Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post

I emailed Provantage and got a response: The manufacturer is still not shipping them. They have pushed the date back to early July.

Seems consistent with what others have reported who pre-ordered DTVPals from Provantage. I'm becoming increasingly optimistic, I might get a box after all.

Whidbey, I am waiting to see what happens too -- but I just got the letter in the mail from the Dept. of Commerce saying they were going to reissue coupons because of the the special circumstances. Did you get one of these? Provangage still shows my order in progress. Does this mean there is no chance I can still get my boxes from them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskerdoo View Post

Whidbey, I am waiting to see what happens too -- but I just got the letter in the mail from the Dept. of Commerce saying they were going to reissue coupons because of the the special circumstances. Did you get one of these? Provangage still shows my order in progress. Does this mean there is no chance I can still get my boxes from them?

Interesting. Last I heard Provantage was hoping to ship on the 9th. Maybe we will get lucky and get the box AND a replacement coupon.

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #2163 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 04:29 PM

Thanks dattier for catching that...I did mean July 3rd.

Both boxes arrived today @ 3:16 p.m. CST. Packing is fair...only one side and the bottom contained packing peanuts. No visual damage to either unit ...I will now put it to the test.

Any ideas on A/B testing...What should I report on? What are you guys most interested in? I have a tivax and a channel master that I am borrowing so I can compare it to these.

I will use patch cords...when I used the tivax box thru RF, it gave me very strong colors...Is this what you call color saturation? I'll report back later.
post #2164 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 04:36 PM

i ordered 2 DTVPALS from Digitalstar on 6-26-08.

Sent them an email this morning containing the copy of there email confirming the sale asking when i whould be receiving the shipment.

Received an email back this afternoon stating my order has been shipped with USPS tracking number.

Six businness days total time so far.
post #2165 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 05:51 PM

Hi folks, I just received my Pal from Dish (DTVPal.com) via UPS Ground. I ordered on Fri, 6/27 at 1PM PDT. It was in its original product box as usual, but the box is in good shape. I'll be trying it out with my TVGOS VCR later tonight, with a report in the morning.

Tracking is as follows:

Code:
MENLO PARK,CA, US       07/03/2008      4:44 A.M.       OUT FOR DELIVERY
        07/03/2008      3:30 A.M.       ARRIVAL SCAN
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO,CA, US      07/03/2008      12:24 A.M.      DEPARTURE SCAN
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO,CA, US      07/02/2008      7:51 P.M.       ARRIVAL SCAN
SAN PABLO,CA, US        07/02/2008      7:01 P.M.       DEPARTURE SCAN
        07/02/2008      6:28 P.M.       ARRIVAL SCAN
SPARKS,NV, US   07/02/2008      2:20 P.M.       DEPARTURE SCAN
        07/02/2008      11:56 A.M.      ARRIVAL SCAN
SALT LAKE CITY,UT, US   07/02/2008      2:59 A.M.       DEPARTURE SCAN
        07/02/2008      1:19 A.M.       ARRIVAL SCAN
COMMERCE CITY,CO, US    06/30/2008      11:33 P.M.      DEPARTURE SCAN
        06/30/2008      6:11 P.M.       ORIGIN SCAN
US      06/30/2008      1:05 A.M.       BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
post #2166 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walino View Post

Hello , One coupon expired and I got a Magnavox with the other. I ended up buying a panasonic vcr/dvd recorder with digital tuner because my old vcr was shot. I just found out the vcr will not record digital programming. What I do not understand is if the tuner converts digital to analog so it can be viewed on my old tv, why wont the tape record it.? Is there a work around?

The Panasonic DMR-EZ47VK can record to the built-in VCR, but only when the tuner is set to an analog channel. It will not record from a digital broadcast. There is no such limitation for recording DVDs.

If you've bought a newer recorder, it's probably the DMR-EZ48VK which from all accounts is very similar to the previous model. You might check the forum to see if anyone else has seen this limitation in the newer model.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014536
post #2167 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baud View Post

i ordered 2 DTVPALS from Digitalstar on 6-26-08.

Sent them an email this morning containing the copy of there email confirming the sale asking when i whould be receiving the shipment.

Received an email back this afternoon stating my order has been shipped with USPS tracking number.

Six businness days total time so far.

i never received an email about anything being shipped. you would figure they could do that, it's not that big of a deal. lets us know the progress but i;m still suspicious of you being a beginner poster.

the channel master cm-7000 is a really nice box. i did not find it hard at all to setup or get around the menus like others have reported. The remote isn't a problem either but it did only take in about 5 channels off our roof top antenna which is like 30+ years old and $29 radio shack junk.

P.S. Jaromir Jagr isn't a New York Ranger anymore, Sather has moved past him and started to rebuild the team.
post #2168 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 06:21 PM

Dagger

If You havn't already, this is there email sales@digitalstar.com

With the holiday i would think you should get a response by monday.
post #2169 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frtundra View Post

The Panasonic DMR-EZ47VK can record to the built-in VCR, but only when the tuner is set to an analog channel. It will not record from a digital broadcast.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014536

That is a bummer. Bad design.
post #2170 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guys?

Help me out here with regards to DISH remotes working with the DTVPal.

I have an old TiVo (no digital tuner), and if the digital boxes respond as if they were DISH receivers, there's a chance I can bring my TiVo into the fold where the DTVPal is concerned.

Someone on the TiVo Community forum seems to have gotten their machine (a TiVo meant only for cable and satellite) working with an OverTheAir digital box. They found out what set of Infra Red remote codes the digital box responded to and set up their TiVo to work with a set top box using that set of codes.

They then apparently lied to the TiVo and said they had satellite service, which apparently included OTA digital channels on exactly the same channel numbers they're really on. (Guess some satellite boxes include OTA digital tuners?)

The TiVo now believes it's hooked into satellite with OTAs coming in thru the satellite box. It also believes the digital box is some other type...one that the TiVo knows how to control.

What I'm trying to find out from him is what type of satellite service he has where the OTAs are on the same channel numbers as they really are.

What I need from you guys is what DISH box's remote will control the DTVPal.

If I can tell my TiVo it's using that particular DISH box, and can find a satellite channel lineup for my area that's got the right numbers....
post #2171 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmvine View Post

Is there a difference between the Sling box & the DTVPal?? If so, what is it?

Dan,

First, the Sling/Echostar (S/E) converter box is not the same as the "Sling box". I am only referring to the digital to analog TV converter made by a partnership between Sling and Echostar.

No one knows the final configuration of the S/E 159365/TR40 - except Sling, Echostar and Dish. The Twister Group write up APPEARS to be very similar the the DTVPal. But, as with the final pricing of the DTVPal, the final specs of the 159365/TR40 can change.

A Dish spokesman is quoted as saying that Dish purchases the DTVPal from S/E for resale to the public.

Still, we will not know the final configuration of the 159365/TR40 until it is released.

Also, there is SPECULATION the release date is on or around August 8th. But there have been no announcements from S/E.

My take: The Twister Group and Buy.com are both continuing to carry the "159365" on their website. They have also adjusted pricing. That bodes well for the S/E moving from vaporware to a deliverable product.

As for the 159365/TR40 release date non-announcement, I think S/E has a arrangement with Dish. If S/E announced a $39.99 converter box tomorrow, it would significantly affect the sales of the much higher margin $59.99 DTVPal. That would likely hurt both Dish AND Sling/Echostar.
post #2172 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskerdoo View Post

All current DVD, VCR and even the Philips DVR (with hard drive) recorders have ATSC tuners for OTA digital (HD)signals yet they cannot record in HD. They record in SD. If your recorder is not recording at all then it is broken. Read your manual. This is why we are waiting for the TR-50 that promises true HD recording for OTA broadcast.

Edit: Maybe Rick313 is correct that they make a VCR-DVD combo that the VCR does not record?? That is retarded and I have never seen one but it may be true.

A few months ago, I was looking for a DVD/VCR recorder with a digital tuner, but had trouble finding one which would record from the tuner to the VCR. Neither the previous nor the current Panasonic would do this. The only ones I found at the time were made by LG (RC797 & RC897) and Sony (RDRVXD655), but I couldn't find user comments about them. I don't want to go into this any more here, because it's off topic. I've been trying to find a thread that covers DVD/VCR recorders, but haven't found anything current. If anyone can direct me, i'd certainly appreciate the help.
post #2173 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray E View Post

Received E-Mail from CDC stating order shipped at 2:12 PM on 7/2/08 and notification from UPS at 4:14 PM on 7/2/08. Placed order 6/24/08-order # 197. Sceduled delivery 7/9/08. Sounds like a good site!

Howdy Ray,

I ordered just before you on the 24th and also am expecting a 7/9/08 delivery... Lexus and I have been discussing a possibly significant delay between when "CDC" gives us our "shipped" status, UPS gets it's "Billing Info. Received", and when it actually hits the UPS "grid".

With July 4th already messing up delivery times I wouldn't be surprised if we might be a day or so off before UPS catches up. But if you notice when UPS does report your Tracking #'s "Origin/Departure Scans" could you let us know. I'm still in "Billing Info." status even though "CDC" has me in "shipped" status.

Any other past/present "CDC" orders with UPS Tracking #s that would like to share what their average "Shipped"/"Billing Info" vs "Origin/Departure Scan" time lag is I'd appreciate it. Hopefully it's only a day or so normally.

Thanks,

Dave
post #2174 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

I think most, if not all of them will. The closest match will be the Dish 111 though.
post #2175 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:

What I'm trying to find out from him is what type of satellite service he has where the OTAs are on the same channel numbers as they really are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbios View Post

I think most, if not all of them will. The closest match will be the Dish 111 though.

There are very few DISH receivers you could pick for the TiVo that wouldn't generate commands that the DTVPal would obey (really old 7x00 DishPlayers come to mind). I'd think you would have the best luck if you told the TiVo that you had a DISH 942 receiver or any ViP receiver (211, 222, 622, 722). Maybe you just select DISH HD Receiver, dunno. TiVo Community would be a better source than me for that part. Those receivers have OTA ATSC tuners where, like on a DTVPal, you enter 01301 to pick channel 13.1. If your TiVo thought you had a ViP 211 and you got OTA channels on it, it would get the OTA schedule for your DMA/zipcode/however you set it up and it would generate the appropriate OTA channel numbers on an IR blaster that would change to that channel. It shouldn't matter that the DTVPal remote itself uses oddball codes. The DTVPal unit would act upon the same codes (address 1) that the TiVo would send to a 211.
post #2176 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Did I miss that there are 2 known admitted BUGs in the DTVpal?

What bugs?
post #2177 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Since a few of you have your DTVPals now, have you tried the analog pass-through feature yet? I have a couple of questions:

1. If the DTVPal is off/standby, is the analog signal passed through unattenuated? (This is a problem with the Philco/Magnavox - you have to leave these boxes on to pass analog signals through, which means you have to disable the 4-hour auto-shutoff.)

2. If the DTVPal is on and you engage analog pass-through with the remote, does it continue to send the converted digital broadcast to the A/V outputs? (If so, it could be daisy-chained to another device, such as a second converter box, without splitters, A/B switches, or the like.)

1: When off, the analog is passed through just fine.
2: When pass-through is enabled, a ten second countdown appears, then the A/V outputs stop sending signal.

Interestingly, if you have a Dish IR remote, it will control the DTV Pal and vice versa, ie the DTV Pal remote controls your satellite TV. I am contemplating a setup where I combine the receiver and DTV Pal output using a reversed Y splitter. That way, as long as the auto shutoff doesn't muck things up, turning on one device with the remote will shut the other one off, and they can share the same TV input. Would make it easier for my wife to keep her sanity.
post #2178 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2108 View Post

Did I miss that there are 2 known admitted BUGs in the DTVpal?

What bugs?

1. When 4:3 content is sent in a 16:9 transmission, bad VBI is frequently seen along the top of the 4:3 content. (Dish Network has acknowledged this is a known problem.)

2. At least with Software Version F100TCGH-N, the DTVPal does not power itself on when an event timer goes off. (One user reported this is fixed in F101TCGH-N, but Dish Network claims it's a known problem in that version also.)
post #2179 of 6754 Old 07-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquelyme View Post

1. When 4:3 content is sent in a 16:9 transmission, bad VBI is frequently seen along the top of the 4:3 content. (Dish Network has acknowledged this is a known problem.)

2. At least with Software Version F100TCGH-N, the DTVPal does not power itself on when an event timer goes off. (One user reported this is fixed in F101TCGH-N, but Dish Network claims it's a known problem in that version also.)

Hey thanks,

Can you explain in laymen terms "bad VBI is frequently seen along the top of the 4:3 content" What is a VBI? What does it look like on screen?
post #2180 of 6754 Old 07-04-2008, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunofyerbisnes View Post

A few months ago, I was looking for a DVD/VCR recorder with a digital tuner, but had trouble finding one which would record from the tuner to the VCR. Neither the previous nor the current Panasonic would do this. The only ones I found at the time were made by LG (RC797 & RC897) and Sony (RDRVXD655), but I couldn't find user comments about them. I don't want to go into this any more here, because it's off topic. I've been trying to find a thread that covers DVD/VCR recorders, but haven't found anything current. If anyone can direct me, i'd certainly appreciate the help.

......Look under "Video Components" for "DVD recorders"
post #2181 of 6754 Old 07-04-2008, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2108 View Post

What is a VBI? What does it look like on screen?

It's the data that's transmitted during the vertical retrace interval. It's normally not seen due to overscanning at the top of the crt. If displayed, it appears as a few scan lines of broken and moving white dashes on a black background.
post #2182 of 6754 Old 07-04-2008, 02:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I don't know much about Direct, but Dish does - at least the SD versions.
post #2183 of 6754 Old 07-04-2008, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

you know i was watching the King of Queens and figured i would flip between the HD and SD channels which is sub 05-02 because not only is the show on these channels at the same time but it's shot in HD. I never know how blurry SD TV was before doing this. I know how great the Giants game look in HD over SD but WOW! This should have been done years ago.

Agent City NORTHBROOK Secretary Name & Address GREGORY MOGILEVSKY SAME, now my suspicions are solid. anyone named George can't be trusted, my brothers name is George and he is worthless.

how many accounts can one person setup on here under different names
post #2184 of 6754 Old 07-04-2008, 04:46 AM

Agent Street Address 141 REVERE DR President Name & Address ALINA MOGILEVSKY 41 RED OAK LANE HIGHLAND PARK 60035

This is not the address they advertise on the DigitalStar website. The main issue I was bringing up is their own website advertises an address that is the address of AcoreElectronics of which I called on the phone who said they never heard of them. If a company is using a false address, it's highly suspicious to me and I wouldn't do business without varifying more about them. Also their phone number was linked to 2 other business names when I googled it, so it makes no difference if they have a legit business licence somewhere, the point is locating where and who they are so you can track them down if they don't deliver. What's worse than "vaporware" is "vapor business".
post #2185 of 6754 Old 07-04-2008, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

ALINA MOGILEVSKY, very suspicions sounding name
post #2186 of 6754 Old 07-04-2008, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What I'm trying to find out from him is what type of satellite service he has where the OTAs are on the same channel numbers as they really are..

DirecTV does that.
post #2187 of 6754 Old 07-04-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger666 View Post

ALINA MOGILEVSKY, very suspicions sounding name

Since Mosquito has a message on his site saying that a percentage of the profits will go to support the troops. Maybe this company should have a little message saying that a percentage of the profits will go to feed the elephants?

http://www.campaignmoney.com/politic...y.asp?cycle=08

http://images.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/fecimg/?27990170593

post #2188 of 6754 Old 07-04-2008, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

they charged my credit card $27.45 on 07/01/08
post #2189 of 6754 Old 07-04-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oboist1 View Post

Dan,

First, the Sling/Echostar (S/E) converter box is not the same as the "Sling box". I am only referring to the digital to analog TV converter made by a partnership between Sling and Echostar.

No one knows the final configuration of the S/E 159365/TR40 - except Sling, Echostar and Dish. The Twister Group write up APPEARS to be very similar the the DTVPal. But, as with the final pricing of the DTVPal, the final specs of the 159365/TR40 can change.

A Dish spokesman is quoted as saying that Dish purchases the DTVPal from S/E for resale to the public.

Still, we will not know the final configuration of the 159365/TR40 until it is released.

Also, there is SPECULATION the release date is on or around August 8th. But there have been no announcements from S/E.

My take: The Twister Group and Buy.com are both continuing to carry the "159365" on their website. They have also adjusted pricing. That bodes well for the S/E moving from vaporware to a deliverable product.

As for the 159365/TR40 release date non-announcement, I think S/E has a arrangement with Dish. If S/E announced a $39.99 converter box tomorrow, it would significantly affect the sales of the much higher margin $59.99 DTVPal. That would likely hurt both Dish AND Sling/Echostar.

Oboist1, thanks for the info. I put "159365 digital" into Froogle and came up with quite a few Sling/Echostar converter boxes at $40-45. Most said it was back-ordered but this site "appeared" to have in stock for $40.99. http://www.superduperclub.net/dhechostardtvpal.html

They stated free with coupon but didn't see anyplace to put in a coupon #.

Maybe before Aug 8?
post #2190 of 6754 Old 07-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been following this for a little while now and I see that people are starting to get their units now. My questions are:

1) Is their any definite word on which (any?) brick and mortar stores carrying these, or is it all still just speculation at this point?

2) Is there definitely going to be another less expensive box later this year or is that all just speculation at this point?
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page