Dolby Atmos Theatre System - Page 46 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #1351 of 1366 Old 05-06-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Since they seem to be streamlining the nomenclature ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Maybe if it had been labeled 'Dolby Digital+'.
Ok I get it but since they went from Dolby PL to PL2 to pl2z then to Dolby Surround, I was excited to see the plain looking DOLBY SURROUND and immediately related it to ATMOS.

Well thanks for clarifying FM and Scott, too bad!
----------------------------------------------------------------

I will thus then contribute a pearl of "from the trenches" wisdom as it regards the CP-850 calibration side.

Since CINEMACON I have been interacting with group of Atmos certified installers who calibrate Movie Theaters from a effectiveness of autoeq angle, the consensus seems that the auto calibration feature in the cp-850 is yielding some incidents of mixed result, short story is that for behind the screen channels (and Dolby has received such feedback) the end result for some is a "crunchy sounding" presentation (Jbl-like sounding if you follow my critiques for dubbing stage performance levels, a visit by a dozen avsers to the Lab in LA confirmed room for improvement in this area)this up front while the room surround channels and T speakers the Atmos Auto EQ is excellent sounding smooth and un-distorted- the desired goal. This is not alien to the Fatigue Free B-Chain concept with A-B-C prioritized budget allocations for ATMOS systems where A)Being LCR, B) Screen to Auditorium Transition channels and C)Auditorium Channels.

It could also touch on the Screen EQ subjects addressed in AES 57 conference on IMMERSIVE Sound. Calibrators have obtained variances to use different MANUAL CALIBRATION methods for the main channels, with good results.Thinking out loud DIRAC may have set up a high mark, I am sure DOLBY will perfect this in near future.

Dolby will continue to improve not only the front end where you entre the auditorium metadata into the cp-850, but continue to improve the methods for Auto EQ, they may be working on a 3-D microphone system that not only does what for example a trinnov does, but also some of what it cannot do like keeping perfect track of xyz individual positions in the subwoofer management side, for the CP-850. Perhaps it may even read the room itself. Who knows.

Having not heard yet the calibration of system TRITON in Germany, the first TRINNOV ALTITUDE system using 32 loudspeaker channels in a home Atmos implementation, I am in no position to tell Dolkby buy TRINNOV. .

To this date I am very comfortable with the DIRAC LIVE solution for what it can do for movie theaters, it is the very best solution when you consider that you have a time limit of 2 days to calibrate, when you live in the same place as the theater then by all means use TRINNOV. Because the cp-850 does not have Dirac the solution will have to be one of the SMPTE methods. I believe the Qsys system has great firepower to do that and integrate all signals and connections under one roof digitally.

Here is the overview.

My problem is that I may be ok to use QSC network power dacs (assuming they compare well with the Quested Smart Dante amps)for say the 22 surround and room height speakers (using TRITON ROOM AS EXAMPLE), but for the height channels and width channels may want to use a D'agostino Cinema Standard amps using still something like the benchmark dacs, but then for the LCR I would want to use MOLA MOLA DACS and D'agostino Cinema Standard amps. I would be still using Quested Speakers....

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 05-06-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1366 Old 05-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked: 1688
I understand the confusion but it clearly says, 'Dolby Digital' not Dolby Surround.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #1353 of 1366 Old 05-06-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
I understand the confusion but it clearly says, 'Dolby Digital' not Dolby Surround.
That is why use the forum as a soundboard, it looked as it was spelled simple enough, Hey I think for the amount of misinformation I post compared to the off the chart breakthrough intel I do uncover and share here, seems to me I have earned the right to err? No .

Which I can say when it comes to Laser and how much HDR and now something even more crucial to anyone considering a Large 4k dlp chip Laser projection, we since yesterday confirmed being purview to some secret menu features information 2/3's of the projector manufacturers don't want you to know, that I guarantee you potentially compromises 30% of your image sharpness.

I will not sharing that with you guys, because I admit it's the mother of all competitive advantages and it will shake many vendor boats, but I can brag about it and admonish people against pulling their own "Taras Bulba Ending" in the implementation of a new 4K large chip DLP projector as only one tech has the details in USA and we are partnered in this solution, but anyone considering a dpi or dci 4k machine they are literally playing Russian roulette with their MTF.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 05-06-2015 at 12:15 PM.
post #1354 of 1366 Old 05-15-2015, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
Excited to hear this but also a bit unhappy for the home theater owner as it appears to mean the necessity of getting a whole new processor that is Atmos enabled and replacing all 5.1 and 7.1 Blu Ray discs with the versions of the film that will enable Atmos to do its things. I have a 7.1 system and hundreds of Blu Rays that would need replacing; that's a lot of $, Still I can't wait to go to a theater that has this system installed.
New theater near my has the latest in Dolby Atmos installed and all I can say is "WOW". It was so intense on the preview demo of Atmos that I started laughing aferwards out of disbelief. Inspired me to upgrade my entire speaker system. Just debating now on which Atmos enabled receiver to choose and 2 or 4 ceiling speakers?
post #1355 of 1366 Old 05-15-2015, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Go 7.1.4 or go home! As has been said elsewhere, mo' speakers mo' betta!

Check out the (extremely long) Dolby Atmos for the home thread.

post #1356 of 1366 Old 05-18-2015, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys,

I see in part of this thread that people are trying to find good small but loud and good ceiling speakers and an amp that goes over 110 db or so.

Check out Mark and Daniel Ruby or lower and d-sonic multichannel amps.

If I remember right the smallest 2 x M&D and 2-channel d-sonic is around 2.5k.

This combo is very tiny will play any volume and will challenge many people's main's!

Also, d-sonic can provide 6 or 7-channel amps in one chassis and very powerful and power efficient.
post #1357 of 1366 Old 05-21-2015, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbruce13 View Post
New theater near my has the latest in Dolby Atmos installed and all I can say is "WOW". It was so intense on the preview demo of Atmos that I started laughing aferwards out of disbelief. Inspired me to upgrade my entire speaker system. Just debating now on which Atmos enabled receiver to choose and 2 or 4 ceiling speakers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightminer View Post
Hey guys,

I see in part of this thread that people are trying to find good small but loud and good ceiling speakers and an amp that goes over 110 db or so.

Check out Mark and Daniel Ruby or lower and d-sonic multichannel amps.

If I remember right the smallest 2 x M&D and 2-channel d-sonic is around 2.5k.

This combo is very tiny will play any volume and will challenge many people's main's!

Also, d-sonic can provide 6 or 7-channel amps in one chassis and very powerful and power efficient.
I heard the KEF Ci200RR THX in-ceiling speakers in a 7.1.4 Atmos setup (with all KEF speakers, Ci5160 L/R, Ci3160 Center and all surrounds, Ci200RR for ceiling) and thought they were excellent. 90dB sensitivity and good dispersion thanks to their Uni-Q driver which is dual concentric. Guys have a look here http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/...0RR/index.html and let us know what you think.
post #1358 of 1366 Old 05-21-2015, 10:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
I heard the KEF Ci200RR THX in-ceiling speakers in a 7.1.4 Atmos setup (with all KEF speakers, Ci5160 L/R, Ci3160 Center and all surrounds, Ci200RR for ceiling) and thought they were excellent. 90dB sensitivity and good dispersion thanks to their Uni-Q driver which is dual concentric. Guys have a look here http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/...0RR/index.html and let us know what you think.
I'd put that in the home Atmos thread. This is for the cinema version.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #1359 of 1366 Old 05-22-2015, 06:51 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Yes they are outstanding
post #1360 of 1366 Old 05-25-2015, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Will these mount in the ceiling or should i set them in the attic for best immersive sound?
Attached Images

Aras_Volodka likes this.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.
post #1361 of 1366 Old 05-27-2015, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #1362 of 1366 Old 05-27-2015, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Yes they are outstanding
Where have you heard the KEF Ci THX series and what was your impression of them? From your reply I thought maybe you had them yourself but looking at your theater thread I see you have others. Thanks.
post #1363 of 1366 Old 05-27-2015, 09:16 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Exclamation

Quote:
Where have you heard the KEF Ci THX series and what was your impression of them? From your reply I thought maybe you had them yourself but looking at your theater thread I see you have others. Thanks.
I heard them in ceiling at my dealer and they sounded amazing! He had 9 KEF-LS 50 all around, and the KEF Ci THX in ceiling
adidino likes this.
post #1364 of 1366 Old 05-27-2015, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
OSP...

One sick puppy....
Sorry Peter. Just couldn't stop myself. There is a technical term for that. Pro-ficient..

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.
post #1365 of 1366 Old 05-28-2015, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Andy I would put them under the floor, infinite baffle!
post #1366 of 1366 Old Today, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
Will these mount in the ceiling or should i set them in the attic for best immersive sound?
HA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters