BluRay 3D on professional D-Cinema equipment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-06-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings.

After reading W.Mayer's post about building a Bluray 3D home theater with such expensive equipment, I wondered if adding a MasterImage MI-2100 unit would be possible for making a polarized image for passive circular 3D glasses (RealD compatible).

The Doremi Dimension 3D unit seems to be able to convert the frame packed Bluray signal to the Dual HDSDI (one cable for each eye) which then feeds the Barco.
The MasterImage unit is synched from the Barco.

Any comments or ideas on whether or not this setup would work?

Edit: Ok, the Doremi Dimension 3D unit doesn't handle HDCP....
So instead of a standalone BD player, one might be able to use a Windows PC with Anydvd HD and PowerDVD for outputting the Bluray signal HDCP.
Complicated, but looks duable (in theory).

Cheers.
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Might find related tips in a tech paper appearing in the SMPTE's May/June special 3D Motion Imaging Journal issue. This pdf paper covers similar territory, including (page 18) that subjective test results favored active shutters (despite more artifacts) versus passive polarization. -- John
post #3 of 10 Old 06-06-2011, 04:58 PM

Cue Cineramax....3.....2......1.....
post #4 of 10 Old 06-09-2011, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 49
re original post It would work.

Thanks John for the link however I qualify with this: I will print the white paper in quantity and position it next to both my toilets. These results are from a test subjects that are uninitiated amateurs, it significantly deviates from my findings.

The master Image will exhibit more ghosting than the RealD XLW, don't ask me why, could have been ghostbusting when a/b'd at the symposium in Texas.

While the active glasses are good there is a mtf price to pay, not to mention the extended session shutter fatigue. A key issue I have with active since I do not watch 2-D at all, and am conspiring to remove the 2D button from every remote control in the world.

I have no doubt that as more and more flat panels go the LG way (RealD) or the upgraded full HD version from Samsung, that people will get hooked on the ability to walk from room to room with their glasses left on, at that point walking into the theater and having the best 3D possible is the natural progression. There are some truly incredible RealD glasses out there which are a joy to clad, don't go by the JSP theater version.

While with a DCI projector the active technology rocks as evidenced by us taking the gold in CEDIA (in short term viewing sessions) RealD is the future, of course that leaves the issue of perforated FP screens which greatly impact the Image.

By adapting the old Torus, where we intend to make a huge push in upcoming projects, we will portray the most even and cohesive polarized images from Blu-ray in RealD using their polarizers.

I spent the weekend in Los Angeles commissioning the very first Panavision 3D Fully hdcp compatible blu-ray system, I will post pictures, the dark time adjustments were crucial, but at the end the 3D looked nearly indistinguishable from it's DCI counterparts.

Regarding the bit depth error perceptions, these bozos should have had an Oppo set to 36 bit color depth and match the rec 709 bit depth on the projector, that is how I fixed the pixel perception issue.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-09-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

While I would have loved to have my trusted old Barco setup with the Panavision rig, handicapping that the projector is not in the same ultra-videophile league the image in DCI was great and the blu-ray 3D after 6 hours of tweaking performed excellent (BTW-100% HDCP COMPATIBLE thanks to my own initiative).

Notice the AP-20 in the sound rack, Thanks to Carl Huff the room (although well balanced from a standing wave point) was a bit of a torture chamber, with the mains sounding cardboardy, the image discombobulated and not hollosonic, the bass anemic and the surrounds shrill to the max, it was all fixed magically with the ap-20 placed in line. This is the second time I hear the same results with wildly different systems. I will post more later on the ap-20 thread.

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #6 of 10 Old 06-10-2011, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

re original post It would work.

I spent the weekend in Los Angeles commissioning the very first Panavision 3D Fully hdcp compatible blu-ray system, I will post pictures, the dark time adjustments were crucial, but at the end the 3D looked nearly indistinguishable from it's DCI counterparts.

Regarding the bit depth error perceptions, these bozos should have had an Oppo set to 36 bit color depth and match the rec 709 bit depth on the projector, that is how I fixed the pixel perception issue.

Thanks Cineramax.

The reason for my proposed setup is to see if it's possible to screen some of the older 3D titles (eventually coming to Bluray-3D) instead of their 35mm counterparts in StereoVision, SpaceVision, WarnerVision, etc.
Think Jaws-3D and Flesh of Frankenstein.
As long as we're not talking anaglyph source material, I take the Bluray versions will utilize the 'stacked' Frame Packing method as newer films do.

Cineramax: Do you know of any scaler or box other than the Doremi Dimension-3D that'll do conversion from 3DBD 'Frame Packed 3D' to 'Sequential 3D' (outputted via dual SDI)?
The Panavision 3D ruled out... as it has to work with an already installed MasterImage solution
post #7 of 10 Old 06-10-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

no there aren't.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanj View Post

Thanks Cineramax.

The reason for my proposed setup is to see if it's possible to screen some of the older 3D titles (eventually coming to Bluray-3D) instead of their 35mm counterparts in StereoVision, SpaceVision, WarnerVision, etc.
Think Jaws-3D and Flesh of Frankenstein.
As long as we're not talking anaglyph source material, I take the Bluray versions will utilize the 'stacked' Frame Packing method as newer films do.

Cineramax: Do you know of any scaler or box other than the Doremi Dimension-3D that'll do conversion from 3DBD 'Frame Packed 3D' to 'Sequential 3D' (outputted via dual SDI)?
The Panavision 3D ruled out... as it has to work with an already installed MasterImage solution

You can use any of the lumagen scalers to convert frame packed bluray to frame sequential. You could use two and set one for left eye and one for right eye. Then you would just need a box that could convert the 2 hdmi outputs to two sdi connections. I would think there has to be a box to convert.

Atleast I think that would work. I can use two lumagen scalers. One set for left eye and one set for right eye. Then I can output 1080p/60 or 1080p/24 to each of the Titan main and sub dvi inputs. Basically feeding the Titan 120hz.

Just mentioning it for what it's worth.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-11-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Lumagen would be a nice VP for D-Cinema alt content if they added 2048 x 1080 24/60 as an output. I prefer to scale 1920 so all content hits the screen at the same ratio sharing one masking memory. To my eye the wider ratio looks more cinema then boxy 16x9.
I talked to someone at Lumagen a few weeks back about adding this but they did not seam very interested or did not understand the opportunity. Series two projectors have two DVI inputs that can be configured for ether duel or single channel leaving the HDSDI inputs for the cinema server.
There are very few VPs on the market available to the commercial cinema for alternative content let-alone one with 3D processing. Cinemas have a limited choice and what is avail to them only offer basic features. This would open up another market for Lumagen.
I am currently using a Gefen VP, it throws a great image. HDSDI single or duel output. I use an AJA mini convertor to HDMI feeding one DVI input.
As Peter mentioned currently the Doremi Dimension-3D is the only option.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
...I will print the white paper in quantity and position it next to both my toilets...

Is it for reading or wiping?
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page