Is The "First" Star Wars Coverted to 3D Worth Seeing in 3D Theater? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 17,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Please advise. Thanks.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-11-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Alan Gouger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Steve I saw the trailer for this and was surprised it looked pretty good for being converted from 3D. My votes says it will be worth seeing.

Have fun.
Alan Gouger is offline  
Old 02-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Senior Member
 
reanimator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I saw it in 3D on Friday. Whether or not it's worth your while depends on how you feel about PHANTOM MENACE in general.

I said in another thread that the 3D quality reminded me a lot of TRON: LEGACY. Which is to say that long stretches of the film have little 3D pop. Every now and again a shot stands out with strong depth. The opening title crawl is kind of cool, where the words stand out very prominently against the starfield.

I found the overall PQ basically the same as the bluray.

If you're like me, and simply have a curiosity factor about it, you'll probably find a mixed bag.
reanimator is offline  
Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 17,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

Steve I saw the trailer for this and was surprised it looked pretty good for being converted from 3D. My votes says it will be worth seeing. Have fun.

Yea, but they can always do their best 3D conversion for the parts in the trailer!


Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post

I saw it in 3D on Friday. Whether or not it's worth your while depends on how you feel about PHANTOM MENACE in general.

I said in another thread that the 3D quality reminded me a lot of TRON: LEGACY. Which is to say that long stretches of the film have little 3D pop. Every now and again a shot stands out with strong depth. The opening title crawl is kind of cool, where the words stand out very prominently against the starfield.

I found the overall PQ basically the same as the bluray.

If you're like me, and simply have a curiosity factor about it, you'll probably find a mixed bag.

One of only two 3D movies in theater I've seen since Avatar was Tron:Legacy and I completely agree with your comments. My assumption was that the Star Wars 3d would be about on par with that Tron movie, not enough to make me want to go see it in the theater.

However, this weekend I watched the first three Star Wars movies (Episode 1, in 3d now in theater, and Episodes 2 & 3, having watched Episodes 4,5 and 6 a few weeks back) and I've got to say the blu ray picture and sound is really breathtaking!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
Old 02-15-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
d.j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Yea, but they can always do their best 3D conversion for the parts in the trailer!




One of only two 3D movies in theater I've seen since Avatar was Tron:Legacy and I completely agree with your comments. My assumption was that the Star Wars 3d would be about on par with that Tron movie, not enough to make me want to go see it in the theater.

However, this weekend I watched the first three Star Wars movies (Episode 1, in 3d now in theater, and Episodes 2 & 3, having watched Episodes 4,5 and 6 a few weeks back) and I've got to say the blu ray picture and sound is really breathtaking!


I have to say, that I was disapointed with the 3D version - not recomended.


dj
d.j. is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Cam Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Tucson, AZ & Los Angeles,CA, USA
Posts: 2,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Finally saw this tonight in a superb quality XD theater with RealD. I went strictly to check out the effectiveness of the 3D conversion.

I have no criticisms for the PQ that I didn't always have. Those image shortcomings are still quite terrible. That said, the 3D effect was quite impressive; far better than I expected. This clearly is designed to look realistic rather than like a gimmick. There is quite a sophisticated and successful attempt to honor the appropriate depth for a given lens/focal length and proximity of the subject to the camera. Overs (over the shoulders), and close overs were particularly realistic. I dropped my glasses at times to take a look. On these closeups, there is really no 3D processing of the face; it is left sharp, but with the glasses the depth is there in the bg. Well done "realistic" 3D.

Enduring the movie was brutal except for occasional brilliance...like the final light sabre duel.

I haven't watched the movie in its entirety in many years. Interestingly, I was able to follow the convoluted political environment better this time around. It seemed a little too familiar sounding. Trade Federation squables with and defies the Republic, then places trade blockade to strongarm the Republic. One can imagine Iran in the role of the Trade Federation, the UN as the Republic, and the Straits of Hormuz as the blockade point.

IF they do more of the SW saga, Empire has the best chance to really impress due to the quality of the original images/photography. IT MUST, though, be a 4K scan, distribution and projection. That might be quite spectacular for the Hoth battle alone.

The Spiderman 3D trailer looked terrific. I think that these new movies shot 4K or better with the RED 3D rig are going to be very impressive.
Cam Man is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hays, KS
Posts: 1,676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I seen it yesterday and enjoyed seeing Ep 1 again on the big screen. 3D effect was subtle tho as is with most conversions. The pod race scene was one of my favorite scenes as the extra depth was very cool.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reddig is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Pining for the Taiga
Posts: 12,793
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

3D effect was quite impressive; far better than I expected. This clearly is designed to look realistic rather than like a gimmick. There is quite a sophisticated and successful attempt to honor the appropriate depth for a given lens/focal length and proximity of the subject to the camera. Overs (over the shoulders), and close overs were particularly realistic. I dropped my glasses at times to take a look. On these closeups, there is really no 3D processing of the face; it is left sharp, but with the glasses the depth is there in the bg. Well done "realistic" 3D.

This goes to support that there is a huge comfort factor in excellent 3d conversions (as opposed positive parallax vs Pos and neg in real 3D).

Some of my most successful demos to prospective vip type clients consisted on converted material strictly.

There is a huge future ahead for 3d conversions, done proper in post or in devices like the Terry in autopilot.
CINERAMAX is online now  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Member
 
Jetrell69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The ONLY saving grace for this movie on Bluray for me was the corrected aspect ratio. I would have liked to seen it also restored to it's theatrical presentation and not the DVD one.

I cannot see this movie being a good 3D candidate considering how it was originally filmed. Now, as for AOTC & ROTS, they MIGHT fare better as they really are films designed with the least amount of physical backgrounds in mind. I'm just not a fan of CGI movies that look CGI. It takes a lot away from the entire experience.

If you have to see it in 3D, a Budget Theater would be the best way to go.
Jetrell69 is offline  
Old 10-27-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

I seen it yesterday and enjoyed seeing Ep 1 again on the big screen. 3D effect was subtle tho as is with most conversions. The pod race scene was one of my favorite scenes as the extra depth was very cool.

You lost me at "enjoyed seeing Ep. 1."

That's a movie I almost walked out of.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off