Sköll-Prototype 3-D/4K Screening Room of the second decade of the 21st century .... - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 429 Old 11-24-2011, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_R_K View Post

Hi Peter ,
Would you be able to do me (us) a favour and , using the above Pic of the Equipment Rack , identify the items for us ? Maybe Left , top to bottom and then Right , top to bottom ? I'd really like to put a name to all your high end gear .
Thanks,
Scott..................

Sure thing

Left

Doremi show vault, this is the storage for the digital cinema movies 5 x 2 terabyte drives, it is also the controller for an input card inside the projector called the Integrated Media Board, it has 3 inputs dual hdsdi connected to the Teranex vc 100 2d-3d converter, hdmi connected to the oppo blu-ray 3d. and a pcie express 22 footer cable for internal decryption of cinema content.

Under neath it are 5 modular disc vaults from Kaleidescape KV-10 (with 100 BD disc) capacity connected via usb to the players on the right.

Right
A CINERAMAX 12" touchscreen custom remote pc, with enhanced 3d gaming capabilities. We use this primarily to run our crestron x panel, or barco control software, our kaleidescape library management, kaleidescape transport control of each player, 2d to 3d converter setup and control, and remote log in, a kvm switches to the main DOREMI SHOWVAULT vga display,

Below the htpc is the datasat ap-20 surround processor where a region a and region b kaleidescape are selected for display in 2d as well as directv, and audio from the region a kaleidescape used for 2d to 3d conversion, you can also select 16 channel uncompressed audio for DCI content.

Below that is the doremi ghx-10 is a video format converter .

the the mighty teranex vc 100 converter, One's mileage will vary with this device in terms of how conving the 3d is, passive lg tv's and reald cinema kits get the best 3d, followed by active dci projectors, and in this case, because the single projector barco dolby 3d system cannot currently color correct the left eye and right eye separate and because the dolby wheel system has a little bit of a side effect tot it- because of this I would not watch the 500 blu-ray discs in 2d to 3d mode, just about 1/3. With other systems like the 4k barco with the reald the conversion ios so good that I pulled the wire out on 2d, seriously.

there is an oppo bdp-93,

a dbox controller with bd disc code retrieval

a crestron digimedia 8 x8 currently off line pending additional sources.

there are now 2 kaleidescape bd players m-500 (one shown but another one added)

4 kaleidescape m-300, one vault was added last night for 600 blu-rays cap.

a couple of directv's and at the bottom of both racks 2 30 amp apc ups....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 429 Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Lookin great Peter!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #363 of 429 Old 11-25-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Peter . Wow ! It feels like I've just landed on another Planet where Home Theatre has a completely different meaning Thanks for keeping all of us in your World .
Scott.....................

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #364 of 429 Old 11-26-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_R_K View Post

Thanks Peter . Wow ! It feels like I've just landed on another Planet where Home Theatre has a completely different meaning Thanks for keeping all of us in your World .
Scott.....................

Tell me about it...I always drool at the photos posted here lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #365 of 429 Old 12-02-2011, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Was called on short notice to operate theater during house warming-art basel party, talk about the creme de la creme; there were more film stars than on a red carpet (well maybe not but 7 went by SKOLL- 2 sat in it) one of them sat in the front for the d-box roller coaster ride in despicable me 3-D, rappers, baseball players, top models.

Initially no one was coming into the cinema, until I had a very colorful bohemian character wearing a haute couture wolf skin jacket with shoulder marks made out of colored feathers said : "4D? This... I have got to see". After raising his hands like in a real coaster rides and saying weeeeee, he left in wonderment and said "I have got to send some people over".

We keep the theater door shut so I hear this banging. All of a sudden eight incredible looking (google the top 10 models of the world, and there were 8 of them). When I opened I hear in unison " we want to see the 4-D". This was the most surreal experience of my career watching these chicks cladding dolby glasses going on the wild roller coaster ride with arms raised and all having a blast with their crystal rose glasses in hand.

I had gone into the kitchen for 2 minutes when the lady of the house came looking for me "Peter , everyone is asking to see the 4-D". I'll oblige them in a sec...

The celebrities kept coming into the theater in droves to the point the sofas (which are only capable of 450 pounds 210 kilos loads to work because Cineak made the seats WAY TOO HEAVY)- the state of the third party d-box chair manufacturing is in absolute shambles,I blame every manufacturer specially the 2 European top. I am putting this industry (crucial to the further development of 4-D at home) on notice- this crap is going to stop- watch what happens in "Bergelemir" and "Europa" -i'll show these c__qscQrs how to build a the ultimate three seat sofa that holds three cineramaxes (270 pounds times three) - this is fvckng discrimination to the average pudgy american, you cheap bastards! There; I vented, what happened later is that the sofas were crowded with 5 6 people (like the emergency staircase collapse at the end of It's a mad, mad, mad world). there were so many billionaires ( you could tell by the size of them diamonds) jammed packed in the sofas that both d-boxes busted their fuse. Oh well If you are going to break the gear, might as well do it in style.

The owner of the house developer of the tallest buildings in Europe, studies the art of Qching or something like that, where you focus energy points in the weakest parts of your body to withstand incredible trauma. Earlier in the day he had broken twin 1" slabs of marble with the top-front of his head and asked me to film him, then he choose the weakest spot in the body the cavity of the throat and leaned on a pointy 7 foot spear and broke it into three pieces. So he kept bringing in some of the most important figures of our time for me to show first his Ringling brothers level achievement, and then to have fun with the cartoon roller coaster ride loop in 4-D.

In one occasion at the point he broke the lance one very well known African american voice emphatically exclaims loudly: "That is what happens to you when you have way too much money in your hands" [referring to the breaking of lances with your throat]. I knew this voice - we all now the voice-it is ingrained in our collective consciousness. I was left wondering where i had heard that voice. Then we play the roller-coaster and my client hugs this guy and tells him "wait until you see this-Peter the fun clip". They ride it , then the same mysterious guest with the totally iconic voice hollers:"play it again" and everyone broke a laugh, and we went again. At the end the guests were asking "what kind of system is this? and my client pointed to me in the back "this is the system created by this genius Peter back here " everyone exclaimed thank you , well done, and then as they are leaving, i see the serious co-lead character of a giant ape movie [what a nice guy - when I bumped into him again at the kitchen he broke a big smile -A nod to our common passion for film? I think so despite me coming from the complete opposite end of the chain, albeit-not-one-deserving-of-lesser-care-and-craft] , and right behind him is our mysterious character, the most iconic action hero of the last two decades is looking at me, and all I could SAY(out loud): Holly ****! As I shook his hand. All your films play in this system (meaning i use clips from 4 of his films in a 4-D demo Kaleidescape script). I do not want names guessed on the thread or I will delete, but you would have to be a proud american to understand what the most important day of the year is, to guess who this actor's first big action flick was. , "I am going to ask {the lady of the house} for your card", and exited Skoll to my left.
post #366 of 429 Old 12-02-2011, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Brilliant work Peter, Skoll looks amazing!

Well it seems that you have got a meal ticket for life out of that house party, wow. We normally do a similar thing, get the must gorgeous boat we can find and put on a massive party at Monaco during the F1. The amount of buyers we get within the next week is amazing "Can you have our boat ready for next years Monaco"

I had an email from TK a few weeks ago reminding us to remind clients that his first 10 TK Home Imaxs are going in over the next 18months and , starting in @April Next year. I bet some of that crowd were in Skoll at the Diner party thinking "god what have I done"
post #367 of 429 Old 12-03-2011, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

more juicy details added above.
post #368 of 429 Old 12-03-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ah so not 'THIS is CNN', lol. No not guessing Peter, I don't know of these action hero's, anyway, so not even gonna try, lol. Good to read that your work is paying off.
post #369 of 429 Old 12-12-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #370 of 429 Old 12-12-2011, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #371 of 429 Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #372 of 429 Old 12-12-2011, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #373 of 429 Old 12-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So, how are you going to top yourself on the next project ?
post #374 of 429 Old 12-16-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Incredible! That is one interesting story Peter! You are really living the life.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #375 of 429 Old 12-16-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Trapezoid?

This room doesn't show all of the hard work that went into it, very clean looking.

No control over the demo screen tilt in the apartment to compensate for varying projector placement?
post #376 of 429 Old 12-16-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

So, how are you going to top yourself on the next project ?

I will be pulling the plug on 2d. For that I will need a RealD stewart torus screen ray traced by Don Stewart himself, also although I am very happy with the phc amps and subs which i will use again, I am going to try ME GETHAIN speakers, a combination of self powered and passive (all with cardiod bass response) and using their triple or 6 tweeter coaxial drivers to eliminate the horniness.

We will do 4K upscaling too. Auro 3D or Harman 16 channel. Will be a difficult acoustical design with the oversized Torus. One cinema gets dual rotary subs.

Two of my best sounding rooms are Torus so I am not worried at all about acoustical anomalies.
post #377 of 429 Old 12-16-2011, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Incredible! That is one interesting story Peter! You are really living the life.

That night I was...hehe.
post #378 of 429 Old 12-16-2011, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

Trapezoid?

This room doesn't show all of the hard work that went into it, very clean looking.

No control over the demo screen tilt in the apartment to compensate for varying projector placement?

Different reasons for trapezoidal image.

There is a little trapezoid distortion in this room that depending on the intake frequency gets a sliver of a triangle sliced. It is hard to mask the directv which is not a pure 1080i signal but an truncated one ie 1492 x 1080 or something like that. The Barco don't like that frequency very much so to get that centered image was a drag. Easier to use a good scaler like the HQV ones, but 1080i on directv is 400% less pasty than 720p so it stays like that and let the screen mask it. We are currently converting an existing AMX program to control the 4 way masking screen for the 1920 by 818 and 2048 by 848? Cinemascopes hdtv and dci variant.

At the lab the reason for the trapezoid is because I am trying to bounce back to the viewing chairs the light and that requires a steep angle, with the pj floor mounted and all. I can slice out the triangle with electronic masking but I prefer not to lose any image, with the glasses on it is awesome looking so I leave it. but one could definitely fill and mask the entire screen.

Need a Torus to keep pushing the envelope...
post #379 of 429 Old 12-16-2011, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Well if you tip the screen back, you should equal out the lightpath, and get a straight(er) image, but I see the issue of the seating position. So how about getting your large gang of projector schleppers out and dragging it upstairs, with an angular screen bounding it downstairs. Nah, it is a lab afterall;-). And last time you needed to haul an smaller Barco around some corners, you had to call Barco to get it fixed:-(.

Why not just lower the screen?

Or scoure ebay/craigslist for a banged up old Vutec (you don't want the gain 13 aluminiumlayer anyway), and glue on some regular white screen material.
post #380 of 429 Old 12-16-2011, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Lowering the screen would affect the integrity of the metal stud support wall, cheap american construction method. Waiting for Larger ME Gethain Speakers.

post #381 of 429 Old 12-24-2011, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #382 of 429 Old 12-24-2011, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #383 of 429 Old 12-24-2011, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My on and off girlfriend/fiance passed suddenly from a seizure a week ago. Her voice pitch was Marilyn, her accent Fannie Mae, her innotation Jodie Foster. There has never been someone more special and loving walk this earth.

She was my true inspiration for the Helene , Prometheus, Skoll systems, and the driving force for the 2D conversions, 4d and crazy video ideas.These were means for a better future with her. I am remorseful that I spent so much of my time at the lab catering to shallow Patron's whims instead of spending it with her, more specifically in her last moment which was completely preventable. Caveat emptor life is short never let your passion for home theater get paid with the loss of your loved one; my universe has lost it's cog. 3D Haters, go can go dance around your fire now, you have reason to celebrate. Mission accomplished.

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #384 of 429 Old 12-24-2011, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Deepest Condolences, Peter.

very sorry for your loss.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #385 of 429 Old 12-24-2011, 07:07 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Peter:

So Sorry for your loss of loved one

Lon
post #386 of 429 Old 12-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sorry for your loss
post #387 of 429 Old 12-24-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm so sorry for your loss Peter.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #388 of 429 Old 12-24-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thank you so much guys, really. Don't worry about his old dog, I'll be fine.
post #389 of 429 Old 12-24-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Take care Peter.
post #390 of 429 Old 12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I am very sorry for your loss Peter. Wish you the best.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page