D-cinema gets $525 mil boost - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 09-11-2009, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Consortium's fund will bankroll 15,000 conversions

By Carl DiOrio Sept 10, 2009, 11:00 PM ET

Stop the presses! Digital dollars are finally on the way ... and should arrive in November.

JP Morgan next week will send out briefing books for a $525 million financing of up to 15,000 d-cinema installations over the next five years at the nation's three biggest movie circuits. The circuits -- Regal, AMC and Cinemark -- will add 3D equipment at many of the sites.
There are now fewer than 7,000 movie-quality digital screens in the U.S. and Canada. Once fully funded, DCIP aims to convert an additional 500 screens per month to digital projection, meaning the likelihood of 12,000-13,000 digital screens in operation by the end of 2010.
see full article at http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...b396ac259a5407
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-11-2009, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Even after the accomplish ther goal (in however many years) that is still about only half of existing movies screens in the USA:

http://www.natoonline.org/statisticsscreens.htm
post #3 of 31 Old 09-13-2009, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I wonder if they're going to use the Sony 4k's for all the theaters? I hope not. Hurry up TI!!!

David Budo
post #4 of 31 Old 09-14-2009, 09:06 AM

Liked: 10
Why would TI be any rush for 4k? The reason Sony pushes 4k LCoS is because it can show 2k 3d on just one projector.

Movies aren't going 4k. Pixar isn't going to start rendering their films at 4k. The costs would rise astronomically. CGI special effects for movies aren't going to be rendered at 4k because once again the costs would rise.

If your movie theater has a 4k projector, all that will happen for a 2d presentation is it'll take a source 2k movie and interpolate the resolution (upscale) it to 4k.

I'll make a random guess that 85% of movie screens will end up being 2k DLP projectors.
post #5 of 31 Old 09-14-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

True about the 4k films and I hope you're right about the 85%.

David Budo
post #6 of 31 Old 09-15-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone-1 View Post

Why would TI be any rush for 4k? The reason Sony pushes 4k LCoS is because it can show 2k 3d on just one projector.
I'll make a random guess that 85% of movie screens will end up being 2k DLP projectors.

Sony has made a big deal about 4K resolution for some time now. The 3D accessory is quite new. Previously, a theater needed a pair of Sony units for 3D. DLP has done 3D with one projector all along. I think 4K is still Sony's key selling point.

TI had 85% or more of the market. But then AMC signed up for about 4,600 Sony 4K projectors in March. Then Regal with 6,700 screens signed up for Sony 4K projectors in May . That left the third big chain in the U.S. - Cinemark -- in play. That competition is what pushed TI into 4K. Luckily for DLP fans and manufacturers, Cinemark selected DLP for more than 3,000 screens.

Still lots more screens to convert to digital, but DLP is rather unlikely to continue its earlier market dominance.
post #7 of 31 Old 09-15-2009, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post

Sony has made a big deal about 4K resolution for some time now. The 3D accessory is quite new. Previously, a theater needed a pair of Sony units for 3D. DLP has done 3D with one projector all along. I think 4K is still Sony's key selling point.

TI had 85% or more of the market. But then AMC signed up for about 4,600 Sony 4K projectors in March. Then Regal with 6,700 screens signed up for Sony 4K projectors in May . That left the third big chain in the U.S. - Cinemark -- in play. That competition is what pushed TI into 4K. Luckily for DLP fans and manufacturers, Cinemark selected DLP for more than 3,000 screens.

Still lots more screens to convert to digital, but DLP is rather unlikely to continue its earlier market dominance.

This is what worries me.

David Budo
post #8 of 31 Old 09-15-2009, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:

Movies aren't going 4k. Pixar isn't going to start rendering their films at 4k. The costs would rise astronomically. CGI special effects for movies aren't going to be rendered at 4k because once again the costs would rise.

If your movie theater has a 4k projector, all that will happen for a 2d presentation is it'll take a source 2k movie and interpolate the resolution (upscale) it to 4k.

Feature film DI is going 4K. Has been for the past two years. The studio wants the highest quality digital negative on the shelf. Today that's 4K. Distribution OTOH is another matter. 2K will remain the SOTA there for years.

I also agree pure CGI will be rare at 4K for the next few years. But as storage comes down, that too will go 4K.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #9 of 31 Old 09-16-2009, 12:14 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

2K simply is not enough resolution for a theater display. Period. Unacceptable.
post #10 of 31 Old 09-16-2009, 12:58 PM

Most 35mm release prints that go out to movie theaters are low in quality. There was a study and the most lines of resolution that a 35mm print had was 875 lines. 2k theater exceeds this. 2k is actually increasing resolution compared to 35mm prints.

http://www.motionfx.gr/Files/35mm_re...on_english.pdf

I'd like to see Sony talk 4k at 48fps. Double the frame rate for improved motion resolution. Afterall movies are known as "motion" picutures.

Just watch a 720p @ 60fps sports broadcast of a NFL game, it looks really good for only being "720p". Frame rate flat out makes a huge impact on image quality.
post #11 of 31 Old 09-16-2009, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Most 35mm release prints that go out to movie theaters are low in quality. There was a study and the most lines of resolution that a 35mm print had was 875 lines. 2k theater exceeds this. 2k is actually increasing resolution compared to 35mm prints.

I'd like to see Sony talk 4k at 48fps. Double the frame rate for improved motion resolution. Afterall movies are known as "motion" picutures.

Just watch a 720p @ 60fps sports broadcast of a NFL game, it looks really good for only being "720p". Frame rate flat out makes a huge impact on image quality.

I can't view the PDF on my phone. How did they come to that number? Seems awfully low to me:S

David Budo
post #12 of 31 Old 09-16-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:

Most 35mm release prints that go out to movie theaters are low in quality. There was a study and the most lines of resolution that a 35mm print had was 875 lines.

Is that 875 lines per picture height? If so then it isn't as low as it seems compared to 2k or 1920x1080 (especially 2.40 material with black bars).

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #13 of 31 Old 09-16-2009, 07:58 PM

post #14 of 31 Old 09-18-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Don't confuse resolution of the content/capture with the resolution necessary for display. 2K can be plenty (and IMO is) of resolution to shoot a film. There are a lot of fantastic films shot at 2K (I just saw Public Enemies last night, that was 2K, Benjamin button, Miami Vice, Collateral, parts of The Hurt Locker etc etc etc). But displaying that on a fixed pixel display that is only 2K resolution is not the same thing at all, and is a serious downgrade from film, even 16mm film. The display structure is simply far too evident and introduces way too much noise to the image unless you are at a small viewing angle.

2K display is a serious downgrade from 35mm film in terms of display, and I would argue even from 16mm (just saw the Hurt Locker two days ago, much of that was shot in 16mm, though printed to 35mm).

People wrongly confuse the resolution of the medium/capture as the metric of comparison, when that's not at all the only relevant issue.
post #15 of 31 Old 09-19-2009, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

.... 2K display is a serious downgrade from 35mm film in terms of display, ...

That's not my experience with the commercial theaters around here.
post #16 of 31 Old 09-20-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post

That's not my experience with the commercial theaters around here.

Well, that's an entirely different can of worms...
post #17 of 31 Old 09-20-2009, 07:29 AM
IMMERSION GURU

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

Don't confuse resolution of the content/capture with the resolution necessary for display. 2K can be plenty (and IMO is) of resolution to shoot a film. There are a lot of fantastic films shot at 2K (I just saw Public Enemies last night, that was 2K, Benjamin button, Miami Vice, Collateral, parts of The Hurt Locker etc etc etc). But displaying that on a fixed pixel display that is only 2K resolution is not the same thing at all, and is a serious downgrade from film, even 16mm film. The display structure is simply far too evident and introduces way too much noise to the image unless you are at a small viewing angle.

2K display is a serious downgrade from 35mm film in terms of display, and I would argue even from 16mm (just saw the Hurt Locker two days ago, much of that was shot in 16mm, though printed to 35mm).

People wrongly confuse the resolution of the medium/capture as the metric of comparison, when that's not at all the only relevant issue.

I totally disagree the mtf is much higher on 2k.
post #18 of 31 Old 09-20-2009, 08:55 AM

darinp2: > Is that 875 lines per picture height?

Yep, and presumably they meant "line pairs" (a dark
line visible only because it has an adjacent light line),
or 1750 total lines high, which would be 2328x1750
on an academy frame, 2328x1258 on a masked 1.85:1
frame or 2328x1750 in anamorphic 2.39:1.

Except that you can't directly compare analog "lines"
and digital "pixels" resolutions due to sampling theory
and artifacts at degenerate and limiting cases.

Also, these test results were from "state of the art"
halls, and were the top result. Your average popcornplex
is apt to be lower, easily below DCI's 2K (2048x1080).
The problem isn't the theoretical resolution of
Kodak 5274 negative stock, but the generational losses
to print, film weave, registration jitter, projector vibration, etc.

All of which is moot. The exhibitors have decided that 2K
digital is "theatrical quality".

ChrisWiggles: > 2K simply is not enough resolution for
> a theater display. Period. Unacceptable.

Those who think so are, alas, not the target demographic
for contemporary theatrical exhibition. Theatres around
here seem content with 2K. If they spend any money on
upgrades, adding 3D capability is likely above 4K on the list.
________
DCI 2K (2048x1080) is only 5% greater res than
HDTV (1920x1080). If you care about presentation quality,
spend your theatre-going dollars on HT upgrades.
post #19 of 31 Old 09-20-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

I totally disagree the mtf is much higher on 2k.

Sit 1.0x screenwidths away and tell me with a straight face that 2K is acceptable. That's not even particularly close either. You can't tell me that because you know it's not sufficient. Or you're blind.

The MTF is not the only thing to consider. Film that rolls off the highest frequencies does so in a gaussian manner and isn't that noisy or objectionable. A 2k projector has way too much visible display structure and this noise is very objectionable to the viewer. The bad way around this is to blur the display which lowers the MTF. The proper way around it is to have a display with sufficient resolution for the viewing angles involved so that you aren't seeing the display structure, and that requires more than 2K.
post #20 of 31 Old 09-20-2009, 12:58 PM
IMMERSION GURU

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 161
post #21 of 31 Old 09-20-2009, 03:33 PM

2K is very good. But that does not make it an acceptable replacement for 35mm film. There are a lot of seats in the theater that are quite close. Depending, you also start to run into perf problems if it's a smaller screen, but 2K doesn't cut it if you're sitting in the front of a cinema. And it CERTAINLY can't touch 65mm or Imax.
post #22 of 31 Old 09-20-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:

2K is very good. But that does not make it an acceptable replacement for 35mm film. There are a lot of seats in the theater that are quite close. Depending, you also start to run into perf problems if it's a smaller screen, but 2K doesn't cut it if you're sitting in the front of a cinema. And it CERTAINLY can't touch 65mm or Imax.

1. They stopped shooting in 65mm over 20 years ago.

2. IMAX is a special venue format and is being slowing replaced/augmented with their Digital IMAX theaters () which are 2K PJ's and content structure.

3. Based on all the seats in a average DC theater - the higher % (approx 2/3's) will not see the image structure at 2K. Could be as high as 75%.
post #23 of 31 Old 09-21-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

IIRC, TDK's CGI was rendered in something like IMAX quality. But after the entire process it came down quite a lot.
post #24 of 31 Old 09-21-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

1. They stopped shooting in 65mm over 20 years ago.

2. IMAX is a special venue format and is being slowing replaced/augmented with their Digital IMAX theaters () which are 2K PJ's and content structure.

3. Based on all the seats in a average DC theater - the higher % (approx 2/3's) will not see the image structure at 2K. Could be as high as 75%.

1) So outdated technology can't be matched by what's offered as the "new-improved" initiative? Batman was shot in IMAX version 65mm...

2) An even greater insult to the movie-going public.

3) So? "This won't look as good, but just sit far away so it's TV-sized, and then it'll be okay..." That really justifies $15 ticket prices...
post #25 of 31 Old 09-21-2009, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The you can't sit close argument cuts both ways. Everytime I've been forced to watch a film presentation from the first few rows, the image looks like crap. Film or digital, it really makes no difference.

The real lesson? Arrive to the theater on time and get a good seat.
post #26 of 31 Old 09-21-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post

The you can't sit close argument cuts both ways. Everytime I've been forced to watch a film presentation from the first few rows, the image looks like crap. Film or digital, it really makes no difference.

The real lesson? Arrive to the theater on time and get a good seat.

We aren't talking about the first few rows but more like the front 1/3rd of the theater unless it is defocused.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #27 of 31 Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post

...The real lesson? Arrive to the theater on time and get a good seat.

Amen! Whatever your definition of "good seat" may be....
post #28 of 31 Old 09-21-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:

1) So outdated technology can't be matched by what's offered as the "new-improved" initiative? Batman was shot in IMAX version 65mm...

Only a limited number of scenes.

Quote:

2) An even greater insult to the movie-going public.

Nothing can be done because IMAX has determined that the cost of 15/70mm prints is so high, they can no longer make a profitable business from it. Just be lucky enough to have a real IMAX theater near you. AFAIK, they are no longer building any new real IMAX theaters.

Quote:

3) So? "This won't look as good, but just sit far away so it's TV-sized, and then it'll be okay..." That really justifies $15 ticket prices...

The public knows that if you don't get to the theater early - you will wind up with crap seats. No mystery here. Been that way forever.
post #29 of 31 Old 09-21-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Only a limited number of scenes.

Nothing can be done because IMAX has determined that the cost of 15/70mm prints is so high, they can no longer make a profitable business from it. Just be lucky enough to have a real IMAX theater near you. AFAIK, they are no longer building any new real IMAX theaters.

The public knows that if you don't get to the theater early - you will wind up with crap seats. No mystery here. Been that way forever.

It sounds like your argument is less about the actual quality, but more about logistics, economics, and "just learn to live with the compromise" attitude. I'm more optimistic than that. Even if it takes time I will push for 4K and beyond, because I want actual improvement, not just a cheaper alternative.

Just because mp3 delivery is easier and cheaper and NEW, doesn't mean I'm gonna settle for that over 44.1khz PCM on a CD.
post #30 of 31 Old 09-22-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:

It sounds like your argument is less about the actual quality, but more about logistics, economics, and "just learn to live with the compromise" attitude. I'm more optimistic than that. Even if it takes time I will push for 4K and beyond, because I want actual improvement, not just a cheaper alternative.

Just because mp3 delivery is easier and cheaper and NEW, doesn't mean I'm gonna settle for that over 44.1khz PCM on a CD.

DC will move to 4K in the near future. Sony is going to make sure of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page