Those That Attend RealD 3D Cinema Often . . . - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-30-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Here is a website that sells Circular Polarized Eye Ware - an alternative to the cheap throwaways that are handed out at the theater:

Accessories Eyewear Circular Polarized

http://www.tru3d.com/products/view_p...509&Product=3D

There is another source called www.look3D.com but they don't seem to have their shopping cart in place yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-31-2010, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I might pick up a pair of these. I'll be screening a lot of 3D films and hate the recycled glasses.

David Budo
post #3 of 12 Old 03-31-2010, 02:56 AM

Liked: 10
the "terminator" style ones, bought them at stereo3d, are pretty good also. Definitely an improvement over the stock-standard realD variety with more light-throughput and slightly smoother/sharper appearance to images... plus they get the stamp of approval from my better half with significantly less complaints about 3D-induced head-aches (they were great for Avatar).. gotta be careful with them though as they're somewhat susceptible to light scratching.

Matt Goldsmith
DVDown Under
post #4 of 12 Old 04-11-2010, 12:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Not only was the Craken released but the Percival Zone Of Comfort has been for the first time Unshackled by a Torus.

Some may have read my complaints about the mottling unevenness of the 3D silver screens and the awful effect of it's large holes creating a giant colander whose patterns create repetitive "snap to grid" pixel and hole side effects that are very distractive and split the the z dimension as in xyz right in half like a badmington net.

Obviously a non perfed screen (or tightly woven) is a solution, but tonight I had the chance of seeing it in Real D on a beautiful Stewart 4.5 gain silver torus screen with top down masking that gracefully took advantage of the upward incline axis orientation of the stadium seating torus to gentle insert the curved masking boom just where it needed to land using only gravity. Bravo to Stewart or the rigger that recently refitted the Aventura AMC room 19 with a beautiful masking solution.

What can I say about RealD without perforations? And with perfect corner luminosity like No hotspot: IT IS JUST A F-CKING AMAZING sight to see, as I am watching the RealD I am jonesing a little bit for the ansi contrast and the MTF but I am surprised to see no pixel noise (what wolfgang calls the dlp motion bug) the ansi and the sharpness were a tad soft for my liking but the motion was fantastic.

Now Clash of the Titan is not a movie shot on 3D and this one was definetely transferred using some kind of automatic process that creates 6 or 7 layers (like the shooting gallery above), all parallel front to back as long as the motion is sideways the effect is very convincing but when the action swings front to back or viceversa you see the objects skipping the planes and there is where you will noticed side beveled dual images where you are not sure if it is one unicorn or there might by another unicorn behind it because a second profile sticks out ever so slightly. So with the exception of the movie being fake 3D, the corner to corner brightness and lack of single lens artifacting was beautiful. Well with the esception of 1)"the echo -profiling " and 2)the overall losiness of the synthetic ecosystem. This is no Pandora.

I really most congratulate AMC on this setup. The audio considering it had the three main horns above the screen was ok during the movie. Torus rooms are nightmares waiting to happen but this one held up pretty good and the visuals more than made up for the Non Imax sound. Which stadium 18 next door is the best DIGI-IMAX in the whole South Florida despite maybe blowing some woofers tonight with some very high SPL Low rumbling previews of TRON.

So what I thought it was a single Christie or Barco with a RealD ended up being a sony 220 or 320 with a dual lens attachment.

The great points were wonderful luminosity and UNIFORMITY best I have seen in that regard, in the sharp scenes of the movie and during really fast battle action the image trully excells, the not so good points AND foolish I , THINKING IT WAS A DLP at several points instictively looked for my trusted tasco spotting scope to focus the damned thing. Yeah the Sony was a bit soft and low in ansi but overall a great experience and a proud moment for a lone Torus champion like myself.

I then went to see the Imax presentation of How To T Your D (By far the most perfect real 3D of all three features) and Alice in Wonderland which is somewhere in between the other two flicks in 3D worthiness.

This is a great laboartory to see some of the best 3D kit around, None of them single lens projection.
LL
LL
LL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-11-2010, 12:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

More practical masking for sure than the one I had been conceiving for the CINERAMAX GRAND concept cinemas .

NOTE: 3D Dual Projectors positioned so as to throw off potential copycats. Not their correct situation.

And an early work in process 3D perspective:

LL
LL
LL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-11-2010, 12:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

They are making the Reald disposable glasses smaller, they no longer fit my head and the lens is smaller than the cinemascope projected image. I guess I will have to buy a pair of terminators to continue my viewing sessions at number 19.

post #7 of 12 Old 04-11-2010, 10:58 AM

HOLY COW!

Yep I think that about sums it up........

Cannot even imagine what monsterous Speaker system you have thought of for this......11 Munro M5's similar to the ones created for Wu Tang Clan...... and a Nuclear reactor for the Amp?

again.....

HOLY COW!
post #8 of 12 Old 04-11-2010, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hi Sean,

You will see that the surrounds are the all mighty M4+ capable of 130db.

LL
LL

post #9 of 12 Old 04-12-2010, 06:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
CINERAMAX,

I'll def have to check out theater #19 @ Aventura next time I go home on Leave. Thx 4 the review!
post #10 of 12 Old 04-21-2010, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the thanks.

I have been conducting some experiments with filling the whole 16' (4.88M) wide wall with a 1.85 image that is like 8.65' or 2.64M tall.

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #11 of 12 Old 04-21-2010, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

We have been making tremendous progress today. But I am craving for a good un-sharp mask.

One day I envision using the Teranex scaler Alan recommends to pre process each movie to one of three image presets before going on to get quadrupled to 4K with the IMB board.

If sony finds this process useful for the CINEALTA with the VDPRO DCine , I know we shall too; more so with the Teranex, you have to give Alan credit when it comes to image q.

I bet the TK Home Imax program also emulates from me that (preprosessed 4K), much like they did with the CR Modded Barco What I have that they never will is the DEPTH FX Mark II (or the Mark I for that matter ).

In fact the whole TK Home Imax projector concept started with an innocent PM right here that I have still saved (and backed up)to remind me of not falling for false pretenses again!

post #12 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 04:07 PM

I am overwhelmed by all of the pics of the AMC theater or whatever. I just want better glasses I can take with me! Thanks!

Perhaps even polarized contacts?!? /Dreaming...
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page