Old 08-24-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimFrost View Post
I know I’m a bit late in this but Peter, you’ve erroneously noted that Atmos is different to Fantasound - I would suggest it is its direct predecessor.

Far from being a multichannel linear system with tracks attached to specific speaker positions in the theatre, the Fantasound audio was recorded optically in 6 discrete channels of instrument groups none of which were allocated to a position in the theatre – you could in fact call them objects (sounding familiar?). Along with these sound objects track, was a separate control track that determined, within the playback system, both the level and the placement of the sound. Isn't that what Atmos achieves?
The only real difference between Fantasound and Atmos is that the former used the newly developed (in 1941) ‘panpots’ which were controlled by geared motors, and Dolby have the advantage of a completely digital chain.
Seems Disney (and Stokowski) were ahead of the game by 60 years , which considering commercial film sound is under 90 years old – is not bad.

Interesting, I've read so many conflicting reports on what Fantasound had/didn't have/setup etc. I'm still not 100% sure how it really worked.

True that it was way ahead of it's time, which really sad when you think of all the potential films it could have been used with until surround was relaunched in the 50s with Cinerama and 'Scope.

You forgot another advantage Atmos has over Fantasound: being used in more than one film

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 2
For Dolby Atmos "Artcoustic" with SL Spitfire Series ROCKS THE ROOM!! WOOOW

130db.....

Beats Klipsch and all of those.

The good thing is that to drive these speakers you don't need to spend thousands in Amplification because the speaker is very sensitive.
Having a 300w/channel Amp with separated Processor or a good AV Receiver won't make much difference.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2552 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
- What is my Darbee Darblet going to do on this HDMI 2.0 output? I assume it would work but I read issues on backward compatibilities...

Can't wait to find out
My Darbee Darblet works just fine with my Denon 5200.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
My Darbee Darblet works just fine with my Denon 5200.
Completely forgot I posted this queustion. That's probably why I didn't mention it anymore. Mine obviously also works since I got my unit mid september.

Just got word from my dealer that the TX-NR3030 arrived. He is testing it this evening. Still waiting for Onkyo to arrive at my place to come demo the 3030 against the 5200 and prove that the Onkyo can compete. Can't wait
rmerlano likes this.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:44 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
I will need to figure out where to place 4 Atoms in ceiling speakers within the next few months. I'm doing a 7.2.4 system. Looks like I'm going to use the Hsu in wall speakers at this point. From the diagrams I have seen, it looks like the front 2 are at the same width but a few feet in front of the main l/r and the rears a rat the same with as the sides but between the sides and rears. Does anyone know if that is right? I am having a house built and HAVE to use their contractor to install the speakers. Won't be doing Atmos right away, will be down the road. Any help is appreciated

Here you go

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dol...-4-setups.html

ATMOS seems to be very forgiving
Old 10-21-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
I am just beginning to look into Atmos. Currently I have a 5.2 setup.
My room doesn't allow for rears, but I could put in 4 ceiling speakers to accommodate a 5.2.4 if I went to a Atmos receiver.

Current Setup
Fronts Axiom M60's
Center Axiom VP180
Surrounds Axiom QS8's (left and right of couch about 12 feet from front of room, no wall behind me, opens up to kitchen)
Subs Dual SVS PC13 Ultra (Front left and right corner)

Some beginner questions.

1. First, for those who currently have Atmos installed at home, is the improvement that noticable?

2. What will a receiver do with non atmos encoded blu rays. Will is just play sound in the normal 5.1 setup and the ceiling speakers will be ignored, OR will it re-direct sounds so the surround sounds get split up between the surrounds and the Atmos in ceiling speakers?

3. If I install 4 ceiling speakers, from the diagram above at Dolby, it looks like you should install them relatively close to the rear surround speakers...a couple in front of a couch and a couple behind a couch (which BTW is my setup...I have 1 listening position w/ a couch...by surrounds are to the left / right of the couch).

I thought I seen a diagram a while ago that showed 2 front Atmos speakers toward the front of the room and 2 Atmos ceiling speakers at the rear of the room. But from the diagram above it looks like all 4 are toward the rear of the room.

Which setup is preferred / correct?

Thanks for any assistance!!!
Old 10-21-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSchoch View Post
I am just beginning to look into Atmos. Currently I have a 5.2 setup.
My room doesn't allow for rears, but I could put in 4 ceiling speakers to accommodate a 5.2.4 if I went to a Atmos receiver.

Current Setup
Fronts Axiom M60's
Center Axiom VP180
Surrounds Axiom QS8's (left and right of couch about 12 feet from front of room, no wall behind me, opens up to kitchen)
Subs Dual SVS PC13 Ultra (Front left and right corner)

Some beginner questions.

1. First, for those who currently have Atmos installed at home, is the improvement that noticable?
Yes.
Quote:

2. What will a receiver do with non atmos encoded blu rays. Will is just play sound in the normal 5.1 setup and the ceiling speakers will be ignored, OR will it re-direct sounds so the surround sounds get split up between the surrounds and the Atmos in ceiling speakers?
That's up to you. Atmos and the new Dolby Surround upmixer are separate functions. Atmos decodes Atmos-encoded soundtracks. DSU upscales non-Atmos soundtracks to use (almost*) all of your speakers. DSU is one of maybe a half-dozen playback options available. Two of them are "legacy" upmixers (DTS Neo:X and Audyssey DSX). Others can leave the incoming decoded soundtrack unmodified, down-mix it to stereo, etc. (Almost* = Front Wides are not used. But you wouldn't have FW if you nave a 5.2 configuration.)

Quote:
3. If I install 4 ceiling speakers, from the diagram above at Dolby, it looks like you should install them relatively close to the rear surround speakers...a couple in front of a couch and a couple behind a couch (which BTW is my setup...I have 1 listening position w/ a couch...by surrounds are to the left / right of the couch).
Right. There are 5 overhead positions. You seem to be describing the two pairs closest to the seating, which are called Top Front and Top Rear.

Quote:
I thought I seen a diagram a while ago that showed 2 front Atmos speakers toward the front of the room and 2 Atmos ceiling speakers at the rear of the room. But from the diagram above it looks like all 4 are toward the rear of the room.
I don't know which picture you're looking at, so I can only guess that it's a trick of perspective. The 5 allowed overhead positions are called (from front to back) Front Height, Top Front, Top Center, Top Rear and Rear Height. You can use any two of them, so long as they're not adjacent to each other.

Quote:
Which setup is preferred / correct?
That's very much up to you. Top Front + Top Rear probably are the most appropriate if you're going to be using in-ceiling speakers.

From your comments, I'm guessing you might not have seen the oft-posted speaker placement diagrams that D+M provides in their Denon and Marantz manuals. See below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_14102014_060113.png
Views:	81
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	323377   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_30082014_114414.png
Views:	79
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	323385  

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 10-22-2014, 05:59 AM

Thanks for all the info!!! Here's the 5.1.4 diagram I was looking at on dolby. Sounds like I can setup exactly like this to surround the seating area with 4 ceiling speakers and my two surrounds, or I can pull two of the ceiling speakers more toward the front of the room, correct?

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dol...-4-setups.html

I think I would probably just leave it as the diagram shows. Only issue is I have two can lights in the ceiling to work around too...but I can probably make it work out.

Thanks again!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Dolby's guidelines for home speaker systems are quite generous, so your plan should work fine.

p.s. This is intended to be the thread for discussing Atmos in commercial theaters, not for in-home installations. Sorry I didn't notice that before writing my initial reply. Home theater questions would get more responses in the thread The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version)

Selden

Old 10-22-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Dolby's guidelines for home speaker systems are quite generous, so your plan should work fine.

p.s. This is intended to be the thread for discussing Atmos in commercial theaters, not for in-home installations. Sorry I didn't notice that before writing my initial reply. Home theater questions would get more responses in the thread The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version)

Oooops, didn't even realize this. Thanks for the direction!!!

Wish I could move it over, don't feel like re-typing.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Old 10-23-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Incremental benefit at big expense for the HT. I'm sticking with 7.1. It's more for commercial theaters.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 85
But what about the soundhole above you?
Old 10-23-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 99
again incremental. Cost/benefit not there for me, maybe you.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

I read that article... He doesn't understand that just because it's HDCP that doesn't make it more future proof than non HDCP units. Units like the Denon have faster processing capabilities. For whatever reason I think there is a trade off between going HDCP & processing power. I don't rule out that there could be a fair amount of planned obsolescence involved between all the AVR manufacturers.
However... anything to make 4k worthwhile won't be around for at least a few years (HDR content / content graded with expanded color gamut)... unless if you are a 4k nut there really isn't much benefit known about to going 4k for a while. Sure, people could buy the Vizio R series, but what will they beable to watch on it that's graded for HDR?

For me personally, the Atmos upgrade was worth it... I was still stuck on 5.1. I can understand if someone doesn't want to upgrade from 7.1... however, the upmixing I can assure you is quite amazing.
I am ticked off about the lack of (good) Atmos content for home... but it's not enough to make me regret being an early Atmos adopter, quite simply because this was a huge upgrade for me and movies sound like 10x better on this system. I got the 7.1.4 setup, on a lot of older movies I do hear height information, and it isn't subtle.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Atmos isn't just for commercial theaters btw... while there are some things that can't be done at home yet vs. the theater... I heard an improperly installed 5.1.2 Atmos demo @ Best Buy... the demo wasn't bad compared to the theater.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:10 AM

I am on a 5.1 still too (well, 5.2 if you take into acct I have dual SVS's )

Sounds like that for peeps on a 5.1, the Atmos is a nice upgrade, but for peeps already on the 7.1 or 9.1 train, not so much. Fair statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
... however, the upmixing I can assure you is quite amazing.
When you say upmixing, does that mean that the AVR will take non Atmos soundtracks on CD's or BluRays and utilize the new Atmos speakers I install in the ceiling? I have an Onkyo Receiver now so would most likely stick with Onkyo, Maybe move to Denon. So they'll have pre-set sound selections to utilize the Atmos speakers?

If I make the jump, I'd install 4 ceiling speakers to go to a 5.1.4 system. I thought I read on another thread that on a Onkyo receiver that only 2 of the atmos speakers can be powered with the AVR, and the other 2 have to be powered with a seperate amp.
Is that accurate?

Thanks for any assistance.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds like that for peeps on a 5.1, the Atmos is a nice upgrade, but for peeps already on the 7.1 or 9.1 train, not so much. Fair statement?

When you say upmixing, does that mean that the AVR will take non Atmos soundtracks on CD's or BluRays and utilize the new Atmos speakers I install in the ceiling? I have an Onkyo Receiver now so would most likely stick with Onkyo, Maybe move to Denon. So they'll have pre-set sound selections to utilize the Atmos speakers?
That's what the new Dolby Surround upmixer does, yes.

Quote:
If I make the jump, I'd install 4 ceiling speakers to go to a 5.1.4 system. I thought I read on another thread that on a Onkyo receiver that only 2 of the atmos speakers can be powered with the AVR, and the other 2 have to be powered with a seperate amp.
Is that accurate?

Your home Atmos questions would be better answered in the Home Atmos thread. The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version)

I think you might be confusing Onkyo's Atmos receivers with D+M's.

Selden

Old 10-24-2014, 08:39 AM

Apologies again, I thought I was in the home theater section again.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:
Depends on how those 7.1 or 9..1 speakers are configured. If none of those speakers are used as heights, then Atmos would be a nice upgrade, since it will give those peeps overhead imaging that they're not currently enjoying.

Sanjay
Old 10-24-2014, 10:55 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 1078
Height peep imaging.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Old 10-24-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 1045

Sanjay
Old 10-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is that accurate?

Yes... I'm not sure about CD's but yeah... 5.1 mixes sound so much better in Atmos, it will send information to the height speakers... better yet if it's a TrueHD disc. K Barnes wrote a good review of the upmixing in his impressions of the X5200W, maybe ask him if He can show you the post.

Depending on what your budget & space is... I'd recommend going 7.1.4 so you can add rear surrounds... it adds so much to the dimension of the sound... but I understand some rooms don't allow for space behind the listening position. I reoriented my living room just so I could go 7.1.4, I now have a sideways half section of a couch facing me (haha)... but it's sooo worth it.

The cheaper Atmos onkyo units only do 5.1.2. I think the cheapest unit that can do 7.1.4 is the Denon... if you do go Atmos I'd recommend the X5200W if you can spare the cash. JDsmoothie might be able to work out a deal for you... I got mine from him. I went from a Yamaha HTR 5830 to that... the difference was not subtle!
Old 10-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is that accurate?

Oh and yeah you need an external amp to use all 4 heights in the Denon or any other high end .4 system... the reason why is AVR's simply wouldn't be able to add more pre-amps due to power consumption (I think). So you get something like the AMP-100 to power 2 of the 4 height speakers... or whatever you want to use it for with the amp assign in the Denon.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
Oh and yeah you need an external amp to use all 4 heights in the Denon or any other high end .4 system... the reason why is AVR's simply wouldn't be able to add more pre-amps due to power consumption (I think). So you get something like the AMP-100 to power 2 of the 4 height speakers... or whatever you want to use it for with the amp assign in the Denon.
The ear level surround format is also a factor (i.e. 5.1 vs. 7.1 or higher). The Denon X4100W requires a 2-ch amp if you want a 5.1.4 setup as the receiver only has 7 internal amps. The X5200W can do 5.1.4 without an external amp since it has 9 internal amps. Of course, moving up the chain to a 7.1.4 setup would require an external amp and you are of course limited to 9.1.2 due to the 11-ch max on this model. A lot of members on the Dolby Home Theater thread are waiting for an "affordable" AVR/SSP that does 9.1.4 or higher. I suspect this could come with the first ground up Atmos (or Auro) designed unit. Most of the units announced this year are last year's model with some upgrades that fit the current footprint.
Old Today, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Speaker Selection for Atmos and Aurora

Hello All

I am also considering installing new speakers and wiring before AV8802 is released.

I currently have a 5.2 system
AV8801
Front Left and Right Klipsch RF 7II
Center Klipsch RC 64II
Surround JTR Slanted Single 8's.
Two Seaton Subversive HP+ in the front.

I am planning to add two slaves to Seaton next year and spread them between front and back.

Now I am trying to see for front heights and Rear Surrounds if I can use Airmotiv 6 or Stealth 6 from Emotiva or should I stick with JTR's for this.

What speaker options do I have for in ceiling speakers and Voice of God Speaker.

I am eventually planning to replace Fronts and Center with Catalyst 12C.

Cheers

Raj
Old Today, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Anyone please help:

Anyone in the LA area, is there a theater that is playing "The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies" in *both* HFR and Dolby Atmos?

I thought I found one at Arclight Sherman Oaks, but the current showtimes are just listed now as HFR 3D, not Atmos. I tried to call but the person on the phone was less than helpful. Too uncertain for a 70 mile drive.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company