post #5701 of 6754 Old 02-06-2009, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafi1 View Post

Has anyone heard of any new info on the TVGOS data transmission?
I know Congress just delayed the transition but I'm wondering if Macrovision(Gemstar)/Echostar are any closer to deploying it for all of us that bought the TR40/DTVPal/DTVPal Plus for the TVGOS functionality.

Their original plan may have gone out the window with the analog shutdown delay. They have to keep analog going now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 6754 Old 02-06-2009, 02:10 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

Their original plan may have gone out the window with the analog shutdown delay. They have to keep analog going now.

That's basically what I was hoping for rumors about:-) The last I'd heard they (might/maybe/perhaps not) have the TVGOS data deployed in time for the Feb 17th date. I'm mostly wondering if anyone had heard if they were ever going to have a real deployment date, and now with the date being June if anyone inside has updated rumors on development and deployment of the TVGOS data to the participating digital CBS stations.
post #5703 of 6754 Old 02-07-2009, 11:34 AM

The DELAY is not signed yet. You can post your comments to President Obama at:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing_room/dtv_delay_act/

FYI, The current description of this avenue of communication on the Whitehouse website is:
Update on Sunlight Before Signing

As we've noted on the blog, the President has signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act and the Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act. We've also published the DTV Delay Act of 2009.

Since a few questions have come in, we want to update you on the President's campaign commitment to introducing more sunlight into the lawmaking process by posting non-emergency legislation online for five days before signing it. This policy will be implemented in full soon; currently we are working through implementation procedures and some initial issues with the congressional calendar.

The President remains committed to bringing more transparency to government, and in this spirit the White House will continue to publish legislation expected to come to his desk online for public comment as it moves through Congress.
post #5704 of 6754 Old 02-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

post #5705 of 6754 Old 02-09-2009, 06:26 PM

I'm not sure I want to say "success" for fear I'm fooling myself somehow but last night it appears I was able to finally get digital TVGOS data into my v7 analog TVGOS device using my DTVPal. See the attached screen shot. The pertinent info about my setup and last night's results are:

Houston, TX
TVGOS zip code = 00010
DTVPal version F101
OTA
TVGOS device = Panasonic DMR-EH50 DVD recorder
Host channel 0x1f (31) (VBI search channel was locked to 31)
TVGOS version 7.01.32/7.06.12
DTVPal was turned on and in TVGOS mode, obviously

The listings I got included this morning (Monday), Wednesday evening and next Monday morning.

Unfortunately I didn't receive any more listings during the day today. It may be that none are ever sent during the day or maybe the system is still being worked on and thus isn't ready for prime time. Note that Jan J was not receiving TVGOS data from his DTVPal in Chicago last night when I was receiving data in Houston. It thus appears the data isn't everywhere yet making me think the system is still being tested.

Phil
LL
post #5706 of 6754 Old 02-10-2009, 12:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Phil,
That's awesome!
Keep us posted.
Go Aeros.
post #5707 of 6754 Old 02-10-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonsoohoo View Post

Phil,
That's awesome!
Keep us posted.
Go Aeros.

Overnight I received a lot more listings and now have at least a few every day for 8 days. Most days have completely filled in. There are still only listings for the 6 main channels so this may still be a work in progress by the TVGOS folks.
post #5708 of 6754 Old 02-10-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So maybe they (macromedia) did flip some switch to make the Pal work?
post #5709 of 6754 Old 02-10-2009, 10:37 AM

I notice that Echostar no longer claims that the TR40 and DTVPal+ will translate TVGOS data.

By the way, my TR40 (ordered direct from Echostar) failed after a couple of weeks. So I get the fun of sending it back.
post #5710 of 6754 Old 02-10-2009, 06:08 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pardee View Post

I notice that Echostar no longer claims that the TR40 and DTVPal+ will translate TVGOS data.

Doug, where are you seeing Echostar now no longer claiming that? Echostar certainly claimed it when we all bought it, as it is even in the manual.

Plus, the following Macrovision site is still live and sending people to Echostar for the DTVPal for TVGOS: http://www.macrovision.com/dtv/10053..._id=rightPromo.

So I hope that Macrovision and Echostar together get this product working, as it was jointly promoted by the two companies when we all bought it. I would not have spent the $59.99 to have purchased that box otherwise.

Hmm, Phil's post above is encouraging, though. Time for me to reconnect the antenna and DTVPal and see if I can at least get the TVGOS Clock signal I want most of all.
post #5711 of 6754 Old 02-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlemark View Post

Time for me to reconnect the antenna and DTVPal and see if I can at least get the TVGOS Clock signal I want most of all.

How can you tell if it's getting the TVGOS clock signal? Curious because I've never had problems with my clock being off and don't know whether it's my local stations having their act together or if just one has it right.

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #5712 of 6754 Old 02-10-2009, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

The TR-40 is back down to $40.01 at Solid Signal (right after I used my coupons elsewhere ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

And what, if anything, did we decide was "better" about the TR-40 (aside from the price)?

Quote:

Compared to what?

The point of the post was to inform folks that they can get a very popular CECB for the cost of shipping vs. the crazy previous price of 59.99 and even lower than the 44.99 they charged till last week.

You seem to be taking offense where there was none. I simply asked, now that the 40 was being brought up, what (if any) superiority it had over the basic DTVPal.

It was also several days ago. Take it easy, guy!
post #5713 of 6754 Old 02-10-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post

How can you tell if it's getting the TVGOS clock signal? Curious because I've never had problems with my clock being off and don't know whether it's my local stations having their act together or if just one has it right.

Oh to test that, I reset the analog TVGOS enabled TV completely as I must on very rare occasions for assorted reasons. (And so will inevitably still be necessary someday in the future after my PBS station is no longer providing the analog TVGOS VBI data. ) This drops all data on the TVGOS Screen of the TV, including its clock. (There are also ways to reset just the TVGOS data, but a TV reset is easier, and is simulating what I may need some day.)

Then I put the DTVPal in TVGOS mode and set up the TV per the instructions in the DTVPal manual for my Zipcode. After waiting overnight with the TV powered off, I see if the TVGUIDE onscreen has picked up the current time again at the top. Note: This is a different clock than you can manually program into the TV.

By the way, the reason I want at least the Clock signal, is that it will allow me at least do a manual record of local channels with my good ol' Toshiba Symbio device, that has a Firewire to the TVGOS enabled Toshiba TV. The Symbio captures a perfect digital copy when the TV uses a cable card, or when receiving digital broadcasts OTA. (It can pause live TV even without a clock time in the TV"s TVGOS data). I am ditching Comcast this week, and Verizon FIOS is due to install day after tomorrow, who can also provide a cable card. The DTVPal's purpose was to give me a way to still get an analog TVGOS signal of at least the clock (translated from the CBS station's digital TVGOS signal), once PBS stops broadcasting it in analog.
post #5714 of 6754 Old 02-10-2009, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlemark View Post

Oh to test that, I reset the analog TVGOS enabled TV completely as I must on very rare occasions for assorted reasons....
Then I put the DTVPal in TVGOS mode and set up the TV per the instructions in the DTVPal manual for my Zipcode. After waiting overnight with the TV powered off, I see if the TVGUIDE onscreen has picked up the current time again at the top. Note: This is a different clock than you can manually program into the TV.

As far as I can tell (not knowing how your TV works), this is also a different clock than Whidbey is talking about, because the DTVPal does not GET the TVGOS time (or any TVGOS data). Instead, it DETECTS the TVGOS data (if available) and then takes as its time signal the PSIP time of the station with the TVGOS data!

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #5715 of 6754 Old 02-11-2009, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
avnstf, you are forgetting that in TVGOS mode, the pal/40 becomes a translator device between digital and analog TVGOS. You are talking about the behavior of the box in regular mode.

I love the digital transition. The voices in my head just say 0 and 1 now.
post #5716 of 6754 Old 02-11-2009, 11:22 AM

Just thought I would report that I am getting TVGuide listings via a Dish TR-40 v103 through the composite video output to a Toshiba RD-XS34 analog only DVR.
The signal is from the channel 3 (digital channel 2, DVR channel 131) CBS affiliate in Kalamazoo Michigan.
The DVR is not hooked up to a cable system or ota antenna.
post #5717 of 6754 Old 02-11-2009, 04:40 PM

Longmont, Colorado K-Mart has both Zenith DTT901(s) and DTV Pal Plus(s) on their shelf
post #5718 of 6754 Old 02-11-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman_ba View Post

avnstf, you are forgetting that in TVGOS mode, the pal/40 becomes a translator device between digital and analog TVGOS. You are talking about the behavior of the box in regular mode.

no, I'm not forgetting, and I WAS talking about the box in normal mode because I'm pretty sure that's what Whidbey was talking about when he asked about getting a good clock for his Pal

TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #5719 of 6754 Old 02-11-2009, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamyers99a View Post

Just thought I would report that I am getting TVGuide listings via a Dish TR-40 v103 through the composite video output to a Toshiba RD-XS34 analog only DVR.
The signal is from the channel 3 (digital channel 2, DVR channel 131) CBS affiliate in Kalamazoo Michigan.
The DVR is not hooked up to a cable system or ota antenna.

great! you're about the 5th or 6th person reporting from different areas of the country (including those posting on other threads)! So maybe it's in most of the country and I should try it, even if it means losing the week's listings I have on my LG3410a...

post #5720 of 6754 Old 02-11-2009, 10:15 PM

I am very happy to report that my DTVPal started passing TVGOS information today. I reset it up again a couple of days ago after reading about a few others' good fortune in this forum recently. I did the setup / experiment I described back in post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15495386 , so that I had another analog non-TVGOS TV hooked up the DTVPal's RF output, while the DTVPal's Composite was set up to the TVGOS Toshiba 42HP95. After I did the TVGOS setup using the info in the DTVPal manual using the G-link/blaster, then powered off the 42HP95, I saw the DTVPal's light blinking and the other TV switching channels. Eventually it stopped on Kiro's Channel 7-1, which is the CBS affiliate in the Seattle Area that is broadcasting the digital TVGOS data. It stayed on that channel all day. After several hours, I turned on the 42hP95 tonight, and the TVGOS clock was finally set! The channel lineup is showing a huge number of channels I think from all over the Pacific Northwest States. When I used the TVGOS screen to switch to the ones for Seattle, unfortunately at least one major channel is mixed up. Maybe some twiddling in the TVGOS screens will help me get everything straightened out.

By the way, the channel numbers in the TVGOS display (and on the TV's screen) are displaying the Scientific Atlanta numbering scheme described in Frank70's post last year at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post14567617. After switching to that number, the DTVPal display shows both numbers. For example 151, and 5-1.

Maybe by tomorrow, I will get some listings too. This is almost as exciting as the fact that my FIOS is finally being installed tomorrow by Verizon and replacing Comcast! With a TVGOS clock signal my Toshiba Symbio will be able to still record shows, even after the inevitable full TV reset some day after the local PBS station stops transmitting the analog TVGOS data. A set TVGOS clock will allow at least a "manual record" (which is like with a VCR scheduled recording process) on the Symbio that is firewired to the 42HP95. If I get accurate TVGOS listings, I would be able to even do an "automatic record" with the Symbio that would use the listings.
post #5721 of 6754 Old 02-12-2009, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf View Post

no, I'm not forgetting, and I WAS talking about the box in normal mode because I'm pretty sure that's what Whidbey was talking about when he asked about getting a good clock for his Pal

My bad! I was skimming the thread and only really read seattlemark's post, not Whidbey's. You are correct, sir!

I love the digital transition. The voices in my head just say 0 and 1 now.
post #5722 of 6754 Old 02-12-2009, 05:22 PM

This topic got my attention, I have eh55 that I been getting the guide with via direct tv for 3 years, last 2 months its been gone.

Went to kmart got the dtvpal.

Outside Ant. rf to direct tv reciever, then rf out of reciever to dtvpal, then to eh55.

I get the denver locals.

I will let all know if I have success.

Anyone else use this with direct tv? What were your results? Later Bruce
post #5723 of 6754 Old 02-13-2009, 12:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCallen View Post

Outside Ant. rf to direct tv reciever, then rf out of reciever to dtvpal, then to eh55.

You did reset the EH55's TVGOS using the "special zipcode" according to the manual, right?
post #5724 of 6754 Old 02-13-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

You did reset the EH55's TVGOS using the "special zipcode" according to the manual, right?

Yes, no work. The only listings I got was for my over the air locals on the dtvpal (no guide on my eh55), and they came in quick just as soon as I finsihed set up I check the guide and had them.

I read last night on page 23 of the user guide, that it will not work with satelitte services, so I took it back to Kmart and got a refund, as I have 2 RCA converters.

I am bummed out, I miss the guide.

Bruce
post #5725 of 6754 Old 02-14-2009, 03:48 PM

Got DTVPal Plus (106), started great, not too bad on PQ, good guide and features. But it keeps getting locked up. Either will not turn on, and if on after a while will become 'stuck' on current channel. Some time will become active again, after LONG wait or I just have to pull the plug. I really bought it for long TV Guide and abiltiy to pass TVGOS for my Pan-E85 DVR, but it cant even stay working more than few hours without locking up, is this a common preblem? Sould I try an exchange or try plain Pal?

You got to be nuts; you want me to pay to watch commercials?
post #5726 of 6754 Old 02-14-2009, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
I would exchange it for another Plus model first.
post #5727 of 6754 Old 02-14-2009, 04:41 PM

Thanks, will try another unit and report back. I have not read many users reporting this issue. Or may be I got DTV Pal DVR by mistake .... ;-)

post #5728 of 6754 Old 02-14-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCallen View Post

Yes, no work. The only listings I got was for my over the air locals on the dtvpal (no guide on my eh55), and they came in quick just as soon as I finsihed set up I check the guide and had them.

I read last night on page 23 of the user guide, that it will not work with satelitte services, so I took it back to Kmart and got a refund, as I have 2 RCA converters.

I am bummed out, I miss the guide.

Bruce

I put my DTVPal back into TVGOS mode and set up my DMR-EH50 with the dummy zipcode 00020 for Denver and the Scientific Atlanta codes to control the box via the G-link. Set the channel to the local CBS affilate - after 24 hours still no lock on the CBS affiliate as the host channel and no guide info. I'll leave it till tomorrow before I switch it back to analog source. Doesn't look like any digital info is being broadcast via KCNC yet (the CBS affiliate in Denver which is on the list to provide the TVGOS data).
post #5729 of 6754 Old 02-14-2009, 06:29 PM

I am bummed out, I miss the guide

Agree, and $40 from Government is too tiny a compensation for this mess.

post #5730 of 6754 Old 02-15-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafi1 View Post

I put my DTVPal back into TVGOS mode and set up my DMR-EH50 with the dummy zipcode 00020 for Denver and the Scientific Atlanta codes to control the box via the G-link. Set the channel to the local CBS affilate - after 24 hours still no lock on the CBS affiliate as the host channel and no guide info. I'll leave it till tomorrow before I switch it back to analog source. Doesn't look like any digital info is being broadcast via KCNC yet (the CBS affiliate in Denver which is on the list to provide the TVGOS data).

I have talked with CBS, got to talk with an engineer, he said that there digital signal was carring the guide.

I doubt the dtvpal will work, since the user manual said it was not for stellite systems, but hey let us know if you have success (manuals have been wrong before), my eh55 is very close to your eh50.

Later Bruce
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page