Dish DTVPal / Echostar TR40 digital to analog converter - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am in WI and Dish's website local retailers list has AT&T (with an asterisk that states they don't sell equipment), Cellular Connection (phoned them and they don't sell equipment), Sears and Radio Shack.

I tried two Radio Shacks within a couple miles of each other.
#1 knew nothing about the DTV Pal, until I showed it to him on a website.
He had no listing showing under new products expected.

#2 Immediately knew the product that I was referring to and said, "Our Dish rep. told us about it, but Radio Shack hasn't decided if we will sell it. If we do it will be at least the middle of next month."

Neither store stocked any box, but would free ship the Digital Stream DTX 9950.

Beeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 06:08 PM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman_ba View Post

Do a local retailer search for Dorchester, WI 54425.

BTW, Dorchester is a town of about 842 people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFranchise View Post

I don't even see the place listed on the gov site.

See my posting above. They ARE on the government site.

I love the digital transition. The voices in my head just say 0 and 1 now.
post #1563 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

This Just In: DTVPal name changed again!

Now named CheesePal!
post #1564 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 07:00 PM

Liked: 11
I just got an email from Kloth Satellite saying my boxes would be shipped within 2 business days.
post #1565 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 07:19 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

Kloth had two ebay ads, one started with 100 boxes, lots left last I was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman_ba View Post

See my posting above. They ARE on the government site.

I was talking about the place I'm (hopefully) getting mine from. That Kloth place is north-central WI.

dagger666, there has been a test or two of it. Another forum has a review of it, but there is also... wait for it... a video review on youtube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4CZftKSCSPE
post #1566 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also got a response from the e-Bay seller. I had failed to include my expiration dates in the order. So if you're considering getting them from him, he needs: the long number, the three digit code on the back and the valid thru date.
post #1567 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDXTECH View Post

In the old days, FM tuners had Sensitivity Specs and you could tell which tuner was better in pulling in stations than the others. Is such a spec available for these units or is there ANY kind of spec that can be compared other than subjective evaluations?? I have not seen ANY kind of numbers in the reviews, just eyeballing, which is not too reliable. Thanks and Cheers.

Agree. None of the online review sites give hard numbers for alternate-channel selectivity, multipath rejection, RF sensitivity, and other objective measurable performance criteria.
post #1568 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy's dad View Post

Soon it will be less expensive to go out and by a new digital TV than to buy a DTVPal

This is exactly what happened with the "Stereo Ready" televisions when MTS was introduced. The adapters cost over $200 and were impossible to find.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #1569 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 07:36 PM

Now the only potential hose for the ebay and other early purchasers would be for the Dish phone and online sales to start offering the rumored "first two for $40" deal some time in the next few days.

Are Dish remotes usually pretty good? You don't have to aim them perfectly? The buttons are responsive, etc.?

Dagger666,
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2008-06/...vpal-giveaway/ (contest ended, but he links to videos and the other reviews)

Edit: Withdraw my question: For those of you with some converter boxes already, is "Dot Crawl" an issue? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_crawl

Reading some stuff shows the answer is yes, but also depends on TV's comb filter (or lack of one).
post #1570 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootymonger View Post

Are Dish remotes usually pretty good? You don't have to aim them perfectly? The buttons are responsive, etc.?

The Dish remote is generally good. I don't know about aiming because mine is RF.

The remote on the DTV Pal looks similar to the remote that I am using for a Dish Sat. receiver. If it lasts as long as my previous remotes, this will be a throw away box after a couple years. Or an aftermarket remote will need to be purchased.

Some regularly used buttons have failed on several I have bought and a used replacement is $25.00 for the Sat. receiver.

Beeper
post #1571 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 08:20 PM

To those of you who have ordered from the ebay site - have you checked the status of your coupons?
post #1572 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 08:39 PM

How would I check the status of my coupon? On the web page where I first requested them it only has a status for your application.
post #1573 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingement View Post

I just got my shipped notice for 2 DTVpals from CheapDigitalConverters.com (w/ UPS tracking #).

What's more is that I also got a personal call letting me know it was shipped today. I had called them yesterday after ordering to verify that my order had been processed since they showed 0 in stock immediately after ordering. It was nice of them to call.

The "look" of their web-site may not be perfect, but they provide good customer service.

That was my impression, and I haven't even ordered from them yet. The guy there has replied a half dozen times by e-mail to different questions I had. That's giving attention to your customers, even potential customers.
post #1574 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrob View Post

How would I check the status of my coupon? On the web page where I first requested them it only has a status for your application.

Just plug the coupons/card numbers in the reference number thing.
post #1575 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

If this is just a limited release they shouldn't have them around too long. They may never even have to lower their price.

It looks like the ones selling it are only getting so many in.

Kloth Satellite said they told him he could order another 300 immediately if he wanted to.
post #1576 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnied View Post

Just plug the coupons/card numbers in the reference number thing.

That just tells me when my coupons will be mailed (obviously giving a date a few weeks ago). Perhaps it will say something different once he sends my numbers in. I ordered this evening, but failed to give him the valid till dates; he then e-mailed me and I sent the data to him, but possibly after he was closed for the day. I'll check again in the morning.
post #1577 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:

That just tells me when my coupons will be mailed (obviously giving a date a few weeks ago). Perhaps it will say something different once he sends my numbers in. I ordered this evening, but failed to give him the valid till dates; he then e-mailed me and I sent the data to him, but possibly after he was closed for the day. I'll check again in the morning.

yeah well actually it works for the coupon whether its been processed yet as well.. Give it a shot. :P

John
post #1578 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:

That just tells me when my coupons will be mailed (obviously giving a date a few weeks ago). Perhaps it will say something different once he sends my numbers in.

You are correct. This means the coupons have not been used yet. They continue to give the projected mailing information until they are used or expire.

Anyone else out there who has ordered from ebay who gave complete information?

You'll see messages like what I pasted below once it/they is/are redeemed. I used one of mine and I let the other expire due to nothing worthwhile to purchase.

Coupon Status Found
Your Coupon has been used to purchase a converter box and is no longer active.

Additional Coupon Status
That Coupon has expired and has been deactivated.
post #1579 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualsensation View Post

I just ordered 2 from the guy on Ebay. Let's hope he is legit!

Love to hear there are people taking things with a little Faith!

As I mentioned earlier... Kloth Satellite LLC in Dorchester, WI 54425 is indeed a "legit" local Retailer accepting CECB coupons. I too didn't find it right away.

Unlike the "National" Retailers (Online/B&M/Telephone) that get TOP BILLING... You do need to search for these "local" retailers. If they are outside 50 miles you need a different ZIP to find them.

NTIA gives us all a list of our "local" Retailers (and National Retailers) near our ZIP when our Coupons arrive in the mail...

Just like with "CDC" cheapdigitalconverters.com (a Online CECB Retailer) some of us are/were a bit skeptical because of it's "poor" Web Design. The same skepticism could be said because a "local" (Mom & Pop) Retailer started offering DTVPALs on Ebay. While more National (TOP BILLING) Online DTVPAL Merchants are BURNED and left with ZERO!! Product to sell anywhere.

Mark one up for the little guys/gals! You don't have to be BB,CC,RS or Walmart to get a piece of the pie.
post #1580 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnied View Post

yeah well actually it works for the coupon whether its been processed yet as well.. Give it a shot. :P

John

Oh, I did, as i stated earlier. So far it's telling me when my coupons will be mailed. So the e-Bay seller has not processed them yet.
post #1581 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh, I did, as i stated earlier. So far it's telling me when my coupons will be mailed. So the e-Bay seller has not processed them yet.

Edit: Is this basically what the site said "Your application has been approved. Based on your application approval date of XX/XX/2008, your coupon(s) are/were scheduled to mail on XX/XX/2008."

That as you said should be "accurate" until the Coupons are used or expire.

If you are having issues with your Coupon(s) Status you might try the DTV 2009 Phone # and check your Status there. 1-888-DTV-2009 . It's automated so just follow the prompts and punch in your Coupon #. In case you need to check while away from a computer.
post #1582 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 09:54 PM

I called and spoke to Rene Solis. He had 2 units left. One was hooked up in his shop in E. Los Angeles, the other was just there on his desk. Since I live in LA, I drove down, picked it up, and hooked it up. $60 ($20 net cost after coupon).

I know there are probably tons of questions you have, so I'll await your replys. In general, its going to take time to get used to using a converter box. The picture is only as good as the antenna and location. I had to fiddle with my antenna, and I will probably get a new one over the weekend.

He told me that he had 10 units from his original shipment earlier in the week. He has another store in Santa Maria, in which he is getting the bulk of his units from tomorrow. Those of you who ordered from him will probably get your units shipped out tomorrow or Friday.

All of the reviews are pretty dead on.
post #1583 of 6754 Old 06-25-2008, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I love how cable and sat. companies liberally blurr the distinction between their over-compressed digital transmission of analog source material and real DTV.

The vast majority of signals on DBS and cable are delivered to those companies digitally. C- and Ku-band digital transmissions suffer few of the problems that overcompression causes on DBS and cable.
post #1584 of 6754 Old 06-26-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACAGuy View Post

I called and spoke to Rene Solis. He had 2 units left. One was hooked up in his shop in E. Los Angeles, the other was just there on his desk. Since I live in LA, I drove down, picked it up, and hooked it up. $60 ($20 net cost after coupon).

Congratulations on being the first non-privileged consumer to obtain one of these boxes.

I stopped by the local RadioShack today. They guy know what I'm asking about, expects them Friday, but there's no basis to believe that because he can't access any information about what gets sent or when. The other "local" RadioShacks are far enough away that the gas to drive there costs more than shipping (2*29/26*4.559 vs $10).

I hope Dish has a mole cruising these forums because prior to this CECB fiasco I had no opinion about them. But I do now.

Despite the time-of-day, the quantity on ebay has decreased by 5.

post #1585 of 6754 Old 06-26-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACAGuy View Post

I called and spoke to Rene Solis. He had 2 units left. One was hooked up in his shop in E. Los Angeles, the other was just there on his desk. Since I live in LA, I drove down, picked it up, and hooked it up.

I also picked one up from Rene today and have been putting it through its paces for several hours now. I also have a Zenith DTT901 that I've been using for a while to compare it to.

Picture quality and sound quality on the DTVPal is very close to the DTT901. There is one area that is very annoying however. 4:3 programs that are being broadcast in 16:9 format (is this what people refer to as 'postage-stamp' format with black borders on all four sides?) often have VBI crap along the top of the common 4:3 / 16:9 area (not the top of my 4:3 CRT and only along the 4:3 portion of the 16:9 display). It's almost always there on channels 11 and 13 and frequently there on all others when using this format. This NEVER occurs with the DTT901. Are you seeing this also, or did I luck out and get a DTVPal that's not quite right?

I'm also disappointed that the remote doesn't have a sub-channel separator (-) button. Having to enter 0042 to select channel 4-2 is a bit unintuitive.
post #1586 of 6754 Old 06-26-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:

I called and spoke to Rene Solis. He had 2 units left...I know there are probably tons of questions you have, so I'll await your replys.

Rene has been very helpfull on the phone as I have a coupon problem which he'll try to fix this Monday. What did you think about his office & operation, were you impressed?

BTW he said the TR-40 should be available this August & would have most features that the DTVPal does, ie VCR timer, etc. Tho he said the TR-40($40) would have "less internal software"...not sure what he meant, anyone have an idea?
post #1587 of 6754 Old 06-26-2008, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

jeez finding this thing is harder than finding osama, http://www.dtvpal.com/ still isn't taking orders

my coupons expire in sept so got time
post #1588 of 6754 Old 06-26-2008, 05:09 AM

It would be interesting to see the number of hit counts the DTVPAL web page has gotten.
post #1589 of 6754 Old 06-26-2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquelyme View Post

There is one area that is very annoying however. 4:3 programs that are being broadcast in 16:9 format (is this what people refer to as 'postage-stamp' format with black borders on all four sides?) often have VBI crap along the top of the common 4:3 / 16:9 area (not the top of my 4:3 CRT and only along the 4:3 portion of the 16:9 display).

Come February there will be greater bandwidth devoted to the digital signals from all stations, so picture quality (or the part of it that is related to signal strength) should improve. At the least, more stations may appear, from more distant broadcasters/
post #1590 of 6754 Old 06-26-2008, 06:10 AM

So far my coupon codes are still not appearing as "used." But there is a pending PayPal charge to my bank. I'll keep you posted on any word from the e-bay seller when I hear it.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page