AVS Forum banner

XD extreme digital

22K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  reanimator 
#1 ·
Saw part of Twilight in the new XD extreme digital theater in S.F The front seats were taken out and there were black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. A slight curve to the screen and not as big as imax, larger than any regular movie screen.

--The company’s new digital solution format theaters offer audiences an enhanced viewing experience via ceiling-to-floor and wall-to-wall screens, JBL sound systems with over 30 speakers--

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghflyer /forum/post/0

Interesting there really isn't much out there on the Internet for comparing screen sizes and best quality experience. Saw MI4 today and couldn't figure out the difference seeing Cinemark XD or Cinemark IMAX. Both charge about the same price (around $11 for matinee) and are new theathers......I feel like the IMAX screen (from previous visits) was bigger and given that some of MI4 was shot in IMAX wonder if the XD really takes full advantage.....ended up going XD which had very crisp visuals and great audio but they never even filled up the full XD screen fully.

Anyhow, I guess just venting that there isn't a way to know which theatre to choose.

They have an imax and an xd at yours? odd lol

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghflyer /forum/post/0

Sorry, no 2 different Cinemark theaters in my town....one with IMAX and one with XD.

Ahh ok my local amc has a etx and an imax lol

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mporlier /forum/post/20873350

Light engines without a 100% sealed engine will collect dust over time, all of them! An engine that is not sealed is not a defect, they were designed that way. Only Barco has completely sealed engines. This is why we do not need expensive filters. Dust can get in our units and it will never affect the image.

thats one major reason why i order the barco.

#31 ·
Digital/Fake Imax

#32 ·
Sorry to respond to such an old thread, but there isn't much out there on this subject and I have some recent news regarding XD cinema. At the Howard Hughes Cinemark in Los Angeles (formerly The Bridge and then The Rave), there used to be a "true" IMAX theater. While I loved that theater, it was starving for 70mm prints and was basically going unused for extended periods. The Cinemark group recently converted it to an XD Extreme theater and I went to check it out when it opened in early April of 2014. The good news is that they kept the "GIANT" size of screen they used for IMAX (different screen of course) and I was pretty impressed with the projection quality.

I'm going to be posting a review soon and it's generally positive. While the definition of the XD projection, IMO, doesn't quite stack up to TDK and TDKR IMAX projections (which I saw there and loved), it looked to be substantially better than the LIE MAX theater at the AMC in Century City (also digital projection). I can't say for sure because maybe Captain America: The Winter Soldier may have had better source material??? than some of the movies I saw at the AMC. I'm going to be meeting with one of their tech guys this week and he's going to fill me in on all the details of the sound, projector, screen, seating, etc. They are also going to let me to take pictures during my tour of the theater (which will hopefully include the projection booth).

I have a draft review already written and when I get all the details I want, I'll post it along with photos. In my review, I basically weigh accessibility to a truly "Big" screen for all those releases which don't have 70mm prints against the "True IMAX" quality of 70mm film.

More soon. Look for my post sometime next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.