31Likes

post #1171 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
Nothing wrong with options. Some live and love just 2ch. Some love. 5.1, etc... It would be sad if no new tech hit home theater, . Figure out what YOU want, get it and leave it for what ever time frame keeps you happy. For some Atmos will be night and day, for others hardly noticed, if at all. No rule states any theater must have it "all" to be enjoyed.

My current setup has been running strong for about 5 years with 7ch and I knew (well, speculated ) Atmos was coming. My previous setup lasted me 13 years, I got Dolby Digital (Denon AVR5600) in 1996 when most folks had still never heard of it. I am speaking primary about AVR/SSP and speaker placement, so obviously I have done some here and there with video, etc, but nothing that required changes to the room. For Atmos, I am going to strip down and start again, and my next setup should keep me happy for many years as well.

I'll just stick with DTS-Master, sorry for voicing out before. Under normal circumstance I'd be following your route
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Nothing wrong with that. But why would you hope that everyone else be stuck with your limitations?

Sorry , I erase all my comments. didn't mean to offend anyone. thanks
post #1173 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that. But why would you hope that everyone else be stuck with your limitations?

Thanks, enjoy life.

Last edited by Deckard97; 06-30-2014 at 10:25 AM.
post #1174 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard97 View Post
I'll just stick with DTS-Master, sorry for voicing out before. Under normal circumstance I'd be following your route
No need to be sorry, I enjoyed your comments and responded because of which.
Deckard97 likes this.
post #1175 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Atmos uses the front wide surround arrays for hard pan throughs and off-screen dialog/effects anchor points so there isn't such a big jump from the screen speakers to the side wall surrounds. It's more than just for reflection points. They're also easier for humans to locate due to our ear/brain correlation that has heightened lateral sensations rather than stuff coming from directly above you.

Just wondering, what home theater equipment have you been using to be such an advocate and enforcer for Dolby Atmos?

Perhaps you should listen to some high end 7.1 systems before you make any comparisons. Just curious what your reference point is?
post #1176 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Just wondering, what home theater equipment have you been using to be such an advocate and enforcer for Dolby Atmos?

Perhaps you should listen to some high end 7.1 systems before you make any comparisons. Just curious what your reference point is?
Atmos in the theater (wow!!)... and from comments by industry insiders who have presumably "rendered" object content for movies and/or heard Atmos for the home and have been equally impressed. When done correctly, Atmos (and object surround in general) is an amazing set of 3D environmental audio tools that can show just how antiquated traditional channel based systems have become.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #1177 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1545 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Quote:
Not offended, merely curious. I can understand not wanting to go beyond 7 speakers. I can't understand hoping others don't have that option. Hence my question.

Sanjay
post #1178 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No need to erase, just explain your opinions. No one will think less of you.

post #1179 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Not offended, merely curious. I can understand not wanting to go beyond 7 speakers. I can't understand hoping others don't have that option. Hence my question.

I rescind my opinions. I made the mistake of speaking my mind....it won't happen again.
post #1180 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
No need to erase, just explain your opinions. No one will think less of you.

Too late, I have no explanations to provide, other than my own ignorance of Atmos. Good luck on your future builds!
post #1181 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I made the mistake of speaking my mind....
Like I said, not a mistake on your part, just curiosity on my part why limiting other people's options was on your mind. You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Sanjay
post #1182 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Like I said, not a mistake on your part, just curiosity on my part why limiting other people's options was on your mind. You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Well, I have a Multiple myeloma and the treatments make me a bit " angry " at times. So I say things which I don't really mean. Which is why I rescinded my comments. That's the only honest answer I can give. I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

Good day
post #1183 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 738
I'm currently building a theater in a new house with a 7.2 system. From what I understand from this thread, I'd need to add 4 additional satellite speakers, on the ceiling, in the corners? Since my room is now internally wired for that 7.2 system with no way of stringing any additional wiring in the walls (the drywall is up and painted), would those additional ATMOS speakers need to be wireless, either RF or bluetooth?
post #1184 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
No need to be sorry, I enjoyed your comments and responded because of which.

Thanks, I feel like I'm on the witness stand here. I can't make anymore posts now. Feeling very sick. Maybe I'll die faster ,anyways I'll avoid debates.

Enjoy thxman!

Last edited by Deckard97; 06-30-2014 at 03:34 PM.
post #1185 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Atmos in the theater (wow!!)... and from comments by industry insiders who have presumably "rendered" object content for movies and/or heard Atmos for the home and have been equally impressed. When done correctly, Atmos (and object surround in general) is an amazing set of 3D environmental audio tools that can show just how antiquated traditional channel based systems have become.

Spoken like a true Dolby employee

Last edited by Deckard97; 06-30-2014 at 12:24 PM.
post #1186 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, I have a Multiple myeloma and the treatments make me a bit " angry " at times. So I say things which I don't really mean. Which is why I rescinded my comments. That's the only honest answer I can give. I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

Good day
Good enough explanation. Good day to you, too.

post #1187 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I hope that satisfies your curiosity.
Completely. Thanx.

Sanjay
post #1188 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When I go to a movie and my jaw drops because of the almost total sonic immersion compared to the very subdued channel based soundtracks I've experienced in the past... I'm going to hope it comes to the home with the same kind of effect.

Yes, it can be that good. Yes, I'm not exaggerating. It takes a lot for me to be impressed with these A/V toys.

Check online to see if an Atmos mixed movie is playing in an Atmos theater in your area... and check it out with an open mind.

post #1189 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
When I go to a movie and my jaw drops because of the almost total sonic immersion compared to the very subdued channel based soundtracks I've experienced in the past... I'm going to hope it comes to the home with the same kind of effect.

Yes, it can be that good. Yes, I'm not exaggerating. It takes a lot for me to be impressed with these A/V toys.

Check online to see if an Atmos mixed movie is playing in an Atmos theater in your area... and check it out with an open mind.

I found 2 locations on the east coast, the NJ one is close enough. I will do my best to check it out, as soon as I can. After doing more research, I can see it will be well worth the price of admission.....I was in the wrong before Dan

I'll get back with some feedback....thanks for sparking my interest!

Bri
post #1190 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
I am not an employee of Dolby (and neither is Mr. Hitchman) and I am more than excited to be able to bring this technology home.

Object based audio is a true revolution in sound, quite different from the channel based approach that pretty much started with 1940's Fantasia and later formats like CinemaScope in the 1950s.

There were some people who felt same way as you do with 7.1 vs. Atmos as with multichannel discrete audio in the mid 90s vs the matrixed formats (Dolby Surround Pro-Logic).

How do you react to people who say "SDTV/DVD is good enough, I don't need HD/Blu-ray"? Believe it or not, I hear that more often than I care to count.
Scott Simonian and kbarnes701 like this.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #1191 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
I am not an employee of Dolby (and neither is Mr. Hitchman) and I am more than excited to be able to bring this technology home.

Object based audio is a true revolution in sound, quite different from the channel based approach that pretty much started with 1940's Fantasia and later formats like CinemaScope in the 1950s.

There were some people who felt same way as you do with 7.1 vs. Atmos as with multichannel discrete audio in the mid 90s vs the matrixed formats (Dolby Surround Pro-Logic).

How do you react to people who say "SDTV/DVD is good enough, I don't need HD/Blu-ray"? Believe it or not, I hear that more often than I care to count.
Ah, yes! Fantasound. The pioneering engineers at Disney invented the first audio "workstation" that could pan sounds. Whatever you think of "Uncle" Walt as a person (what he did during the McCarthy era is almost unforgivable), he was definitely on the bleeding edge of technological innovation.

post #1192 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

My cousin just told me heard the IMAX RPX theater in New Rochelle,NY. He insists that this was a form of atmos....

Is he correct?

thanks
post #1193 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My cousin just told me heard the IMAX RPX theater in New Rochelle,NY. He insists that this was a form of atmos....

Is he correct?

thanks
Nope. IMAX and LieMAX theaters do not have object based Atmos processors. I don't think IMAX partnered with Dolby on their new sound systems. I have no idea why they didn't.
ambesolman likes this.

post #1194 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
RPX (Regal's version of AMC's ETX) and IMAX are 2 different experiences. RPX theaters will have huge screens and often Dolby Atmos sound. But they are not IMAX. There are Regal multiplexes that have both formats.

Quote:
Nope. IMAX and LieMAX theaters do not have object based Atmos processors. I don't think IMAX partnered with Dolby on their new sound systems. I have no idea why they didn't.

IMAX has their own proprietary system. Exept what was once state of the art in the early 90s isn't so impressive these days. When the sound isn't turned up to PAINFUL levels I can easilty localize speakers in an IMAX installation. It's just not enveloping.
Scott Simonian likes this.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #1195 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:

OK, cool- A trip to Jersey is a must this summer. I gotta hear this!

thanks for the reply.
post #1196 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 143
This may sound crazy but i wouldn't be surprised if we see a Blu-ray release of Dark Side of the Moon - in Dolby Atmos.
post #1197 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
This may sound crazy but i wouldn't be surprised if we see a Blu-ray release of Dark Side of the Moon - in Dolby Atmos
That would be fantastic!!! You would need objects a-plenty!!

post #1198 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK, cool- A trip to Jersey is a must this summer. I gotta hear this!

thanks for the reply.
Happy listening! Just make sure that the theater and the movie playing there are both Atmos "products."

post #1199 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 05:48 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Here you are I posted this on an other thread but this is appropriate as well, enjoy.

Dolby Fills In The Blanks On Atmos Surround

San Francisco — Dolby Labs revealed more details about the home-theater version of its Dolby Atmos surround technology, pointing out that Atmos will support as many as 24 speakers on the floor and 10 overhead speakers. 6/30/2014 09:00:00 AM Eastern

San Francisco — Dolby Labs revealed more details about the home-theater version of its Dolby Atmos surround technology, pointing out that Atmos will support as many as 24 speakers on the floor and 10 overhead speakers.
“One of our hardware partners is planning to release an A/V receiver with 32 channels,” said Brett Crockett, Dolby’s sound research director, in a Friday post on the company’s website.
Saying the company is responding to demand for more information, Crockett also revealed that traditional stereo, 5.1-channel and 7.1-channel content played back through an Atmos-enabled home theater will automatically be adapted “to use the full capabilities of your new system, including your overhead speakers, ensuring that you hear realistic and immersive sound.”

Consumers who add speakers with angled, upward-firing height drivers will get the best overhead sound effects with flat, not vaulted, ceilings made of acoustically reflective material, such as drywall, plaster, concrete or wood, Crockett said. Although the technology was designed for rooms with ceiling heights of 8 to 9 feet, Crockett said testing shows users would “still hear incredible Dolby Atmos sound in rooms with ceilings as high as 14 feet, though the effect may become more diffuse in rooms with higher ceilings.”

Recessed lighting fixtures, chandeliers, crown molding, and heating or AC vents in the ceiling “do not noticeably interfere with the Dolby Atmos experience,” he added.

Upward-firing speakers, which fire sound upward to reflect off the ceiling, can be built into traditional front-firing in-room speakers or added to an existing speaker system, the company previously disclosed. Alternately, the upward-firing speakers can be built into standalone modules that consumers would add “on top of your current speakers or on another nearby surface,” said Crockett.

For the best Atmos experience, Dolby recommends four in-ceiling overhead speakers for most homes, “but you can get great sound with just two,” he said.

Crockett also pointed out that Atmos is adaptable to a wide variety of speaker configurations other than the predefined configurations that Dolby licensees have talked up.
“Because Dolby Atmos is new to home theater, we defined a few ‘reference’ speaker configurations to ensure that early customers could have a great experience while having the option to keep most of the equipment they already have,” Crockett said. They include a 5.1.2 configuration, which adds two ceiling or Atmos-enabled in-room speakers to a traditional 5.1 system, and a 7.1.4 configuration, which takes a traditional 7.1 system and adds four ceiling or Atmos-enabled speakers.

However, Crockett noted, “because the Dolby Atmos object-based audio system is so adaptable, you can use many other speaker configurations. No matter what system you build, the Dolby Atmos format and system will adapt itself to output the best audio experience possible.”

The company also explained how Dolby Atmos soundtracks will be made available on Blu-ray discs playable on existing Blu-ray players. “We wanted to ensure that entertainment fans could get Dolby Atmos movies in the same ways they get movies now, on Blu-ray Disc or through streaming video services,” Crockett said. “We invented new scalable algorithms and extensions to Dolby TrueHD, our Blu-ray format, and Dolby Digital Plus, which is used by leading streaming video providers. Both formats now support Dolby Atmos sound, meaning that you’ll be able to play Dolby Atmos movies from your Blu-ray player or through your favorite streaming service.”
Any Blu-ray player that conforms to the Blu-ray specification can play a Dolby Atmos movie without a firmware update, he said, as long as the player’s HDMI audio output is set to audio bitstream output mode.
There’s no need to buy new HDMI cables, he added.

Last week, multiple audio suppliers announced plans for Dolby Atmos-decoding A/V receivers and preamp processors, but Dolby initially disclosed limited information about how the technology would work in the home
post #1200 of 1318 Old 06-30-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Here you are I posted this on an other thread but this is appropriate as well, enjoy.

Dolby Fills In The Blanks On Atmos Surround

San Francisco — Dolby Labs revealed more details about the home-theater version of its Dolby Atmos surround technology, pointing out that Atmos will support as many as 24 speakers on the floor and 10 overhead speakers. 6/30/2014 09:00:00 AM Eastern

San Francisco — Dolby Labs revealed more details about the home-theater version of its Dolby Atmos surround technology, pointing out that Atmos will support as many as 24 speakers on the floor and 10 overhead speakers.
“One of our hardware partners is planning to release an A/V receiver with 32 channels,” said Brett Crockett, Dolby’s sound research director, in a Friday post on the company’s website.
Saying the company is responding to demand for more information, Crockett also revealed that traditional stereo, 5.1-channel and 7.1-channel content played back through an Atmos-enabled home theater will automatically be adapted “to use the full capabilities of your new system, including your overhead speakers, ensuring that you hear realistic and immersive sound.”

Consumers who add speakers with angled, upward-firing height drivers will get the best overhead sound effects with flat, not vaulted, ceilings made of acoustically reflective material, such as drywall, plaster, concrete or wood, Crockett said. Although the technology was designed for rooms with ceiling heights of 8 to 9 feet, Crockett said testing shows users would “still hear incredible Dolby Atmos sound in rooms with ceilings as high as 14 feet, though the effect may become more diffuse in rooms with higher ceilings.”

Recessed lighting fixtures, chandeliers, crown molding, and heating or AC vents in the ceiling “do not noticeably interfere with the Dolby Atmos experience,” he added.

Upward-firing speakers, which fire sound upward to reflect off the ceiling, can be built into traditional front-firing in-room speakers or added to an existing speaker system, the company previously disclosed. Alternately, the upward-firing speakers can be built into standalone modules that consumers would add “on top of your current speakers or on another nearby surface,” said Crockett.

For the best Atmos experience, Dolby recommends four in-ceiling overhead speakers for most homes, “but you can get great sound with just two,” he said.

Crockett also pointed out that Atmos is adaptable to a wide variety of speaker configurations other than the predefined configurations that Dolby licensees have talked up.
“Because Dolby Atmos is new to home theater, we defined a few ‘reference’ speaker configurations to ensure that early customers could have a great experience while having the option to keep most of the equipment they already have,” Crockett said. They include a 5.1.2 configuration, which adds two ceiling or Atmos-enabled in-room speakers to a traditional 5.1 system, and a 7.1.4 configuration, which takes a traditional 7.1 system and adds four ceiling or Atmos-enabled speakers.

However, Crockett noted, “because the Dolby Atmos object-based audio system is so adaptable, you can use many other speaker configurations. No matter what system you build, the Dolby Atmos format and system will adapt itself to output the best audio experience possible.”

The company also explained how Dolby Atmos soundtracks will be made available on Blu-ray discs playable on existing Blu-ray players. “We wanted to ensure that entertainment fans could get Dolby Atmos movies in the same ways they get movies now, on Blu-ray Disc or through streaming video services,” Crockett said. “We invented new scalable algorithms and extensions to Dolby TrueHD, our Blu-ray format, and Dolby Digital Plus, which is used by leading streaming video providers. Both formats now support Dolby Atmos sound, meaning that you’ll be able to play Dolby Atmos movies from your Blu-ray player or through your favorite streaming service.”
Any Blu-ray player that conforms to the Blu-ray specification can play a Dolby Atmos movie without a firmware update, he said, as long as the player’s HDMI audio output is set to audio bitstream output mode.
There’s no need to buy new HDMI cables, he added.

Last week, multiple audio suppliers announced plans for Dolby Atmos-decoding A/V receivers and preamp processors, but Dolby initially disclosed limited information about how the technology would work in the home
Thanks for the summation, but we read most of the info. on Friday.

Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page