AVS Forum banner

Sköll-Prototype 3-D/4K Screening Room of the second decade of the 21st century ....

109K views 432 replies 40 participants last post by  CINERAMAX 
#1 ·

In Norse mythology, Sköll (Old Norse "Treachery") is a wolf that chases the horses

See less See more
#28 ·
As you can see going wall to wall floor to ceiling Screen Option is going to be a PITA too.

I have to figure a way of presenting this.

The side coves are integrated air conditioning, cove lighting, art lighting, and air return.

Today we saw some mockups for these.

#29 ·
Since the client who co produces films had a relationship with one of Sony Pictures major producers in my mind I was already enjoying 4k.

Well. The room behind the projector has been converted into a freezer.

That and a conversion from 2k to 4k of the series 2-B projector will result in an image 15 % smaller (unacceptable).

We had a complete 4k upgrade package presentation, which would use ISCO IMAX lenses to project a wall to wall floor to ceiling image. Because of the freezer and the 200k+ change order with the big TERANEX, BORDER-LESS custom 4 way masking system (really screen manufacturers are nuts about big fat 14" 4 way masking borders, I think it is Freaking stupid if you ask me, there is NO REASON why a screen border should be bigger than 2.5 inches, NONE!!!!, an increased speaker array, well none of it got approved the system will stay 2k, and I am going to shift it to the .98 C series so that 4K Can be revisited in 3 years.

The moving of the beam up is being calculated structurally, we will try repositioning the smaller form factor projector upside down on the lift.

Proposed 4k upgrade not approved due to budget and freezer room. Monster half meter Isco lens will not be used.

#31 ·
That sucks. I'm sure you'll still do a kick butt cinemascope theater and although it will still be high-end by most standards, I was really looking forward to seeing how you were going to push the envelope in 3D with 4K. I'm hoping someone else (with far richer pockets than me
) signs up for one of these.

#32 ·
I already have the moon name picked: ALBIORIX with the ethimology ALBIO (World) and Rix (King) "The King Of Th world" a celtic equivalent of Mars the God of War, human sacrifices were made to appease it and it is the protector God of what is now the modern French Riviera. Seems he did a very good job nurturing the "Cote D'Azur" over the centuries....

#33 ·
Extremely pleased with the Calibre Cinema 2k scaler with detail and unsharp mask, also deinterlacing DirecTV is quite excellent.

Only problem would be for DirecTV 3d (which is 720p side by side) , you would need dual scalers.

The server case for the nerve center running the Barco communicator software via Touch Screen is wonderful to use.

Shown Underneath the what will be a 2 Terabyte DirecTV Hr-24.

#34 ·
Congrats on the Calibre. An excellent VP that goes over looked by consumers. Because its target is the commercial market the average J6P may miss some features but the overall picture quality ( and thats what counts here ) produced by this VP is first class. It also spits out 10bit.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger /forum/post/18701750

Congrats on the Calibre. An excellent VP that goes over looked by consumers. Because its target is the commercial market the average J6P may miss some features but the overall picture quality ( and thats what counts here ) produced by this VP is first class. It also spits out 10bit.

Yes Alan the image quality improvements over the excellent ti internal scaler are quite easy to see, from removing the softness of avatar to an amazing very enjoyable improvement on direcTV.

There are some minor issues, like when navigating through the menus of the dune every once in a blue moon where the image all of a sudden become like a 30 year old 8 bit video game with Pong like resolution graphics. I will need to reboot this with the crestron and do not know if after a hard reboot with ac power, if i can even restart the unit, or if it happens automatically. They may have to upgrade their Ip control for this, otherwise I am extremely pleased.

The scaler is amazing Like I have said before contrary to popular lore, pixel by pixel mapping DOES NOT LOOK BEST with the Barco, the full 2048 wide rescaling looks more authentic.

#42 ·
Skoll is a retro job. The builder Coastal Construction build most of the celebrity and high profile homes in South Florida. I worked with them back in 1996 on the D. Marino rear-pro cinema (TELESTO: the anecdotally accurate 13th Moon Of Saturn source from where the concept of large rear projection became the model for the stage redesign of the Oprah Show in 1997 with the big reaprojection smack in the middle of the set- later rearpro migrated form day talk show to late night talk shows from Leno it became staple in every late night television shows). Your'e very welcome American Television Networks.

Front wall

This I beam was a big contention point impeding the optimum placement of the projector, the builder just cut the cement beam above and pushed it up as far as the structural engineers would permit.

Now the dp2k-30c-SK will be installed upside down ported out the back.

Back door

And there is Mike Chafee the number one genelec rep in the world and acoustician and expert room tuner. Everyone in Florida uses mike to tune their systems , regardless of systems.[Discussing projectyor noise and projector panel access sound insulation to floor above)

Also Carlos Puello the expert electromechanical cad renderer guy that is doing such a sterling job here, the SoHo House reaprojection 3-D models and soon hopefully the Albiorix project which is inside the most spectacular house of the future designed by the first woman super-architect (one of the top 2 women architects in the world).

Back wall

#44 ·
Well maybe in Albiorix we can, because the lenses from ISCO (i mean the non anamorphic) are a sight to behold. They will only work with the 1.2-1.3754k platform. I had to have the man take it out of the case.

This thing weighed like 30-40 pounds; the heaviest lens ever.

Over at 3-D alley the nec projector was the best in show with a very compact reald z-screen attachment certainly something to consider if I can get around the perforated silver screen problem.

This image is completely unrelated and off topic.

Those little buggers hanging above the booth are a combination of powered speakers and microphones, using some serious dsp the system adjusted the acoustical properties from dry and intimate to larger more reverberant and several other highly complex and very lifelike algorithms. When these guys enter the home cinema arena everybody else better watch out.

I enjoyed this demo the most even though I was in excruciating pain and had a nurse on my way from falling at the Barco booth.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/18771915

if I can get around the perforated silver screen problem.

Peter Im running a 10 foot Severtson Silver screen ( real-D certified ) in a small screening room and they are about to release their micro perf which I am considering.

What is it you did not like and were the perfs the standard .04 cinema perfs? You need to be at least 40 feet away before they start to disappear. Any closer and that would be visually annoying.

Thanks Peter.

#47 ·
Hi Alan, The ones I have seen are the cinema made by harkness and MPI? .

The Percival zone of comfort is the stereoscopic real estate between you nose and the very back of the parallax perspective all the way 20 feet behind the screen. Within that zone is that all the 3-D action occurs. I like to see nothing blocking the action, with these silver screens there is mottling (a word you taught me) and there is a cheese grater effect, like where the perforations are punched they stick out a bit giving it a half hazard consistency, that pretty much gives the effect of installing a Badminton net in the middle of a space, you can see who is in the other side, but the zone is split by this net. I say the perforations on silver screens coupled with the mottling totally break up the Percival zone of comfort illusion.

A woven white screen would not cause this, but it will not work with RealD so I am very interested to see what you find out.

Cheers,

#48 ·
Mottling over spray can be a problem and varies with each manufactures. Compounded with perf texture I can see why you were distracted. The Severtson I have and a Hurley I recently installed did not exhibit the Mottling. Strange in that you will only see this with fixed pixel displays. Projecting film on that same screen and mottling is not an issue.

#50 ·
Cineramax: Regarding the volume control -- it was yanked from the TacT Milennium, not from the TCS. The Milennium is the original concept by Peter Lyngdorf and this is where the massive volume control knob first was implemented some 10+ years ago (1998 I think).

I think Steinberg places the volume control in the dead center of the amp -- this is where it is on the Milennium too.

#51 ·
Hello,

This theater design is truly extraordinary. I would have loved to have seen the full 4K projector with UK designed pro speakers, bur I know that working with Peter Lyngdorf the sound in this theater is going to be astonishing. I have had the good fortune to spend some time in Peter's company a few years ago and he is a real gentleman to deal with, but has a staggeringly sharp mind and he was discussing concepts with me about where he would like to take surround sound processors and room correction which were years ahead of what the silicon and R&D funding would allow him to do.

The whole project looks like it will be stunning when it is finished, but one design decision has intrigued me. You mentioned in a previous post you were building a HTPC using 8 X 1 TB SSD's. Why did you choose to go with the 8 TB SSD storage system instead of using a remotely located NAS? A remote NAS could easily give you more than 20TB of RAID protected storage for less than you're looking at for the SSD's alone, it would still be more than fast enough to stream the movie over 1 Gb/s network cabling, and would give you the security of redundancy, not to mention lower cost expansion.

Thanks and best wishes,

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.