Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 33 Old 12-19-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Digital/Fake Imax

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 04-28-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sorry to respond to such an old thread, but there isn't much out there on this subject and I have some recent news regarding XD cinema. At the Howard Hughes Cinemark in Los Angeles (formerly The Bridge and then The Rave), there used to be a "true" IMAX theater. While I loved that theater, it was starving for 70mm prints and was basically going unused for extended periods. The Cinemark group recently converted it to an XD Extreme theater and I went to check it out when it opened in early April of 2014. The good news is that they kept the "GIANT" size of screen they used for IMAX (different screen of course) and I was pretty impressed with the projection quality.

I'm going to be posting a review soon and it's generally positive. While the definition of the XD projection, IMO, doesn't quite stack up to TDK and TDKR IMAX projections (which I saw there and loved), it looked to be substantially better than the LIE MAX theater at the AMC in Century City (also digital projection). I can't say for sure because maybe Captain America: The Winter Soldier may have had better source material??? than some of the movies I saw at the AMC. I'm going to be meeting with one of their tech guys this week and he's going to fill me in on all the details of the sound, projector, screen, seating, etc. They are also going to let me to take pictures during my tour of the theater (which will hopefully include the projection booth).

I have a draft review already written and when I get all the details I want, I'll post it along with photos. In my review, I basically weigh accessibility to a truly "Big" screen for all those releases which don't have 70mm prints against the "True IMAX" quality of 70mm film.

More soon. Look for my post sometime next week.

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
post #33 of 33 Old 04-30-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looking forward to reading your review!
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page