X/y-axis curved torus screen in Southern California? Dome - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-03-2009, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to surprise my wife and take her to see 'Transformers the Revenge of the Fallen,' for her birthday, on a huge torus screen curved both vertically and horizontally.

The only other Cinerama I know of is in Seattle. They're infant friendly and don't discriminate against them by charging a seat for them too, unlike Arclight, but are sadly too far away from me . I've been going to movies for over 30 years now, and the Arclight is the ONLY theater to discriminate against an infant.

I don't want to start any arguments about, "that's the theaters right." I don't care, I love my child and he's going, end of discussion. I just want to know about where to see a Cinerama like screen.

On a side note, there's the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center dome in San Diego. But it only shows Imax movies No current releases like Transformers. I've been there and it's an amazing screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-04-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Why not the Carlsbad Village Theater:

That is a TRUE TORUS SCREEN.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Why not the Carlsbad Village Theater:

That is a TRUE TORUS SCREEN.

Thanks. I didn't know about that one.

EDIT

It doesn't look like the Carlsbad Village does current releases? It says:

"Large Cinema Screen Presentations
( DVD-HD – Documentary, Indie & Sports Action Films)"

That means maybe a Blu-ray?
post #4 of 7 Old 06-04-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Did you email AMC to see if there were any other theaters in your area?

Also, you say you didn't want to start an argument, but your very reply implies that those that don't take their kids to the theater don't love their kids.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #5 of 7 Old 06-04-2009, 03:54 PM

You need to visit the Cinema Treasures site its indispensable for feedback on those who have attended grand single screens.

Do search on the site because I live outside the USA its needle in haystack for me, because I haven’t the first clue which and want state still has active Cinerama screens?

This one here is kinder near or maybe a few miles out of your region.
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/3826/

Also Cinerama is three strip projection process that is no longer used only prints that have survived may get special showings now and then.

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingcr1.htm

Not true Cinerama unless Michael Bay said (bugger IMAX lets film it Cinerama intend).
post #6 of 7 Old 06-04-2009, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

Did you email AMC to see if there were any other theaters in your area?

I'll try calling AMC.

I just found out the Carlsbad Village only does: sports, inspirational documentaries and power point presentations for private parties only for using the screen. The previous owner who sold it to him was "very technically minded and wanted the best modern screen." He doesn't really care how great the screen is and therefore doesn't take full advantage of it.

Once a year though, he shows a Warren Miller film using a 70mm ~2,000 lumen xenon bulb film projector. This year it'll be on December 6th. He calls it the "ski spectacular." I'll have to see it. It's near my birthday.

Quote:

Also, you say you didn't want to start an argument, but your very reply implies that those that don't take their kids to the theater don't love their kids.

How so? Can't it be a cultural thing?

In Africa it's indecent for a woman to show her knees and she'll be stoned, but perfectly alright if she goes topless. In America a woman can show her knees but can't show her nipples topless, or she'll go to jail. She won't get stoned, but still punished. Which country's right? Who's the pervert? Who's immoral?

So for my type of "love" my child comes with me everywhere. For yours, maybe not. But this isn't an ethics class. I did that garbage in my university over 10 years ago. In short, what's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander. You can be the goose and I'll stick to being the gander. Also I hate, "that's your opinion!", argument too and people point out you didn't preface it accordingly. Of course it is. Whether or not I state IMO/IMHO, it's still my opinion. We analyzed that in my university classes too. But it doesn't take a university class for someone to know, "Sushi is yucky, don't eat it.", is an opinion, while "don't eat puffer fish if you don't want to risk death from improper preparation.", is a fact.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-04-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

You need to visit the Cinema Treasures site its indispensable for feedback on those who have attended grand single screens.

Do search on the site because I live outside the USA its needle in haystack for me, because I haven’t the first clue which and want state still has active Cinerama screens?

This one here is kinder near or maybe a few miles out of your region.
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/3826/

Also Cinerama is three strip projection process that is no longer used only prints that have survived may get special showings now and then.

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingcr1.htm

Not true Cinerama unless Michael Bay said (bugger IMAX lets film it Cinerama intend).

It's not that far. Only about 50 or so miles away. Would only take ~45 min to get to. I looked it up. It's part of the Fullerton State College campus. They show movies three times a day every Thursday when classes are in session. I might check that one out too.

I know it's a three stripped process. That's why I said, "cinerama like." I thought it was possible with a special projection lens to show a cinerama-like view movie with one projector? I know you can do a dual-axis curved full torus with a CRT projector, like a Barco Reality-909.

I wish Michael would do cinerama-like for TF The cinerama-like format is so much better than Imax. I'm not much into 4:3 format. I like at least 1.6 (European film format, like used on Emmanuelle (1974))or greater ratio.
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page