post #1291 of 1291 Old 08-24-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimFrost View Post
I know I’m a bit late in this but Peter, you’ve erroneously noted that Atmos is different to Fantasound - I would suggest it is its direct predecessor.

Far from being a multichannel linear system with tracks attached to specific speaker positions in the theatre, the Fantasound audio was recorded optically in 6 discrete channels of instrument groups none of which were allocated to a position in the theatre – you could in fact call them objects (sounding familiar?). Along with these sound objects track, was a separate control track that determined, within the playback system, both the level and the placement of the sound. Isn't that what Atmos achieves?
The only real difference between Fantasound and Atmos is that the former used the newly developed (in 1941) ‘panpots’ which were controlled by geared motors, and Dolby have the advantage of a completely digital chain.
Seems Disney (and Stokowski) were ahead of the game by 60 years , which considering commercial film sound is under 90 years old – is not bad.

Interesting, I've read so many conflicting reports on what Fantasound had/didn't have/setup etc. I'm still not 100% sure how it really worked.

True that it was way ahead of it's time, which really sad when you think of all the potential films it could have been used with until surround was relaunched in the 50s with Cinerama and 'Scope.

You forgot another advantage Atmos has over Fantasound: being used in more than one film

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page