Need Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-02-2010, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi to all, first I must say I'm glad that I finally join this community!

please tell me with what kind of equipment are projected this 3d cubes, also is it word only for one projection or maybe two rear and front projections, and why there are extra transparent walls in the cube, are they making some stereoscopic effect or they are just false walls!?

BOOM-Box-EXYZT-1024 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5knDRSpSs0

Solidays 2008 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7SdkCQxz7I

Transmusicales de Rennes - Exyzt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtALqQdUT2A

is this done with laser projector like ESLP 8K or is word just for metal-halid light!? and if is word for standard projection are those 3d clips projected with 2000 or maybe 8000 lumens!? also what kind of projection screens are used here!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-02-2010, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Looks like staging lasers and perhaps trackable lights.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-03-2010, 02:13 AM

It's a 3D structure made out of piping with tulle (veil material) stretched around it. Then they mapped the video content to the sculpture. The tulle allows the projection to not only be visible but goes through it, creating the illusion of depth.

The video mapping program was developed by AntiVJ. Vector based so that the mapping can be done fairly quickly to match any physical surface.

Video projectors are used, the number required depending on the size of the structure. Couldn't find any info on lumens but it looks much closer to 8K than 2K.

Current projections are 2D but they are working on stereoscopic 3D which would be even more amazing.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-04-2010, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Yes it is, thanks johnty! mapping with few projections! and that with stereoscopic projection like imax moment would be even more spectacular although this is also awesome!

could be this done with home made lcd laptop projector? coz more lumens better experience, and less expenses! with home made lcd projector I could get from 13k to 32k lumens projections, and everything drawn on low budget!?

johnty can u get any close amount of price for this kind of show, whichever collective or artist is behind, preferably AntiVj, Exyzt, Pablo Velbuena, Nuformer or Urban Screen...

Thanks Again Cheers
post #5 of 10 Old 06-04-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

The lasertaging folks are more into the low budget version (using a high-powered laser pointer and commercially available DLP projector as they did in Rotterdam a few years ago), google those.

DJ lasers may also used to draw the relatively simple figures shown in the first clip, though in green, not in white.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-04-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Price, hmm, two days of staging crew, at least, to build and take down the tube structure. Renting a number of big ass projectors at a couple of K each. Artist to draw and design the show, and so on...
post #7 of 10 Old 06-04-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion donaldk! but to cover large parts of the screen with texture it is impossible with that kind of laser, for sure with "ESLP 8K" but those cost 500-700k euro, so its out of my range, even tho there is some new laser promises on the horizon like pico-projector but for now in small variant... http://www.build.com.mk/forum/forum_...ID=17776#17776
post #8 of 10 Old 06-04-2010, 03:16 PM

beton, the Étienne de Crécy videos you first referenced were produced by EXYZT. I would suggest you go to their website where you can find a contact email and talk to them directly about the specifics of their production including costs if they are willing to divulge such information.

http://www.exyzt.org/

I would think that the PJs are data grade LCD with 4:3 panels. Not much need for a high-resolution DCI PJ with 16:9 AR.

As donaldk points out, the cost of staging is probably spendy. A 20K lumen Christie Roadster rents for $4,400/day. A pico-projector with 10 lumens isn't going to work. If you can build a home made LCD PJ that pumps out 32K lumens, my hat's off to you! Should do the job very nicely.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-04-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

FOr this type of projection no real resolution/detail is required, let alone colour accuracy, so limited gamut halogen bulbs work just fine. Just get a box, an broken down lcd monitor, and some 10,- builders lights, don't add irises or filters and that's how you get 20K lumens out of a box. Add some big ass fans (no not the trademarked ones from Kentucky;-)), as a couple of 500/1000 watt halogen glass tubes put out a lot of heat.

For home theater this is generally discouraged, as any old CRT or used 150 LCD projector will outperform such a contraption, wich costs much more in parts alone.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-07-2010, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

I have the solution for the pj's, normaly diy ones, but without fresnel lens the actual ansilumens from the bulb are rapidly declining at the output, also beside lenses and good MH bulb, you need condenser lens for the bulb...

anyway my dilema now is the projection mapping, could this kind of projection be easly done with Isadora or Module8 or I must go for the AntiVJ's software!? coz one thing is to prepare video material for the show, and another to composit it on the 3d stage!

Cheers http://blog.antivj.com/category/vjing/page/2/
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page