Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 96 Old 04-12-2012, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

The hallway cabinet doors were installed today, and the box to close off the front of the projector.

I dont really like the way the bump out in the theater looks. I wanted to make it plain and just painted the wall color to make it disappear as much as possible. Now Im thinking it might look better dressed up with crown moulding and painted the trim color. Im just not sure what to do. I really wish it would of fit in the projection room!

Just seeing that pic of the 'bump' I thought you could build out that rear wall to the same depth as the bump and fill it in with acoustic treatment elements, such as diffusers and absorbers. Might further improve the acoustics in the room. Cover all with fabric in the same color as the room. Just a thought...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 96 Old 04-12-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
^ Good idea!

Chris, those screen shots looks great. Even your black level looks good. Did you get a measurement of the blacks?

David Budo
post #63 of 96 Old 04-12-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 153
If I had your expense account I would have extended the back of the pj booth out into the entrance area as to eliminate having a bump in the theater room. Of course if you did that from the outside of the theater it may look strange having an extended booth before you enter. Just a thought.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #64 of 96 Old 04-12-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

If I had your expense account I would have extended the back of the pj booth out into the entrance area as to eliminate having a bump in the theater room. Of course if you did that from the outside of the theater it may look strange having an extended booth before you enter. Just a thought.

That was my initial thought, but its already a narrow hallway, and the back exterior door is directly across from the equipment room. If it were extended even a couple of inches, the exterior door wouldn't of been able to open all the way, right now it only has about 2" of clearance.
post #65 of 96 Old 04-12-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben Van Duyl View Post

Just seeing that pic of the 'bump' I thought you could build out that rear wall to the same depth as the bump and fill it in with acoustic treatment elements, such as diffusers and absorbers. Might further improve the acoustics in the room. Cover all with fabric in the same color as the room. Just a thought...

Thats a good idea. I need to look into doing something like that. Everything is just very tight. I can't afford to move the seats forward even 6".

I might could just bump out 6" across the entire wall from just above the wainscoting to just below the crown moulding. Its just hard because I don't want it to look like a after thought, which clearly it already does.
post #66 of 96 Old 04-12-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Im not sure.. lol But probably a new speaker system. I had been considering JBL Synthesis but have had a bunch of people recommend Procella and Genelec.

I've heard JBL Synthesis is the way to go if you have the budget. Not a fan of Genelec but I could of just gotten a bad demo experience. Not sure! Heard great things about Procella also. I've yet to hear them but they are on my list of competitors for when I upgrade. Its between Seaton Sound, Procella and Meridian.

What are you currently using?

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #67 of 96 Old 04-12-2012, 11:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Bla, Bla, Bla in the future the go to cinema speaker brand will be quested.
post #68 of 96 Old 04-14-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Chrisx510 ... I happen to be a fan of Meridian speakers and I don't know your room size or seating distance; but, you're dealing with significant differences between what each of these speakers were designed to accomplish. A 1" dome tweeter is not going to compete with the Procella compression driver/wave guide and the Seaton approach. There's a very nice Procella room south of you...you might be able to get something organized with Procella to hear that space (the owner is a very private person and isn't necessarily entertained by a stream of visitors). Alternatively, with a quick trip to Dallas, something could be set up for you there.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #69 of 96 Old 04-14-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I would Wait to hear the Quested LT series as well.... It's coming to Florida, maybe even a floater loaner system.
post #70 of 96 Old 04-22-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That was my initial thought, but its already a narrow hallway, and the back exterior door is directly across from the equipment room. If it were extended even a couple of inches, the exterior door wouldn't of been able to open all the way, right now it only has about 2" of clearance.

I see. Yes that would for sure be a problem.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #71 of 96 Old 04-22-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

Chrisx510 ... I happen to be a fan of Meridian speakers and I don't know your room size or seating distance; but, you're dealing with significant differences between what each of these speakers were designed to accomplish. A 1" dome tweeter is not going to compete with the Procella compression driver/wave guide and the Seaton approach. There's a very nice Procella room south of you...you might be able to get something organized with Procella to hear that space (the owner is a very private person and isn't necessarily entertained by a stream of visitors). Alternatively, with a quick trip to Dallas, something could be set up for you there.

Thanks Dennis! Yes I understand the two difference between the speakers. Not sure what Procella pricing is like but I think Seaton might be more in my budget. The new room size is around 20x15. I plan on going with an acoustical screen this time around, which is why I will probably go with a compression driver.

For those who have heard Seaton and Procella, would you say Seaton would perform just as well in that size room with proper acoustic treatments?

My First Home Theater

post #72 of 96 Old 04-24-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Please, all of you do yourself a favour and check out what Danley Sound Labs has to offer. www.danleysoundlabs.com

I know they look industrial, but if they're going behind a screen it doesn't matter. They also do beautiful custom finishes.

Tom Danley is a genius. He has given new definition to constant directivity and phase coherence. There is no fancy marketing, just solid science, which has turned a lot of heads as of late. Even audiophile heads. It is definitely worth checking out.

Chris, did you happen to get a black level measurement for the Barco?

David Budo
post #73 of 96 Old 04-24-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

+1 on wondering bout black level measurement.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #74 of 96 Old 04-25-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Unfortunately, when the projector was originally setup and color calibrated, he did not measure contrast.

I wish I would have gotten a measurement. I believe its between 2500-3000:1.

I have the most aggressive aperture installed. With a Barco 2K 4000:1 would probably be achievable since the native is around 2000:1.

The 4K, with the current lens, does not quite meet that spec. So if its about 1600:1 native and then roughly doubled with the aperture, I could see 3000:1 being realistic.

The Sony VW1000 full on/off contrast is like 2350:1 with the dynamic iris turned off, and when I directly compared the 2 units they looked very very similar.
post #75 of 96 Old 04-25-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Hey Chris glad to see your install up and running its look-in sweat. I love your theater room. Welcome to the 4k club.
These are serious machines with a list of possible upgrades lurking in the near future. Reminds me of hot rodding a car. Im currently working on getting the iris installed, cant wait.
Here is a pic of mine boasting realD 3D compliments of Peter, cineramax
See what mayer and Peter both started, its catching on. Whose next?

post #76 of 96 Old 04-26-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

Hey Chris glad to see your install up and running its look-in sweat. I love your theater room. Welcome to the 4k club.
These are serious machines with a list of possible upgrades lurking in the near future. Reminds me of hot rodding a car. Im currently working on getting the iris installed, cant wait.
Here is a pic of mine boasting realD 3D compliments of Peter, cineramax
See what mayer and Peter both started, its catching on. Whose next?

Alan,

The install looks great! Looks like the shelf can be adjusted down the road to accommodate future changes! Looks awesome!

Where did you get your port glass from? Did you order a pre made unit, or did you order the raw glass and make your own frame?
post #77 of 96 Old 04-26-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Alan,

The install looks great! Looks like the shelf can be adjusted down the road to accommodate future changes! Looks awesome!

Yes it is adjustable. I hope these things dont get any bigger

Thanks for the compliment!

Quote:

Where did you get your port glass from? Did you order a pre made unit, or did you order the raw glass and make your own frame?

That is work in progress and needs addressing. It is DIY and carries the Home Depot stamp of approval Luckily the Barco's strengths still shine through.
post #78 of 96 Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Chris Im hearing the Laser Retro if all goes well will hit next year. Major improvement in contrast and other benefits. Curious about the speckles.
Save your pennies, oops sorry, dollars

The up coming external GDC IMB looks like a winner as well. We will no longer need the Dimension 3D and it will give us HFR.
Still waiting for more on the Barco IMB no one knew if it was HDCP compliant.
post #79 of 96 Old 05-03-2012, 04:45 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
What is the anticipated contrast improvement from laser retro upgrade?
post #80 of 96 Old 05-04-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Lon I do not think anyone has any hard numbers yet. So far everything shown is proto.
Im guessing for those of us ( non theater ) adding a static iris combined with Laser we should see something over 10k:1 native. I have the JVC pro 4k 10k native and the image is stunning with deep blacks and rich colors cant imagine any better but I will take it if it comes along.
Regarding on/off the visual difference between 10k native and ( lets take extreme marketing numbers) 1mil native is very small if any. We need bigger numbers and the right room to reap the benefits.
post #81 of 96 Old 05-04-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Looks great! How wide is the screen. What do these go for? What are the dimensions of the projector??

Awesome install! Leave it to Alan

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #82 of 96 Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Chris Im hearing the Laser Retro if all goes well will hit next year. Major improvement in contrast and other benefits. Curious about the speckles.
Save your pennies, oops sorry, dollars

The up coming external GDC IMB looks like a winner as well. We will no longer need the Dimension 3D and it will give us HFR.
Still waiting for more on the Barco IMB no one knew if it was HDCP compliant.

Im excited for the laser tech. I hope it becomes a reality soon. And I hope it doesn't cost as much as the projector did! lol

The GDC IMB spec sheet looks awesome. I hope we get some pricing and availability soon. This looks like a must-have piece!
post #83 of 96 Old 05-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Have you folks considered a vibration isolation table ?

http://www.kineticsystems.com

I have bought , setup and used one of these things in school and now at work. If one of these things doesn't solve your problem NOTHING will. We use these things to do IC work.
post #84 of 96 Old 05-04-2012, 08:16 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Lon I do not think anyone has any hard numbers yet. So far everything shown is proto.
Im guessing for those of us ( non theater ) adding a static iris combined with Laser we should see something over 10k:1 native. I have the JVC pro 4k 10k native and the image is stunning with deep blacks and rich colors cant imagine any better but I will take it if it comes along.
Regarding on/off the visual difference between 10k native and ( lets take extreme marketing numbers) 1mil native is very small if any. We need bigger numbers and the right room to reap the benefits.

10K:1 is an enormous improvement.
post #85 of 96 Old 05-05-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
laser dlp will have over 10.000:1 without any iris today.
there is no need for a iris to got this number with a laser.

at least all laser demos have not any iris so full light out and full cr.

may when laser will hit in 1-2 years we will see more than 10K:1.
post #86 of 96 Old 05-05-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Great news about the contrast!

Can we ever expect 0.001 foot lamberts for the blacks? I just want to know if getting the black levels from my Elite plasma will be a possibility with laser fitted Barcos.

David Budo
post #87 of 96 Old 05-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
You guys are killing me with the Barcos. I went to see the Avengers last night with Barco DLP...started thinking that this could very well be the image I'll be seeing in my theater. Exciting!
post #88 of 96 Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post

You guys are killing me with the Barcos. I went to see the Avengers last night with Barco DLP...started thinking that this could very well be the image I'll be seeing in my theater. Exciting!

Seen The Avengers as well for a second time on newly installed Barcos at my local cinema. The movie and the picture quality were fantastic. So much brighter than the previous Christies thats for sure.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #89 of 96 Old 05-10-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Which theater's have the new Barco's?

My First Home Theater

post #90 of 96 Old 05-11-2012, 05:50 AM

Liked: 13
Thanks for sharing your pictures and story. You DCI guys are an inspiration to us all!!
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page