DCI. Here I come... Ready or Not! - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 104 Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

Which theater's have the new Barco's?

I believe Cinemark does

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 06-11-2012, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So amazing!
How much cost a modified barco?

I know there are various series, with different dmd dimensions. There is big difference in cost between the series?
post #93 of 104 Old 06-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Email Peter aka cineramax he can give you all the info you are looking for.
post #94 of 104 Old 11-26-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Hi Chris,

After living with the Barco for a few months now, could you share some insights on you experiences so far.

Any updates on the laser retrofit?

David Budo
post #95 of 104 Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Chris,

I am building a theater and seriously contemplating going the DCI route. Only negative I've heard is that it sometimes doesn't do well with HT content. What's been your experience? Alls well with Blu-Ray? How about DirecTV? Do you use Apple TV?

Thanks for the info,

Picmkr
post #96 of 104 Old 04-12-2013, 08:57 PM
IMMERSION GANGSTA

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 759
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by picmkr View Post

Hi Chris,

I am building a theater and seriously contemplating going the DCI route. Only negative I've heard is that it sometimes doesn't do well with HT content. What's been your experience? Alls well with Blu-Ray? How about DirecTV? Do you use Apple TV?

Thanks for the info,

Picmkr

You will need a scaler with directv with a good one it is great!

Blu-ray is fine, 3d different option the imb route is a pain in the neck the marriage between the doremi and the projector issues can be thron down by outages and network switcher issues.

rAVe Mag Best Audio Demo @ CEDIA 2016 (Yes I take 85% of the credit- MY IMMERSION 2025 BABY- Never haVE taken ANY prisoners in 6 show demos since Stereophile 94.:D) CINERAMAX Social Responsibilty Mission: REPRESENTATIVE CUSTODIAN OF HIGH END IMMERSIVE PRIVATE CINEMAS TO SMPTE AND THE ADVANCED IMAGING SOCIETY.:D
post #97 of 104 Old 03-23-2016, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Hey man how's it been going? Have you upgraded your audio to match the amazing PQ from the Barco?

JBL Pro Cinema/Crown power/Sony SXRD
MANCHESTER UNITED!!
post #98 of 104 Old 03-24-2016, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It had been so long since I subscribed to this thread I had to go back and reread the first post to see what it is about.

My question for you is, have you hooked up a 4k UHD Blu-ray player to it yet?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #99 of 104 Old 03-24-2016, 11:44 AM
IMMERSION GANGSTA

I can answer for Chris that there will be no Barco solution till October when the alchemy hdmi 2.0 sub board is available, then yes fantastic hdr better than the sony 5000 TRUE p3 and a non soft image. As expected with the cr mods that i hope Chris has (latest mods measured 9,200-1 in the lab) don't know about chris'.
Reddig likes this.

rAVe Mag Best Audio Demo @ CEDIA 2016 (Yes I take 85% of the credit- MY IMMERSION 2025 BABY- Never haVE taken ANY prisoners in 6 show demos since Stereophile 94.:D) CINERAMAX Social Responsibilty Mission: REPRESENTATIVE CUSTODIAN OF HIGH END IMMERSIVE PRIVATE CINEMAS TO SMPTE AND THE ADVANCED IMAGING SOCIETY.:D
post #100 of 104 Old 04-03-2016, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead View Post
It had been so long since I subscribed to this thread I had to go back and reread the first post to see what it is about.

My question for you is, have you hooked up a 4k UHD Blu-ray player to it yet?

Yes I have connected the samsung UHD Blu-ray player. The Barco Alchemy is currently only HDMI 1.4a. But it will accept 4K/24P, but only at 8bit 4:4:4 colorspace. It works flawlessly with this setup, but I am missing out on some of the biggest advantages like 10bit - HDR - WCG.

I am also using a Lumen Radiance Pro, which allows me to also have the full Samsung menu, as I can convert the 4K/60 to 4k/30. So I can watch UHD blu-ray or 4K Netflix at 4k/24 or 4K youtube at 4k24 or 4k/30. I have also used the Roku 4 successfully.

I have a Sony 5000ES on order, and am excited to see how it will compare. I did have my Barco modified, but the best I got out of the unit was around 4k:1. I know Alan has a solution now to push these units close to 10K:1.

I love all aspects of the Barco, accept for contrast. That has been the achilles heel to the unit. As far as reliability and upgradeability, I don't believe there is a better option.

I really find myself craving better black levels, even if I have to slightly compromise other aspects of the image. I am also excited about possibly being back to a some what smaller and less noisy unit.

Hopefully the Sony 5000ES will be delivered soon.

Last edited by ccool96; 04-03-2016 at 06:54 PM.
post #101 of 104 Old 04-03-2016, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

How about any future audio upgrade plans?

MANCHESTER UNITED!!

Last edited by Reddig; 04-03-2016 at 06:54 PM.
post #102 of 104 Old 04-03-2016, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
How about any future audio upgrade plans?
Actually yes, I am currently planning for an Atmos setup.

I was about to move forward with JBL Synthesis, but now am looking at the Alcons thats Peter has raved about. But it looks like that would end costing more than I want to invest, since I believe the entire system requires a digital chain. IE. EXPENSIVE processor.

My one hold up, is that I have no interest in buying a $20K+ audio processor, that I feel will quickly be outdated.

So I will most likely do Synthesis Speakers, EQ and new DSP amps, but use a Marantz or Yamaha processor, until Dolby Atmos and DTS X continue to shake out. I would rather replace a $3K processor in a year or two, vs a $20-30K one.

Later down the road, I can easily upgrade to the JBL 75 / Trinnov processor, or something else.
Reddig likes this.
post #103 of 104 Old 04-03-2016, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
Actually yes, I am currently planning for an Atmos setup.

I was about to move forward with JBL Synthesis, but now am looking at the Alcons thats Peter has raved about. But it looks like that would end costing more than I want to invest, since I believe the entire system requires a digital chain. IE. EXPENSIVE processor.

My one hold up, is that I have no interest in buying a $20K+ audio processor, that I feel will quickly be outdated.

So I will most likely do Synthesis Speakers, EQ and new DSP amps, but use a Marantz or Yamaha processor, until Dolby Atmos and DTS X continue to shake out. I would rather replace a $3K processor in a year or two, vs a $20-30K one.

Later down the road, I can easily upgrade to the JBL 75 / Trinnov processor, or something else.
Right on I can definitely understand that. I too, if I had the funds, would love to have a full blown digital Alcons setup. I think you will get a lot of performance from a Synthesis setup with a good SSP and DSP amps.

MANCHESTER UNITED!!
post #104 of 104 Old 04-08-2016, 03:48 PM
IMMERSION GANGSTA

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Right on I can definitely understand that. I too, if I had the funds, would love to have a full blown digital Alcons setup. I think you will get a lot of performance from a Synthesis setup with a good SSP and DSP amps.
Hi Chris I will be texting you tomorrow for something Alan spoke to you about, but hold the horses on the synthesis (trust me), youdefinetely do much closer to alcons with quested instead, If you get the lcr bi amped Walter can calibrate it nearly indistinguishable from the alcons, see what a forum member Rob M in Tampa had to say here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page