Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MythSpell View Post

2 separate questions:

1. Everything I'd seen on this unit showed an MSRP of $39.99 or $40, so I'm just wondering how Provantage is charging more? It doesn't seem the sort of practice Echostar would allow. And on a side-note, I wonder why SolidSignal (or anyone else) isn't accepting pre-orders for these since apparently the 60 day authorization window is a valid feature of the coupon program. I guess it all just boils down to the principle of paying over MSRP that's bothering me and I wish there was a way to avoid it (my coupons expire very soon). Whacking on that extra bit has certainly hurt Provantage's reputation in my eyes - it just smacks of blatant greed to me.

According to the CECB program a vendor can charge whatever is reasonable, which is very open ended. I suppose if Echostar didn't put a limit on the price or the price being charged is within that limit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 6754 Old 05-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acteng View Post

And I liked the boxy TR-40 prototype better too. This new design looks like some newfangled IKEA memory foam pillow. Let's hope marketing didn't mess with the circuit board.

My tastes are rectangular when it comes to electronics too.

It was mentioned that it might prevent someone from stacking something on it and inhibiting cooling. The curve does also give more surface area for cooling. I suppose cone shaped would be better for surface area but then people would use them for hat racks.

Do you know anything about the circuit board in either or any comparisons?
post #273 of 6754 Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post

According to the CECB program a vendor can charge whatever is reasonable, which is very open ended. I suppose if Echostar didn't put a limit on the price or the price being charged is within that limit.

Yeah, I know it has nothing to do with the CECB program. That's why I only mentioned Echostar. I have no idea what their policy is but many manufacturer's make their authorized retailers sign an agreement to not sell at a price over MSRP, under is okay but not over. Although, there are some manufacturers (Bose comes to mind) that won't even allow them to sell under - only at exactly the set MSRP.
post #274 of 6754 Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

Advertisements on EPG

That's tacky. Where does this 7-day feed come from?
post #275 of 6754 Old 05-14-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Don, I believe the Echostar box will have something like TVGOS which also has advertising. On the bright side it should be more reliable and go out further that the PCIP guide that other boxes use.
Oh and for the person who asked if any B &M stores would be carrying the Echostar, I've been told by a manager at Ultimate Electronics(if you have one near your) they will carry the CECB but not the TR-50. Not sure where else there's UE's but I for sure in the midwest and I think Denver area also.
post #276 of 6754 Old 05-14-2008, 09:25 AM

" have no idea what their policy is but many manufacturer's make their authorized retailers sign an agreement to not sell at a price over MSRP, under is okay but not over. "

Any such agreement would be illegal in the United States. The manufacturer can "suggest" a selling price, but cannot restrict or control the price the retailer charges. The manufacturer cannot legally set the price.
post #277 of 6754 Old 05-14-2008, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bouldrey View Post

That's tacky. Where does this 7-day feed come from?

Most likely your local PBS station (or CBS according to this article: http://www.multichannel.com/index.as...leid=CA6435011).

This is probably what it'll look like:

I can definitly live with the ads (wouldn't surprise me if dish slips a few ads in there...). It's still better than what's out there now.
post #278 of 6754 Old 05-14-2008, 09:43 AM

PSIP support by local stations has been sketchy at best. Half the time it says "DTV PROGRAM", or is off by 1 hour, etc. I wish the stations would do a better job of updating the PSIP data.

In theory the PSIP protocol does support detailed descriptions and multiple days of scheduling. Most STBs don't support much more than the simple current and next program info gathered from PSIP; those that do support a more detailed grid need to visit each channel long enough to get the PSIP data and fill it in. (My old Samsung T451 tuner took minutes to complete the scan.)

Yeah, TVGOS has some ads, but it sounds like it's more reliable and updates faster than anything else OTA. Not ideal, but as long as they don't pop up ads during the program I'm OK with it.
post #279 of 6754 Old 05-14-2008, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ok - I just ordered my DTVPal.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #280 of 6754 Old 05-14-2008, 12:35 PM

I called to check on changing my order from TR-40 to DTV Pal and the CSR was clueless. I gave her the name of my sales person and the csr who sent me the email and she said she would check. Meanwhile I sent emails to the sales rep and CSR not to cancel my order but to change it to the DTV Pal. This is getting to be much too much work!!!!

Update: Got an email from Steve (CSR) and my order is fine.
post #281 of 6754 Old 05-14-2008, 01:31 PM

I just preordered two with my coupons from provantage and the CSR told me they have no idea when it will ship, she said response has been overwhelming. She took my numbers, gave me a total of 16.35 for two including shipping.

Now the wait begins.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues"
-Abraham Lincoln
post #282 of 6754 Old 05-14-2008, 03:31 PM

Just preordered the dtvpal from Provantage. Lady told me they originally thought they would only sell around 6 a day. They are averaging 60 a day and still have no idea when they will ship out the units.

"I'm suffering from the dreaded upgrade bug"
post #283 of 6754 Old 05-14-2008, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm in for two... after all, it was my original post!
post #284 of 6754 Old 05-14-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscave View Post

Just preordered the dtvpal from Provantage. Lady told me they originally thought they would only sell around 6 a day. They are averaging 60 a day and still have no idea when they will ship out the units.

When I ordered mine today, the rep told me they expect to ship in late June. She knew right away what I wanted when I said DTV-Pal. Will be interesting when I get it to compare with my current Zenith box. My only concern, since I am in a very weak signal area, that the analog pass-through might swallow a few decibels. My Zenith is just fine, no complaints.
post #285 of 6754 Old 05-14-2008, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is anyone else annoyed that they stopped updating their status site as of April 21st?

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/dtvcoupon/status.html

I plan to order coupons later in the year (waiting for TR40), but I didn't want to wait too long. Now that they don't update the stats anymore, judging this becomes difficult.

I emailed one coupon program contact and got a lame canned reply about how to order coupons, and I also emailed the doc.gov webmaster. That has been ignored so far. Good enough for government work, I guess.
post #286 of 6754 Old 05-14-2008, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
yes, annoying. As of May 9th, they had 13,369,292, so the rate is up but not bad yet. You can still see the data if you download a spreadsheet, zip or state. They are 5 days behind on updating these, but usually they keep updating these even when they haven't updated the status page.
post #287 of 6754 Old 05-15-2008, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbios View Post

Most likely your local PBS station (or CBS according to this article: http://www.multichannel.com/index.as...leid=CA6435011).

I can definitly live with the ads (wouldn't surprise me if dish slips a few ads in there...). It's still better than what's out there now.

why can't this be the standard for all boxes
post #288 of 6754 Old 05-15-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Thank you, rat. I fully admit it is tempting. My last voucher expires 6/18. If nothing better comes along by then I may flip a coin to decide between the Zenith and taking a chance pre-ordering the DTVpal. I do want it to be real and successful, because I really want the TR-50 (or what ever they rename it to).

mine expire 06/23/08...but I decided to go ahead and buy them. I guess there is a possibility these will be available in store by then, but it was just $16.35 so i decided to jump on it even though it could be free in stores in late june. I don't think the TR-50 qualifies for the coupon though from what I read a long time ago.

It's weird how it says on this site http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/DISH_Network_DTVPal.html
"you cannot pre-order the dtvpal"
post #289 of 6754 Old 05-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Manufactures have to pay a royalty to use this type of EPG and because of these royalties it is not standard for all boxes.

The TVGUIDE EPG gets its money from the royalty and advertisements.

EZdigital is saying that "you cannot pre-order the dtvpal" because Provantage is hoping/gambling that it can send all of these pre-orders within 60 days from when they were ordered. They are not using the SDR method of redeming coupons either.

Other retailers are afraid to have another ConvertMy.tv happen when it was allowing pre-orders of the MaxMedia.
post #290 of 6754 Old 05-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbios View Post

I'll be shocked if the guide looks like that. I had the guide on my old DVD recorder and it's alot more than just an "Event Timer".
But, I'm gambling my card and getting on the pre-order list anyway.

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

post #291 of 6754 Old 05-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaplikeafox View Post

I don't think the TR-50 qualifies for the coupon though from what I read a long time ago.

It doesn't qualify because of its features. You recall correctly.
post #292 of 6754 Old 05-15-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:

EZdigital is saying that "you cannot pre-order the dtvpal" because Provantage is hoping/gambling that it can send all of these pre-orders within 60 days from when they were ordered. They are not using the SDR method of redeming coupons either.

Other retailers are afraid to have another ConvertMy.tv happen when it was allowing pre-orders of the MaxMedia.

thanks for the info. I also have another question and I'm sorry if it has already been answered. From what I gathered, provantage will take the pre-order but they do not actually charge the card until they get it in stock for shipping. They just authorize the card for charges? My coupons expire in June 23rd, but I just realized they are supposed to be in stores in late June for $40. So I guess we have to pay extra to pre-order + shipping. I was wondering if it does indeed show up in stores in June would I be able to cancel my pre-order and use my coupons in store or will they be invalid because they have already been authorized by Provantage.

Thanks!
post #293 of 6754 Old 05-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

I hope the guide will look similar to the above picture with the nice channel display on the side it may look like the one I posted before.

I did however find that Gemstar has a interactive demo

Don't forget to press MENU on the demo to see how you would set reminders and edit channels.

I do wonder if it will have an over the air update however with Macrovision's Acquisition of Gemstar on 05/02/08 to change the look and feel or if they will leave it alone.
post #294 of 6754 Old 05-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't pre-ordered from provantage and can't answer for sure.

Someone who has could check to see if there coupon was redeemed or not at https://www.dtv2009.gov/CheckStatus.aspx by entering in their coupon.

If it was redeemed then you are stuck with provantage but should be able to switch to another CECB with them.

ConvertMy.TV did this by asking people to switch to the Sansonic.
post #295 of 6754 Old 05-15-2008, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess it's already redeemed cause it says "Your Coupon has been used to purchase a converter box and is no longer active."
post #296 of 6754 Old 05-15-2008, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

And it is for this reason that I'd be very cautious pre ordering from Provantage at this time. The demand has been a lot more than they expected, and I would wager there is a significant risk that the supply of the boxes won't be able to meet the demand. This could turn into a real mess in a few months...

I have two coupons expiring July 7th, and am now leaning towards buying a couple more Insignias. If the DTV Pal turns out to be as good as it claims to be, I'll be happy to pay full price for them.
post #297 of 6754 Old 05-15-2008, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Provantage and convertmy.tv are in two different leagues... If something like that happened, I have no doubt Provantage would take care of their customers.
post #298 of 6754 Old 05-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

I agree that Provantage and convertmy.tv are in two different leagues but who knows if their DTVPal supply can meet their pre-orders demand.

What happens if they can't meet the 90 days NTIA rule, I am wondering if they will ask customers to switch to another CECB or if they can let you wait until a DTVPal becomes available.
post #299 of 6754 Old 05-16-2008, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Although you never can rule out some people's lack of common sense, I would assume that since we're dealing with two established companies such as ProVantage and Echostar that a) ProVantage would have enough sense to ascertain how many boxes they'll actually be able to get and not pre-sell more than that and b) Echostar has a good enough handle on their production capacity to supply a relatively accurate number to them. But hey, I routinely see companies bigger than these make truly boneheaded decisions so who knows. Nevertheless, unless this turns out to be vaporware (which seems unlikely) then I'd think the worst that could happen would be a delay. What really pisses me off is all of this could be avoided if they had simply extended the expirations like they were considering. I think it's appalling there are soldiers overseas serving their country who are gonna get shafted on these 90 day cards!
post #300 of 6754 Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythSpell View Post

I think it's appalling there are soldiers overseas serving their country who are gonna get shafted on these 90 day cards!

I think expiring $40 coupons for CECB's are the least of our soldiers concerns. They've got bigger fish to fry.

Regarding provantage.com, I placed an order today for the DTVpal. I was told they would ship mid June. This coincides with solidsignal.com's claim that they will ship June 16th.

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page