post #5761 of 6754 Old 02-19-2009, 02:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popatim View Post

Lastly, not Pal related, but does anyone have a source for reasonably priced 3576/H2160? After reading these were the last of the decent HDD recorders I'm seriously kicking myself for not grabbing one from Walmart while they had them.

You may still find those available, but if worse comes to worst, and you're only interested in OTA, you could always do something like order the Panasonic EH67 from World-Import.com, and add a CECB with internal timers to it (like the DTV Pal, or better yet, the Zinwell Zat-950A, which the timers are actually more dependable on).

The Panny's actually a better recorder than those other two models, anyway.

(Or, if you can get to Canada, you could get a Pioneer or Sony HDD model with an NTSC tuner and use it the same way.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 6754 Old 02-19-2009, 03:23 PM

Liked: 10
[quote=avnstf;15859003]Hi...
I'm sensitive to this issue, because I have one high-def DVR (an LG3410a) that is version 7 (purchased in 2005) and will only accept analog TVGOS, and hence will need the DTVPal to work when the analog TVGOS broadcasts disappear...is this your situation?

I have a Toshiba 50HPX95 TV with TVGOS version 8. Toshiba says it won't work with the digital TVGOS transmissions despite having an ATSC tuner, so I am trying the DTVPal+. As I understand it, a TVGOS device must receive and decode the digital TVGOS data by supporting ANSI/SCTE 127:2007 “Carriage of Vertical Blanking Interval (VBI) Data in North American Digital Television Bitstreams,” Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers, Exton, PA, 2007. http://www.scte.org -- which carries legacy data that can be decoded from the digital data and inserted into an analog signal like the DTVPAL+ does. Different manufacturers probably started supporting this standard a different times. As for the Sony, I recall seeing something about it being able to be programmed to use a test code as a back door to get their earlier devices to decode the digital TVGOS signal.

I am receiving the signal OK with the DTVPal+ -- it is just that all the channels are assigned to Cable Box and I no longer get OTA listings to receive HDTV.
post #5763 of 6754 Old 02-19-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmucklow View Post

I have a Toshiba 50HPX95 TV with TVGOS version 8. Toshiba says it won't work with the digital TVGOS transmissions despite having an ATSC tuner, so I am trying the DTVPal+. As I understand it, a TVGOS device must receive and decode the digital TVGOS data by supporting ANSI/SCTE 127:2007 “Carriage of Vertical Blanking Interval (VBI) Data in North American Digital Television Bitstreams,” Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers, Exton, PA, 2007. http://www.scte.org -- which decodes the digital data and inserts it into an analog signal. Different manufacturers probably started supporting this standard a different times. As for the Sony, I recall seeing something about it being able to be programmed to use a test code as a back door to get their earlier devices to decode the digital TVGOS signal.

I am receiving the signal OK with the DTVPal+ -- it is just that all the channels are assigned to Cable Box and I no longer get OTA listings to receive HDTV.

hmm...thanks for the info

As far as the Sony (another version 8 device) is concerned, there is a so-called G* test that can be used on a digital TVGOS channel to perform a one-time download (leaving the unit ON) of digital data from that channel. However, our understanding from Ken H, as delineated in a thread about this (cf. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post15249933) is that Gemstar is working on a solution that will enable digital-tuner devices such as the Sony to automatically start receiving TVGOS data from digital stations, and THAT is how the Sony's problem will be solved.

This would almost automatically require that the version 8 TVGOS firmware be upgraded to do this.

Do you have a way of checking some diagnostic menu to determine what your Toshiba's current firmware version is? If it matches the current version 8 firmware on the Sony, this should imply that your device has been upgrading, so that it presumably could be FURTHER upgraded with whatever firmware upgrade Gemstar is still developing.

Of course, if there is no TVGOS that you can currently receive, they won't be able to push that firmware version to your TV...a catch 22 that's nasty (I guess that's what a catch 22 always is).

But you might want to look at that thread, anyway...though I'm afraid it does NOT say exactly what devices this would apply to OR how Gemstar would accomplish this in different circumstances...

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #5764 of 6754 Old 02-19-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf View Post

Do you have a way of checking some diagnostic menu to determine what your Toshiba's current firmware version is? If it matches the current version 8 firmware on the Sony, this should imply that your device has been upgrading, so that it presumably could be FURTHER upgraded with whatever firmware upgrade Gemstar is still developing.

The original TVGOS version in my Toshiba 50HPX95 was 8.01.53. The current version is 8.05.40. So, the TVGOS was updated somehow -- at least with patches. My DTVPal+ has version 106 something. Also, The ANSI/SCTE 127 standard allows legacy services to be carried on a VBI signal regardles of transmited format. The DTVPal+ decodes ATSC data and inserts it into an NTSC signal. I should have been more clear in my original post.
post #5765 of 6754 Old 02-19-2009, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anyone RECENTLY sent in a Pal with pre-105 s9ftware and had DISH/ECHOSTAR replace it with a 105 or 106? (Or have they stopped doing that?)
post #5766 of 6754 Old 02-19-2009, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The original TVGOS version in my Toshiba 50HPX95 was 8.01.53. The current version is 8.05.40. So, the TVGOS was updated somehow -- at least with patches. My DTVPal+ has version 106 something. Also, The ANSI/SCTE 127 standard allows legacy services to be carried on a VBI signal regardles of transmited format. The DTVPal+ decodes ATSC data and inserts it into an NTSC signal. I should have been more clear in my original post.

I'm pretty sure that the Sonys had an original version that was 8.01.42, but for quite a long time (at LEAST most of a year) the current version has been 8.06.44. Assuming you had recently been receiving analog TVGOS data, I would have guessed it would be the same. On the other hand, if you've been getting data via a Pal, it is CONCEIVABLE that - for some reason - that would have changed it. In either case, I can't pretend to really know why they would be different from the current version on the Sony.

(However, I do seem to recall that SOMEONE said there was a minimum firmware upgrade that would permit direct digital reception of TVGOS data (i.e., WITHOUT the intervention of a Pal), and - just speculation - perhaps the Pal supplied version is the base version that would then permit direct use of digital data....this would actually make some degree of sense, i.e., just stepping up the firmware to the point where your unit could then go it alone, and therefore wouldn't be limited by the setup required by the Pal.

Ha...in the case of the Sony, some of us were actually wondering if that would be a fall-back position that would work after analog TVGOS disappears and an inadvertent reset of the TVGOS kicked one back to the original firmware, which DOESN'T handle digital TVGOS itself. In that case, use of the Pal OUGHT to be designed to bring the unit back up to a version that DOES permit digital reception! It would be a real hoot (and relief) if that fallback position were actually available through the Pal, assuming - of - course that one can then go back into one's TVGOS unit and go through the setup -choosing NON-cable box and one's REAL zip code - without reverting to the orginal firmware version.

Sorry for all the speculation...but presumably there IS a digital TVGOS station available to you (since that's the one where your Pal is getting its specialized TVGOS data from)...since many of us have demonstrated that version 8 TVGOS on the Sony IS capable of receiving digital TVGOS, provided it has a sufficiently recent TVGOS firmware version (and despite the denials of Sony Corporation itself), MAYBE the same is true of YOUR device. And, I'm NOT talking about use of the G* test...I'm talking about just letting the unit work on its own.

How long have you been without TVGOS data, anyway? I still think your device should have been getting upgraded TVGOS firmware on its own...so all of my speculation doesn't make much sense, if your unit - given that it is version 8 - should have switched to digital anyway, within several days of losing analog TVGOS data.

Oh, well, I give up - but I am intrigued by the fact that Toshiba told YOU the same thing that Sony told us (proving they were ridiculously ignorant of their own device, but not surprising in a corporation that was no longer supporting something they only sold 3 years ago)...

TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #5767 of 6754 Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So neither the Dish DTVPal nor the Echostar TR40 CRA are available @ DTVPal.com anymore. Will the TR40 CRA come back in stock, or has it been discontinued like the original DTVPal?
post #5768 of 6754 Old 02-20-2009, 02:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think they have both been discontinued. But the DTV Pal Plus can be found at Kmart for the same price they were selling the old model for (maybe Sears, too, since that's Kmart - I haven't checked).
post #5769 of 6754 Old 02-20-2009, 02:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

One thing about the Pal getting the OTA digital TVGOS data - it possibly might not get anything but the person's main market channels. That means, no out of market ones, and it's highly unlikely to get any cable/satellite channels, like you used to be able to get with the OTA analog versions, even when setting up for strictly OTA.

For people that are right in between markets, or have more than one still considered "main", I don't know what the situation will be like. But I would think you would get those.

Either way, I have a suspicion that it will be limited from what you've been getting with analog up 'till now.

This would be for the "special" data available to the DTV Pal, if there is such a thing. As far as what the Pal DVR, or any of the LCD's that are out now with the digital guide get, I don't know.

A usual, this is only a "feeling" that I'm going on.
post #5770 of 6754 Old 02-20-2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

One thing about the Pal getting the OTA digital TVGOS data - it possibly might not get anything but the person's main market channels. That means, no out of market ones, and it's highly unlikely to get any cable/satellite channels, like you used to be able to get with the OTA analog versions, even when setting up for strictly OTA.

I reset the TVGOS system in my Toshiba TV yesterday. Last night the DTVPal+ downloaded TVGOS Cable Box Channel Lineup 0x1238, consisting of 672 cable box channels, into the channel editor of my Toshiba TV. This seems to be the cable channels for a large region around the Washington, DC/Hagerston, MD region -- including local channels from both Washington and Baltimore, MD that would be on local cable systems.

This is using the magic zip code of 00007 from the DTVPal+ manual, which I suspect represents all stations in the area defined as the Washington, DC/Hagerstown, MD TV market, which is number 7 on the standardized lists. And again, I cannot change the "Cable Box" to "Air" for the local channels with the channel editor -- the source selections are all grayed out and fixed to "Cable Box" -- which is analog 480i only.

Unfortunately, the cable box listings were the only channel lineup downloaded. No over the air channel lineup was downloaded -- which is probably what I need for "Air".

We will see what happens with future downloads. No program listings were downloaded last night, but cable box program listings had been downloading before the reset. But, again, with everything locked to the "Cable Box".

SeattleMark, what do you get?
post #5771 of 6754 Old 02-20-2009, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Has anyone RECENTLY sent in a Pal with pre-105 s9ftware and had DISH/ECHOSTAR replace it with a 105 or 106? (Or have they stopped doing that?)

I was told a few weeks ago that there was an 8 week backlog for exchanging DTV Pal's. I have two RMA's established but was told to wait. I'll attempt to get an update next week.
post #5772 of 6754 Old 02-20-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I reset the TVGOS system in my Toshiba TV yesterday. Last night the DTVPal+ downloaded TVGOS Cable Box Channel Lineup 0x1238, consisting of 672 cable box channels, into the channel editor of my Toshiba TV. This seems to be the cable channels for a large region around the Washington, DC/Hagerston, MD region -- including local channels from both Washington and Baltimore, MD that would be on local cable systems...
Unfortunately, the cable box listings were the only channel lineup downloaded. No over the air channel lineup was downloaded -- which is probably what I need for "Air".

Hi...when you say you "reset" the TVGOS system in your TV, what do you mean?

Aside from that question, if the present setup continues to "lock" you in to nothing but the analog output of the Pal, I'll tell you what I would try if I were you...basically what I mentioned in part of my longer post above, but only assuming your TVs TVGOS continues to show the updated TVGOS firmware you mentioned before:

I would try to see what happens if you partially disengage your TV from its current setup:

1. First I would change your TVGOS setting in the TV to back to OTA, but leaving the "fake" zip code...it is possible that you would still GET the TVGOS listings from the DTVPal, but that you would be able to TUNE your TV to your regular digital OTA channel numbers. This would mean that TVGOS was only partly working for you, but you would have the program info corresponding to your OTA channels (and perhaps cable channels as well) in your TV Guide screen, though they would have those fake channel numbers...however, they WOULD be labeled also by the Network names you are used to and you would be able to tune your TV directly to the right digital channels...you just couldn't tune from the TVGOS screen (which I never do anyway, on my Sony or my LG3410a).

I wouldn't try that until your present setup stabilizes AND only if you are convinced that your present setup will continue to lock you out of getting digital reception.

2. If you DO try 1, and it turns out favorably, you MIGHT try to change one or two of the fake channel numbers to the actual channel numbers that you presumably have seen before. Then wait and see if the DTVPal updates the listings for all the channels as usual. I have no idea what will happen....the TV Guide in your TV may choke completely, or it may only update the channels that still have the fake channel listings OR it might update everything...if it DOES, then you could EITHER go the whole way and change ALL the fake channel numbers to the digital OTA equivalent, and see if things continue to work.

3. Finally, if all is working, you might try to TUNE from the TV Guide - assuming your TV has that capability. (This would greatly interest those of us who also RECORD from the TV Guide on high-def DVRs, because if you can tune to the digital station, we can probably record from it, too...)

I won't be offended if you DON'T try even 1, but if you find you continue to be locked out of using your TV digitally, then there's no harm in trying at least number 1.

(Frankly, based on your experience, when I get the nerve to try the DTVPal again with my LG 3410a, which has version 7 TVGOS, I think the FIRST thing I will try is just to put the Pal in PARALLEL with my antenna to a single input, and leave the 3410a setup unchanged, to see if the Pal ALSO converts the REGULAR TVGOS data from out local digital TVGOS station...for those of us with digital units that CAN'T convert to getting TVGOS digitally, maybe the solution (even the planned one by Gemstar) is to convert the REGULAR TVGOS data - which of course has OTA channels labeled by things like 5-1 - to analog form for input to our devices...)

post #5773 of 6754 Old 02-20-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Hi...when you say you "reset" the TVGOS system in your TV, what do you mean?

(Frankly, based on your experience, when I get the nerve to try the DTVPal again with my LG 3410a, which has version 7 TVGOS, I think the FIRST thing I will try is just to put the Pal in PARALLEL with my antenna to a single input, and leave the 3410a setup unchanged, to see if the Pal ALSO converts the REGULAR TVGOS data from out local digital TVGOS station...for those of us with digital units that CAN'T convert to getting TVGOS digitally, maybe the solution (even the planned one by Gemstar) is to convert the REGULAR TVGOS data - which of course has OTA channels labeled by things like 5-1 - to analog form for input to our devices...)

I can tune the TV to OTA HD channels -- just not through the TVGOS system, so I cannot record HD. My setup is quite stable but Macrovision seems to be sending only a "Cable Box" channel lineup with both cable and OTA channels in it, which may be what limits the TVGOS to only "Cable Box" selections -- no OTA lineup is present. I have the Toshiba AVHD DVR attached to my Toshiba 50HPX95 via firewire and recorded and played back HDTV regularly, like others here, without the DTVPal, using the old analog OTA TVGOS data broadcast by PBS here.

I believe the Scientific Atlanta channel numbers are only used to tune the DTVPal+ to find the host channel. I initially had it set up without an IR Blaster, and it worked with the DTVPal just set permanently to the host channel.

My condo downconverts all digital OTA channels to VHF, and OTA and cable channels 2 to 13 are the same -- So, I may try setting the TV to OTA/cable instead of OTA/cable box, and attaching the the antenna to a "Cable" input and only the DTVPal RF output on the "Antenna" input with the DTVPal set to the host channel. I know setting one RF input to Cable and the other to Antenna will work with the TVGOS from previous experience. Hopefully, the TV will find the analog TVGOS host channel from the DTVPal on channel 3 -- and not find the old analog TVGOS data being broadcast on PBS analog channel 26 here. This more or less duplicates the experiment you are considering.

The trick is for the TVGOS to find only the host channel from the DTVPal and not the "real" analog host channel -- at least until June 12th. However, I fear the problem lies in what Macrovision is transmitting, not the system. I have received three TVGOS downloads and have one download to go in the 24 hour period since I reset the TVGOS using the TVGOS reset code that clears the data. Only a "Cable Box" lineup has been received so far according to the diagnostic screens. If OTA channels do not show up this afternoon, then the problem may be in what TVGOS is transmitting. Which they can fix, one would hope.
post #5774 of 6754 Old 02-20-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:

For people that are right in between markets, or have more than one still considered "main", I don't know what the situation will be like. But I would think you would get those.

Either way, I have a suspicion that it will be limited from what you've been getting with analog up 'till now.

This would be for the "special" data available to the DTV Pal, if there is such a thing. As far as what the Pal DVR, or any of the LCD's that are out now with the digital guide get, I don't know.

That would be interesting. I wonder how translators will be treated? I get a number of Denver channels OTA off the Lookout Mountain Tower(s). There are a couple that come in via translators for Boulder because of the mountain geography. I've always just mapped them in the Panny channel setup which doesn't always list the translator, using the best signal when both the original and translator come in. Some people have reported getting both the original and translator (18 and 24) and how they map or don't to the channel 6 id for Rocky Mtn PBS (KRMA) in the CECB's. While my reception is very constrained (close to the mountains), there are people in east Denver metro pulling stations from Cheyenne Wyoming with no problem.
post #5775 of 6754 Old 02-21-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:

The problem with the DTVPal is that it is ostensibly for devices that are pure analog, but it ought to permit use of the listings without restricting use of the digital OTA signal...I'm just hoping we can set it up that way for our LG3410a receiver/recorder, an interest that we share with you.

I set up the DTVPal+ up as a separate RF channel 3 input (instead of cable box) last night, and the DTVPal+ successfully downloaded both OTA and "cable ready" (not cable box) channel lineups and listings into the TV's TVGOS using the DTVPal+ channel 3 analog TVGOS data converted from the OTA digital host channel by the DTVPal+.

It turns out there are two different setups for the DTVPal/+ -- Here is what I have found out so far:

1) If you have a device (TV, VCR, DVD Recorder, DVR) with an analog NTSC ONLY tuner that depends on an analog NTSC signal for TVGOS data, then set up the DTVPal+ on the device according to the instructions in the manual -- with the DTVPal+ set to TVGOS mode using your normal zip code, and your device seeing it as a Scientific Atlanta cable box using the DTVPal+ manual zip code. The analog ONLY tuner in your device will be useless after the digital transition, and your device must use the tuner in the DTVPal+ as a cable box. This setup will use the Scientific Atlanta channel numbers reported by SeattleMark. I think the magic zip code for your device in the DTVPal manual puts ALL channels into the "Cable Box" listing so that analog only devices can receive OTA channels using the DTVPal+ after the digital transition.

Unfortunately, what the DTVPal+ manual does NOT tell you is:

2) If you have a device with an ATSC/NTSC or ATSC/NTSC/QAM tuner that depends on an analog NTSC signal for the TVGOS data, do NOT set up the DTVPal+ as a cable box. Connect the channel 3 or 4 RF output to your device, either as a separate input RF input, if available, or combined with your antenna input, and use your normal zip code on your device (not the zip code from the DTVPal+ manual). Using the DTVPAL+ remote, set the DTVPal+ to the digital TVGOS host channel for your area -- see

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=tvgos

and be sure to select the TVGOS mode from the DTVPal+ menu. Thus, the DTVPAL+ just appears as an analog channel to your device. This should allow the OTA ATSC and cable tuners in your device to function normally with normal channel numbers -- Hopefully, including TVGOS controlled HD DVRs.
post #5776 of 6754 Old 02-21-2009, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Not sure I understand. If you're just passing through the RF signal, and using your real zip code, then the recorder's probably downloading the analog guide.

If the pass-through's not enabled, then it couldn't be the analog guide.

So is the pass-through enabled in this setup or not?

(Darn, I wish I could experiment, but I can't receive CBS here right now.)
post #5777 of 6754 Old 02-21-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Not sure I understand. If you're just passing through the RF signal, and using your real zip code, then the recorder's probably downloading the analog guide.

If the pass-through's not enabled, then it couldn't be the analog guide.

So is the pass-through enabled in this setup or not?

The DTVPal+ must NOT be in analog pass through mode.

The digital ATSC TVGOS host stations and the analog TVGOS host stations all broadcast the same data now. The analog guide data will disappear with the analog stations at the digital transition June 12th or earlier.

To use the DTVPal+ to convert the digital ATSC host channel into an analog channel with the converted TVGOS data, the DTVPal+ also must be in the "TV Guide On Screen or Guide Plus" mode selected from the DTVpal setup menu. Select "Setup", then "System Setup", then "TV Guide", then "TV Guide and Guide +", and click "Continue" to set that mode.
post #5778 of 6754 Old 02-21-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I set up the DTVPal+ up as a separate RF channel 3 input (instead of cable box) last night, and the DTVPal+ successfully downloaded both OTA and "cable ready" (not cable box) channel lineups and listings into the TV's TVGOS using the DTVPal+ channel 3 analog TVGOS data converted from the OTA digital host channel by the DTVPal+.

great great GREAT!!! As I mentioned earlier, this is what I have been planning to try, AND since to do it one leaves the TVGOS unit's setup as it was, there's no fear of losing current listings, etc!!

This had always been my original plan...I guess it must mean that in TVGOS mode the Pal converts not only the special data associated with the "fake" zip codes, but also the normal digital TVGOS data...just what I had hoped. And I had been disappointed at preliminary info that this might not be possible...

I think I'll start setting up the Pal this weekend, and see if I need another splitter combiner to do it...of course, in my situation, my LG3410a may not FIND the channel 3 input immediately, because analog is still broadcasting around here (including the TVGOS data)...but the next time that screws up, maybe the unit will find channel 3 on it's OWN!

post #5779 of 6754 Old 02-21-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The DTVPal+ must NOT be in analog pass through mode.

The digital ATSC TVGOS host stations and the analog TVGOS host stations all broadcast the same data now. The analog guide data will disappear with the analog stations at the digital transition June 12th or earlier.

To use the DTVPal+ to convert the digital ATSC host channel into an analog channel with the converted TVGOS data, the DTVPal+ also must be in the TV Guide On Screen or Guide Plus mode selected from the DTVpal setup menu. Select "Setup", then "System Setup", then "TV Guide", then "TV Guide and Guide +", and click "Continue" to set that mode.

just to clarify 2 points...are you certain your unit is USING the TVGOS data from the Pal? I.e., have analog TVGOS broadcasts stopped in your area OR are you able to check the host channel on your TV and find that it is channel 3?
Thanks - Tony

post #5780 of 6754 Old 02-21-2009, 01:22 PM

I'm just getting around to connecting these two together.

How do I set-up the Panny configuration with the IR blaster? From the Setup menu, I select I have a cable box then I have to select which kind of cable box I have and then test. Which cable box do I select? The menu instructions after the program code test asks if the channel changed to channel 09. Since the DTVPal does not have a channel display (on the unit), how do I know if it changed to channel 09?

I'm confused here. Anyone here have the same setup and provide how I need to do this?

Thanks.
post #5781 of 6754 Old 02-21-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman View Post

How do I set-up the Panny configuration with the IR blaster? From the Setup menu, I select I have a cable box then I have to select which kind of cable box I have and then test. Which cable box do I select? The menu instructions after the program code test asks if the channel changed to channel 09. Since the DTVPal does not have a channel display (on the unit), how do I know if it changed to channel 09?

I have a Panasonic DMR-EH50 and had the same problem. You select a Scientific Atlanta cable box. Unfortunately there's more than one. On my device the code is 08 which was the 1st in the list. When you are doing the setup, if you have selected the correct code you will see the LED on the front of the DTVPal blink twice about 1-2 seconds apart as the Panny tries to change it to channel 09. This blinking occurs just before the Panny asks you if the channel changed. If you have the wrong code the DTVPal won't blink and you should answer that the channel didn't change and try another code.

Also note that once the TVGOS setup is complete you should be able to change channels on the DTVPal using the Panny's remote via the g-link. If the channel indeed changes then you picked the right code. Note that the g-link is very slow. It takes 1-2 seconds per digit then there's another 1-2 seconds before the channel actually changes.
post #5782 of 6754 Old 02-21-2009, 02:21 PM

Liked: 11
When in TVGOS mode, is the DTVPal supposed to output the converted TVGOS data to both its RF output as well as its composite output or just the RF output?

Has anyone who's seeing it on the RF output tested to see if it is also being sent out the composite output?

My Panny can receive the TVGOS data on either RF (analog) or composite (L3) and I'd prefer to use the composite....

Thanks,
MC

42HDX62A - V0102.0055
post #5783 of 6754 Old 02-21-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWMike View Post

My Panny can receive the TVGOS data on either RF (analog) or composite (L3) and I'd prefer to use the composite....

I have DTVPal (1.00) set up in TVGOS mode with a Panny on composite L3, with a blaster. I get listings since a few weeks back. The lineup is incomplete (only primary channels and a few semi-minor stations are missing altogether).

It works though. Channel surfing is like swimming through molasses, but that's the Panny's fault. There was one surprise about a week ago, when the TVGOS download somehow executed a cold reset of the TVGOS system and wiped out all my scheduled recordings and lineup modifications.

Alex
post #5784 of 6754 Old 02-21-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:

just to clarify 2 points...are you certain your unit is USING the TVGOS data from the Pal? I.e., have analog TVGOS broadcasts stopped in your area OR are you able to check the host channel on your TV and find that it is channel 3?
Thanks - Tony

Yes, my TV is using the analog channel of the DTVPal+ as the TVGOS host channel. I checked it in the TVGOS diagnostic screens in the TVGOS system on my TV. I also delete the analog PBS channel everywhere I can on my TV. And I leave the TV tuned to the DTVPal+ channel when I shut it off at night. In this area, the local PBS station broadcasting the analog TVGOS data decided to shut down their analog transmitter when the main TVGOS transmission takes place between 2 am and 6 am every night, so that makes it easier to find the DTVPal+ analog input and not the old analog PBS channel.

I plan to try another test using the DVDPal+ on the Video 1 composite input on the TV. It should work, but I have not tried it yet, so I did not mention using the composite input earlier.
post #5785 of 6754 Old 02-22-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:

The TVGOS diagnostic screens in my Toshiba TV show the original TVGOS version to be 8.01.53, and the current version to be 8.05.40. I have heard verbally that the TVGOS version required for ATSC is "eight one six five" -- I am not sure if that means 8.01.65 or 8.16.50. I understand that the upgrades are small patches that are wiped out and must be reloaded if you do a hard reset of the device.
Since my current version is above 8.01.65, I assume it should decode ATSC, if that is the correct number -- which it does not seem to do. So we need clarification on this.
post #5786 of 6754 Old 02-22-2009, 03:21 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

Yes, my TV is using the analog channel of the DTVPal+ as the TVGOS host channel. I checked it in the TVGOS diagnostic screens in the TVGOS system on my TV. And I leave the TV tuned to the DTVPal+ channel when I shut it off at night.

I plan to try another test using the DVDPal+ on the Video 1 composite input on the TV. It should work, but I have not tried it yet, so I did not mention using the composite input earlier.

I just bought a DTVPal PLUS today from Sears. Set it up according to your previous posts. Here's hoping tomorrow it has populated the TVGOS on my Mitsubishi LT-46231. I connected the DTVPal PLUS up to the MITS ANT2 input and made sure I enabled "TV Guide" on both the Mits and the DTVPal Plus.

One thing. Once I set up the DTVPal PLUS for TVGOS Guide Plus, I can't change the channels, make any other selections, or even turn it off with out it "warning me' that to do so will reboot it and return it to normal operation or something. IS this normal?
post #5787 of 6754 Old 02-22-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

One thing. Once I set up the DTVPal PLUS for TVGOS Guide Plus, I can't change the channels, make any other selections, or even turn it off with out it "warning me' that to do so will reboot it and return it to normal operation or something. IS this normal?

No, it is not normal. All units do it, though Seriously, it is a massive pain in the neck. I miss the ability to zoom the image the most.

There is a good reason not to allow changing channels since the channel selection on the DVDPal would get out of whack with the TV/DVR, loading the PSIP guide is also not appropriate, but why they don't let you zoom the flipping picture in TVGOS mode is beyond me.

Alex
post #5788 of 6754 Old 02-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The TVGOS diagnostic screens in my Toshiba TV show the original TVGOS version to be 8.01.53, and the current version to be 8.05.40. I have heard verbally that the TVGOS version required for ATSC is "eight one six five" -- I am not sure if that means 8.01.65 or 8.16.50. I understand that the upgrades are small patches that are wiped out and must be reloaded if you do a hard reset of the device.
Since my current version is above 8.01.65, I assume it should decode ATSC, if that is the correct number -- which it does not seem to do. So we need clarification on this.

Your TVGOS base build version needs to be 8.1.65 or higher in order for ATSC slicing to work, unless Macrovision is working on a setup and/or main patch that will "stick" after a system reset. I corrected my thread to reflect that (had erroneously put in 8.1.53).
post #5789 of 6754 Old 02-22-2009, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post

Your TVGOS base build version needs to be 8.1.65 or higher in order for ATSC slicing to work, unless Macrovision is working on a setup and/or main patch that will "stick" after a system reset. I corrected my thread to reflect that (had erroneously put in 8.1.53).

As noted in a comment on your thread, this directly contradicts what Magic 8 ball said about the Sony 250/500 digital TVGOS compatibility in HIS thread...

post #5790 of 6754 Old 02-23-2009, 08:41 AM

Liked: 24
For anyone interested, I HAD been getting TVGOS form the VBI signal provided by PBS (analog Ch.21) until last week. No more VBI TVGOS as of last week. CBS affiliates are able to offer the TVGOS data stream for viewers who have legacy TV's, DVRs, etc. Here's what WISC has to say:

Quote:
Quote:

[Me], CBS affiliates were “offered” this service. WISC TV has declined the service which wanted to use bits within our DTV data stream without compensation. The last word we got from the TVGOS company was that they were trying to find another DTV station in the market to carry the service.
Thanks for writing.

Leonard Charles

WISC TV

I purchased a DTVPal PLUS hoping to get digital TVGOS data stream to provide input for my Mitsubishi LT-46231.The DTVPal PLUS can convert the digital TVGOS data stream to a VBI signal for legacy products use. Now it seems I may have to try and see if WIFR (CBS) in Rockford is providing it.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page