Sköll-Prototype 3-D/4K Screening Room of the second decade of the 21st century .... - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 429 Old 01-18-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 42
http://www.datasatdigital.com/suppor...ducts/181-ap20

it's down there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 429 Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

it's down there...

Thanks ...
post #153 of 429 Old 01-19-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

it's down there...

Hi Peter! Are you using the "Dirac" feature on this unit? Is it an automated room correction system? Thanks
post #154 of 429 Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hi Dallas, yes I had selected this piece for it's hdmi in and digital aes out, not so much for the dirac, then when i walked around CES the dirac technology blew me away, there is a very lively thread on it over yonder.

I have it here for development but use it at the moment in stereo with two dynaudios and 7.1 with the Smyth surround processor, I had not a chance to listen full range 5.1 to it until the show, it is a studio quality piece and the autoeq appears to be at the top of the heap. The sound is big and clean (it has DTS written all over it).
post #155 of 429 Old 01-19-2011, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Again the reason these images look so bad in 2-D is because they look so good in 3-D.

It's like : "Billionaires of the World: SELL YOUR 767's and BUY THIS!"good.

I predict 2d to 3d conversions are going to explode the anime market growth, 3-D delivers in the best surrealistic and impressionistic aspects of anime, providing an otherwordly experience.It doesn't hurt to have the japanese track in the background to make it more alien for us in the states.

Here is a Kaleidoscope like : ALTOVISION VIRTUAL DRUG. Well, in 3-D is more like virtual overdose. Fantastic 4 channel soundtrack with real instruments.

Jason and the Argonauts:

The claymation , matte and live action elements somehow are all pulled together very nicely, all in all an 8 out of 10 in the PERCIVAL ZONE OF COMFORT SCALE. Front to back human movement flows naturally - totally killing the crap method Warner used in Clash and Sony used in Piranha for dimensionalization. These studios need a TERANEX BADLY, someone needs to clean house in this field in Hollywood, what I am seeing here is far superior, and with the exception of a more exxagerated setting for Anime, it is a set it and forget it operation.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #156 of 429 Old 01-19-2011, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Taras Bulba, what a great ending I remember as a kid, where it rains horses.

Here cavalries from four field quadrants gallop to the center of the field.

Here the polish cavalry and tartars fight their way to a gorge.It's a matte painting like Peter Ellenshaw used to do, but the 3-d topography is uncannily natural and pleasant, there is nothing out of place in the composition.
topographically speaking.

Although the BlueRay from Australia is a bit dated the 3-D effect was pristine.

then It rains horses...

LL
LL
LL
post #157 of 429 Old 01-19-2011, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I never saw a live concert of Airto Moreira -the World's greatest percussionist from Brazil.

3-D infuses humanity into otherwise ho hum visual renderings, now you are really there, you can see through the tambourine and the delicate layers of the jungle born percussion paraphernalia.

By contrast the 300 anniversary of the st Petersburg concert hall really takes you there like in no other possible way [except to schlep there].

The majesty of the large hall, the geometrically unperturbed architectural lines of the space (no rounded corners or bent lines like Samsung conversion, evry single human being in the audience is depicted, we are talking a couple of thousand people are shown EXACTLY were they are supposed to be (I don't mean the seating chart) but 3D space.

The Chandeliers, THE F\\_CK1NG are perfectly floating in their correct PARALLAX spot.

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #158 of 429 Old 01-19-2011, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I can't tell manga from mangola but this anime sure looks incredible dimensionalised.

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #159 of 429 Old 01-19-2011, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Air cav!!!

Now that's the proper way to see that scene. That wave looked real, you either surf or...

Basically we again have shown that we have thrown everything we can to the dual realta conversion machine and it has exceeded expectations at least 98% of the time, maybe more with better viewing equipment, the P series superkontrast.

Now those smart alecs out there that think that you can copy what I am doing and recretae at home possible for thousands less, IT HAPPENS all the time, don't come crying to me later saying your voices are out of synch with 3d, YOU NEED THE CORRECT equipment, fortunately the best surround processor in the world IS SUITABLY equipped.

LL
LL
LL
LL
post #160 of 429 Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Just unbelievable!

AMAZING.. dont know what else to say! I am blown away again
post #161 of 429 Old 01-20-2011, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Chris I am dying to see this projected 16' wide 18 ft lamberts with the CE4.
post #162 of 429 Old 01-21-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

will be inaccessible under the armrest, I am making sure that all the crucial buttons are somehow accessible in the final Strato control armrest configuration.

LL
post #163 of 429 Old 01-22-2011, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

They claim they can create adjustable contrast ratios on these glasses...

Sort of remote controlled glasses. That would be a nice little project for crestron integration, "increase contrast ratio"

These are alternatives to the RealD CE4 and Xpand Digital Cinema.
LL
post #164 of 429 Old 01-22-2011, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I will post pictures next week of the room within a room construction.

Here is the detail of the wave hangers prepared By Marc Cote of SH acoustics, it is a low profile alternative to hanging ceilings and soffits, the different ratings highlight the soffits additional weight.

post #165 of 429 Old 01-22-2011, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The owners rep asked me to put a Marketing summary for a person that was touring the house.

There are some inaccuracies as to what makes a 9.4 channel system I know..I know... blah blah blah.

Sorry!

The Skoll 4-D Cinema is a prototype system for the second decade of the 21st century.

It’s digital cinema production reference projector reproduces the most photorealistic images possible in 3-D and 4k. All blu-ray movies (400 expandable in a year to 1,400) are loaded on highly ergonomic Kaleidescape Movie server systems. These players both for European and American Blu-rays are outfitted so as to convert all of the content to 3-D and on most blockbuster movies the players have been outfitted with an interface for the action of the movie to be imbued through pistons into the dual recliner mechanism custom cinema leather chairs.These cinema chairs when inactive look like sofas but have erecting backs and retractable feet support during showtime.
So in a scene when two cars are chasing each other around the streets of San Francisco as the vehicles zig zag down Lombard Street, the entire chair ensemble robustly recreates the action in unison; when the cars go airborne so appear to do the chairs. For the faint of heart viewer individual control of the motion and their seats’ vibration are available on each armrest.

The recently declassified technology used to create the 3d out of the 2d movies was developed by Lockheed Martin in the Reagan years as part of the Space Intelligence Gathering Program, it is estimated that it cost the us government upwards of 20 billion to develop. What we did not know is that it worked real-time in 3-D!

This technology is beginning to be compared to what the studios are currently doing to convert 2-D to 3-D , a much more labor intensive frame by frame process and quite frankly the way it is done here appears more natural to the eye, particularly in the absence of unnatural double-bulging artifacts behind shoulders and on profiles . Although SKOLL is the only home cinema in the world with this feature, 85% of the World’s home cinemas by 2016 will follow suit.

The sound system uses the surround processor with the highest possible acoustical resolution that completely outclassed every other surround processor in the Consumer Electronics show of 2011.

The loudspeakers are integrated in a 9.4 surround channel configuration with some speakers using QUAD amplification for a total system power capable of reproducing dynamics of up to 135 decibels without distortion or ear fatigue.

While the system plays very loud, the room has been treated and designed in a room within a room type construction to keep the outside noise outside and the inside soundtrack inside.

This system is part of an exclusive limited series of private screening rooms named after moons of Saturn by famed system designer and blogger CINERAMAX.
post #166 of 429 Old 01-22-2011, 06:56 PM

Peter, well done
post #167 of 429 Old 01-22-2011, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Greg, 3 incognito VIP's showed up for the house tour they were impressed by the size of the screen and the 130 decibel figure.
post #168 of 429 Old 01-22-2011, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

A simplified explanation omitting certain proprietary edid interfaces:
The the Kaleidescape feeds hdmi 1.3 1080p 23.98 into the surround DATASAT AP-20 processor where 7.1 is extracted lpcm then the HDMI output goes to DOREMI ghx-10 which converts hdmi to single hdsdi 1080p 23.98, that feeds the teranex which then creates both channels, the dual 1080p 23.98 hdsdi outputs separate left right eye signals then get fed into the Doremi Dimension 3-D via dual hdsdi which in turn 3d format converts to Frame Packed Blu-ray format, that is what is fed to the Samsung (which appears to be a 1080p 24 set and not a true 23.98 set, this is causing a shutter delay every 12 seconds on one eye or the other. In additon due to the slowness of the LED extinsion and the polarizing filtering of the samsung there is some ghosting, this never happens on the SUPERKONTRAST becuase both signals are never on at the same time like this.

That's quite a process! I apologize if I've overlooked how this would work, but for the ultimate 3D experience, how would this system handle a film such as Avatar? Can you get the 3D version of the Blu-Ray disc to play through the Kaleidescape system? If so, does it bypass the Teranex magic? Or is Teranex so good that you just put the 2D version of Avatar in Kaleidescape and then let the Teranex do it's thing?

In any case, this is a fantastic undertaking, you are many years ahead of your time, great work!
post #169 of 429 Old 01-22-2011, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks sipester, comments like these keep me getting out of bed.

There is an Oppo bdp-93/95 to play single blu-ray 3-D's, these would follow a different route into the projector through the hdmi 1.4 connection of a server board that is added to the projector.

The kaleidescape follows another route entirely. It's safe to say that we penetrate that projector through every possible means with video signals.

HDMI 1.4 for native 3-D from Blu-ray and DirecTV, HD-SDI for upconverted 3-D from Kaleidescape and DirectV 2-D, as well as encrypted PCIE from the digital cinema server in either 4k, 2k 2d or 2k 3-d. Last but no least there is 2-D blu-ray and DirecTV via dvi in and 2-D pc gaming via dvi input b.
post #170 of 429 Old 01-22-2011, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I am happy to report that there is no longer and stuttering or shuttering, I accidentallly hit demo mode and what I was seeing was Teranex's Way of Watermarking their demo process.

3-D from the Terry is as clear as a fiddle.
post #171 of 429 Old 01-22-2011, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipester View Post

Or is Teranex so good that you just put the 2D version of Avatar in Kaleidescape and then let the Teranex do it's thing?

Even though in my head I can cross compare between what I see on the samsung and the Barco, like not getting any ghosting on the later for example,
I really can't comment on your suggestion until I actually do the comparison on the BARCO, the fact that I would have to actually do a comparison to tell the differences is what is amazing.

I was comparing Pearl Harbor and Tora Tora Tora earlier, both were showing excellent aerial live shots, the scaled models were the weak part in Tora Tora Tora, some of the cgi planes flying low to the ground seen from a high POV were joining their shadows's parallax position on Pearl Harbor, this is the first anomaly of this kind noted, both however were alot of fun to watch in 3-D, the aerial mayhem looks incredible on both.

Then I saw the thin RED LINE, I can now see the allure for Cameron to dimensionalise Titanic, the scene where the big ships
s v hull is cutting through the waves is unreal, this was a perfect movie to convert to 3-D - another "oooh-aaah" fest.
post #172 of 429 Old 01-22-2011, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

PREVIUOSLY
The the Kaleidescape feeds hdmi 1.3 1080p 23.98 into the surround DATASAT AP-20 processor where 7.1 is extracted lpcm then the HDMI output goes to DOREMI ghx-10 which converts hdmi to single hdsdi 1080p 23.98, that feeds the teranex which then creates both channels, the dual 1080p 23.98 hdsdi outputs separate left right eye signals then get fed into the Doremi Dimension 3-D via dual hdsdi which in turn 3d format converts to Frame Packed Blu-ray format, that is what is fed to the Samsung

Although thr DOREMI GHX-10 has color bit depth expansion the way the Kaleidescape was configured worked on 8 bit signal but created garbage if I set the ghx-10 to either 10 or 12 bit expansion 4:2:2.

With a new firmware ( 4.1.0-9114 ) release from kaleidescape the player now has deep color, I checked it off so now the ghx-10 is converting to 12 bit 4:2:2 and the samsung is set to deep color and yes the colors are more pleasantly saturated.

So add those conversions to the process, since the projector is a P series we will take advantage of this by strategically expanding the color triangle were told.
post #173 of 429 Old 01-24-2011, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks sipester, comments like these keep me getting out of bed.

There is an Oppo bdp-93/95 to play single blu-ray 3-D's, these would follow a different route into the projector through the hdmi 1.4 connection of a server board that is added to the projector.

The kaleidescape follows another route entirely. It's safe to say that we penetrate that projector through every possible means with video signals.

HDMI 1.4 for native 3-D from Blu-ray and DirecTV, HD-SDI for upconverted 3-D from Kaleidescape and DirectV 2-D, as well as encrypted PCIE from the digital cinema server in either 4k, 2k 2d or 2k 3-d. Last but no least there is 2-D blu-ray and DirecTV via dvi in and 2-D pc gaming via dvi input b.

I see now, this makes sense. If the Teranex is able to take a 2D Blu-Ray from the Kaleidescape and have it be even close to native 3D Blu-Ray from the Oppo, then that shows just how great the Teranex is. If that's the case, then I would guess that for convenience purposes most would just want to use the Kaleidescape interface for all movies (although it obviously makes sense to still have the Oppo 3D player in the rack, since this is the "Ultimate" 3D set-up afterall!)

Too bad the Teranex can't be controlled by Crestron, as that's rather cumbersome to have the hardware control build into the chair, someone at Teranex should get working on having this be able to be controlled by Crestron, AMX, etc.
post #174 of 429 Old 01-25-2011, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Too bad the Teranex can't be controlled by Crestron, as that's rather cumbersome to have the hardware control build into the chair, someone at Teranex should get working on having this be able to be controlled by Crestron, AMX, etc.

Actually you can control with cRestron if you outfit vc100 with a blank front panel , then it is either that or press remote tally lower right button to get remote connectivity rights .
post #175 of 429 Old 01-28-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The room within a room walls are made of LVL laminated wood for reduced vibrations. The outside room wall are sheet-metal.

The floating floor is in, back behind the platform a thinner higher tech construction applies to eliminate interference with the swinging doors.

Rear Hallway Under Projector: You could see the niche inside the wall for the PHC speaker and sub. These surround speakers came in

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #176 of 429 Old 01-28-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

On the other side of the screenwall the laundry

and the other side of the right wall a hallway.

I have 10 days to do all the prewiring in the room.
LL
LL
post #177 of 429 Old 01-29-2011, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #178 of 429 Old 01-30-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The speaker is built out of a layered Birch plank that is 60 times more expensive than comparable MDF. It's heavy and it's sprayed on Dura-coat finish is cool, robust and utilitarian. More speakers should be finished like these.

The matching subwoofers that go underneath are so heavy I could not move them...
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #179 of 429 Old 01-30-2011, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

With absolutely ginormous neodinium magnets moving the woofers this is going to rock. The sub is 60 inches tall, the 12's are 3 feet tall both 7" deep.

Correction to shop drawing: it's not the 8 it's the 12, 8's are for the rear, those are still very heavy but carriable.
LL
post #180 of 429 Old 01-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I see now, this makes sense. If the Teranex is able to take a 2D Blu-Ray from the Kaleidescape and have it be even close to native 3D Blu-Ray from the Oppo, then that shows just how great the Teranex is. If that's the case, then I would guess that for convenience purposes most would just want to use the Kaleidescape interface for all movies (although it obviously makes sense to still have the Oppo 3D player in the rack, since this is the "Ultimate" 3D set-up afterall!)

I dont have Kaleidescape but i have to agree with the above statement. I just use my Sony ES 400 Disc Bluray changer but it doesn't support 3D. So frustrating to have all my movies in the changer for 2D but then have to go to the 1 disc Samsung 3D Blu-ray to load a single movie. Especially now that I have 25 3D blu-rays. I miss the connivence of just selecting a movie by covert art from Control4.
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page