Dish DTVPal / Echostar TR40 digital to analog converter - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 6754 Old 05-08-2008, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was able to order the Echostar TR-40 today thru Provantage. It had to be an "over the phone" order and they said that it will not ship until June. They did allow me to use my $40. coupon (unlike SolidSignal). Cost $42.50 plus $6.95 (for shipping) minus the $40 coupon = $9.45
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 6754 Old 05-08-2008, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

you have to remember the power source isn't in the box but a transformer power Cord and that will cut down on heat. this box was made for portability so it can be used with portable TV's
post #183 of 6754 Old 05-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

The Artec T3A Pro also has a transformer power Cord that should cut down on heat and some ventilation holes on the bottom.

However, johnied has been reported that it isn't enough for the ventilation.
I wounder if the pads don't let the box set high enough for air to get underneath.

Bruce's Antenna Systems at www.watchdigitaltv.com also reported that the box got hot.
post #184 of 6754 Old 05-08-2008, 02:30 PM

I was able to order the Echostar TR-40 today thru Provantage. It had to be an "over the phone" order and they said that it will not ship until June. They did allow me to use my $40. coupon (unlike SolidSignal). My coupon would have expired 5-23. The cost was $42.50 + $6.95 (shipping) - $40 coupon = $9.45
post #185 of 6754 Old 05-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't ordered thru Provantage as I have time before my coupons expire and would like to avoid the shipping if I can.
Here is the number for Provantage for those interested: 1-800-336-1166
post #186 of 6754 Old 05-08-2008, 05:31 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyof6 View Post

I was able to order the Echostar TR-40 today thru Provantage. It had to be an "over the phone" order and they said that it will not ship until June. They did allow me to use my $40. coupon (unlike SolidSignal). Cost $42.50 plus $6.95 (for shipping) minus the $40 coupon = $9.45

I tried to order today didn't, just got a recording of the the time of business hours. I am going to order one tomorrow morning. I hope echostar builds enough for all of us
post #187 of 6754 Old 05-08-2008, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I sure hope it doesn't run hot like the DS box. I sure would have preferred a metal case vs. what looks like plastic. I guess the first mod will be to drill lots of holes in the top, unless maybe it will have a good heatsink on the chip, but holes still wouldn't hurt.

Your DTX9900 runs hot? I have mine sitting on top of the TV and leave it on 24/7. It feel a little warm on the top at the air-hole grille and a little warm on the bottom but that's it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #188 of 6754 Old 05-08-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyof6 View Post

Is Provantage a legit company to order through? I would really like to get one of these boxes instead of settling on a Maggy.
post #189 of 6754 Old 05-08-2008, 07:55 PM

I'm just assuming they're a legitimate company since they were among the "telephone retailers" listed on the government coupon web site. Their web site and phone order system seemed "good" to me?!?
post #190 of 6754 Old 05-08-2008, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I've ordered from Provantage before, maybe 3 years ago. They had a great price, prompt shipping, no problems. Not sure why they can do pre-orders. But if they have confirmation on the number of boxes they will be receiving, they can reserve one for you and as long as they are up front on the shipping date, that would seem to fit the rules the NTIA outlined in the FAQ. Echostar has been working on the expiring coupons issue with the NTIA. I would not assume legitimacy just because the NTIA has them on the list, just ask anyone who ordered from convertmy.tv and got told MaxMedia vaporware had shipped. But I have purchased from Provantage before, and all was well.
post #191 of 6754 Old 05-08-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

But I have purchased from Provantage before, and all was well.

Good I was wondering if they were legit too! If I can get through to them tomorrow I'll place my order Thanks for the info
post #192 of 6754 Old 05-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Most remember NTIA Answer 326 thanks to Mosquito
Can I redeem a coupon if I cannot immediately deliver a CECB to the consumer?

I think Provantage is able to do this because of NTIA Answer 327
What if a consumer presents a coupon which is about to expire, and I do not have a CECB in stock and cannot predictably and assuredly deliver a CECB in the future?
This rule gives retailers two options:
Looks like Solid Signal and FreeDTVShop are choosing this first option
Quote:
First, the retailer can decline to redeem the coupon, and the consumer can identify another retailer.
(Note that if the consumer's card expires, it cannot be reissued).

Provantage is using the second option and absolutely certain that they can deliver the DTVPal within 60 days.
Quote:
Second, one coupon redemption alternative allows the consumer's coupon to be authorized immediately, but not redeemed for up to 60 days. Sales Detail Reporting (SDR) allows the coupon to be authorized, but redemption and payment processing does not occur until the retailer presents a Sales Detail Report containing the UPC of the CECB sold. Retailers using SDR can wait up to 60 days after authorizing the coupon before they deliver the CECB to the consumer and the UPC via the SDR for payment. Note that payment will not be processed if the UPC is provided more than 60 days after authorization, and a consumer's card will be unusable for another purchase.

The critical thing is that retailers using SDR to delay their request for payment when out-of-stock, be absolutely certain that they can deliver the CECB to the consumer within 60 days.

I also don't know how this rule would apply to the MaxMedia box's sometime in June statement.
As far as I can tell they started to accept coupons on 03-21-08 and 60 days from then would be 05-20-08.
post #193 of 6754 Old 05-08-2008, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Thanks, Malouff - it's hard to keep up with the FAQ revisions, glad you are checking and shared with us! You meant 60 days being 5/20/08, I presume?
post #194 of 6754 Old 05-09-2008, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

Most remember NTIA Answer 326 thanks to Mosquito
Can I redeem a coupon if I cannot immediately deliver a CECB to the consumer?

I think Provantage is able to do this because of NTIA Answer 327
What if a consumer presents a coupon which is about to expire, and I do not have a CECB in stock and cannot predictably and assuredly deliver a CECB in the future?
This rule gives retailers two options:
Looks like Solid Signal and FreeDTVShop are choosing this first option

Provantage is using the second option and absolutely certain that they can deliver the DTVPal within 60 days.

The critical thing is that retailers using SDR to delay their request for payment when out-of-stock, be absolutely certain that they can deliver the CECB to the consumer within 60 days.

I also don't know how this rule would apply to the MaxMedia box's sometime in June statement.
As far as I can tell they started to accept coupons on 03-21-08 and 60 days from then would be 05-20-08.

Outstanding information. Thanks for the heads up.
post #195 of 6754 Old 05-09-2008, 08:14 AM

I just ordered 2. Great customer service rep. They are definitely working on the 2 month extension premise.
The rep said that the government confirms each card and that there's no way they will expire. Hope that's true. My cards expire 5/28/08 so now 7/28/08.
The TR 40 are $42.50 each. So it's $5 for 2 plus $11 something for a total of $16.95.
She said the card will be charged when they ship.

Now what other converters do I order for the other lines? Can have 2 of these on one set because the remotes will clash. Have to have a second for an analog TV (the TR-40 is for the VCR)
The other set has PIP. So this is for one tuner on the TV need a second for the other tuner.
Exactly who do we have to thank for this whole digital thing they pulled on us?
post #196 of 6754 Old 05-09-2008, 08:16 AM

Okay...what features does the MaxMedia box have? Should I order this one?
post #197 of 6754 Old 05-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

I would stay away from MaxMedia and others would agree. Most consider it to be Vaporware.

Who knows what features it will have as they switched model numbers on those who ordered.
They also were constantly changing the features of their box.
post #198 of 6754 Old 05-09-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Your DTX9900 runs hot? I have mine sitting on top of the TV and leave it on 24/7. It feel a little warm on the top at the air-hole grille and a little warm on the bottom but that's it.

Not hot to the touch, but quite warm. Also as the box warms up I dramatically start to loose signal reception on one station that I think has multipath problems. It starts out at ~50% signal strength cold and drops to 20% after ~20 minutes. My Zenith doesn't get warm at all and has no fade problem using the same feed on the same channel. I just hope the fact that the power supply sounds like it will be out of the actual unit will make the TR-40 run cooler. Personally I would have preferred a square metal case for the TR but I guess for $40 if it does what they say it can I'll be happy. I could easily see 3 or 4 in my future. Gotta keep those analog DVDR's working after 2/09.
It's possible my DS box is faulty, but I believe I've read others talking about the heat of their boxes too. This weekend I'll be hooking up my DS box for my inlaws. Hopefully it will work good for them. I'll miss it's nice guide though.
post #199 of 6754 Old 05-09-2008, 10:37 AM

After reading the specifications for this STB http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/DISH_Network_DTVPal.html

It will have event timers, but will this actually have the IR blaster that will start and stop recording on the VCR. Sounds like it will only change the channel. You would have to syncronize your VCR to start and stop recording on your line inputs to coincide with the programming of the STB . Can anyone confirm this?
post #200 of 6754 Old 05-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

I asked John at FreeDTVShop.com why he was not allowing pre-orders according to NTIA 372 and he told me
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito View Post

SDR is not available for online sites. It uses a physical card swipe, and then a report to rectify the UPCs with the authorizations. All other redemption methods redeem the coupon right away, instead of just retrieving an authorization. This is how other online retailers got into trouble with redeeming cards early for backorders due to their use of the web service. We manually use the web site redemption method, which allows us to at least take your order ahead of time and then redeem your coupon upon shipping. It's the best solution available for now, but it does pose a problem as coupon expiration dates come to pass.

I did not know about this SDR method as I am just a consumer and thought all methods had the same rules.

Why you would physically want to go to a store and get a CECB within 60 days is beyond me and sounds stupid.
I don't see major stores like Wal-Mart and Radio Shack doing this.

I don't know what method Provantage is using but it must not be the SDR method.
post #201 of 6754 Old 05-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

It sounds to me like the DTVPal will not change the channel on the VCR but change the channel on the Converter box.

You would have to set up the VCR to record at the TV program(s) time(s) and leave the source as AV/in or Channel 3|4.

You would also have to disable the auto shut down of the Converter box.
post #202 of 6754 Old 05-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blfuller View Post

After reading the specifications for this STB http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/DISH_Network_DTVPal.html

It will have event timers, but will this actually have the IR blaster that will start and stop recording on the VCR. Sounds like it will only change the channel. You would have to syncronize your VCR to start and stop recording on your line inputs to coincide with the programming of the STB . Can anyone confirm this?

According the the specs and photo provided in the link you posted, no.

All we know for sure is that it will have an "event timer". I think ezdigitaltv.com is just speculating on what that may entail. It would be nice to have a TVGOS style guide or one like Dish satellite receivers have, but I think it will be much simpler, probably similar to the Samsung DTB-H260F EPG.

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #203 of 6754 Old 05-09-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Here is what Nulime responded with to my email concerning coupon usage:

Yes, we understand what you are trying to do. That coupon is NOT a coupon
for nuLime.com. It is government coupon. You send the government the coupon
you have to get your rebate. As such the coupon cannot be used during
checkout on our web site.

Thanks,
Customer Service
nuLime.com

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #204 of 6754 Old 05-09-2008, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

This weekend I'll be hooking up my DS box for my inlaws. Hopefully it will work good for them. I'll miss it's nice guide though.

Don't worry, the full, 7-day one in the TR-40 should make you forget soon enough.

Hopefully, it will also use a common code that will allow it to be controlled by IR blasters. A fully manual timer would sure be nice too, but it doesn't sound like it'll have that.

Speaking of TVGOS, there are some new Sony LCD's recently released with it, and I'd have to assume it's digital-compatible, so maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be in the TR-40, also.
post #205 of 6754 Old 05-09-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Thanks,
Customer Service
nuLime.com

this is total BS

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #206 of 6754 Old 05-09-2008, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Thanks,
Customer Service
nuLime.com

wrong, it's the retailers job and only his job to redeem the coupons. you don't send to the government for a rebate.
post #207 of 6754 Old 05-09-2008, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Speaking of TVGOS, there are some new Sony LCD's just being released with it, and I'd have to assume it's digital-compatible, so maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be in the TR-40, also.

Rammi...where did you see these Sony LCDs with TVGOS? Thanks - Tony

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #208 of 6754 Old 05-09-2008, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf View Post

Rammi...where did you see these Sony LCDs with TVGOS? Thanks - Tony

www.crutchfield.com. Just got the latest catalog in the mail a day or two ago.
post #209 of 6754 Old 05-09-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiquiri View Post

I just ordered 2. Great customer service rep. They are definitely working on the 2 month extension premise.
The rep said that the government confirms each card and that there's no way they will expire. Hope that's true. My cards expire 5/28/08 so now 7/28/08.
The TR 40 are $42.50 each. So it's $5 for 2 plus $11 something for a total of $16.95.
She said the card will be charged when they ship.

Daiquiri, did they send you an email confirming your order? I ask because I just did the same as you and ordered 2 myself. I gave them my email address but nothing yet. I just hope this goes as planned as I was sure I was going to miss out on the TR-40 with my expiring coupons. Guess I am just paranoid and want proof of an order.
post #210 of 6754 Old 05-09-2008, 03:39 PM

Ordered one this afternoon waiting on a order confirmation......from Provantage

Since it's Friday probably won't get a notice until next week if even then.........
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page