Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.imaxprivatetheatre.com/
That seems like a lot of chairs for a "private" theater. As you can see, the theater is designed to be a room within a room with the front being one big screen. From what we can tell from the image, they are using a standard 5-channel system with up to four individual subwoofers (at the corners). The website indicates that they can accommodate up to 7.1 channels. We're surprised they don't at least support stereo subwoofers or any sort of height/width channels. The speakers are laser aligned and the system has an automatic calibration system that not only does an initial setup but does daily calibrations to make sure that every day sounds as good as the last. Aside from the space requirements (which look to be pretty significant), you'll also need to make room for this beast:

IMAX-projector

No, it is not the newest in the line of color copiers. It is two (count'em) 4k projectors. Capable of both 2D and 3D images, the projector works with the floor to ceiling, wall to wall screen to bring you the type of experience you expect from IMAX. Lastly, they have round the clock 24/7/365 customer support with a promised 5 minute response time. With predictive maintenance, performance tuning, and more, your IMAX theater is sure to be the envy of all your friends. We're also wondering if upgrades to the system (to include extra speakers or stereo subs) might be possible as they add features. You certainly wouldn't want to have to rebuild the whole thing from scratch.

This is obviously a unique solution for those with money to spare. We're hoping to see it trickle down to the more modest consumer in some form. Much like the THX certification program, we'd love to see some way for consumers that don't upgrade their yachts every year have some way of enjoying an IMAX experience at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-24-2013, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks Awesome! Seems like the perfect room for a Prima Cinema player
post #3 of 19 Old 04-25-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
If you have the funds why not ?

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #4 of 19 Old 04-25-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 42
These are dual Barco 4k projectors shooting at 2x 45 degree mirrors much like the christie duo, but Barco don't have active mirror warping like duo, dunno if they are doing autocon with warp or not.

The Imax does not have motion, will not have laser projectors for home due to fcc fda restrictions,4D playback from Library, sound system is movie theater system. I rather have an all High Power diamond based Kharma and D'agostino amps. Ah and NO TORUS screen. Looks like the battle for the supremacy in Home Cinema heats up between Goliath and a much smaller better equipped player.cool.gif
post #5 of 19 Old 04-25-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipester View Post

Looks Awesome! Seems like the perfect room for a Prima Cinema player

Yeah as Input nine in 1080p instead of input one in 4k DCI. biggrin.gif:D:D:D
post #6 of 19 Old 04-28-2013, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Peter the Imax HT looks like you work.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-29-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbr View Post

Peter the Imax HT looks like you work.

Thanks but I cannot get credit for the original idea of STADIUM SEATING.

The sound system on the other hand... THIS IS ATMOS COMPATIBLE CINERAMAX.

THE CINERAMAX CUSTOM AMPS are:
D'agostino will build me Blackbox versions of the best sounding MOMENTUM amplifier 10 mono 9 stereo. No frills black boxes with a mini jack for me to replicate the vu meters on the ipad.

As far as i am concerned I will never ever use another amp. The sound of these amps a few years ago left me wondering if CES NIRVANA could be transported into the multichannel world of home cinema. It seems a Stereophile writer (and many other spectators according to Dan) left that room with the same question (will it sound the same in my home?) IT DOES! I am doing it.
FROM STEREOPHILE (where my suspicions of the magnificence of these amps from listening in CES 2011 is confirmed) READ IT AND WEEP.biggrin.gif

Warmed up before warm-up
I first heard a pair of Momentums at a Consumer Electronics Show, driving a pair of Wilson Audio Specialties Sasha W/P speakers. Looking at the difficult-to-drive Sashas, I saw not the multiple drivers of a pair of loudspeakers, but a pair of open troughs from which flowed an effortless wall of musical honey.

You could easily turn that into a sticky negative, but that's not how I mean it. When the familiar music required sparkle, the Momentums delivered it—and particularly when there was bass energy, the amps produced weight, authority, and control that allowed the speakers to disappear. We've all experienced speakers that, when we sit before them in the sweet spot, have seemed to vanish as the actual sources of the sound—but how many of you have heard speakers that tonally "disappeared" from wherever in the room you stood—let alone in a hotel room at a hi-fi show?

That's what I heard as I stared down that pair of Sashas driven by Momentums, and I was hardly alone. It was the buzz all over that CES: "Dan is back!" Everyone I talked to mentioned the sound's seamlessness, which was simultaneously ultra-transparent and velvety rich.

That was then. And now?
How can so distinctive- and memorable-sounding a pair of amplifiers have no discernible sonic character? It sounds like an oxymoron. Surely, given more time with them, I could discover their "sound," I thought. Now that I've spent a few months searching, I'm not so sure.

THE CINERAMAX ATMOS ARRAY CUSTOM* SPEAKERS are:
NO FRILLS Trapezoidal shaped (nextel black finish) versions of the top of the line Kharma speakers will be used (BI AMPED) (BUT applying limited edition signature inbox acoustical treatment goo), the centre versions will have vertically time aligned TRIPLE DIAMOND TWEETERS with stepped ms delays to ramp up the image sound image to appear ON SCREEN (whilst below TORUS). Latest experiments at Prometheus have this concept LICKED.

The Powerful Extreme Enigma Flank REALD PRECISION WHITE TORUS (Left And Right).

Plus 10 Purposed specific shaped Exquisite Midi Grands (LR CENTRE FILL, Plynthed Height Channel and Torus Compatible rears, plus 4 side channels ala Pro Audio Tech SCRS12ai sides and LFC212ai side subs used in Skoll but preserving th mttm d'appolito above.

I AM FREAKING TIRED OF PRO SOUND SYSTEMS BEING FORCED INTO THE FINEST CINEMAS. MOVIES HAVE MUSIC! I Will Prove the world wrong with this one. DCI atmos tracks will benefit from the ultimate in audiophile surround.

NOTES: * Re Atmos:Latest development NEW Center Channel designs should receive Atmos approval due to special above the speaker imaging crossover design -ala dynaudio confidence center plynth + CO delay switch combo.

ON THE 3D SCREEN BRIGHTNESS UNIFORMITY:
The TORUS Part is a guesstimation to dramatize point for client but... probably pretty accurate.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-01-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Looks sweet!! Love the screen speaker arrays and subs damn!! As said if rich why not? Still think you could get similar results with a single Christie or Barco and a JBL Pro Cinema screen arrays, subs and surrounds. Still though genuine IMAX at home would be some big braggin rights to your buddies lol.cool.gifeek.gif

Cineramax, awesome as usual man!! You got them all beat. Ive been drooling over those amps for awhile now. Love the look.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #9 of 19 Old 10-28-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am surprised no one has posted this:

Good For Imax.

IMAX plans to integrate the PRIMA Cinema technology into the IMAX® Private Theatre and other potential platforms, enhancing the image and sound of the content through its digital re-mastering (IMAX DMR®) process, which enables IMAX customers to access current theatrical releases of the highest possible quality.
As part of the agreement, IMAX will receive a five-year window of exclusivity to distribute and resell PRIMA systems in China . IMAX will also maintain a seat on PRIMA Cinema's board of directors.
"Today's agreement with PRIMA Cinema enhances our ability to deliver a premium, end-to-end in-home entertainment experience, combining the best of IMAX's immersive image and sound technology with the delivery of current theatrical titles," said IMAX CEO Richard L. Gelfond . "In addition to using PRIMA Cinema in our IMAX Private Theatre systems, we are also exploring ways to integrate IMAX's proprietary technology and PRIMA Cinema's delivery system into other premium in-home applications."
"PRIMA Cinema is incredibly proud to partner with IMAX and introduce a new level of innovation in the digital entertainment industry," said Jason Pang , PRIMA Cinema Founder and CEO. "We've set a high bar in terms of security and quality with our current PRIMA Cinema system. Complementing the IMAX Private Theater raises it to new heights and creates an entirely new digital outlet for the film industry."
IMAX has leveraged 40 years of cutting-edge, proprietary and patented technology and architecture to custom-design a new premium home offering that is multi-sensory, immersive, and visceral. The IMAX Private Theatre combines breathtaking IMAX® and IMAX® 3D images, flawless sound and optimized theatre design to deliver the ultimate in-home entertainment experience. For more information on the IMAX Private Theatre, please visit www.imaxprivatetheatre.com.

From Electronic house they discuss the viability of Prima to play Imax titles instead of the mozaex.

IMAX and PRIMA Join Forces to Make the Best Home Theaters
Two premium home theater systems just got better

inShare

October 28, 2013 by Grant Clauser
Two of the most interesting recent initiatives in luxury home theater have finally come together. Today IMAX announced a partnership with PRIMA Cinema.

Specifically, IMAX acquired a “stake and a significant option position” in PRIMA Cinema, says a press release. The purpose of the move is to expand the IMAX experience in the home.

PRIMA is a system for delivering first run movies in the home via a proprietary internet-connected hard drive server. PRIMA movies cost the viewer $500 each, and the initial system costs $35,000 (read a first-hand account of PRMA here).

IMAX Private Theaters, on the other hand, is a program which gets the user a complete $2 million home theater, including a 4K dual projector system, 7.1 channel laser-aligned loudspeakers, a wall-to-floor-to-ceiling screen and a custom movie server provided by Mozaex.

Learn more about IMAX Home Cinema here.

PRIMA Cinema also has some specifications for the home theaters which include the company’s Prima player, but they’re not nearly as comprehensive.

Last week, CE Pro’s Jason Knott reported that IMAX was looking for partners that would help get IMAX into more homes as well as a plan to offer a lower-priced version of the IMAX home experience.

IMAX CEO Richard L. Gelfond said the company is looking into ways to integrate IMAX technology into the PRIMA system. We’re not sure if that means that the PRIMA movie player will get replaced with a new model, possibly the Mozaex server or if the existing PRIMA player will be able to deliver IMAX movies.

We emailed questions to a few of the involved parties and will update this story when we hear back.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-03-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

I am surprised no one has posted this:

Good For Imax.

IMAX plans to integrate the PRIMA Cinema technology into the IMAX® Private Theatre and other potential platforms, enhancing the image and sound of the content through its digital re-mastering (IMAX DMR®) process, which enables IMAX customers to access current theatrical releases of the highest possible quality.
As part of the agreement, IMAX will receive a five-year window of exclusivity to distribute and resell PRIMA systems in China . IMAX will also maintain a seat on PRIMA Cinema's board of directors.
"Today's agreement with PRIMA Cinema enhances our ability to deliver a premium, end-to-end in-home entertainment experience, combining the best of IMAX's immersive image and sound technology with the delivery of current theatrical titles," said IMAX CEO Richard L. Gelfond . "In addition to using PRIMA Cinema in our IMAX Private Theatre systems, we are also exploring ways to integrate IMAX's proprietary technology and PRIMA Cinema's delivery system into other premium in-home applications."
"PRIMA Cinema is incredibly proud to partner with IMAX and introduce a new level of innovation in the digital entertainment industry," said Jason Pang , PRIMA Cinema Founder and CEO. "We've set a high bar in terms of security and quality with our current PRIMA Cinema system. Complementing the IMAX Private Theater raises it to new heights and creates an entirely new digital outlet for the film industry."
IMAX has leveraged 40 years of cutting-edge, proprietary and patented technology and architecture to custom-design a new premium home offering that is multi-sensory, immersive, and visceral. The IMAX Private Theatre combines breathtaking IMAX® and IMAX® 3D images, flawless sound and optimized theatre design to deliver the ultimate in-home entertainment experience. For more information on the IMAX Private Theatre, please visit www.imaxprivatetheatre.com.

From Electronic house they discuss the viability of Prima to play Imax titles instead of the mozaex.

IMAX and PRIMA Join Forces to Make the Best Home Theaters
Two premium home theater systems just got better

inShare

October 28, 2013 by Grant Clauser
Two of the most interesting recent initiatives in luxury home theater have finally come together. Today IMAX announced a partnership with PRIMA Cinema.

Specifically, IMAX acquired a “stake and a significant option position” in PRIMA Cinema, says a press release. The purpose of the move is to expand the IMAX experience in the home.

PRIMA is a system for delivering first run movies in the home via a proprietary internet-connected hard drive server. PRIMA movies cost the viewer $500 each, and the initial system costs $35,000 (read a first-hand account of PRMA here).

IMAX Private Theaters, on the other hand, is a program which gets the user a complete $2 million home theater, including a 4K dual projector system, 7.1 channel laser-aligned loudspeakers, a wall-to-floor-to-ceiling screen and a custom movie server provided by Mozaex.

Learn more about IMAX Home Cinema here.

PRIMA Cinema also has some specifications for the home theaters which include the company’s Prima player, but they’re not nearly as comprehensive.

Last week, CE Pro’s Jason Knott reported that IMAX was looking for partners that would help get IMAX into more homes as well as a plan to offer a lower-priced version of the IMAX home experience.

IMAX CEO Richard L. Gelfond said the company is looking into ways to integrate IMAX technology into the PRIMA system. We’re not sure if that means that the PRIMA movie player will get replaced with a new model, possibly the Mozaex server or if the existing PRIMA player will be able to deliver IMAX movies.

We emailed questions to a few of the involved parties and will update this story when we hear back.

Awesome! As soon as I heard about the private IMAX installs first thing I though about was PRIMA Cinema with it.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #11 of 19 Old 12-31-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

The other nice feature of the IMAX Private Theatre is the ability to play D-Cinema content. Providing of course that you can get access to the content.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-06-2014, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmont View Post

The other nice feature of the IMAX Private Theatre is the ability to play D-Cinema content. Providing of course that you can get access to the content.

Best check with IMAX- there is an upgrade fee for DCI compatibilty

Neil Davidson - Visit my facebook page
post #13 of 19 Old 01-06-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceenhad View Post

Best check with IMAX- there is an upgrade fee for DCI compatibilty

Yep I am aware. I attended the training last year.

Considering the point of entry for the system the ability to add playback of DCI material is nearly immaterial.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-06-2014, 03:11 PM

Ok cool. I was at the first in September and agree that it is likely not a consideration for purchasers to be concerned about.

post #15 of 19 Old 01-06-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceenhad View Post

Ok cool. I was at the first in September and agree that it is likely not a consideration for purchasers to be concerned about.

Nice. I had to go to the October one because I didn't yet have my passport. One of my constituents went so you may have met him.

To me content is king so I am really glad they added that feature. DCI content is so superior to anything else out there and it will be even more apparent on even the minimal screen size spec with IMAX.

So I take it you are an integrator as well?
post #16 of 19 Old 01-06-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

All be darn I was always under the impression that PRIMA Cinema was a D-Cinema solution for in home DCI content. Was it first used as somthing else? Also is it an ethernet streaming device or does it use satilite or do they just send you DCPs with a KDM code to unlock the content like in theaters? Sorry lotta questions lol

JBL Pro Cinema
post #17 of 19 Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I'm curious if the IMAX private theaters will be there glorified 5.0 or there new sound system (which could be auro 3d). Also can you play your normal blurays though the system?

EDIT: I see that its 7.1...hmm I actually thought it would be a 5.0. All IMAXs do give the same experience as their ceo claims

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #18 of 19 Old 01-07-2014, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunzhishu View Post

good,DCI content is so superior to anything else out there and it will be even more apparent on even the minimal screen size spec with IMAX.
Quote:

Nice. I had to go to the October one because I didn't yet have my passport. One of my constituents went so you may have met him.

To me content is king so I am really glad they added that feature. DCI content is so superior to anything else out there and it will be even more apparent on even the minimal screen size spec with IMAX.

confused.gif

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #19 of 19 Old 01-07-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:

cmont - if you are who I think you are then we just connected on LinkedIn and your colleague Josh was at my class. You would have been there with my business partner Wim.

Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page