August 21 = AVATAR Day - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 201 Old 08-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My Denver based friends and I have been able to get confirmation codes (as late as 5 mintues ago) for the Orchard theatre. The site being down yesterday must have meant people couldn't get at that tickety goodness.

How early do you think a one should be to get a good seat? Are people going to be camping out 2 nights before, or is 30 or 45 minutes early reasonable, do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 201 Old 08-18-2009, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 44
I think this is the same link I posted before (about the site crashing) but it has a lot more info about Avatar on it now:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...132f44816b868b
post #33 of 201 Old 08-18-2009, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post

My Denver based friends and I have been able to get confirmation codes (as late as 5 mintues ago) for the Orchard theatre. The site being down yesterday must have meant people couldn't get at that tickety goodness.

How early do you think a one should be to get a good seat? Are people going to be camping out 2 nights before, or is 30 or 45 minutes early reasonable, do you think?

If you are going to a real IMAX theater than the best seats in the house are 4th row from the back in the center of the row.

If you are going to a LieMax theater than somewheres in the middle will be good.

My suggestion is 1 hour early. It's only 16 minutes long so if you can't get a good seat - IMO - not that big of a deal. When I go to my IMAX theater to see a popular show, I get there 90 minutes early and usually wind up at the head of the line.
post #34 of 201 Old 08-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

It's a glorified AMC screen...

Thanks for the advice.
post #35 of 201 Old 08-20-2009, 08:59 AM

Liked: 12
post #36 of 201 Old 08-20-2009, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator View Post

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/hd/

Link broken?

Here is the first Avatar trailer:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/avatar/trailer
post #37 of 201 Old 08-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

The link worked for me.Cool trailer.
post #38 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 01:15 AM

PS3 ready 1080p version of the trailer, as the Apple site is still down depending on your location

AVATAR TEASER TRAILER 1080P PS3 READY
post #39 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 01:31 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Cameron Says Avatar Won't Be Shown the Same Size Everywhere

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/05/...ze-everywhere/

Just got back from the 3D preview (using realD) at Chermside Cinemas in Brisbane Australia and was expecting to see a 1.85 3D image as previously reported.... the preview was in 2.35 scope... so perhaps they've changed their minds.

Matt.G

Matt Goldsmith
DVDown Under
post #40 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 05:59 AM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
I've never been a 3D buff but the trailer looks amazing, I can't wait to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoldsmith View Post

Just got back from the 3D preview (using realD) at Chermside Cinemas in Brisbane Australia and was expecting to see a 1.85 3D image as previously reported.... the preview was in 2.35 scope... so perhaps they've changed their minds.

And??? Jeez, how about a comment ?!
post #41 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Damned right Bogart!!!

Spill the beans...
post #42 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:

(...) the preview was in 2.35 scope... so perhaps they've changed their minds. (...)

Scope 3D? Are you sure they didn't just screw up the aspect ratio?
That would be *great* news... real movie theatres are CIH!

(Disclaimer: the previous comment may or may not be influenced by the fact that *my* auditoria are all 2.35, and I hate pillarboxing )
post #43 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The visual imagery in the trailer looks really really good. The bluish humans/aliens not so much ... why did Cameron have to make them look so ugly? Why do we humans always assume that aliens are bigger, meaner, stronger and uglier?
post #44 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Not always Haroon. The size usually depends on the gravity of the planet. And we see ourselves as beautiful, so they'll usually seem uglier to us. We probably look disgusting to them. How was the acting and photorealism?

David Budo
post #45 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Wait, it's not the 21st yet:S sorry, I thought you were talking about the special sneak peek.

David Budo
post #46 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 12:20 PM

Doesn't look like anyone else is willing to say it, but the trailer was just ok. If I had never heard of Avatar, didn't know it was Cameron, and heard 0 hype, I would have said "meh", and forgotten about it. Looks very cartoonish and cheap.

I'm still holding out that it will be fantastic, but I'm not too impressed at this point...

I'll also admit I haven't seen anything in 3D yet, so there still is that aspect. Maybe mgoldsmith can help us out there.
post #47 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 01:20 PM

There seems to be a lot of hate getting thrown at the trailer on the web. I love Cameron and am dying to see this in 3D. However I am not to sure if the CG is ground breaking or if this is going to break the bank. Maybe it translated better to 3D.

I will be there opening weekend for sure.

Stephen
post #48 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 01:34 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator View Post

Doesn't look like anyone else is willing to say it, but the trailer was just ok. If I had never heard of Avatar, didn't know it was Cameron, and heard 0 hype, I would have said "meh", and forgotten about it. Looks very cartoonish and cheap.

I'm still holding out that it will be fantastic, but I'm not too impressed at this point...

I'll also admit I haven't seen anything in 3D yet, so there still is that aspect. Maybe mgoldsmith can help us out there.

I agree some of it looks very "CGI'ish" and reminded me of Beowulf. It looks like some scenes look "real" and others descend totally into the Beowulf look, I don't know what you call that look but that's how I describe it. Some scenes even seem to combine the two. I must admit that as I was watching it I was giving it some slack as I was imagining that it might be much more immersive in 3D, plus I LOVE the "helicopters" .
post #49 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ View Post

I agree some of it looks very "CGI'ish" and reminded me of Beowulf. It looks like some scenes look "real" and others descend totally into the Beowulf look, I don't know what you call that look but that's how I describe it. Some scenes even seem to combine the two. I must admit that as I was watching it I was giving it some slack as I was imagining that it might be much more immersive in 3D, plus I LOVE the "helicopters" .

There's also the chance some of it wasn't final CG. Some of the CG looks too saturated in color as well as nothing added to it to make it blend with the other shots. (I.E., enough simulated film grain)

Seems everyone who saw the 15 minute preview are saying it plays out way better than it did in the trailer.
post #50 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 03:57 PM

Ok I just got back from a 3d Imax showing and all I can say is, believe all the hype!!! This movie changes everything. Forget the stupid trailer, I dont know why they even released it.

Talk about immersion, in 15 minutes you get totally sucked into this world, not like a 2d movie where you're always aware of the distance between your seat and the screen. This is like being at the edge of a huge endless 3d box that contains the world where the action takes place, kind of like a live play but you're closer, almost in it. This is like nothing I've seen before...Cameron is a God
post #51 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 04:34 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy3d View Post

Ok I just got back from a 3d Imax showing and all I can say is, believe all the hype!!! This movie changes everything. Forget the stupid trailer, I dont know why they even released it.

Talk about immersion, in 15 minutes you get totally sucked into this world, not like a 2d movie where you're always aware of the distance between your seat and the screen. This is like being at the edge of a huge endless 3d box that contains the world where the action takes place, kind of like a live play but you're closer, almost in it. This is like nothing I've seen before...Cameron is a God

Here is a review which seems to echo your sentiment. Readers should beware though that it seems to be full of spoilers, since I intend to see this movie I stopped reading it 1/4 of the way in.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...-james-cameron
post #52 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 05:25 PM

I jaw saw the 16 minute footage. The trailer released yesterday didn't win me over, looked like another special effects movie that with incrementally better CGI than the Lord of the Ring movies.

After seeing the extended preview in 3D, I'm much more positive about this one. The 3D effect was indeed immersive, during about the third clip I forgot I was watching a 3d movie with geeky glasses on my head. It did not have the cheesy stuff being poked in your face, but at times had many detailed layers of depth both in CGI scenes and the live action ones. Nor did it cause any headache inducing vertigo as the 3D technology of the 80's did wi the Blue/Cyan glasses. The clips also used every bit of the IMAX sound system, boom!

Unlike the trailer which only shows 2-3 second cuts mixed together, there was enough shown from each clip to give a feel of how the story is being told, both character interaction as well as action sequences. Looked well developed, hopefully the full version can carry out in the same way.

It has a steep hill to climb though, the hype over this one is huge, and there will definitely be a segment of the market that isn't into 3D fantasy using psychedelic colors and landscapes, remember Tron(2D) being too much for many at the time?

I plan on seeing this one in a 3D theatre for sure.
post #53 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Matt.G

The digital IMAX showd in roughly 1.85, even a very small sliver of unused area was on each side. Full from top to bottom.

Cameron stated in an interview I read that 2D would probably be 2.35, and 3D would be 1.85 showing full frame as it was more immersive. Maybe he's only doing that for IMAX, no way to tell.

I had stated this in original review of extended trailer, but deleted it out. I got my head bit off last time I mentioned Cameron's varying AR's with source material in the T2 BD thread.

I've edited this after seeing this was to be presented in 1.78 in 3D by Lee Stewart post on first page (again I don't read all the threads closely and get myself in trouble) This explains why screen was slightly narrower than the Imax lite screen.
post #54 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 06:07 PM

@biggblucat.. do you know if we'll be able to have this same 3d experience in our home theaters or were these awesome effects generated by some sort of stereographic projector?
post #55 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:

@biggblucat.. do you know if we'll be able to have this same 3d experience in our home theaters or were these awesome effects generated by some sort of stereographic projector?

That would be outside my area of knowledge, there are many here, especially in this area of the forum (ultra high end digi pro. equip) that have much better information on the future of consumer 3D HT.

My only really interest in this sub-group came from a friend and I looked into renovating an old theatre a long time ago and reopening it and I found this is a good place to research....and that the movie theatre biz is not something I should get into.

However, in my opinion, every successful thing in the history of the cinema, widescreen, big screen, mono to stereo to multitrack has found its way into living rooms.
post #56 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i think "eventually" is the answer to that. probably even by the time avatar comes out on blu-ray.
post #57 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 11:14 PM

I saw the Avatar 3D clip this evening at an AMC LieMAX in Denver. First time I’d seen the smaller, digital “IMAX”.

The sound was killer. There was a promo for AMC’s version of IMAX which started out with a bang. Literally. The real IMAX in town has never cranked up the sound like this. Great side and rear surrounds.

That 2D promo was the highlight of the presentation. 3D glasses went on (real heavy duty large polarized plastic glasses which they cherished like Dolby 3D glasses, not little paper ones that the real IMAX uses) and Cameron came on for his short spiel. The first scene looked washed out. Very little dynamic range with whites looking almost crushed. Then they cut to the blue Avatar waking up and running amok. Pretty decent picture. Then we’re in the jungle which had good color saturation, but everything in the picture that wasn’t a close-up was soft and blurry. (Couldn’t be the Christies, could it Peter? ) The limitations of 2K projection were apparent. The rest of the clips reminded me of prehistoric scenes from King Kong/Journey to the Center of the Earth/Jurassic Park, etc. Big animals chasing smallish protagonists.

The polarization was the standard 45 degree system used in most IMAXs. Two projectors were used but ghosting was apparent if you didn’t keep your head vertical. Too bad they can’t use RealD circular polarization. There are wider screens in Denver but of course not as tall. The AR looked wider than 1.78/1.85 but it was impossible to see the ceiling tiles and determine the size of the screen.

The sense of immersion wasn’t much different from the local Cineplex RealD presentation. I was in the middle of the theater, front/back, left/right. You’re looking at a window which contains a 3D image. Nothing like Under the Sea in a real IMAX film theater where the window disappears.

I thought the whole thing was over-hyped but, as Cameron stated, we only saw scenes from the first half of the movie. Maybe the entire film will instill more awe. I will see the movie in an analog IMAX. The best part of the day was my opportunity to see a LieMAX for free. I’ll never be back.
post #58 of 201 Old 08-21-2009, 11:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Avatar: First impressions of a new form of cinema
By Michael Conroy
21 August 2009

James Cameron has been working on his magnum opus since 1994, and it's starting to feel like the PR machine has been whirring along for nearly that long, too. The movie studios have got quite good at this internet marketing thing, and the hype machine seems to have hit overdrive since Twitter now spreads word-of-mouth at the speed of light. The more hype, though, the further the fall from grace. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Terminator Salvation were cut down to size once cinemagoers had actually paid their £10, and even the mighty Watchmen - well, we'll see how that looks in a year's time, once the fan-boy afterglow has worn off.

The level of anticipation generated by Avatar far exceeds any of these films, partly due to its extended gestation period. So it was with a healthy portion of scepticism that I put on the 3D glasses to experience the 15-minute preview that's the focus of what's been dubbed "Avatar Day".

The screening opens with a stirring address from Earth's military commander, setting the stage for what I'm sure we're meant to interpret as an "epic" battle between mankind and the Na'vi, an advanced humanoid alien race. The camera pans to a young man wheeling himself into the room, determined, driven, but unlike the other soldiers in the room, wheelchair bound. Thus we are introduced to Jake Sully, a former marine left paralysed from the waist down in combat. His role is to scout the Na'vi planet in preparation for the coming war, using a technology which allows his mind to inhabit and control a Na'vi body - his avatar.

There's not much more to say about the plot, as the preview was merely a series of two or three-minute scenes, strung together with thin strands of storyline.

But you do get an amazing sense of the film's style.

The clips flitted from a battle command room, to a frantic forest chase scene, to lush magical glades and soaring, floating mountains between which dragons soared majestically in their hundreds. It's impossible to describe in words the sheer beauty of Cameron's realisation of his hybrid world of science fiction and fantasy, but as you observe the sheer scale, magnificence and care that has gone into the creatures and settings, you realise you're experiencing a perfect moment of fantasy indulgence. You realise that yes, this is what science fiction and fantasy should look like. You may have had the same feeling when you first saw a lightsabre drawn, or those wondrous first moments of magic in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Cameron's boyhood fascination with fiction really shows, but to me the world feels like some sort of beautiful merging of The Legend of Zelda, Halo and Bioshock. I was utterly awestruck by the majesty of the world presented, for the first time since Peter Jacksons' interpretation of The Lord Of The Rings.

The sense of style is enhanced by the technology which buoys this film. The highest praise for Cameron's melding of cinema with stereoscopic 3D (the type with the dorky glasses) is that you could tell that for him, 3D is a means of expression, not an effects tool. He minimises the use of the "extreme close up" 3D effects, the objects seemingly so close to you that you could touch them, which is a blessing. It allows him to take proper advantage of the real benefit of 3D, which is to give the entire film an amazing sense of depth. After the first minute, your eyes adjust and other than the occasional money-shot, you find yourself relaxing into the immersive experience, free to enjoy the wonder of the film, not the effects themselves.

Much has been made of the alleged 60/40 split of CGI and live action, respectively. Just as much has been written about the fact that part of the reason for Avatar's delay was Cameron waiting for the state of the art to catch up with his vision for the film. So did he achieve his aim of photorealistic CGI? I think the question misses the point. Regardless of how highly detailed the CGI may be, you're still aware of its presence because, well, you didn't ride a dragon to work this morning. Of course it's CGI. But more important than the level of realism is the skill with which Cameron has integrated live action and rendered imagery. There's no jarring juxtaposition of live action and CGI, or even of flat versus 3D. Cameron is the first director to mix all these elements seamlessly.

Another technology invented for the benefit of Avatar, and the one that I believe will enhance the film the most, is the unique method of motion capture. A skull cap worn by the actors during filming captured up to 95 per cent of their facial expressions, which were then transferred to their CGI representations, and the narrative truly reaps the rewards. Cameron's creations don't have that slightly drunk, overacted quality that other CGI leads seem to have. In Avatar, the characters' faces engage you with subtlety, immediacy and immense range which creates a level of empathy hitherto unachieved by rendered characters. While not on the same level as live action, these virtual lead actors are able to convey emotion with the style and dexterity of the best 2D animated films. In Avatar, CGI finally climbs out of Uncanny Valley, and the view is amazing.

I realise these impressions seem breathless and overexcited, especially considering this was just a 15-minute preview screening. But this is the first time the technology of a film, and the promise for the future of cinema it heralds, has truly excited me. Even if Cameron's story lets us down in December, I'm confident that every one of us will exit the cinema saying to one another, without hyperbole, that the effects were mind-blowing.
post #59 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 12:39 AM

here's a link to a 1080p mp4 PS3 ready version of the trailer, for those still experiencing trouble with the apple site

http://rapidshare.com/files/26975255...tsr_h1080p.mp4

Just copy it on a usb stick and connect to your ps3, it will read it.
post #60 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ View Post

I've never been a 3D buff but the trailer looks amazing, I can't wait to see it.

And??? Jeez, how about a comment ?!

Personally because of all the hype about this being so groundbreaking, etc,etc,etc, for me it ended up with the preview being a bit of a let down. The 3D effect was very impressive and immersive, as expected, but some of the CGI did look more like super-looking pixar animation, rather than truly being photo-realistic imagery... some looked exceptional though and perhaps they'll do some more tweaking up until the release date... I actually though the aliens in District 9 looked far more realistic and 'actually there on set' than the one's in avatar...but that could also be a result of the degraded look that came with D9 to hide any CG flaws, whereas avatar was stunningly clean and clear all over so there's no chance of hiding any such flaws.

Either way, based on the past JC films... all of which i've thoroughly enjoyed, i'd imagine Avatar will be a pretty good movie at the end of the day... the preview snippets really only seems to highlight the imagery and 3D...i deliberately held off watching the trailer until after i saw the preview... something i regret as there was some elements of the trailer that helped to flesh out the story a tad more and would have made the scenes transition at the beginning of the preview make more sense... but i guess they really didn't want to give too much of the story away at this stage so it much have been hard to pick the scenes to for the preview.

The Brisbane screen was standard 3D realD, so perhaps the 1.78 aspect is only for IMAX. The digital theatre in which it was previewed doesn't crop films to fill the scope screen, as the last 2 films i saw in there where District 9, and Coraline 3D..both of which were 1.85:1.... the screen in this cinema is so big that they [unfortunately] don't have side masking as there is not room on either side to draw them back, so for 1.85 films they leave the sides of the actually screen area exposed (making it a dark grey....blech!).... for avatar it was full width scope 3D, and they must have some serious lumens cranking out of that baby as it was the punchiest digital 3D image i've seen to date.

Matt Goldsmith
DVDown Under
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page