70mm IMAX vs. 35mm, LieMAX, XD, ETX, RPX? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CINERAMAX

post #1 of 3 Old 08-19-2017, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
70mm IMAX vs. 35mm, LieMAX, XD, ETX, RPX?

Sorry if this is considered off-topic or already discussed, but this seemed to be the most appropriate sub-forum for this question (the people here should have pretty good knowledge on this), and I didn't turn up much that was comprehensive in comparing systems when searching thread titles for the above terms.

Basically, how do the various high-end theaters compare? I couldn't care less about how big the seats are or if they recline, and while I do care about sound quality, it is obviously the visual quality that I can see. So how do the various projection schemes and screens stack up?

I've looked for info on what the equivalent resolution is of 70mm IMAX vs. 35mm and lesser formats -- I saw somewhere it claimed 70mm IMAX is the equivalent of 18000 lines, but I've also read that's what it is filmed at, but what gets projected to the screen is much lower resolution after all the film processing steps. And then there's color gamut, dynamic range, blah blah.

I saw Wonder Woman at a Cinemark XD theater and was very impressed -- the trailer in the theater for XD said they use some high end Barco projector, for what that's worth. What about the other new high-end systems like ETX and RPX? And I've heard that LieMAX isn't as bad as it used to be because they've improved the projectors -- but how does it compare to the new competition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-30-2017, 01:36 PM
LICENSED TO THRILL

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerva View Post
Sorry if this is considered off-topic or already discussed, but this seemed to be the most appropriate sub-forum for this question (the people here should have pretty good knowledge on this), and I didn't turn up much that was comprehensive in comparing systems when searching thread titles for the above terms.

Basically, how do the various high-end theaters compare? I couldn't care less about how big the seats are or if they recline, and while I do care about sound quality, it is obviously the visual quality that I can see. So how do the various projection schemes and screens stack up?

I've looked for info on what the equivalent resolution is of 70mm IMAX vs. 35mm and lesser formats -- I saw somewhere it claimed 70mm IMAX is the equivalent of 18000 lines, but I've also read that's what it is filmed at, but what gets projected to the screen is much lower resolution after all the film processing steps. And then there's color gamut, dynamic range, blah blah.

I saw Wonder Woman at a Cinemark XD theater and was very impressed -- the trailer in the theater for XD said they use some high end Barco projector, for what that's worth. What about the other new high-end systems like ETX and RPX? And I've heard that LieMAX isn't as bad as it used to be because they've improved the projectors -- but how does it compare to the new competition?
Cant discuss but there is plenty of data here.Cheers!

Mikenificent1 likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerva View Post

Here's the State of the Union.

There are three well-defined Premium Large Format cinema experiences: IMAX, Dolby Cinema and China Giant Screen (a Chinese attempt to compete with IMAX).

There are also several PLF formats that aren't really formats at all, just theater chains trying to upsell you on more expensive tickets without paying IMAX or Dolby for a true PLF format. With IMAX and Dolby Cinema you know what you are paying for - competent dual-projector 2D or 3D presentation of an IMAX-mastered DCP (in the case of LieMax), exquisite laser projection (in the case of true IMAX with Laser) or 15/70 IMAX film presentation (still the best image available, should you be lucky enough to live near an IMAX film theatre). And of course Dolby Cinema features both Dolby Atmos sound and Dolby Vision dual projectors with HDR capabilities and incredibly inky blacks in the picture, with the DCP being specifically mastered for Dolby Cinema presentation.

With RTX, MPX, CinemaXD etc there's no explicit promise made as to what you're getting. It'll be a really large screen, and probably very comfortable seats, but the picture and sound are just standard-issue, maybe with an immersive sound format (DTS:X, Dolby Atmos, Auro-3D) thrown in for good measure. I'm not a big fan of these formats, because it seems to me that in *any* auditorium you should have an expectation of a properly calibrated sound system, and an in-focus picture at the correct light level. You shouldn't have to pay extra for that. I'm sure some of the circuits have theater designers and engineers who really care, and are equipping their alphabet-soup auditoriums with best-in-class projectors and sound systems, but there's no guarantee. Best practice is to patronize theaters that you have been to and know are good.

Last edited by dschulz; 09-23-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page