Avatar Special Edition 3D thoughts, review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-04-2010, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all;

Counting my trip to Cinemark RealD 3D XD theater last week to watch the Special Edition on opening night, I have now seen Avatar 7 times in RealD 3D XD. I also have it in Blu-Ray and have watched it once on my smallish 32" Samsung 720p TV, with a very good traditional Yamaha/ Bang and Olufsen sound system. I'll comment on the 3D experience in a moment, first allow me to rave about the movie. Let me preface my raving by stating the obvious - how one rates a movie is largely subjective and depends on personal taste, but there are objective aspects also.

The Avatar Review:

The ONLY thing I did not like about it was the over-the-top evil capitalist theme. This coming from Cameron, who is the ultimate uber-capitalist!

That having been said, after seven trips and hundreds of dollars for tickets and munchies , I still consider it the best movie ever made. Not just the best sci-fi flick, the best movie. I don't lightly give it that rating.

It's a love story, an epic war movie, a sci-fi extravaganza. It has nearly perfect dialog, the pacing is flawless, each scene flows into the next. It makes me cry, it makes me laugh, it makes me smile ear-to-ear until my face hurts. I *never* fail to get continuous tingles during the "Tame the Ikran and fly!" scenes. When Jake and Neytiri fly together I'm am literally moved to tears - *each* time I go. Perhaps my love of flying has something to do with it (I am a private pilot), or my love of mountaineering and rock-climbing.

When Grace dies, the flow into the "lets kick ass" speech to the Navi is perfect. Quaritch is the *perfect* tough, hard-to-kill, sociopathic military bastard, the role is flawlessly acted. Only Papa Dragon would have the courage to not give up when his ship in crashing in flames, get into a suit and jump free, land and get back to the business of hunting Jake - PISSED off and looking for blood.

The film is filled with great little touches like the way Proxima Centauri shows up in one beautiful shot of the cobalt morning sky - small, red and distant. The shadows of the moons on the gas giant line up correctly. The red-glow of the heat-exchangers on the Venture Star, hot from the deceleration from .8c. The way 3D is everywhere in the world of the future - the pictures on the 'fridge, the computer displays, all are 3D. (Anyone who only sees the movie on 2D Blu-Ray would never notice that.) I could go on and on. I bet that anyone like me who is a total sci-fi nut with thousands of volumes of books will see the depth of the research that went into the flick.

The new footage, for the most part, makes the movie better. The Tsu'tey death scene also made me tear-up, and the new "hunt from the air" shots were great and made some of the original flying scenes make more sense. I also liked the quick shots of the results of the Navi attacks on the 'dozers - that pointed up how worried the Earthers had a right to be. I only wish the new version had shown Jake hooking up again with his original Ikran after Toruk is set free. I told a friend who is also an Avatar fan that the new version made the love scene X-rated - he scornfully exclaimed "they did not!", but I told him I was not lying, it was X-rated if you were a Navi watching, but not if you are human!

And the music! By itself, it is not super-great. but when coupled with the movie, the resulting art is very, very powerful.

The Theater Experience:

As I mentioned, I've only seen it in Cinemark RealD 3D on the huge XD screen, with the Christie DLP system.

The surround-sound in the XD theaters is fabulous. The volume is literally deafening, but I use my Etymotics Research Er-20 Hi Fidelity earplugs http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx and the result is a comfortable experience for my ears, allowing me to enjoy the chest-pounding bass of the explosions sans pain. Sounds come from all directions in the theater, perfectly coordinated with the action.

As an amateur astronomer, I am a total nut when it comes to focus and clarity. back in the days of film projectors, I would be constantly banging on the door of the projection booth, demanding a re-focus. For Avatar in XD, the focus and clarity was flawless. I always sat in the precise center spot in the theater, with my head positioned along a line normal to the exact center of the screen. There was zero motion blur, no artifacts of any kind. I have to wear the 3D-glasses over my eyeglasses ( I am slightly nearsighted and only wear the eyeglasses at movies, which gives you an idea of how obsessed I am about movie focus.) Yes, the glasses make things seem a bit dim, but by the time the trailers for the other 3D movies were over and Avatar started, I was fully adjusted. Color depth was excellent, and I never saw any pixelation. No headaches or eyestrain.

In addition to the "depth" effect of looking into the screen, there is also plenty of "things between the screen and my face" - falling ash, insects, the heads of the troops and the Navi when they are gathered in groups.

I was going to go again tonight, but to my horror "Machete" had bumped Avatar from the XD screen! NOOOOOO!

Now, all that is available is RealD 3D on the smallest screen in the Cinemark theater, projected from a Barco DP2K-32B. I fumed for a while. I googled around looking, but the closest IMAX 3D theater is in Phoenix, 500 miles away. Too Far. Then I found some threads on AVS, and decided that I could do a service by going tomorrow and watching it on the Barco DP2K-32B and then posting my critique. After all, it still has to be at least a little better than Blu-Ray at home.

I do have one question. In the XD theater and on my Blu-Ray disc, the screen ratio is 16:9. But, I also saw a NetFlix trailer of Avatar (on my Samsung BD-P1580 ) that seemed to be in Scope 2.35:1 ratio. Any comments on this most welcome!

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-05-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by raargh View Post

I also saw a NetFlix trailer of Avatar (on my Samsung BD-P1580 ) that seemed to be in Scope 2.35:1 ratio. Any comments on this most welcome!

Steve

In a real cinema trailers are offered in both formats to match the ratio of the main feature it precedes.

Quote:

, but to my horror "Machete" had bumped Avatar from the XD screen! NOOOOOO!
Steve

Obviously not on the same intellectual level as Avatar. More of a leave your brain at home popcorn movie but I am still looking forward to this one, should be fun.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-05-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I still consider it the best movie ever made.
Steve

I'm sorry,you are joking,right ?

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #4 of 11 Old 09-05-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I'm sorry,you are joking,right ?

Art

I know this might seem odd, but yes, I like it best. FYI below is a list of movies I love, in no particular order, and I rate Avatar at the top. BTW, I just got back from seeing it for the 8th time, first time in a theater where I did not see it at a Cinemark XD. It was on one of the small screens at the local Tinseltown, seats 110. There was a disappointingly high level of motion blur compared to the previous 7 viewings in the XD theater. The blur really bugged me and took away a lot of the pleasure of the movie. Even so, I still teared-up when Tsu-tey died, and got plenty of leg-thrills during the flying scenes.

I spoke to the projectionist, and he reported that the XD theater still has a Barco DP-3000 with 2K resolution (my previous post was wrong - he said they foolishly show the Christie add prior to the movies, all screens at Tinseltown use Barco). The small theater I went to today has a brand-new Barco DP2K-20c (my previous post was wrong). The XD theater will be upgraded this month to the new flagship Barco DP2K-32B, with the 4K DMD module.

So, can anyone explain why there was virtually no motion blur in the XD theater with the DP-3000, but horrible blur with the DP2K-20c? The projectionist said that in both theaters, they use a single project0r, 144Hz flash overflash with a RealD "splitter" feed. The movie was bright, and sharp, just not quite as crisp as the XD. (I use things like ear-fuzz as a reference standard)

Movies I love in no particular order:

Dr. Strangelove, Blade Runner, Avatar, Life of Brian, Quest for the Holy Grail, Titanic, 2001, Third Star Wars in the series, The Incredibles, Team America, The Graduate, Aliens, Day the Earth Stood Still, Castaway, Galaxy Quest, Funny thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, most Pink Panther movies, History of the World Part I, and Animal House.

Of those, I still like Avatar the best. So, from my point of view, it is the Best Movie Ever Made.

So, Art - what are your faves?

Steve
post #5 of 11 Old 09-06-2010, 05:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

In a real cinema trailers are offered in both formats to match the ratio of the main feature it precedes.

Seems a lot of cinemas never got that memo.... damn TPS reports!
post #6 of 11 Old 09-06-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

So, Art - what are your faves?

Steve

no order to name a few....

Blade Runner
Patton
Modern Times
Cinderella Man
The Sting
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Big Sleep
Forbidden Planet
House of Games
Das Boot
The Wizard of Oz
The Godfather
Goldfinger
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Ben Hur
Magnum Force
2001 a Space Odyssey
Cady Shack
From Russia With Love
Real Genius
Dracula
Jaws
Dr Strange Love
Apollo 13
42nd Street
Gattaca
The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

but except for Ben Hur and Patton I'd not hold them up as the greatest movie ever made.

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #7 of 11 Old 09-06-2010, 07:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

no order to name a few....

Blade Runner
Patton
Modern Times
Cinderella Man
The Sting
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Big Sleep
Forbidden Planet
House of Games
Das Boot
The Wizard of Oz
The Godfather
Goldfinger
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Magnum Force
2001 a Space Odyssey
Cady Shack
From Russia With Love
Real Genius
Dracula
Jaws
Dr Strange Love
Apollo 13
42nd Street
Gattaca
The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

but except for Ben Hur and Patton I'd not hold them up as the greatest movie ever made.

Ahh... But the real question is , which make of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" did you like?

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #8 of 11 Old 09-06-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

no saving private ryan and lord of the rings?

post #9 of 11 Old 09-06-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Since I thought the plot sucked, I guess I am not the best to ask, but going by your list I would say 2001 walks all over Avatar. I don't even consider Avatar close to the best movie of the last three years, which for me is No Country For Old Men.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #10 of 11 Old 10-28-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:

So, can anyone explain why there was virtually no motion blur in the XD theater with the DP-3000, but horrible blur with the DP2K-20c? The projectionist said that in both theaters, they use a single project0r, 144Hz flash overflash with a RealD "splitter" feed. The movie was bright, and sharp, just not quite as crisp as the XD. (I use things like ear-fuzz as a reference standard)

Steve,

What you're seeing is probably not motion blur, but 3D cross talk (typically due to bad settings of the 3D parameters). What is impacted through bad 3D settings is ghosting, which looks like blur (not motion blur).

When the settings of the 3D parameters are not done well (either Dark Time or Reference delay), content leaks from left-eye to right-eye (and vice versa) and you see blurred edges even when looking with 1 eye.

Kenneth
post #11 of 11 Old 11-11-2010, 05:24 AM
amt

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

Since I thought the plot sucked, I guess I am not the best to ask, but going by your list I would say 2001 walks all over Avatar. I don't even consider Avatar close to the best movie of the last three years, which for me is No Country For Old Men.

Same for me. I have never thought Cameron's movies were good in plot or dialog department. Special effects? #1. Everything else? not #1. Best Cameron movie: probably a tie between Abyss and T2. Acting and dialog in Titanic was, blah....
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page