Harry Potter 3D, Lots of Crosstalk on Christie CP2230 w/ RealD XL - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I saw this film today and noticed a lot of ghosting/crosstalk...

It was most visible in high contrast scenes with bright objects that border dark backgrounds.

I also saw ghosting on most of the Gold/shinny objects.

I am very experienced with 3D movies in the theater (I have seen 20+ 3D movies in the theater) and have never seen anything like this when it comes to crosstalk.

The theater was a 48' wide 2.35:1 screen
The PJ was a Christie CP2230 DLP using the RealD XL system.

Did anyone else have any problems with crosstalk while seeing this movie?

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal
THX Certified Video Calibration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-09-2011, 05:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This is a strange one. I have also experienced several movies using the RealD system and never saw anything close to what you are describing. The brand of projector would not cause this. I would guess improper setup.
If anyone asks you to return to the cinema and film the movie with your cell phone so we can see the problem first hand "dont do it"
post #3 of 9 Old 08-10-2011, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
the dark time adjustments can do this and possible a brocken z screen
(the switching polarizer in front of the optic).
almost impossible that the pr. cause the problem.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-11-2011, 12:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 50
High contrast scenes frequently pose a potential ghost situation. On the teranex 2D converter a movie shot outside can be cranked up +15-+22for more effects without any ghosting, but on some high contrast scenes like the existing 2001 so, one has to tame it down for less depth -09 (it still has depth there) otherwise it can ghost.

That is why we hardcode the processors FX settings based on a look-up table triggered by the kaleidescape film id.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-13-2011, 12:12 PM

Liked: 10
It's not the movie because I saw it in a film-based IMAX and didn't notice any ghosting. IMAX claims that their 45 degree polarization system has fewer ghosting problems than ReadDs circular polarization. Having watched a lot of 3D on both systems, I would agree, as long as I keep my head vertical in an IMAX theater.

My guess is that the preprocessing that RealD has to do for each film had problems with the high contrast/shinny scenes. The only way to verify a hardware or software problem would be to see it again in a different ReadD theater. No ghosting, probably hardware issue in your favorite theater.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-13-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

the limitation is the silver screen.

best silver screens have till to 150:1 extinction ratio not more.
best rear pr. screen have only arround 100:1!!!

if ghosting is a problem you need a 3d set up with the best shutter
glasses together with a dlp pr. or a passive double stack pr. with infitec or dolby.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-13-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I disagree Herr Übervorführer. There are silver screens with 250:1 signal to noise ratios and I have seen some really really good polarized 3D with the RealD XLW. In fact I am now outfitting the world's first RealD 4k Blu-ray 3D Laboratory for inspection by a prestigious German Dignitary that saw your 4k install.

While no doubt your setup with the dual xenon superinfitecs and the 4k B-32's is great, you are limited to not using the zoom aspect ratio change, also having 2 projectors must be very high on the electrical consumption.

So a solution must be found with single projector polarization, the little LG projector was not so bad on ghosting this will be much better picture.

Also the people from RealD and Depth Q say that infitec method is assimetrical, that the left eye does not get the same wavelength as the right eye, that could be a problem with some viewers discomfort. I know you say no Herr Übervorführer , but based on me seeing panavision and dolby systems there is something not quite right yet. Perhaps is the fact they were single projector.

We both know how the shutter glass works on a white screen and it is quite good but only short term, long term you get eye-nerve fatigue.

So Florida is hereby challenging das Bayern's dp4k-b32 Doppelgangersuperanlagen with a RealD z-screen equipped dp4k-23b with improved P series contrast mods, new more precise s-gammas and the mighty teranex 2d to 3d converter optimized for maximum effect with minimal ghosting for each one of 300 individual movies from the Kaleidescape. Furthermore our 4k will be sharfer due to fixed optics.

Let's see how we stack up.
LL
post #8 of 9 Old 08-14-2011, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

i dont know what you mean by " signal to noise ratios " ?
but may thats the new word for extinsion ratio for screens....

its long time ago i made all this testing but even if this number is in the
250:1 range the screnn is "BA FAR the bottleneck"

i have test in my 30 years i do 3d a lot of different silver screens together with a polarizer that are very likely the best are ever made in the wolrd.

i already publisch it here long time ago i cant found any visible improvments in ghosting
with this factor 50 or 100 times better polarizer and the reasony why was the silver screen!

all silver screen manufacturere having a problem as the best is to spray only the
siver partikels on a surface but when they add some material that protect the silver
partikels from oxidate (this destroy the extinsion ratio) this kills the extinsion ratio
as well.
but without any protection not only for oxidate also the handling is a nightmare
as when you tuch such a not protectet silver screen or fold it you have a bug inside
that never goes away and this is in 2d bad but a nightmare in 3d!!!

the best silver screen i have in my over 30 years was from MW in germany.
this screen was so sensitiv that i say
"dont look at the screen to intensiv as this will create a bug that never goes away".
sad that this company and this screen goes away.

so no protection the screen can be good in extinsion ratio but oxidate will destroy soon
this good extinsion ratio.
put a lot of protection inside the surface will drop the extinsion ratio a lot from the
beginning but will keep this ratio for a much longer time.

but not forget also protected silver screen(i think today are only good protectet silver screens at the market) are not stable over time and they will loose extinsion ratio when you count in years.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-14-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

From the manufacturers website:
"Such and such screen produces the most uniform gain 3D projection screens on the market. With an amazing signal to noise ratio ranging from 200:1 to 250:1 with a gain of 2.2."
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page