Dolby Atmos Theatre System - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1261 of 1281 Old 07-11-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
They like object audio better, so do Hollywood studios. Auro3D is already outdated technology. And to me (and others) it doesn't sound as good.
Auro3D has added objects via MDA...

So now, like Atmos, it is a hybrid channel + object format.

For our company, it was going to be prohibitively expensive to install Auro... in addition to lowering our current surrounds to add the height layer, the front height requirement would have involved redoing the entire front wall... which also meant lowering our main LCR..
FilmMixer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1262 of 1281 Old 07-11-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
Auro3D has added objects via MDA...

So now, like Atmos, it is a hybrid channel + object format.

For our company, it was going to be prohibitively expensive to install Auro... in addition to lowering our current surrounds to add the height layer, the front height requirement would have involved redoing the entire front wall... which also meant lowering our main LCR..
You're right, Barco signed up to go with the DTS MDA object format. I should have clarified that Auro3D as a channel plus matrix post processing format is long in the tooth.

It may be that Auro is being withheld from the consumer market to go with DTS-UHD... since it seems to be DTS MDA in a consumer "disguise."

It will be interesting to see what DTS has up its sleeves.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #1263 of 1281 Old 07-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 13,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Yeah how bout that, Dan.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is online now  
post #1264 of 1281 Old 07-11-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
You're right, Barco signed up to go with the DTS MDA object format. I should have clarified that Auro3D as a channel plus matrix post processing format is long in the tooth.

It may be that Auro is being withheld from the consumer market to go with DTS-UHD... since it seems to be DTS MDA in a consumer "disguise."

It will be interesting to see what DTS has up its sleeves.
The whole point of Auro 3D from the inception is that they can wrap their 11.1/13.1 in a 5.1/7.1 payload that was always backwards compatible..

Not sure why it hasn't come to market up until now with Datasat....
FilmMixer is offline  
post #1265 of 1281 Old 07-13-2014, 06:57 AM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Auro 3d, atmos dts uhd
wse is offline  
post #1266 of 1281 Old 07-13-2014, 07:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Orbitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>sdurani</strong> <a href="/forum/post/21943629"><img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" style=""></a><br><br>
Similar, to the extent that they both use object-based mixing and rendering to a large number of speakers. But then SRS had a similar proposal, as did DTS (which just bought SRS). Looks like everyone was headed in that direction anyway.</div>
</div>
<br>
Very excited about this, which has indeed been a long time in the coming and with some very similar ideas which have yet to come to market.<br><br>
One of the impediments to past efforts (i.e. Iosono, etc) was the cost and construction outlay...<br><br>
My understanding is that Dolby has a great hardware "parnter" and a unique buisness model to help speed up the installation of Atmos systems in verues fairly quickly... and that at least one national theater chain already has a head start on adopting the technology sooner rather than later.<br><br>
As others have stated, this isn't DSX or PLIIz... it is an entirely new way of <i>creating content</i> that can then be played back in a variety of environment regardless of how many physical transducers the space may or may not contain..<br><br>
More than 7.1 (or even 6.1) this is the first technology that I am truly jonseing to get my hands on ASAP.. <img alt="" class="inlineimg" src="http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/smilies/cool.gif" style="border:0px solid;" title="Cool">
So close, you can almost taste it.
Orbitron is online now  
post #1267 of 1281 Old 07-13-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SoundChex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA, west coast
Posts: 2,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
The whole point of Auro 3D from the inception is that they can wrap their 11.1/13.1 in a 5.1/7.1 payload that was always backwards compatible..

Not sure why it hasn't come to market up until now with Datasat....
If I'm not mistaken, some CEM products (e.g., Krell Foundation) use an all-in-one chip from Cirrus Logic to perform "all(?)" decode and post-processing of Dolby, DTS|SRS, MPEG, and THX audio IP up to and including Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HDMaster Audio™--see Cirrus Logic CS4970x4 Data Sheet page 1 (link).

My uninformed guess is that the anticipated Cirrus Logic chip that delivers DTS-UHD functionality will be a 'replacement all-in-one product' which adds both Auro-3D and DTS-UHD to the existing feature set . . . which suggests that we might have to wait for mass market CEM announcements of products containing one or both codecs "on the same day".
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

SoundChex is online now  
post #1268 of 1281 Old 07-13-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post
If I'm not mistaken, some CEM products (e.g., Krell Foundation) use an all-in-one chip from Cirrus Logic to perform "all(?)" decode and post-processing of Dolby, DTS|SRS, MPEG, and THX audio IP up to and including Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HDMaster Audio™--see Cirrus Logic CS4970x4 Data Sheet page 1 (link).

My uninformed guess is that the anticipated Cirrus Logic chip that delivers DTS-UHD functionality will be a 'replacement all-in-one product' which adds both Auro-3D and DTS-UHD to the existing feature set . . . which suggests that we might have to wait for mass market CEM announcements of products containing one or both codecs "on the same day".
_
If Auro insists on a speaker layout like their theater designs (and comes to market) and then Dolby has their own... it's going to confuse the heck out of some parts of the consumer base. Look at the befuddlement that's happening with only Atmos right now.

To me, I think it would be best if Auro bowed out if it's not going to be just an optional metadata-infused object positional/mapping configuration for DTS-UHD and its object approach (like Atmos). Traditional Auro3D is not object based and in my experience... inferior sounding.

If Barco is going to compete against its own partner and come out with basic Auro3D on top of DTS-UHD and Dolby Atmos... argh!! It's going to be a mess. Compromises galore because you'll be asking these already taxed chips to do three different, computationally complex codecs. Then some discs will have Auro, some DTS-UHD, some Atmos.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 07-13-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #1269 of 1281 Old 07-13-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SoundChex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA, west coast
Posts: 2,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
If Auro insists on a speaker layout like their theater designs (and comes to market) and then Dolby has their own... it's going to confuse the heck out of some parts of the consumer base. Look at the befuddlement that's happening with only Atmos right now.
Actually, it looks to me that installing a Front Height Left|Right (FHL|FHR) speaker pair plus a Rear Height Left|Right (RHL|RHR) speaker pair and configuring the AVR to use them as the Height1 and Height2 speaker pairs in an Atmos 5.1.4 configuration would also produce a speaker layout correctly structured for Auro-3D 9.1. (Looking at the user manual for the Yamaha RX-A2040|RX-A3040, that seems to be the only Atmos speaker configuration offered...?!)


[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

SoundChex is online now  
post #1270 of 1281 Old 07-13-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 18,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post
Actually, it looks to me that installing a Front Height Left|Right (FHL|FHR) speaker pair plus a Rear Height Left|Right (RHL|RHR) speaker pair and configuring the AVR to use them as the Height1 and Height2 speaker pairs in an Atmos 5.1.4 configuration would also produce a speaker layout correctly structured for Auro-3D 9.1.
According to the Datasat guide to Auro speaker placement, the surround heights should go above the side speakers. For larger rooms with 7.1 layouts, a second pair of surround heights can be added above the rear speakers. But that wouldn't be the first choice for surround heights in an Auro system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post
(Looking at the user manual for the Yamaha RX-A2040|RX-A3040, that seems to be the only Atmos speaker configuration offered...?!)
That would be at odds with manufacturers like Denon who say that those front/rear heights are the only ones not used with Atmos.

Sanjay
sdurani is online now  
post #1271 of 1281 Old 07-13-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post
(Looking at the user manual for the Yamaha RX-A2040|RX-A3040, that seems to be the only Atmos speaker configuration offered...?!)
I think it's safe to say that the Yamaha manual will be updated when they add Atmos.

I don't think what it says now is any indication of how it will work once upgraded... the manual is dated early June 2014...

And to be clear to other readers, that illustration isn't from the Yamaha manual.

Last edited by FilmMixer; 07-13-2014 at 11:37 AM.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #1272 of 1281 Old 07-13-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
According to the Datasat guide to Auro speaker placement, the surround heights should go above the side speakers. For larger rooms with 7.1 layouts, a second pair of surround heights can be added above the rear speakers.
Maybe Auro t'home could do like a cinema, where the heights are presented on side wall arrays. So run the Auro side height channels to the side pairs of height speakers, and the second pair of surround channels can just feed the rear pair. Problem solved?
Roger Dressler is online now  
post #1273 of 1281 Old 07-13-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 18,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Maybe Auro t'home could do like a cinema, where the heights are presented on side wall arrays. So run the Auro side height channels to the side pairs of height speakers, and the second pair of surround channels can just feed the rear pair. Problem solved?
I think they already do something like that. If you have a 7.1 base layer, the 2 surround-height channels will be fed to a pair of speakers above your surrounds (side walls). There is an option to add a second pair of height speakers, which would go above your surround-backs (rear wall), but they will still be fed the same 2 surround-height channels.

Soundchex mentioned that a single pair of speakers above the surround-backs, as shown in the Yamaha manual, could satisfy the Auro layout. I was pointing out that the back wall wouldn't be their first choice for surround height location, though it would work in addition to surround heights already on the side walls.

Sanjay
sdurani is online now  
post #1274 of 1281 Old 07-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Member
 
Bumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just (pre) ordered the avr-x5200w with an option to change it when the 7200 model hits the market. So Denon will replace my current Onkyo NR5009 because Onkyo dropped Audyssey!

Couple of questions and hopefully I can find some answers here:

- I will change my current 9.2 setup to 7.2.4 thus putting my front Heights on the ceiling while adding another pair (heigt 2) to get the 4 ceiling speakers. -> Would it be possible to drive Atmos over a DTS movie like PLIIz can be combined with DTS? Most of my movies are in DTS format and I would hate to fall back to NEO:X if it only handles 9.2 again with the Height 1 speakers in the wrong position.

- What is my Darbee Darblet going to do on this HDMI 2.0 output? I assume it would work but I read issues on backward compatibilities...

Can't wait to find out
Bumper is offline  
post #1275 of 1281 Old 07-16-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 18,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
Couple of questions and hopefully I can find some answers here:
This is the theatrical Atmos thread. You'd probably get better answers in the home Atmos thread:

The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version)

Sanjay
sdurani is online now  
post #1276 of 1281 Old 07-16-2014, 12:00 PM
Member
 
Bumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
This is the theatrical Atmos thread. You'd probably get better answers in the home Atmos thread:

The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version)
I will move my post there. Thnx
Bumper is offline  
post #1277 of 1281 Old 07-30-2014, 04:47 AM
Member
 
kenoh89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want A/V manufactures to give us more then ceiling speakers, I want more localized speakers on the ground as well! Why not give us options, like 7.2.4, 9.2.4, 13.2.2, 16.2.4, 22.2.4 all the way up to the full blown 34 channels! There be more options on the market and better prices too! Or should I say, more flexible prices...
kenoh89 is offline  
post #1278 of 1281 Old 07-30-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SanchoPanza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beauvoir, Mississippi
Posts: 2,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 442
I want 24.2.10

Or bare minimum

13.2.6
SanchoPanza is offline  
post #1279 of 1281 Old 07-30-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PeterTHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
You're right, Barco signed up to go with the DTS MDA object format. I should have clarified that Auro3D as a channel plus matrix post processing format is long in the tooth.

It may be that Auro is being withheld from the consumer market to go with DTS-UHD... since it seems to be DTS MDA in a consumer "disguise."

It will be interesting to see what DTS has up its sleeves.
If it's typical DTS they see what Dolby's doing, duplicate it, and add something on top so they can claim to go to "11".

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
PeterTHX is offline  
post #1280 of 1281 Old 07-30-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North TX
Posts: 1,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I would like to go 14.2.6 (5 across the front L, LC, C, RC, R) as in my avatar, but realizing that I will most likely end up with 9.2.4. So happy to see Atmos coming, but worried it may have been “rushed.”
thxman is offline  
post #1281 of 1281 Old 07-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Senior Member
 
erwinfrombelgium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Flanders, Belgium
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoh89 View Post
I want A/V manufactures to give us more then ceiling speakers, I want more localized speakers on the ground as well! Why not give us options, like 7.2.4, 9.2.4, 13.2.2, 16.2.4, 22.2.4 all the way up to the full blown 34 channels! There be more options on the market and better prices too! Or should I say, more flexible prices...
Unless you are a sheik with 40 kids, hence needing a very, very large HT, 12 "ground" speakers is all it takes to fulfill the Atmos cinematic guideline that the horizontal angle between speakers should be no more than 30°. That's 3 on each wall. The position of the Tops relates to the side surrounds, hence there are 6 tops. 4 subs is optimal, so 12.4.6 is all you need for a standard sized HT.

And yet... in my example there are 3 rear channels. Do you really think you would hear the difference if only 2 were used there, in anything but a very wide room?

Building a HT with 7.2.4 layout and SEOS-24 LCR.
erwinfrombelgium is online now  
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off