Barco's best projector to date.....the DP2k-P?. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 04-14-2011, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Location: From Coconut Grove FL to the rest of the globe with TLC.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 69
My projector engineer associates in Hollywood were raving about the first such projector to arrive to Hollywood (ironically bound for a customer in Miami-Skoll ).

To Drive the "GOLD STANDARD" motif home the lettering is in GOLD!

The color gamut is ready for it to master future releases in every color space imaginable. As you can see by this plot IT IS INSANE. Studios will certainly be able to master film and video (deep color formats) with an mind boggling level of precision.

I conversations with my good 3D videophile friend from the forum, he said I do not need the P projector as the color gamut cannot be used for good rec 709.

I appreciate his purism, but what you did not know that my associates that are squarely involved with 1,000 Barco 4k installations for Cinemark, they said that they have never seen a better looking, more uniform, more color uniform "Native white is a near perfect 6375k. Variance across screen is outstanding at only 26K",DCI projector.

"The parts on this projector appear clearly to be hand-picked and matched at the source".

The Integrator Rod was a surprise to see, the shape of the aperture plate is unlike anything one could have imagined, something looking like a radiation warning label, or two happy faces, If I showed you I would have to shoot you kind of thing.

Many projector manufacturers promise hand picked dmd's, few have managed to have gone to these extremes. Bravo Barco!

So it seems the P series is back on the table for super-high-end home cinema , and just think
LL
LL

DP2KP Model (1).pdf 48.904296875k . file

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-29-2011, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 489
MAYBE Coldmachine has finally found his new projector. Is the gold lettering optional? I like a lit ribbon signage for it, something you could toggle off and on and a customization plate. This projector hand crafted for. Where is CM now a days?

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3 of 33 Old 06-29-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Cine... Is anyone using these projectors in the Philly area?

XBL GT:

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log:

post #4 of 33 Old 07-11-2011, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Cine... Is anyone using these projectors in the Philly area?

Probably not, now less than a dozen have gone in.

The DP4K-P version will be the ultimate Barco when it comes out.

post #5 of 33 Old 08-15-2011, 02:36 PM

Liked: 10
It is a very nice unit if you have the proper source to exploit it to the max. I would not say we hand pick the parts. The secret lies in the optical path. We chose different optical filters and parts to optimize the unit. More expensive, less main stream but we know we have the market for it.

Marc Porlier

As of Jan 2012 I no longer work for Barco. So my comments do not represent the views of my former employer but only my own.

Sincerely
post #6 of 33 Old 08-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I'm excited about this projector and am spec'ing a separate projection room from the theater for a piece such as this... The "P" designation is for Post Production (should call it the PP model ) I'm going to make a special trip to Toronto to take a look at this device. Anyone have any idea of the black level? I don't expect it to be very low, but I'm curious to know.

(Website)

Video Contributor

post #7 of 33 Old 08-19-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mporlier View Post

It is a very nice unit if you have the proper source to exploit it to the max.

IF this PRIMA CINEMA get's off the ground every one of their customers would be a moron not to get this unit as the real benefit of this projector is for DCI color space, it has a mode that nearly doubles the dci color space but yet looks beautiful on DCI content with gorgeuous greens like you have never seen. This should be the ultimate videophile color space.

post #8 of 33 Old 08-19-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

It is a very nice unit if you have the proper source to exploit it to the max. I would not say we hand pick the parts. The secret lies in the optical path. We chose different optical filters and parts to optimize the unit. More expensive, less main stream but we know we have the market for it.

Will Barco have a booth at Cedia? If so, what pjs are you guys going to be showing?

Are you going to Cedia? If so, then be prepared to be followed around by Peter.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #9 of 33 Old 08-19-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
To make sure you don't talk to any Planar folks, LOL.

I guess Marc won't be at IBC, Barco probably will be, haven't checked the exhibitorlist, yet, but Barco hasn't sponsored the DCi (projection) programme at IBC for years, so Christie and Sony projectors only for demo's in the big auditorium. When Barco returned it was with the monitor(ing) products. Later expanded to include some set and lighting products.
post #10 of 33 Old 08-23-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
IF this PRIMA CINEMA get's off the ground every one of their customers would be a moron not to get this unit as the real benefit of this projector is for DCI color space, it has a mode that nearly doubles the dci color space but yet looks beautiful on DCI content with gorgeuous greens like you have never seen. This should be the ultimate videophile color space.
I am curious about Prima Cinema. I wonder how expensive this will be knowing what our customers pay on the Bel-Air circuit...

As for the color of our P unit I will let others be the judge.

Marc Porlier

As of Jan 2012 I no longer work for Barco. So my comments do not represent the views of my former employer but only my own.

Sincerely
post #11 of 33 Old 08-23-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Will Barco have a booth at Cedia? If so, what pjs are you guys going to be showing?

Sorry, it looks like Barco will not be at Cedia. It is not really our intended market. We will be at ShowSouth ( http://www.natoofga.com/events.htm) and then ShowEast (http://www.showest.com/filmexpo/showeast/index.jsp). I am glad to see dealers displaying our products, I think it is the best way to go at it.

I must say I am impressed at what is done with our units. I never expected someone installing such a beast in a HT. Don't you find them to bright?

Marc Porlier

Sincerely
post #12 of 33 Old 08-23-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
I am of no interest to Peter. He is well connected way higher in our hierarchic

Marc Porlier

Sincerely
post #13 of 33 Old 08-23-2011, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, he proudly showed-off the guys in Armani;-).

As for too bright, well throw away 50+ percent to get some better on-off contrast, then throw away 86% on active 3D, and you end up sitting in the dark, lol.
post #14 of 33 Old 08-23-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk
Yeah, he proudly showed-off the guys in Armani;-).

As for too bright, well throw away 50+ percent to get some better on-off contrast, then throw away 86% on active 3D, and you end up sitting in the dark, lol.
Yeah a 32B and you are in the dark? I don't think do...

Marc Porlier

Sincerely
post #15 of 33 Old 08-25-2011, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, it looks like Barco will not be at Cedia. It is not really our intended market. We will be at ShowSouth ( http://www.natoofga.com/events.htm) and then ShowEast (http://www.showest.com/filmexpo/showeast/index.jsp). I am glad to see dealers displaying our products, I think it is the best way to go at it.

I must say I am impressed at what is done with our units. I never expected someone installing such a beast in a HT. Don't you find them to bright?

Thanks for the heads up. I thought Shoeast was usually in Orlando. This year it is about four miles from my house. I will make my way over to it.

post #16 of 33 Old 08-25-2011, 06:57 PM

ShoeEast is in ...

Marc Porlier

Sincerely
post #17 of 33 Old 08-25-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Anything at IBC this year, Marc?

BTW, I was told today the large 30 series Panasonics are scheduled to be on show.
post #18 of 33 Old 08-25-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

Anything at IBC this year, Marc?

BTW, I was told today the large 30 series Panasonics are scheduled to be on show.

Barco Silex will be present. I honestly don't know about the rest but it does not like we will be present.

I don't know how Panasonic does in the HT industry but I use to sell quite a lot in the corporate world and museum installations. They are work horses, very reliable. That is what I used in both those applications:

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=59997
http://pacmusee.qc.ca/en/exhibitions/multimedia-show

Marc Porlier

Sincerely
post #19 of 33 Old 08-25-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I was refering to the commercial plasma range, the larger sizes are used as secondary screens, for the non-darkened rooms. There isn't much competition in the 85"-103" range. The price jump to the largest one is severe, in HT the 152.5" 4K is too expensive, a Barco is considerably cheaper, probably more in line with the 103". At 200" diagonal one should still get enough light out a new bulb to emulate flatpanel cd/m2 values, only it is 4 times the size.
post #20 of 33 Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 PM

I knew this...

Marc Porlier

Sincerely
post #21 of 33 Old 08-25-2011, 08:30 PM

I was always curious if these massive three chip DLP projectors from Barco were compatible with any type or form of Blu-Ray 3D? I'm assuming they aren't?
post #22 of 33 Old 08-26-2011, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

ShoeEast is in Orlando.

ShoEast is in Hollywood Beach (adjacent to Miami Beach) this year. Coinciding with the opening of the CINERAMAX RealD/Barco-Superkontrast/D-box 4K4D Lab.

post #23 of 33 Old 08-26-2011, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymnfun View Post

I was always curious if these massive three chip DLP projectors from Barco were compatible with any type or form of Blu-Ray 3D? I'm assuming they aren't?

Really? You are misinformed, we have been doing that for over a year. Read Post Above.

post #24 of 33 Old 08-27-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ShoeEast is in ...

Quote:

ShoEast is in Hollywood Beach (adjacent to Miami Beach) this year. Coinciding with the opening of the CINERAMAX RealD/Barco-Superkontrast/D-box 4K4D Lab.

Marc,
You changed your reply.

According to your link, it is at the Westin in Hollywood. I hope this is correct, as it would be nice to have a ten minute drive to the convention.

post #25 of 33 Old 08-27-2011, 11:57 AM

I certainly says its in Miami. I was just checking if you guys were following...

Marc Porlier

Sincerely
post #26 of 33 Old 08-28-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

No biggie. Are you going to attend?

post #27 of 33 Old 08-28-2011, 03:21 PM

Unfortunatly no but I wish I could go!

Marc Porlier

Sincerely
post #28 of 33 Old 09-11-2011, 06:43 AM

Anyone attending ShowEast (http://www.showeast.com/filmexpo/showeast/index.jsp) is in for very cool stuff from us.

Marc Porlier

Sincerely
post #29 of 33 Old 02-18-2012, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The dp4k-p; seems like it will materialise come summer.

post #30 of 33 Old 02-18-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The dp4k-p; seems like it will materialise come summer.

This had peaked my interest but I am thinking the laser retro will surpass
the strengths of the P. The B series may be the way to go.
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page