Channel Master CM-7000 Digital to Analog Converter - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1483 Old 07-04-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Per Helpful Ron at CM I was able to remove the cover from my CM(shhh) and reposition the channel up key(took 2 minutes). All fine with that box now. Well actually I still cannot advance only one channel using the up channel button on any of my 4 CM's, but that's another story. Just be ware if planning on using the channel buttons on the unit itself you will be disappointed. Stick to the remote, you'll be less disappointed. As noted they tend to jump several channels but if you push the buttons quickly it's doable.
I'm going to have to still exchange my box that has signal issues, no visible problem I can see.

Dagger666-I know the splitter box you're describing. I've got one in a box in the basement. You really don't want to drive 4 devices using that 2 way splitter. By just paralleling the feeds you're going to incur much more loss than just using a 4 way splitter. Better yet since you sound like you're only using one TV why not just get rid of that splitter and go straight to your CM(of course since you have twin lead you're going to need a balun).
P.S. Remember Rrrroger? He used his 4228 in his room, no need to climb up the chimney. Then I'd get rid of that twin lead too. Who knows what kind of loss you're getting by running it around your deck. Twin lead, unless shielded, should be free air as much as possible using standoffs. Most people let it touch the roof, siding etc. All this will incur losses. Just a couple thoughts anyway. BTW my onsite services require nothing less than Gunness Of course after the chimney work has been completed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1483 Old 07-04-2008, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On the Red L.E.D / Orange L.E.D. issue above...

I had occasion today to rearrange the room and when I plugged my CM-7000 back in I noticed something I failed to notice on day one when I plugged it in back then.

The unit goes through a self-diagnostic boot-up with the L.E.D. Red for almost half a minute, then flashes Green for a quick sec before it goes into "Standby Mode" Orange.

So I guess that unit above was failing to complete It's self-diagnostics...

Also, I cannot reproduce the fast repeat button problem above on my remote or my face panel buttons.

Here are my boxes firmware stats:

System - Katana2
S/W Version - B7707_LPM
Non-Labeled Entry - 52.4DC001
Built - 20080129
Z_CoreLib - 0.4.0.3305Z_Core
Z_ATSCLib - 2.1.1.3444
Z_DTVCCLib6.2.0.3327

Notes:
My front panel buttons do not auto-scroll if held down.
They never double-bounce and skip a channel, I tried.

My remote auto-scrolls after a 2 second delay at a rate
of about 2 channels a second when pressed continuosly.

Hope this helps somehow...

James Clerk Maxwell spins in his grave,
not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
Doppler Effect: Effect of stupid ideas appearing smarter when they come at you rapidly!
post #453 of 1483 Old 07-04-2008, 02:56 PM

button problems on front panel of CM-7000... Hello everyone I read on the forum about the front panel buttons skipping channels. I took the cover off and used some contact cleaner and lubricant spay on all three switches. Make certain the plungers on the buttons are lined up with the micro switches, for they can be easily knocked off. The up/down buttons work fine now with no skipping. Thanks for interesting reading on the forums. They helped me get a Zenith DTT900 and CM-7000.
post #454 of 1483 Old 07-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Hi WeThePeople,

I've got exactly the same versions and built date on two boxes and do have the front panel button repeat problem on both. I'm liking 3elementsmissing's idea and will give the contact cleaner a try. This problem does sound a lot like dirty contacts.
post #455 of 1483 Old 07-04-2008, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLittleTimeZZZ View Post

Hi WeThePeople,

I've got exactly the same versions and built date on two boxes and do have the front panel button repeat problem on both. I'm liking 3elementsmissing's idea and will give the contact cleaner a try. This problem does sound a lot like dirty contacts.

Micro switches cannot be cleaned.
I suspect that (at least in his case) it's sticky (or oversized) push buttons.
Perhaps the lubricant loosened them up but this could very well be short term.

......another fine example of poor quality control!
post #456 of 1483 Old 07-05-2008, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

i really don't think they were meant to be used, who gets out of the seat to use button anymore. All electronic are starting to remove buttons from their devices and adding them to the remote. It's 2008 and I'm thinking that Lazy boy reclining potty chair in the TV room is starting to sound sweet.
post #457 of 1483 Old 07-05-2008, 06:30 AM

Ha! Good one, but might take some plumbing

Starting to remove buttons? That "trend" was well under way in the 1980s when the VCR manufacturers removed all the buttons. That made it a PITA to quickly record a show without turning on the TV first to make the menus visible.

More likely that either it's a manufacturing problem (switches out of spec) or firmware bug that was too low a priority to delay shipment for.

One of my room layouts makes it really annoying to have to go get the remote when I'm right next to the TV, so buttons on the front were important to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger666 View Post

i really don't think they were meant to be used, who gets out of the seat to use button anymore. All electronic are starting to remove buttons from their devices and adding them to the remote. It's 2008 and I'm thinking that Lazy boy reclining potty chair in the TV room is starting to sound sweet.

post #458 of 1483 Old 07-05-2008, 06:45 AM

Hi WeThePeople,

This is just too weird. My box's serial number is 70001405080885. Let's see if there's a hint in the serial numbers as to why my box has the problem and yours doesn't.

What's the serial number of your box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople View Post

[snip]
My front panel buttons do not auto-scroll if held down.
They never double-bounce and skip a channel, I tried.
[snip]

post #459 of 1483 Old 07-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You're welcome n4yqt. Alternatively, you might consider sending him an e-mail that summarizes your experience & your questions, then follow up by phone.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource

Save Free HDTV: Facebook Page

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.
post #460 of 1483 Old 07-05-2008, 07:58 AM

I too had sticky buttons on the front bezel, generally skipping two channels at a time, and I believe I fixed it.

Here's my hypothesis: The CM-7000 comes from the factory with a thin plastic protective film over the front bezel. It's actually quite well-applied, so that it looks like it's supposed to be there permanently. When in place, it inhibits button movement. When removed, the buttons move more freely.

I removed the thin plastic protective film over the front bezel of both my CM-7000's and the channel buttons no longer skip.

Try it!
post #461 of 1483 Old 07-05-2008, 08:13 AM

I've never had any trouble with the buttons on my CM-7000. All three seem to work like they should. I removed that film before I ever plugged it in
post #462 of 1483 Old 07-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4yqt View Post

Thank you. I'll give Ron a call on Monday.

I just sent Ron an e-mail on another topic and received the following reply:
Quote:

Subject: Out of Office

I am out of the office on business and will return July 14th.

(However, perhaps he will check his e-mail while he's away.)

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource

Save Free HDTV: Facebook Page

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.
post #463 of 1483 Old 07-05-2008, 10:00 AM

Sorry zqxthree, but I've had the skipping buttons even without the protective plastic. However, I'm pretty sure I've found and fixed the problem. It really looks like the plastic button assembly is chattering when a button is pressed. By removing the front panel you'll see that the buttons don't skip at all when pressed with your finger. My theory is that the button assembly chatters when the microswitch clicks, causing a second button press without again clicking the switch. I guess there's a long enough delay to sneak past any software debouncing.

The fix is easy. I cut a strip of electrical tape and stuck it to the finger tips of the plastic button assembly. That's enough damping to have the buttons work without skipping. (I'm guessing that the lubricant 3elementsmissing left left on the switches also acted to damp out the chatter.)

While you're in there, put some black electrical tape over the clear plastic LED light pipe to reduce the night-light effect. The more you cover the light pipe (e.g. all sides) the more it dims the light. At first I put a piece of grey tape on the end of the light pipe to dim it, but found that the black tape on the outside is enough (for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zqxthree View Post

...I removed the thin plastic protective film over the front bezel of both my CM-7000's and the channel buttons no longer skip.

post #464 of 1483 Old 07-05-2008, 12:17 PM

I pulled my cover and applied a small amount of pressure to the front of the chassis allowing some play. It still didn't "Bounce". But I put my finger on the button and remove it after the press. I have pressure on the mechanism before it has clicked yet by nature.

When I did the above and just "Poked" the button I did get it to do it once. If I move slow and deliberate It's fine, if I spaz out on it I can get it to skip (once).

not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
Doppler Effect: Effect of stupid ideas appearing smarter when they come at you rapidly!
post #465 of 1483 Old 07-05-2008, 12:49 PM

My button rod ends aren't parallel to the front panel. The up button almost touches its switch and the other two have a 1mm air gap between the rod ends and their switch. All button rods are the same length, but the assembly twists about 1mm from left to right. It's easy to remove the front panel too (two screws and unsnap the top and side tabs). Do you see this on yours too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople View Post

I pulled my cover and applied a small amount of pressure to the front of the chassis allowing some play. It still didn't "Bounce". But I put my finger on the button and remove it after the press. I have pressure on the mechanism before it has clicked yet by nature.

When I did the above and just "Poked" the button I did get it to do it once. If I move slow and deliberate It's fine, if I spaz out on it I can get it to skip (once).

post #466 of 1483 Old 07-05-2008, 01:06 PM

Yes, I see it is disassembleable. The metel chassis yields integrity to the whole deal. Electrical tape shims to remove backlash is a fair idea and would provide the same effect as slowly putting ones finger on the button and taking up the slack before the press in the first place.

Mine doesn't present a problem for me, but if I chose to modify this assembly I would use a drop of super glue gel on the buttons internal tip. Then sand it to fit after it hardens.

The fact the microswitches they chose may also have a high contact bounce factor combined with a poorly written de-bounce firmware algorithim is also probable. TV-tuner/contact cleaner may remove any oils on the metel disc and contact points helping that out somewhat.

not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
post #467 of 1483 Old 07-05-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

All electronic are starting to remove buttons from their devices and adding them to the remote. It's 2008 and I'm thinking that Lazy boy reclining potty chair in the TV room is starting to sound sweet.

Sound sweet, maybe, but smell is another story.
post #468 of 1483 Old 07-05-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Well as long as I have to return one of my CMs I figured it wouldn't hurt to experiment with trying to eliminate the channel jumping problem. The one I have to return has issues with breaking up signal and also the channel skip problem.
First I removed the cover of the unit and next the front of the unit. That part was a little tricky since one needs to hold basically 3 tabs at near the same time while sliding one side, then the next away from the front. Reassembly was easy.
Going off 2 tips I've read here at AVS, one in this thread and another in a thread specifically talking about this problem, I tried both, one on the channel up and one on the channel down.
Note I don't know how a person could really do either easily without first removing both the unit cover and also the front of the unit.

First I noted that neither button skipped channels when I pushed directly on the little micro switches with the front of the unit off, that was good. Next on the channel up I used TooLittleTimeZZZs tip of using a piece of black tape between the button and plunger piece that's attached to the front panel button. To keep the tape from falling off later I stuck it to the top of the switch and draped it over the front of the switch. The switch itself was only a couple mm dia. so I didn't think just sticking it to that would hold up for long.
Next I went of a tip from 3elementsmissing but instead of using spray lube I used a small dab of axle grease on the little plunger.
I put the front cover back on the unit and WALA, neither button now skips
So take your pick, axle grease or a small piece of tape, or don't use the front panel buttons all options work. Thanks to the above posters for the tips.
P.S. I'll be posting this in both this and the other thread since this topic seems to be active in both.
BTW I also had NOT removed the plastic film on the front of the unit, but in my case anyway removing it did not help the channel skip problem.
post #469 of 1483 Old 07-05-2008, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultdw View Post

I recently noticed an odd bug in my CM7000.

Every once in a while when I tune into a standard definition sub channel, the entire image is blurred as though it were slightly out of focus. Certainly not the sort of digital error I would expect. Simply changing to another channel and back will return the image to its usual sharpness. I have only seen this on two weather sub channels so far. (Channels 4-2 and 5-2 in the DFW area.)

Old quote from post #381
Yes I've noticed this on many occasions. I was able to duplicate it at will last night. If I was on a SD channel, then scanned to a HD channel(the next one in line) then scanned to the next SD channel, that one would be very fuzzy. Nothing such as bringing up guide or directly entering channel number would clear the image. Note the OSD and guide were clear, just the channel behind it was fuzzy. The only thing that worked to clear this was going back to a HD channel and then back to the SD channel
In my testing I had to be on a SD channel, stop at the next HD channel for a brief time, then go to a SD channel.
Today I can still get that box to do this but not as regularly.
This is a odd note but the only channel that seems to exhibit this fuzzy image thing is our NBC Weather Plus channel, 11.2. So in my case if I was on channel 9.2(SD) then scanned through 11.1(NBC HD) and finally stopped on 11.2 (WX+, SD) that channel would be very fuzzy. To clear that channel I needed to scan to 11.1 (or any HD channel by direct entry) then back to 11.2 and it would be clear
Note this only happens to 1 of my 4 CMs. I cannot get the others to ever exhibit this problem. I'll update this thread if I find out more.
post #470 of 1483 Old 07-05-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

i found this on channel 9-2 and 5-2 sub channels for fox.
post #471 of 1483 Old 07-05-2008, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

my channel master today seam to shut down by itself and the light went red. in a few seconds i pushed the power button on the remote and it was back up and running so i guess the red light means something.
post #472 of 1483 Old 07-05-2008, 11:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
It only happened once on the first night I had the box, but I haven't seen it since.

It was on a weather channel.
post #473 of 1483 Old 07-06-2008, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if possibly why we are seeing this on mostly the wx channel is because it is quite easy to see a out of focus picture with all the graphics on the weather channels? I know personally I like to use the wx channel to check for overscan and PQ on a SD channel. With all its stationary graphics it's easiest to tell PQ. Just one thought....I can't see what's so different about a wx channel vs. any other SD channel.
BTW on the red light, I had my box on (green) and unplugged it to move it to another outlet. When I plugged it back it it went (red) for about 10 seconds before finally going to (amber) off state. I was able to turn it back on (green) just fine. Red has to be some kind of self-check or error indicator.
post #474 of 1483 Old 07-06-2008, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

this happened after a changed the antenna connections in the basement. Maybe it's some kind of resetting the box goes through when something big changes. I'll write channel master and ask to get the right answer.
post #475 of 1483 Old 07-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

my channel master today seam to shut down by itself and the light went red. in a few seconds i pushed the power button on the remote and it was back up and running so i guess the red light means something.

The red light is displayed while it is rebooting. Something crashed the box.
post #476 of 1483 Old 07-06-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

In todays San Jose Mercury News there is a Fry's Electronics ad with a CM-7000 for $19.99 after the $40 coupon. Apparently Fry's now accepts coupons.
post #477 of 1483 Old 07-06-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I wonder if possibly why we are seeing this on mostly the wx channel is because it is quite easy to see a out of focus picture with all the graphics on the weather channels?

I was thinking that maybe it had something to do with the ultra-low bandwith/bitrates used for these channels. Maybe the tuner has a more difficult time "tuning" it.
post #478 of 1483 Old 07-06-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp View Post

In todays San Jose Mercury News there is a Fry's Electronics ad with a CM-7000 for $19.99 after the $40 coupon. Apparently Fry's now accepts coupons.

Yeah, somebody already reported that somewhere around here at least a week ago.
post #479 of 1483 Old 07-06-2008, 11:56 AM

I bought two CM-7000's at Fry's today. They are now fully connected to the automated redemption system. Interestingly the credit card slip from the register had two signature lines, one for the $40 card redemption and one for the credit card. The $40 card redemption line was preprinted with the name of the person to whom it had been issued, in this case a neighbor. I just signed my own name on both lines. Nobody cared.
post #480 of 1483 Old 07-06-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I was thinking that maybe it had something to do with the ultra-low bandwith/bitrates used for these channels. Maybe the tuner has a more difficult time "tuning" it.

Also a good thought Ramm. The bitrate must be awful on NBC wx since their main carrier is 1080i. I really notice macroblocking at scene transitions too, another sign of starved bitrates.

zqxthree-Same thing at CC when I redeemed coupons. Had to sign 2 receipts, one had my mothers name but no one cared that I signed them with my name.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page