August 21 = AVATAR Day - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did Jim Henson do the aliens? They look kinda like Gelflings from The Dark Crystal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 02:16 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Some very interesting viewer observations here. I would recommend skipping to exactly 3 minutes in to where they interview the geeky guys and they actually give some meaningful observations.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/08/...did-you-think/

The consensus seems to be:
1. Very immersive layered 3D without the cheap shock effects of past attempts.

2. Still seems to be a distracting separation/conflict for some people between "real" and "Beowulf type CGI".

I can't wait to see it but from afar I wish he has taken the Perter Jackson LOTR approach and not have inserted the cartoonish looking CGI into the movie. But I may eat my words when I see it.
post #63 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 10:03 AM

Liked: 10
Contrary to what the article says, the trailer is NOT in 3d. I have RealD polarized glasses and both the trailer on the site and on Apple.com are 2d only.

Bummer.
post #64 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 10:26 AM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GINTER View Post

Contrary to what the article says, the trailer is NOT in 3d. I have RealD polarized glasses and both the trailer on the site and on Apple.com are 2d only.

What article? I didn't see anything in the one I quoted saying anything about the online trailer. Are you referring to a different article?
post #65 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 44
Quote:

Bummer.

They are referencing the 16 minute trailer that played in select IMAX theaters on the 21st. That was in 3D.
post #66 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Bummer.

We're not talking about the 2 minute 10 second trailer posted on the website, we're talking about the 16 minute Preview on August 21 in IMAX 3D theatres in the U.S. as well as in IMAX or RealD 3D in some theatres overseas.
post #67 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggblukat View Post

We're not talking about the 2 minute 10 second trailer posted on the website, we're talking about the 16 minute Preview on August 21 in IMAX 3D theatres in the U.S. as well as in IMAX or RealD 3D in some theatres overseas.

I realize that you were talking about the longer 16 minute preview. I was referring to:

dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1208038/Avatar-How-James-Camerons-3D-film-change-face-cinema-forever.html#ixzz0Oq8eMSRE

As in:

See the trailer here:

(PS: Sadly, without the polarised glasses, the trailer will only appear in 2D)

In general, are there ANY PC/MAC viewable RealD trailers that will show 3d when viewed using the polarized glasses? Even the 3d preview on the RealD site is not in 3d.

Links anyone?
post #68 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I realize that you were talking about the longer 16 minute preview. I was referring to:

dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1208038/Avatar-How-James-Camerons-3D-film-change-face-cinema-forever.html#ixzz0Oq8eMSRE

As in:

See the trailer here:

(PS: Sadly, without the polarised glasses, the trailer will only appear in 2D)

In general, are there ANY PC/MAC viewable RealD trailers that will show 3d when viewed using the polarized glasses? Even the 3d preview on the RealD site is not in 3d.

Links anyone?

no that's technologically not possible. you can only see that in effect in theatres. whoever wrote the article was mistaken.
post #69 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 12:56 PM

How about TV/LCD/PS3/BluRay?
post #70 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujay View Post

whoever wrote the article was mistaken.

We are talking about the Daily Mail here.
post #71 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How about TV/LCD/PS3/BluRay?

no can't be done. you'd need a new device cable of doing 3d somehow but there are many different technologies at play at this time and they're not even that common. there is no standard yet for blu-ray 3d. and even when that comes, it's likely you'd need new equipment to view it.

http://www.reald.com/Content/Products-Ordering.aspx
post #72 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:

no can't be done. you'd need a new device cable of doing 3d somehow but there are many different technologies at play at this time and they're not even that common. there is no standard yet for blu-ray 3d. and even when that comes, it's likely you'd need new equipment to view it.

http://www.reald.com/Content/Products-Ordering.aspx

If memory servers, I recall sometime in the 90's there was a TV commercial in black and white that used polarized thechnology to show that 3d could be done in other than the blue-amber/red way. Perhaps thre's hope..

Thanks everyone.
post #73 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If memory servers, I recall sometime in the 90's there was a TV commercial in black and white that used polarized thechnology to show that 3d could be done in other than the blue-amber/red way. Perhaps thre's hope..

Thanks everyone.

If you want to see how 3D is progressing - here is a great thread to review. You can start at the last page and work your ways backwards:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17047312

And a website dedicated to 3D news:

http://www.stereoscopy.com/news/index.html
post #74 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Links anyone?

No, not in a RealD, IMAX 3d, or Dolby 3D method. These all either depend on using polarized playback two projectors with a polarizing lense on each projector output for each eye or a single projector like the the RealD system that can 'pulse' each frame and 'pulse' a semi-transparent polarizing screen in front of the camera back and forth with conjunction of left eye/right eye.

In either example, both the right and left eye image is on the screen shows up at the same time, but only with a correct pair of polarizing glasses, is each eye clearly able to see what the left and right eye are supposed to.

What you are referring to is a anaglyphy, taking glasses made of red/cyan or red/green, etc, and making an illusion of 3D from 2D movies or pictures. (originally made with true 3D equipment, but not played back that way) Sadly, this is the way most of us have seen 3D movies from the 80's and 90's. This is the equivalent of taking two images and and putting them on a 2D image. I saw Jaws 3D in the 80's this way, it does look 3D, but it is head-ache inducing and very uncomfortable.

The article you linked is written is poorly written regarding current 3D technology. The new systems using polarization (linear or circular) are much better. Anything using conventional broadcast technology would have used red/cyan or similar technology.

This the uphill battle that this movie has, many in the media do not understand the advances in playback technology to show things how they were originally intended to be.
post #75 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 05:56 PM

I will add another link to what Lee posted.

Left/Right Eye Vision
post #76 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

hey a bit off topic... remember deep color? xv color, whatever is the one that's compatible on blu-ray/ps3/etc... can a movie like this be "converted" into that standard when it comes out on blu-ray because surely the master will have a wider color gamut that what we usually get on disc. i've never really understood that cause i keep hearing that only some camcorders are able to produce content with deep color.
post #77 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

hey a bit off topic... remember deep color? xv color, whatever is the one that's compatible on blu-ray/ps3/etc... can a movie like this be "converted" into that standard when it comes out on blu-ray because surely the master will have a wider color gamut that what we usually get on disc. i've never really understood that cause i keep hearing that only some camcorders are able to produce content with deep color.

Deep Color is not the same as XV.Color. Deep Color is increasing the color space using additional bits (10, 12 or 16 per color versus the 8 we have today) which results in billions and trillions of colors. XV.YCC or XV Color is only 1.7 (?) X the amount of colors that RGB Color (16.7M) can produce. And yes - it is only available on certain camcorders.

AFAIK, the specs of BD do not allow any increase in the color space past RGB Color.
post #78 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Deep Color is not the same as XV.Color. Deep Color is increasing the color space using additional bits (10, 12 or 16 per color versus the 8 we have today) which results in billions and trillions of colors. XV.YCC or XV Color is only 1.7 (?) X the amount of colors that RGB Color (16.7M) can produce. And yes - it is only available on certain camcorders.

AFAIK, the specs of BD do not allow any increase in the color space past RGB Color.

ah okay thanks for the info. so it's BD that's the restriction here. i suppose i can live with that.
post #79 of 201 Old 08-26-2009, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

ah okay thanks for the info. so it's BD that's the restriction here. i suppose i can live with that.

That isn't to say that in the future - they revise the BD specs and add (say) 10 bit Deep Color.

But when you increase the color space - you also increase the size of the file. The more bits for the color space - the larger the file.

How much larger? Not good at that math.
post #80 of 201 Old 08-30-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This one had me laughing:

Hitler learns that the Avatar trailer sucks

Not for those offended by colorful language in subtitles.
post #81 of 201 Old 08-31-2009, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke6 View Post

That was much more entertaining than the actual Avatar trailer!
post #82 of 201 Old 09-01-2009, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
ok, so i watched the trailers and i think i get it. But please correct me if i am wrong.

1. Bad old agressive earthmen go on to conquer/attack a peaceful non technic society. (who also have evolved as larger but nonetheless bi-pedal life form)
2. One soldier who has a spinal injury of some sort (likely throw in a sad story there of how it happened at the hands of the aliens) (also ignoring that we have somehow cracked the nut of C+ speeds in spaceflight but not the spinal cord injury thing) gets some sort of treatment (alien DNA i have to assume) (also going to ignore the assumption that in some way our DNA and theirs are compatible.) and becomes one of them!
3. New human/alien gets ostracized in some way from his buddies.
4. he gets taken in by aliens.
5. THey dont trust him
6. Once he proves himself in battle, the female he likes comes around to him.
7. After a harrowing battle where they almost lose... the nasty warmongering earthlings are defeated by the usually peaceful non technic tree huggers! they win! and of course it cound not have happened without the insight and nasty nature of earthman.
8. He is accepted into alien society.
9. Credits roll
10. James Cameron buys another country, then goes off to make aquaman with Vincent CHase in the lead role!

Oh... wait... its in THE GREATEST 3D YOU HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!! so that allows all other injuries done by bad story to be excused.

Proud Daddy to Anastasia and Christopher.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...
http://commonsensehasdied.blogspot.com/
post #83 of 201 Old 09-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzman View Post

ok, so i watched the trailers and i think i get it. But please correct me if i am wrong.

1. Bad old agressive earthmen go on to conquer/attack a peaceful non technic society. (who also have evolved as larger but nonetheless bi-pedal life form)
2. One soldier who has a spinal injury of some sort (likely throw in a sad story there of how it happened at the hands of the aliens) (also ignoring that we have somehow cracked the nut of C+ speeds in spaceflight but not the spinal cord injury thing) gets some sort of treatment (alien DNA i have to assume) (also going to ignore the assumption that in some way our DNA and theirs are compatible.) and becomes one of them!
3. New human/alien gets ostracized in some way from his buddies.
4. he gets taken in by aliens.
5. THey dont trust him
6. Once he proves himself in battle, the female he likes comes around to him.
7. After a harrowing battle where they almost lose... the nasty warmongering earthlings are defeated by the usually peaceful non technic tree huggers! they win! and of course it cound not have happened without the insight and nasty nature of earthman.
8. He is accepted into alien society.
9. Credits roll
10. James Cameron buys another country, then goes off to make aquaman with Vincent CHase in the lead role!

Oh... wait... its in THE GREATEST 3D YOU HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!! so that allows all other injuries done by bad story to be excused.

Like a Dances with Wolves in space thing. Either the evil humans are after the planet, or it natural resources.

I think the human is deliberately changed into one of the aliens to infiltrate them, but as you note, he becomes quite fond of their simple Gelfling ways and turns on his human overlords.

I hate to think the whole thing boils down to anything this mundane. Surely there will be some totally 'never saw that coming' catch? I mean didn't you see what it said at the start of the clip! This guy was behind Titanic! I hear that Celine has penned a song so moving, that there are fears the 3D effect will be ruined by the tears welling up in even the most bitter videophile's eyes.
post #84 of 201 Old 09-01-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Having not seen the trailer, I'm hoping you guys are just over simplifying the story(to which you haven't yet fully seen). Why do you use "evil humans" in such a negative way? So many sci-fi movies where the aliens come to earth to try to take our resources, this seems like a welcome change to me. Many humans are evil, in my opinion.

David Budo
post #85 of 201 Old 09-01-2009, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke6 View Post

Ha ha ha ha! "Maybe the videogame is good"

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #86 of 201 Old 09-02-2009, 01:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Having not seen the trailer, I'm hoping you guys are just over simplifying the story(to which you haven't yet fully seen). Why do you use "evil humans" in such a negative way? So many sci-fi movies where the aliens come to earth to try to take our resources, this seems like a welcome change to me. Many humans are evil, in my opinion.

It is just some humorous speculation at this point. Take a look at the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXF2n...eature=related

I like my sci-fi to be quite dark (like alien(s), the thing, the 1st terminator etc) but of course Avatar may have a much deeper story than this admittedly brief insight gives. I still think Dizzman's analysis of the trailer is probably quite close to the reality. We shall see.

O.T. The sci-fi film that would have been the most interesting to me would have been a sequel to original Alien movie that explored the origin of the craft that was discovered on the planet that contained all the eggs. I recall Ridley Scott saying that the eggs (and subsequent Zenomorphs) could have been a bio-mechanoid weapon used by the species who owned the ship that had crashed.

I would have loved to have seen a movie made that featured a story line were we discovered the origin of the craft and perhaps went to investigate, or, even discovered it by accident. Scott was interested in this idea, but no one produced a screen play of sufficient quality.

This story line was explored to a degree in the early Aliens Vs Predator video games, but the AVP films are just hideous rubbish which have probably ruined the franchise forever.
post #87 of 201 Old 09-02-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Of late i have been reading LOTS of Sci Fi. mostly going through stuff i lifted from my fathers MASSIVE collection when he died. Lots of Poul Anderson and the like.

So REAL sci fi. a big part of these books is the fact that SCIENCE is the first part of it. Sure we take liberties in things like warp drive, but the simple fact is that you have to since if we are talking about slower than light travel, we will never expand past our solar system in any meaningful way. this of course means that "space war" cant really happen.

My point is that the great part of good sci fi is the fact that they do their research. and a whole society is imagined. there is no imagining that alien DNA and ours are compatible, things as simple (releatively speaking) as fixing broken nerves are assumed to be done. Wars are fought for real reasons, and things like moving THOUSANDS of troops and landing craft is reserved for a time when the massive amounts of resources needed balance with the strategic value of the target.

the amount of leaps that seem to be taken in that trailer (for me) seem to place it south of "CONTACT" (fantastic book HORRID movie) and firmly in the world of fantasy. Now dont get me wrong, fantasty like LOTR is amazing. but that was all about the story captivating you.

I sure hope that we do not have another waterworld.

Proud Daddy to Anastasia and Christopher.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...
http://commonsensehasdied.blogspot.com/
post #88 of 201 Old 09-02-2009, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraalphahotel View Post

It is just some humorous speculation at this point. Take a look at the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXF2n...eature=related

I like my sci-fi to be quite dark (like alien(s), the thing, the 1st terminator etc) but of course Avatar may have a much deeper story than this admittedly brief insight gives. I still think Dizzman's analysis of the trailer is probably quite close to the reality. We shall see.

O.T. The sci-fi film that would have been the most interesting to me would have been a sequel to original Alien movie that explored the origin of the craft that was discovered on the planet that contained all the eggs. I recall Ridley Scott saying that the eggs (and subsequent Zenomorphs) could have been a bio-mechanoid weapon used by the species who owned the ship that had crashed.

I would have loved to have seen a movie made that featured a story line were we discovered the origin of the craft and perhaps went to investigate, or, even discovered it by accident. Scott was interested in this idea, but no one produced a screen play of sufficient quality.

This story line was explored to a degree in the early Aliens Vs Predator video games, but the AVP films are just hideous rubbish which have probably ruined the franchise forever.

Done!

Ridley Scott's 'Alien' prequel: Who's gonna be the new Ripley?

Quote:

The news that director Ridley Scott is returning to the Alien franchise — which he started back with the 1979 original — for a prequel is fantastic. After all, Scott is, as Michael Mann once described him to Russell Crowe, “one of the top 2 percent of shooters in the history of cinema.” So I’m giddy to see what Scott does with such rich material. (Plus, whatever he comes up with has to be better than Alien vs. Predator 2: The Suckening.) I’ve got got two questions

http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/07/31/ri...he-new-ripley/
post #89 of 201 Old 09-02-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzman View Post

Of late i have been reading LOTS of Sci Fi. mostly going through stuff i lifted from my fathers MASSIVE collection when he died. Lots of Poul Anderson and the like.

So REAL sci fi. a big part of these books is the fact that SCIENCE is the first part of it. Sure we take liberties in things like warp drive, but the simple fact is that you have to since if we are talking about slower than light travel, we will never expand past our solar system in any meaningful way. this of course means that "space war" cant really happen.

My point is that the great part of good sci fi is the fact that they do their research. and a whole society is imagined. there is no imagining that alien DNA and ours are compatible, things as simple (releatively speaking) as fixing broken nerves are assumed to be done. Wars are fought for real reasons, and things like moving THOUSANDS of troops and landing craft is reserved for a time when the massive amounts of resources needed balance with the strategic value of the target.

the amount of leaps that seem to be taken in that trailer (for me) seem to place it south of "CONTACT" (fantastic book HORRID movie) and firmly in the world of fantasy. Now dont get me wrong, fantasty like LOTR is amazing. but that was all about the story captivating you.

I sure hope that we do not have another waterworld.

Did you see that TV show where they took swabs of something like 20,000 different people from all over the world and found . . .

The DNA was 99.9% the same!

I believe (?) the difference between a chimps DNA and a humans DNA is only about a 5% difference.

And the key word is FICTION.

Concerning wars - have you read Joe Halderman's short story(s) about "corporate wars?"

They fight battles for corporate take overs using no technology that came after the year 1900. Each company recurits soliders to fight the battles which are televised on TV. The winner gets all the stock in the losing company and people can buy stock in either company before the battle.
post #90 of 201 Old 09-03-2009, 01:06 AM

MotoGP In Three Dimensions
Saturday, 29 August 2009

3D cinematography has taken the world of motion pictures by storm, and the same technology is now set to revolutionise sports broadcasting, with MotoGP taking part in this revolution.

In conjunction with 3D and digital systems specialists, Pace, Dorna Sports carried out a successful trial of the latest high definition 3D Fusion camera systems during the recent Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix at Laguna Seca.

Academy Award winner, John Bruno, and company founder, Vince Pace, captured track footage, pit action and interviews at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, with the same groundbreaking 3D camera technology used to shoot the forthcoming sci-fi epic, Avatar - director James Cameron's first major motion picture since Titanic.

The Cameron/Pace designed 3D Fusion system relies on a dual lens system to capture left-eye and right-eye imagery separately - allowing the recreation of the field perception depth in post-production - and combines two HD camera bodies and a special acquisition rig.

The test video footage shot at Laguna Seca was edited into a three-minute video loop, designed to show how Pace's 3D Fusion system can enhance the viewing experience of the world's premier two-wheeled motorsport championship.

The demonstration 3D video was screened to a very select audience, including Dani Pedrosa and Jorge Lorenzo, for the first time during the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix. Despite being produced only for evaluation, feedback from everyone who saw the demonstration video was overwhelmingly positive.

"It was amazing," declared Pedrosa. "I saw a brief demonstration in Laguna, but this was more detailed today. When you see the images it's really impressive; it's like actually being there at the racetrack."

The Laguna Seca 3D trial, which was almost a year in the planning, was the brainchild of world renowned visual effects specialist, John Bruno: "I saw MotoGP and I knew that this was the sport that would showcase our 3D technology to best effect."

"Dorna already has a reputation for bringing the camera to the most demanding and entertaining position, as the racers speed around the track in excess of 300 km/h," said Vince Pace who, with James Cameron, developed the 3D Fusion system. "Together I am confident that we can use our 3D system to enhance this reputation further, putting the viewer onboard with the rider as they actually ride the race."

"Everyone at Pace is looking forward to working with Dorna in the future, to bring this unique 3D experience to MotoGP viewers worldwide," concluded Pace.

"It's imperative that, as the leading two-wheeled motorsports championship in the world, we keep abreast of all emerging video technologies, and how they may be used to enhance the service we provide to our broadcast partners," said Manel Arroyo, Managing Director of Dorna.

"Already we're working on introducing high definition coverage of MotoGP in 2010, and live, high definition 3D coverage could well be the next step if demand is there from our partner broadcasters."

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2009/M...ree+Dimensions
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page