The Dark Knight Rises Dilemma: True Imax is sold out. To XD, or not to XD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-17-2012, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After much research online, I am still completely confused. Some people claim True IMAX > XD > Liemax (Digital Imax), while some others claim True IMAX > Digital Imax > XD . Which is true? And when I ask that question, my main cocern is this: The dark knight rises has 72 minutes of IMAX footage. Will the footage be chopped down on Cinemark XD? How about on Digital IMAX? Or neither? Input is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 159
To see TDKR as Christopher Nolan intended, you must seek out a true IMAX 15/70 film installation. Not sure how it will be at a Cinemark XD or the like. I seen it in just 2K Digital in Scope format and the film never changed aspect ratio throughout.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #3 of 4 Old 07-25-2012, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw it opening nite in true imax --waiting on line for 5+1/2 hrs in NYC. I intended on seeing it in the other formats as a test evaluation but after seeing it --the way it was meant to be seen---I feel that is the only way to see it. there was enough imax to see---- that I wondered if they at some point
considered just doing the whole movie that way.
I will see it again--because I even started to find the differences between imax and scope more noticeable ...again I think due to the amount of it.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-25-2012, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I ended up going to the Cinemark XD marathon on opening night, when I got there (Igot there late because of unfortunate traffic) the only seats left were at the very freaking front, so I watched the entirety of Batman Begins in that seat hoping that in a break between movies I would be able to snatch a better seat. Alas, i was unable to do that. so I ended up getting a refund (they gave me a full refund even though I had already seen one whole movie) and I started doing research to see if by any miracle I could watch the TDKR on IMAX buying tickets very last minute...and...i did!! Big miracle, I found tickets for a Santikos theater (which features TRUE IMAX) at the 3 30 am showing (alternative for those who missed the midnight one). I had to drive 40 min to get there, but it was worth it! i was there 4 hours early and i was very first in line. I thought nobody else would wanna watch at 3 am but it ended up being a full house!! I agree with you guys now, having seen batman begins in an XD screen and TDKR in a true IMAX screen all in the same day, I am now a true IMAX believer.
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page