Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #1201 of 1276 Old 07-03-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was thinking about adding a pair of in-ceiling Polk Vanishing Series LS speakers http://www.polkaudio.com/products/ho...ter/in-ceiling for a Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 system in the near future and was wondering if the pair of ceiling speakers should be installed directly above the listeners or in the midway point of the screen and audience. Searching these diagrams I found that it appears that if there is 2 pairs (4 speakers) they go above the front left and right and the rear left and right, but with just the pair should they go either above the side surround speakers above the audience/sofa (I'm leaning this way, with the sound coming from above) or the midway point (between the screen and the audience/sofa, above and forward of the audience) where the sound would come from if the bounce speakers where used instead of the in-ceiling speakers, but not sure. Anyone have any more detailed and correct documentation?
http://res.cloudinary.com/hrscywv4p/...kikndjyggr.jpg

http://res.cloudinary.com/hrscywv4p/...saxdqywjuh.jpg

Last edited by H8nXTC; 07-03-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1276 Old 07-03-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC View Post
I was thinking about adding a pair of in-ceiling Polk Vanishing Series LS speakers http://www.polkaudio.com/products/ho...ter/in-ceiling for a Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 system in the near future and was wondering if the pair of ceiling speakers should be installed directly above the listeners or in the midway point of the screen and audience. Searching these diagrams I found that it appears that if there is 2 pairs (4 speakers) they go above the front left and right and the rear left and right, but with just the pair should they go either above the side surround speakers above the audience/sofa (I'm leaning this way, with the sound coming from above) or the midway point (between the screen and the audience/sofa, above and forward of the audience) where the sound would come from if the bounce speakers where used instead of the in-ceiling speakers, but not sure. Anyone have any more detailed and correct documentation?
http://res.cloudinary.com/hrscywv4p/...kikndjyggr.jpg

http://res.cloudinary.com/hrscywv4p/...saxdqywjuh.jpg
You really want a minimum of four ceiling speakers, but they do not go right above the fronts and rears. They're out in the room a bit more. I would wait a little bit because Atmos compatible speakers (and I don't mean the compromised upward firing variety) will start to trickle out here pretty soon. See what CEDIA brings before jumping into the deep end without first checking to see if there's any water in the pool.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #1203 of 1276 Old 07-03-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Wonder what Klipsch Pro Speakers are used overhead in Dolby Atmos Theaters?
post #1204 of 1276 Old 07-03-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post
Wonder what Klipsch Pro Speakers are used overhead in Dolby Atmos Theaters?
Wide dispersal VBAT surrounds. Looks like a pseudo bipolar tweeter configuration.

http://www.klipsch.com/vbat

post #1205 of 1276 Old 07-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Nearly almost like my Emotiva ERD surrounds.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #1206 of 1276 Old 07-03-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Nearly almost like my Emotiva ERD surrounds.

Are those tweeters wired in phase or out of phase? The VBAT's, I believe, are bipolar and in-phase.

post #1207 of 1276 Old 07-03-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
You really want a minimum of four ceiling speakers, but they do not go right above the fronts and rears. They're out in the room a bit more. I would wait a little bit because Atmos compatible speakers (and I don't mean the compromised upward firing variety) will start to trickle out here pretty soon. See what CEDIA brings before jumping into the deep end without first checking to see if there's any water in the pool.
OK, but if you can only install 1 pair of ceiling speakers, then? I read on the speaker manual that they suggest at least 2' distance from the wall. The upcoming $1,700 Onkyo TX-NR1030 receiver can only do 1 pair of ceiling speakers with a 7.1 system. The TX-NR3030 can do 2 pair but also costs about $700 more (plus $400-600 for another pair of 700-LS ceiling speakers is probably more than I or most others would be willing to spend for the additional pair of ceiling speakers). I'm ONLY interested in considering 1 pair of ceiling speakers additional.

Last edited by H8nXTC; 07-03-2014 at 11:44 AM.
post #1208 of 1276 Old 07-03-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

That would have been my guess; how do you KNOW this, personal observation?

Those might work well with vaulted ceilings...

Quote:
Wide dispersal VBAT surrounds. Looks like a pseudo bipolar tweeter configuration.

http://www.klipsch.com/vbat
post #1209 of 1276 Old 07-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Are those tweeters wired in phase or out of phase? The VBAT's, I believe, are bipolar and in-phase.
Both, actually. There are toggles on the back near the posts that allows to switch one or both tweeters to be in or out of phase with the midbass.

Lol if one really wanted to you could set both tweeters to be out of phase. Probably with ... odd results. Hmmm.....

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #1210 of 1276 Old 07-03-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That would have been my guess; how do you KNOW this, personal observation?

Those might work well with vaulted ceilings...
Making a best guess since they don't list other surrounds that would easily mount on the walls or ceilings. From their web page:

Virtual Boundary Array Technology (VBAT) Cinema Surround speakers utilize a pair of patented skewed horns for an extremely wide dispersion pattern-perfect as a sound wall for the latest digital sound formats such as Dolby Atmos™.

post #1211 of 1276 Old 07-03-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, sir, guessed that & read that before I posted the question.

Thank you for your answer!

Anyone KNOW!?

Last edited by SanchoPanza; 07-03-2014 at 03:29 PM.
post #1212 of 1276 Old 07-03-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 1239
Quote:
Yes, sir, guessed that & read that before I posted the question.

Anyone KNOW!?
The current information is that the Atmos-enabled modules will work with regular (not vaulted) ceilings. This info is from Andrew Jones, the renowned speaker designer who has designed Pioneer's Atmos modules. If you have vaulted ceilings you will need real speakers up there.
post #1213 of 1276 Old 07-03-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Read that already, friend; but, that was not the answer to my question.
post #1214 of 1276 Old 07-03-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 1239
Quote:
Read that already, friend; but, that was not the answer to my question.
Ah - sorry - I see it now. And have no idea, unfortunately. I misread your earlier post, sorry.
post #1215 of 1276 Old 07-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have a small apt in NYC. I wonder if there will be small Atmos speaker packages.
Right now I have (don't laugh!) the energy classic 5.1 system. I love it and those little guys pack a punch! If I don't plan to move I guess I could do 5.1.2 w/ the up firing speakers in the future. I know it's not ideal but what alternative do I have!
Atmos is not kind to those with small spaces.
post #1216 of 1276 Old 07-03-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Ah - sorry - I see it now. And have no idea, unfortunately. I misread your earlier post, sorry.
Oh, sir, but you DO have a VALID point; may be in vain to try them from the ceiling...

And Thank You for your answer!

Last edited by SanchoPanza; 07-03-2014 at 03:29 PM.
post #1217 of 1276 Old 07-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Is anybody else struggling to decide if they want 7.1.2 or 7.1.4? Part of me thinks that 7.1.2 would be ideal because you'd have the ceiling speakers right above you. In 7.1.4, they'd be spread out around you. Now, perhaps 7.1.2 could be too easy to localize the speakers but 7.1.4 could diminish the sense of something being directly overhead. My rear speakers, for example are currently at the top of the rear wall, in a .4 setup, the rear portion of the ceiling speakers would not be too off-axis from the rear speakers. The perceived spatial difference could be negligible.
post #1218 of 1276 Old 07-07-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Is anybody else struggling to decide if they want 7.1.2 or 7.1.4? Part of me thinks that 7.1.2 would be ideal because you'd have the ceiling speakers right above you. In 7.1.4, they'd be spread out around you. Now, perhaps 7.1.2 could be too easy to localize the speakers but 7.1.4 could diminish the sense of something being directly overhead. My rear speakers, for example are currently at the top of the rear wall, in a .4 setup, the rear portion of the ceiling speakers would not be too off-axis from the rear speakers. The perceived spatial difference could be negligible.
I'd take the four ceiling speaker approach in small to medium sized rooms. They're individual "channels" of overhead sound, they aren't duplicated front and back. If a movie like Transformers or The Hobbit is your thing then you want to be able to recreate movement or panning of sounds overhead. With only one pair of overheads, you cannot recreate that sensation very well.

post #1219 of 1276 Old 07-07-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Part of me thinks that 7.1.2 would be ideal because you'd have the ceiling speakers right above you.
True, if you want to hear sounds right above you, place a pair of speakers right above you. However, the downside to a single pair is that you can only get left vs right movement overhead, not front to back. For that, you need two pairs, once slightly forward of your listening position and one slightly rearward of your listening position.
Quote:
My rear speakers, for example are currently at the top of the rear wall, in a .4 setup, the rear portion of the ceiling speakers would not be too off-axis from the rear speakers. The perceived spatial difference could be negligible.
That's not a good, even though they'll be getting different signals, it will still sound like it's coming from the same direction. How high are your ears off the floor when seated (36", 42"?), how high is your ceiling, and how far behind you is your back wall?

Sanjay
post #1220 of 1276 Old 07-07-2014, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Overheads

I think a set of 4 NHT ic-4's for the overhead channels would work very well with 3 tweeter array in each.
post #1221 of 1276 Old 07-07-2014, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37

why or why not would 4 of these in an overhead square of "good " spacing be OK?
I can see that relying on reflectivity from the horns would contribute to "sonicly directive confusion" in as much as the object is have them NOT be so close to the walls as to interfere with sound from the surrounds, rear or side.

that's why it seems co-axe's of a direct nondispersive approach may be more effective

KLH C-180B Indoor/Outdoor 170 Watt Dual Woofer 3-Way Speakers

DescriptionWitness theater-like audio quality while watching your favorite movies within your house with the KLH C-180B speaker system. The 3-Way construction of this KLH stereo speaker is responsible for delivering sharp sound at wider range of frequencies. This KLH home theater speaker features a peak power handling of 170 Watt reproducing louder bass. The 0.63 inch tweeter in this KLH stereo speaker produces higher frequency sound with great clarity. The KLH C-180B is equipped with 5.63 inch of woofer for delivering low frequencies with minimum distortion. You can mount this KLH home theater speaker on your wall or simply keep it on your table either vertically, horizontally or free standing

<div id="buttons">

THE BIG ROOM: Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS3 slim Panny BD 220
Denon X4000 and Emotiva UPA7 for 9.2
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 C, RB 51's, FW's , RS3II SBL/R, RC3II, SL/R, SLX-FH's
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP

Last edited by asarose247; 07-07-2014 at 04:56 PM. Reason: good pictures/info
post #1222 of 1276 Old 07-07-2014, 04:42 PM
Bass Enabler

Definitely! wrt use of coax speakers, Will.

These types of speakers splash sound all over. Whether or not that is a goal or if it works well within the intended environment is up to speculation.

You certainly wouldn't want to use multi-polar speakers in a well treated room. Ivan's room, for example.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #1223 of 1276 Old 07-07-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
why or why not would 4 of these in an overhead square of "good " spacing be OK?
It won't help anchor sounds above you by bouncing them off the side walls.

Sanjay
post #1224 of 1276 Old 07-07-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I think some folks are jumping the gun here proposing existing ceiling speaker options (esp ones that don't have the correct dispersion pattern) before any official Atmos certified speakers have been released or formally announced. I'd imagine within a few weeks we'll start to see solid info on what exactly various manufacturers are going to be releasing for Atmos. Certainly by the the time CEDIA rolls around we'll have a pretty decent idea.
Dan Hitchman likes this.

post #1225 of 1276 Old 07-07-2014, 05:29 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Yes I am holding to decide what will be the next move!
post #1226 of 1276 Old 07-07-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 62
As we get further along, photos showing our speaker layouts with user comment.
post #1227 of 1276 Old 07-07-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Yes I am holding to decide what will be the next move!
Thank you both, Scott and Sanjay and others for sensible input such as,

SLOW DOWN TURBO.

this will me give a few more months to try and budget for an E-Ticket to Audio Nirvana . . .

I just figured out that I can take the 2 SLX out of the man-cave to have 4 for the tops, IF APPROPRIATE, and
JEESH, Give it a rest.

thank you

post #1228 of 1276 Old 07-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I don't see how Dolby could recommend one type of speaker that's going to work "the best" for every theater or preference. It's just going to be like the di-pole vs bi-pole vs-direct radiating argument all over again. Granted, a co-ax in-ceiling speaker will probably work "best", but that's not going to be feasible or ideal in every situation.
post #1229 of 1276 Old 07-07-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
I don't see how Dolby could recommend one type of speaker that's going to work "the best" for every theater or preference. It's just going to be like the di-pole vs bi-pole vs-direct radiating argument all over again. Granted, a co-ax in-ceiling speaker will probably work "best", but that's not going to be feasible or ideal in every situation.
I think they are probably more likely to to specify what types won't work well generally, say ones with incorrect dispersion patterns to be able render Atmos effects correctly. I can see it being more like a certification that technically certain speakers/designs meet the criteria for Atmos reproduction, but it's going to be up to individual or installer to work out which particular speakers and layout work best in a particular room.

post #1230 of 1276 Old 07-07-2014, 06:56 PM

now its all semantics

there may be a range of characteristics that will deem a speaker or speakers "suitable" within a range of variously configured /suitable for home HT applications to include minimally ,FR, Dispersion characteristics, power handling, etc.
Hopefully a minimally compromised chip/algorithm will do the wrap up, which if along with Audyssey, should be able to give optimally what we want.

Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page