Surround Sound Balance Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-06-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I always notice in theaters that sound effects in the rear are mainly left oriented. In other words to me its seems like the sound mix is slanted toward the rear left speakers more than the right rear channel by a nice margin. I usually sit dead center in movie theaters so I don't have a left or right fixation. I notice the same thing watching movies at home. Is that a true situation or not and have any of you noticed that? I wish it was not like that as I like to hear all the channels being used during the course of a movie.
jbug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 12-07-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hays, KS
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I personally havnet noticed this but maybe it is just luck of the draw that the movies you had judged happend to have a lot of content oriented in that direction.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reddig is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 12-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Member
 
johnty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If it happens in multiple movie theaters and on multiple movies at home you might want to have your hearing checked. Your right ear could be down a db or two.
johnty is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 12-09-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnty View Post

If it happens in multiple movie theaters and on multiple movies at home you might want to have your hearing checked. Your right ear could be down a db or two.

Maybe I am down a quart or so. I'll use that as an excuse the next time my wife calls me to do something though. I saw the latest Hunger Games movie Sunday but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
jbug is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 01-02-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I always notice in theaters that sound effects in the rear are mainly left oriented. In other words to me its seems like the sound mix is slanted toward the rear left speakers more than the right rear channel by a nice margin. I usually sit dead center in movie theaters so I don't have a left or right fixation. I notice the same thing watching movies at home. Is that a true situation or not and have any of you noticed that? I wish it was not like that as I like to hear all the channels being used during the course of a movie.
Next time you feel the left side bias, turn your head around to face the rear for a moment to see if it stays that way or not.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 01-03-2014, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Next time you feel the left side bias, turn your head around to face the rear for a moment to see if it stays that way or not.

I'll put that to the test.
jbug is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 01-27-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cam Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Tucson, AZ & Los Angeles,CA, USA
Posts: 2,501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Next time you feel the left side bias, turn your head around to face the rear for a moment to see if it stays that way or not.

Your brain will fool you if you try it that way.

You can do the same test using an SPL meter and listening for a difference in left and right surround, then verifying with the meter. If you find that your right "sounds" a little lower, then go by ear to raise the right a couple of dB to compensate. No rule says you can't. wink.gif Then listen to a passage or two you know well .

What you describe can also be caused by not having quite the correct relative levels between the side surround and the back surround on the same side. If you simultaneously send both speakers a mono test tone, a phantom image should be centered between the two. BUT, you must evaluate that phantom position while facing the screen. Our perception of location of sound behind us is different than when we face it.

A good test example is from Oblivion. If you use the scene in Oblivion where the bubblecraft lands at the stadium, the sound should move smoothly in a counter clockwise manner to the rear half of the room as the craft leaves screen left. If it sounds like it goes straight to the rear rather than strongly around your left side, then the left surround is too low relative to the back left channel. Check your levels...as described above if necessary. smile.gif Then run the scene again to verify.

When the drone leaves the stadium, it zooms out the right side and rear quite aggressively.

Your back surrounds are not in the back corners, right?
Cam Man is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 01-28-2014, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

You can do the same test using an SPL meter and listening for a difference in left and right surround, then verifying with the meter. If you find that your right "sounds" a little lower, then go by ear to raise the right a couple of dB to compensate. No rule says you can't. wink.gif
I think the theater manager might object. rolleyes.gif

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 01-28-2014, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

Your brain will fool you if you try it that way.

You can do the same test using an SPL meter and listening for a difference in left and right surround, then verifying with the meter. If you find that your right "sounds" a little lower, then go by ear to raise the right a couple of dB to compensate. No rule says you can't. wink.gif Then listen to a passage or two you know well .

What you describe can also be caused by not having quite the correct relative levels between the side surround and the back surround on the same side. If you simultaneously send both speakers a mono test tone, a phantom image should be centered between the two. BUT, you must evaluate that phantom position while facing the screen. Our perception of location of sound behind us is different than when we face it.

A good test example is from Oblivion. If you use the scene in Oblivion where the bubblecraft lands at the stadium, the sound should move smoothly in a counter clockwise manner to the rear half of the room as the craft leaves screen left. If it sounds like it goes straight to the rear rather than strongly around your left side, then the left surround is too low relative to the back left channel. Check your levels...as described above if necessary. smile.gif Then run the scene again to verify.

When the drone leaves the stadium, it zooms out the right side and rear quite aggressively.

Your back surrounds are not in the back corners, right?

No, they are along the sides, just slightly behind the first row of seats. I'll have to try the test with an SACD as I'm in between TVs.
jbug is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 02-06-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hays, KS
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I have noticed with alot of theaters that if you are left or right of the center line of the theater which ever side is closer with become dominant and slightly or completely drowned out the other side. Theres a scientific term for this effect named after the guy who documented the phenomena. Maybe someone said it in this thread not sure. But I understand what your saying. Ive been to theaters where I could have bet alot of money that the left surrounds where not working at all only to just move a couple seats over and boom you hear them. Happens all the time in home theaters when seats are up against the wall too close to a surround.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reddig is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 02-07-2014, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

I have noticed with alot of theaters that if you are left or right of the center line of the theater which ever side is closer with become dominant and slightly or completely drowned out the other side. Theres a scientific term for this effect named after the guy who documented the phenomena. Maybe someone said it in this thread not sure. But I understand what your saying. Ive been to theaters where I could have bet alot of money that the left surrounds where not working at all only to just move a couple seats over and boom you hear them. Happens all the time in home theaters when seats are up against the wall too close to a surround.

I'm going to see that Lego movie (um, taking the grandkids you understand) this weekend. I'm going to pay special attention to that.
jbug is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 02-07-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hays, KS
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I'm going to see that Lego movie (um, taking the grandkids you understand) this weekend. I'm going to pay special attention to that.

Hey bro no explanation needed I'm a total kid at heart and my buddy and I are going on Sat morning to see it!! Take note of number of surrounds on each wall as will I and let's both try to set left or right from center a few seats and let's compare experiences. Hopefully the movie has an active surround mix and it's a good flick. I heard it is too. 100% positive on Rotten Tomatoes so far
jbug likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reddig is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 02-07-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
That's a deal and I'll report back on Monday. The movie has super good reviews.
Reddig likes this.
jbug is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hays, KS
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

That's a deal and I'll report back on Monday. The movie has super good reviews.
Right on I'll do the same!!

JBL Pro Cinema
Reddig is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 02-10-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hays, KS
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Man I absolutely loved The Lego Movie!! I havn't laughed so much at the movies in years. Great in everyway that movie was. I really enjoyed the sound mix. I was 4 seat right of what would be the center and I could hear the left and right surrounds evenly creating the desired stereo effect at times. This particular theater actually makes most movies sound great. Uses EV mains and JBL surrounds.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reddig is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 02-11-2014, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
It was good but I want to see it again for the parts that I missed getting popcorn and Icee refills for the two kids we took. I see it did very well at the box office. What did you think of the 3D? As for seating, we wound up on the left side in the back cause the theater had mostly filled up by the time we got there. I couldn't even concentrate on the sound because of interruptions (lol).
jbug is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 02-23-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hays, KS
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 161
That's too bad man. Kids are definitely big distractions at the movies wether there your own or somebody else's lol. Wasn't blown away by the 3D. Think it's a movie where 2D is good enough and 3D isn't necessary. Seemed way subtle. I loved the movie tho absolutely loved it.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reddig is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 02-24-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I agree about the 3D in that movie. I haven't been blown away watching a 3D movie in a theater in a long time. At home it's much better though.
jbug is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 02-24-2014, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hays, KS
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I agree about the 3D in that movie. I haven't been blown away watching a 3D movie in a theater in a long time. At home it's much better though.

I seem to be the most impressed with animations in 3D, especially DreamWorks and Pixar, although there exceptions. Monster's U impressed me with there 3D as did The Croods. At home 3D is a blast for sure.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reddig is offline  
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off