Advertisement

post #182 of 201 Old 12-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/31/...aspect-ratios/

Here's a little on the aspect ratio difference for 2D and 3D.
post #183 of 201 Old 12-15-2009, 11:26 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post

some questions:

And #2. My local AMC is showing Avatar in both Real-D (I think) and IMAX-3D. Please compare and contrast. Thank you!

xhonzi, I assume you're talking about the AMC 24 in Westminster, CO. I was there today to see Dave Matthews Larger Than Life in RealD. Picture was OK, sound was better. I also saw the 3D preview of Avatar in their digital IMAX theater. There's no comparison. Comparing digital to digital, the IMAX has a picture that's twice as big, much brighter, huge sound. It would be the only theater in which to see Avatar if you're going to that venue.

That being said, after seeing A Christmas Carol at the film based UA IMAX in Denver (I also saw it in RealD), that's where I'll be watching Avatar. The 2K PJs used in the digital IMAX just don't have the resolution.

If you get a chance to see it in both versions of IMAX I'd like your reaction.
post #184 of 201 Old 12-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Actually the AMC Orchard-12 on 144th.
post #185 of 201 Old 12-16-2009, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Avatar Breaks IMAX's Wide Release Record.

http://screencrave.com/2009-12-14/av...lease-rec ord/

David Budo
post #186 of 201 Old 12-16-2009, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the Real3D screening that i saw of it today in OZ (chermside megaplex) was in 2.35.. if they were cropping it, it's the best crop job i've ever seen.....but then again, the preview version was also 2.35:1.

BTW the film was pretty damn spectacular and very much worth seeing twice imo (and it far surpassed the impression I got from the sneak preview)..... the only problem was that 20 minutes before the film ended (just as something pivotal was about to happen)... the screen went completely black!!!!..... the monkeys running the multiplex's PJ booths must have set the wrong sessions end time as the PJ suddenly switched off and the side lights turned on.......

Interestingly, I found that the live-action 3D had this odd sheen to it, and it was a little harder to focus on at times ... whereas the CGI-world was very easy on the eyes in comparison.....

Matt Goldsmith
post #187 of 201 Old 12-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnty View Post

xhonzi, I assume you're talking about the AMC 24 in Westminster, CO. I was there today to see Dave Matthews Larger Than Life in RealD. Picture was OK, sound was better. I also saw the 3D preview of Avatar in their digital IMAX theater. There's no comparison. Comparing digital to digital, the IMAX has a picture that's twice as big, much brighter, huge sound. It would be the only theater in which to see Avatar if you're going to that venue.

That being said, after seeing A Christmas Carol at the film based UA IMAX in Denver (I also saw it in RealD), that's where I'll be watching Avatar. The 2K PJs used in the digital IMAX just don't have the resolution.

If you get a chance to see it in both versions of IMAX I'd like your reaction.

Is it fair to compare the Dave Matthews show to Avatar? You may be right and I may just have to see it again on the IMAX at Dave and Busters, but I wonder how much of the difference you noticed was the source material and not the presentation?
post #188 of 201 Old 12-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Well my theater gets its print tomorrow and we will be showing the 3D print in Flat. When we got our Christie 2K projector. They installed it in one of the older houses with working side masking. We got an additional 4 theaters in 2002 and have the top and bottom moving masking. Since we are in the old we would have black bars on the top and bottom of our screen. So in order to meet their request. We shall be using their Flat print version for the theater presentation. First i have ever heard of this happening

Supporting both HD-DVD and Blu-ray
My DVD Collection
post #189 of 201 Old 12-16-2009, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Avatar World and U.S. Premieres Tap RealD 3D

First Ever 3D Showing at Famed Grauman's Chinese Theatre

http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/pr.aspx?newsID=1636

Too bad it won't actually be playing there during it's theatrical run. 3-D would be awesome in Grauman's with it's huge non distorted screen.
post #190 of 201 Old 12-17-2009, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Yesterday, I attended one of the world's premieres in Odeon Kosmopolis cinema (Athens, Greece), where they were using the Dolby3D system.
Until yesterday, my only 3D experience was the U23D in RealD, which left me underwhelmed. I don't know if it was the cinematography of this specific movie (Avatar) or/and the Dolby 3D system, but the result was most satisfying!
Not only the movie and the fantastic world created by Cameron were SPECTACULAR, but I was convinced that, when used properly, 3D IS the future!
Technically speaking, the image was adequately bright (although I wished for more..), plenty sharp, with decent black levels and most importantly with impressing 3D feeling, especially in the digitally created sequences of Pandora.
James Cameron's attention to every little detail was astonishing! You can only compare this imaginary world to the ones in Star Wars and LOTR, but this one was probably more engaging thanks to the 3D technology.
Needless to say I am Sold, and I will definitely try to replicate this feeling in my own Home Theater when the technology is more mature...
Kudos to James Cameron..

A Never Ending Quest Τowards Visual Nirvana..
post #191 of 201 Old 12-18-2009, 01:52 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Went to see it at d-IMAX 3-D, phenomenal.

3-D will never be the same...

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #192 of 201 Old 12-18-2009, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Official review:

4.5/5
A marine in the year 2154 is given the opportunity to mentally pilot a mixed DNA alien/human body on the moon, Pandora, in order to make friendly with it's native inhabitants, but his initial objectives come into question when he meets the tribes princess, Neytiri. This is the first film James Cameron has written and directed since Titanic(1997) and he doesn't disappoint. Far from it actually, he managed to create an entire alien world full of wondrous life, both plant and animal. After developing new ways to capture the movements of actors faces, the animated intelligent lifeforms called Na'vi, are brought to life with more realism than any computer animated character before. Not only is the animation exceptional, but a new way of shooting 3D, developed by James Cameron and Vincent Pace, was used to shoot this film. The 3D creates an immersive experience, but it does so like no film before it, and must be experienced first hand to understand. The story is relevant to our planet today and the characters are easy to relate to. I thought the acting was enjoyable overall, with Zoe Saldana's performance extending through her digital character very convincingly. This is a landmark for film making, and will take audiences breath away with the beauty of the universe you're transported to, and the lives who inhabit it.

I watched it in IMAX 15/70 3D, and noticed very minimal ghosting. The detail was unbelievable and there were no edge enhancement artifacts whatsoever. One of the managers asked me to go check out a few minutes of the RealD 3D presentation after the IMAX showing was finished, and tell him what I thought. Lucky me since they had a problem with the last few minutes of the RealD going blank before it ended The RealD 2K 3D had a more stable image, but much lower light level and far lower detail. Between the two, I'd choose IMAX 15/70mm 3D. Can't wait to exerience it again.

David Budo
post #193 of 201 Old 12-18-2009, 04:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I saw this early this morning/last night and it is the most incredible theatrical experience I can recall having. I've trashed digital IMAX before, but saw it this way because I thought the 2 projectors would help keep the image bright enough. And it looked bright enough to me. I think this combination really works for 3D.

I think James Cameron and/or Fox got their money's worth on this one whatever they spent and that Panasonic did well to make a deal for this movie. This is one that I'll definitely want to have 3D at home for. I hope they release James Cameron's Ghost of the Abyss in 3D around the same time.

The reviewer who said that it was like Cameron created another planet and then took us there seemed spot on to me.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #194 of 201 Old 12-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

I saw this early this morning/last night and it is the most incredible theatrical experience I can recall having. I've trashed digital IMAX before, but saw it this way because I thought the 2 projectors would help keep the image bright enough. And it looked bright enough to me. I think this combination really works for 3D.

I think James Cameron and/or Fox got their money's worth on this one whatever they spent and that Panasonic did well to make a deal for this movie. This is one that I'll definitely want to have 3D at home for. I hope they release James Cameron's Ghost of the Abyss in 3D around the same time.

The reviewer who said that it was like Cameron created another planet and then took us there seemed spot on to me.

--Darin

Digital Imax is using 2 projectors? I'm jealous! The Dolby 3D presentation of Avatar was fantastic, with the exception of camera movement producing a sort-of ghosting/trailing effect. I've seen several films in Dolby 3D where low light scenes looked awful, but I was truly surprised yesterday that many low light scenes held up pretty well in Avatar...for whatever reason.
post #195 of 201 Old 12-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

The initial numbers are good. I hope it does really well and continues to rake in the green dough worldwide. Two versions of Avatar will be released next year according to Cameron. A non 3D BR version six months into 2010 and then a 3D BR version of the movie in the latter part of the year once the 3D BR players have been released. Exciting times for sure.
post #196 of 201 Old 12-23-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I'm in Avatar IMAX. Previews are very cool. (3D).

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #197 of 201 Old 12-23-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Excellent. What a spectacle.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #198 of 201 Old 12-23-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

According to http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart...9-12-22&p=.htm, Avatar has grossed over $16 million both Monday and Tuesday, domestically and is at $109,497,762 through 5 days. Those are really impressive numbers

Worldwide so far $301,308,992

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

David Budo
post #199 of 201 Old 12-31-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just came back from watching it.....one word......WOW!

tony4k
post #200 of 201 Old 12-31-2009, 10:34 PM

Currently at over $745 MILLION grossed worldwide. What an amazing achievement James Cameron!

|OOO| Sony VPH-1272QM

Regards,
Kurt
Melbourne, Australia
post #201 of 201 Old 01-07-2010, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Watched it in RealD at a theater here in Ann Arbor. Gotta love those Wednesday afternoon showings. Only 21 people in the theater!
Avatar was great! Loved the 3D, nothing to complain about. Although the story line was nothing new the visuals made up for it.
Hope that 3D becomes affordable to have at home.
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page