XD extreme digital - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 11-24-2009, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saw part of Twilight in the new XD extreme digital theater in S.F The front seats were taken out and there were black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. A slight curve to the screen and not as big as imax, larger than any regular movie screen.

--The company’s new digital solution format theaters offer audiences an enhanced viewing experience via ceiling-to-floor and wall-to-wall screens, JBL sound systems with over 30 speakers--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-24-2009, 08:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 41
With Barco projectors it will highly likely be better than Imax with the Christies.
post #3 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

forgot to add xd ticket price for adults is 14
post #4 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 06:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

With Barco projectors it will highly likely be better than Imax with the Christies.

Why is that?
post #5 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Cinemark is a all Barco chain.

Speaking strictly gen 1 projectors, the Christies used by Imax project a very pasty looking image lacking depth. In that department the Barco's are way less pasty.

It is my theory however that one fix for pastiness is sufficient lamp. So in 2010 with series 2, the Christie with the 7.5kw lamp may be better. Quite frankly whatever IMAX has been using using does not cut it on the screen sizes they are installing.

Also if Cinemark uses the Barco Dolby 3-D system you will not need that ridiculous looking silver screen that IMAX needs to preserve polarization.
post #6 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 07:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

In all fairness both manufactures have some advantages over the other and both throw a great picture. Nether is perfect, what is
post #7 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah but screwing the Imax image so Royaly with the pastiness is unforgivable to both Canadian parties.

I am very sure with that new high power stretch unit shown at SHOWEAST they will be able to get some pop out of the IMAX now.

What I love about the Barco is that the image looks ho hum when stock and calibrated with the Tip7 to rec 709. It is totally unimpressive, and yet because of the GUI that controls everything Post Production relevant, you can load advanced dsp tables and do the mechanical mods and get a very convincing high contrast and indisputably totally 3-D looking image. It's quite magical. Works for me.

On series 1 Barco had the edge in dimensionality, what I saw with CHRISTIE series 2 was very impressive indeed. Still CHRISTIE and NEC are beginning to implement full post production level control of the image. Barco has it down pat. Also the modularity of the projectors is the way to go. Also Industry leading.
post #8 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yeah but screwing the Imax image so Royaly with the pastiness is unforgivable to both Canadian parties.

Has this been confirmed with a technical reason behind it? Is Imax aware of this?
post #9 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It is essentially a double stack. If I screw around with the lamp intensity on the SK dp1200 at minimum on a large screen zoom 16 wide, I begin to get the same effect (pastiness). I think it may be lamp power related, or that and a combination of slight defocusing to eliminate Screen Door Effect. A stack of defocused under-lamped projectors should create plenty of pastiness. That is what I think me and others are ssing at the digital Imax.
post #10 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

It is essentially a double stack.

Just want to make sure I understand. I know IMAX is double stack. Are you saying that XD extreme is also double stack?

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #11 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Could be double stacked DP-3000 but for 3-D only. For 2-D not double stack. Imax double stacked at all times.
post #12 of 33 Old 11-25-2009, 01:05 PM

Liked: 44
Here is a link with some technical info on Cinemark's XD Extreme Digital Theaters:

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...,1057153.shtml
post #13 of 33 Old 11-26-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Speaking strictly gen 1 projectors, the Christies used by Imax project a very pasty looking image lacking depth. In that department the Barco's are way less pasty.

Are you aware that DLP Cinema projectors have _exactly_ the same digital processing for movie content (as opposed to alternate content) regardless of manufacturer? How then do you explain this supposed pastiness from only one vendor's projectors?
post #14 of 33 Old 01-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

saw avatar on reald 3D XD. holy ****. completely blows Imax 3D away. i seriously want my money back. it was so crisp, so clean, zero ghosting, motion blur was minimal.
post #15 of 33 Old 01-02-2010, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI Joe Sixpack View Post

Are you aware that DLP Cinema projectors have _exactly_ the same digital processing for movie content (as opposed to alternate content) regardless of manufacturer? How then do you explain this supposed pastiness from only one vendor's projectors?

There is no doubt that Barco has a very good eye. While the engines' are identical, the end product from Barco is much more refined. This nuance in engineering projectors is what makes them tops in my book.

That being said pastiness is also a function of insufficient lamping on any platform.
post #16 of 33 Old 01-05-2010, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooms View Post

saw avatar on reald 3D XD. holy ****. completely blows Imax 3D away. i seriously want my money back. it was so crisp, so clean, zero ghosting, motion blur was minimal.

What and where is your nearest Imax theater?
post #17 of 33 Old 01-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

What and where is your nearest Imax theater?

Arizona mills 25 in Tempe...yes
post #18 of 33 Old 07-29-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
I'm going to see Cowboys and Angels at my local Cinemark XD theater tonight. Anyone here have any first hand experience in watching a movie at an XD cinema, and can give their thoughts on PQ and SQ?

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #19 of 33 Old 08-15-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
There is no doubt that Barco has a very good eye. While the engines' are identical, the end product from Barco is much more refined. This nuance in engineering projectors is what makes them tops in my book.

That being said pastiness is also a function of insufficient lamping on any platform.
All 3 manufacturers do not share the same light engine. We do meet the same specifications. The only common parts are the DLP/control board and the ICP board. If I can talk about "pastiness" of the image, this could be due to the lack of a 100% sealed optical engine. Dust will then collect over time on the DMDs and affect image quality. On 2 brand new units, you should not be able to tell the difference. After one year its a different story.

Marc Porlier

As of Jan 2012 I no longer work for Barco. So my comments do not represent the views of my former employer but only my own.

Sincerely
post #20 of 33 Old 08-15-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mporlier View Post
On 2 brand new units, you should not be able to tell the difference. After one year its a different story.
Good point.
post #21 of 33 Old 08-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

If I can talk about "pastiness" of the image, this could be due to the lack of a 100% sealed optical engine. Dust will then collect over time on the DMDs and affect image quality. On 2 brand new units, you should not be able to tell the difference. After one year its a different story.

And cleaning this is easy...?
post #22 of 33 Old 08-26-2011, 11:57 AM

It can only be done at the factory. The complete light engine must be sent and cleaned un a 100% dust free room.

Marc Porlier

As of Jan 2012 I no longer work for Barco. So my comments do not represent the views of my former employer but only my own.

Sincerely
post #23 of 33 Old 08-27-2011, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
is this inherent to design of all products or something that happens if there is a problem with the lack of seal?
post #24 of 33 Old 08-27-2011, 05:44 AM

Light engines without a 100% sealed engine will collect dust over time, all of them! An engine that is not sealed is not a defect, they were designed that way. Only Barco has completely sealed engines. This is why we do not need expensive filters. Dust can get in our units and it will never affect the image.

Marc Porlier

Sincerely
post #25 of 33 Old 12-18-2011, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I saw the immortals on XD and enjoyed it. Film was decent. I do like the fancy door they have for the XD auditoriums lol. I wonder how this stacks up to Regal's PX and AMC's ETX. I saw Battle LA in ETX at the westwood theater in socal and good lord was that loud lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #26 of 33 Old 12-18-2011, 01:54 PM

Interesting there really isn't much out there on the Internet for comparing screen sizes and best quality experience. Saw MI4 today and couldn't figure out the difference seeing Cinemark XD or Cinemark IMAX. Both charge about the same price (around $11 for matinee) and are new theathers......I feel like the IMAX screen (from previous visits) was bigger and given that some of MI4 was shot in IMAX wonder if the XD really takes full advantage.....ended up going XD which had very crisp visuals and great audio but they never even filled up the full XD screen fully.

Anyhow, I guess just venting that there isn't a way to know which theatre to choose.
post #27 of 33 Old 12-18-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghflyer View Post

Interesting there really isn't much out there on the Internet for comparing screen sizes and best quality experience. Saw MI4 today and couldn't figure out the difference seeing Cinemark XD or Cinemark IMAX. Both charge about the same price (around $11 for matinee) and are new theathers......I feel like the IMAX screen (from previous visits) was bigger and given that some of MI4 was shot in IMAX wonder if the XD really takes full advantage.....ended up going XD which had very crisp visuals and great audio but they never even filled up the full XD screen fully.

Anyhow, I guess just venting that there isn't a way to know which theatre to choose.

They have an imax and an xd at yours? odd lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #28 of 33 Old 12-18-2011, 05:44 PM

Sorry, no 2 different Cinemark theaters in my town....one with IMAX and one with XD.
post #29 of 33 Old 12-18-2011, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghflyer View Post

Sorry, no 2 different Cinemark theaters in my town....one with IMAX and one with XD.

Ahh ok my local amc has a etx and an imax lol

post #30 of 33 Old 12-19-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Light engines without a 100% sealed engine will collect dust over time, all of them! An engine that is not sealed is not a defect, they were designed that way. Only Barco has completely sealed engines. This is why we do not need expensive filters. Dust can get in our units and it will never affect the image.

thats one major reason why i order the barco.
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page