Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2008, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hman414 View Post

I stopped by the Fry's in Downers Grove, IL last night (7/17/2008) and the price was $79.99 for a CM-7000.

The current sale paper they had posted did not show the CM-7000 for $59.99.

I mentioned I saw a post saying the CM-7000 was on sale, but the manager stood firm at $79.99.

Did anyone purchase a CM-7000 for $59.99 this week at the Downers Grove, IL Fry's location?

Take it back and get a price adjustment (or return and re-buy). Fry's sale prices are usually good Friday through Tuesday. It was on sale last week in-store and it is listed on sale as ("$19.99 after coupon") in this weekend's ad, starting 7/18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymann View Post

Take it back and get a price adjustment (or return and re-buy). Fry's sale prices are usually good Friday through Tuesday. It was on sale last week in-store and it is listed on sale as ("$19.99 after coupon") in this weekend's ad, starting 7/18.

I just got off the phone with a frys.com sales rep and I asked her about matching the price of their in store sales/prices or of other online competitors and she said "no not really".

I think there are other places online selling the box for 69...which is better than 79 I guess. I've decided that I want to order two of these though...but I'd rather not spend an arm and a leg for it.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

A station in Binghamton NY that is curently temporarly using channel 4.1 until next year, has reported (on their web site) that there is a issue with this box on the low band. Apparently 'impulse noise" (common on the low band) wrecks havic with this. Causing freezes and audio problems even if the signal is strong.

They contacted Channel Master, which was already aware of the problem.

Impulse noise will mess up just about any receiver. It's like the effect a noisy phone line has on a modem.

I can't imagine what problem would be specific to the CM box, unless the box is generating the noise!

You should be able to find sources of noise by roaming around with an AM radio not tuned to a local station. The solution will involve moving the antenna away from sources of noise (electronics, fluorescent lights, motorized appliances, etc.) as well as using shielded cable between the antenna and the box(es) to keep the signal as clean as possible.

If you have noise coming from a power pole, the utility company is supposed to fix it.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser View Post

Has anyone been able to compare the CM CECB with the Apex DT250 with respect to sound/picture quality and tuner/reception quality? I have the DT250, am planning to get another box or two, and it seems like the CM and the Zenith 900/901 are the two most people are raving about (which means I may get one of each).

I have both the CM and the Apex, and with S-video the picture quality on both is excellent. The improvement over composite is particularly impressive on HDTV broadcasts (even though S-video is nowhere near true HDTV). I can't honestly tell a difference between the two boxes, though.

I prefer the CM to the Apex on user interface grounds, but the Apex is more feature-rich (the CM doesn't have APT or a smart antenna jack).

I don't have a Zenith/Insignia, but from what I've read those boxes do have some nice features not found on the CM or Apex, particularly with respect to setting the aspect ratio. However, the Zenith/Insignia don't have S-video.

Quote:

What's the lowest price pre-coupon that one can get the CM for?

The best I've seen is $59.99 when it's on sale at Fry's. (I had to pay $68.99 for mine because Fry's didn't start taking the coupons until after mine expired. I bought my CM from Summit Source.)
Old 07-20-2008, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Does the S-Video output a proper 16:9 anamorphic signal? I've seen a comment that it does not output 16:9, but it does output anamorphic. So I'm not sure how to interpret that. Also the CM web site states 16x9 letterbox, and I do not want this. I want to be able to record, for example, CBS-HD 16:9 and play back on a 16:9 WS TV and have the image fill the screen as if I tuned in the original HD broadcast. Of course the resolution will not be the same, but will the image size be the same?
Old 07-21-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:

I just got off the phone with a frys.com sales rep and I asked her about matching the price of their in store sales/prices or of other online competitors and she said "no not really".

In my experience, if you're within the return period, you should have no trouble. They would much rather adjust the price than take a return. If they don't adjust the price, then you can actually return it. Then walk over and buy one at the lower price.

I'm not sure how you phrased the question, but obviously the operator was trying to discourage you. Probably the best approach is to take the box to the service desk and say you want to return the unit. When they ask why, you explain that the price is lower and see if they can do a partial refund rather than a return. That would be the best way to do it, since dealing with a full refund from the coupon might be tricky.

Just pay attention to the weekly ad prices and dates and make sure you go to the store then. This box is still on sale through Tuesday.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Does the S-Video output a proper 16:9 anamorphic signal?

Yes, when set at "full". As far as recording though, it depends on whether your recorder can record it that way or not.

When I record to my HDD/DVD recorder's hard drives it always does. To DVD you might have to use DVD-RAM, though.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrrroger View Post

Here are my results with Zenith DTT900 versus the Channel Master CM7000:

- Rabbit Ears = 4 stations versus 5 stations.

- CM4228 = 8 stations versus 13 stations.

- Amplified set-top antenna = Same number of stations but the Zenith experienced breakups, whereas the CM7000 was a solid 99-100 the whole time. No freezing or macroblocking.

IMHO the CM7000 is the better box, with the ability to display stations as low as 10 on the strength bar. At 10 the picture sometimes "smears" like a water-color painting, but at 20 it looks near-perfect. I was able to watch an entire episode of Cold Case from Philadelphia 50 miles away and it hovered between 20-40 on the strength bar.It appears the CM7000 has better error-correction.

rrrrrroger, thank you for providing a very useful critical evaluation of the CM-7000.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Is anyone here using the CM7000 with a Channel Master antenna rotator with remote control? I'm wondering what happens if you select (for instance) channel 22.1 on the CM7000, does the rotator turn to compass bearing 221 or turn to the memorized channel 22 location? Or does it react at all? The reason I ask is that both use Pioneer cable box codes.

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
Old 07-21-2008, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

both use Pioneer cable box codes.

Interesting. I have CM's control box as a spare. I ordered the 7000. I will post when I know.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:20 PM

The recorder should record whatever signal is presented to it. It doesn't care if it's a full picture or a letterbox picture. It will just grab it. I already tested the Zenith DTT900 versus Dish DTVpal. Although both received 4 stations, the DTVpal had lots of macroblocking on the weak channels so there was effectively only 1 watchable station. 4 stations versus only 1.

Here are my results with Zenith DTT900 versus the Channel Master CM7000:

- Rabbit Ears = 4 stations versus 5 stations.

- CM4228 = 8 stations versus 13 stations.

- Amplified settop antenna = Same number of stations for both boxes (5), but the Zenith experienced breakups, whereas the CM7000 was a solid 99-100 the whole time. No freezing or macroblocking.

IMHO the CM7000 is the better box, with the ability to display stations as low as 10 on the strength bar. At 10 the picture sometimes "smears" like a water-color painting, but at 20 it looks near-perfect. I was able to watch an entire episode of Cold Case from Philadelphia 50 miles away and it hovered between 15-40 on the strength bar. It appears the CM7000 has better error-correction, and thus can pickup the weaker stations.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Yes, when set at "full". As far as recording though, it depends on whether your recorder can record it that way or not.

When I record to my HDD/DVD recorder's hard drives it always does. To DVD you might have to use DVD-RAM, though.

I picked up a CM-7000 on sale from Fry's and played with it a bit using a composite video connection as I didn't have a spare S-Video cable handy. The picture looks pretty good on the channels that I was able to receive with a 300 ohm twin lead just hanging over a table lamp. I had to turn up the volume all the way & the audio was still a little low, but within an acceptable range. For the heck of it I tried a paper clip antenna that I read others had some luck with. I got a few channels but they were smeary and/or frozen, so this did not work for me at all.

My TV has to be set to Full in order to get a 16:9 WS image, whether connected directly to the CM-7000 (in Full mode also) or to the Panny DVD recorder hooked to the CM-7000. Looked the same whether just feeding thru the Panny or playing back a DVD-RAM. I did not try a DVD-R yet, but I'm guessing will be the same as the RAM.

When the Panny plays back a recording of an HD program made with its own digital tuner on DVD-RAM, it automatically sets my TV to Full and displays a proper image. Just like the original program or a commercial DVD. But if the digital HD program was recorded on DVD-R, I have to set the TV to Full. Not a big deal, just a push of the remote's button. This is the same step I have to do with the CM-7000, but again not a big deal.

It appears your HDD/DVD recorder's hard drive records 16:9 properly, but I'm curious how your TV handles this. Does it automatically set the TV to the correct mode, or do you have to set it?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I leave my TV on "full". The 16:9 material is normal, and the 4:3 stuff on those channels has black bars on the sides - but the 480i channels are automatically stretched. So I have to manually change them to 4:3 whenever it's something I actually want to watch (can't stand that "fathead" look, although it doesn't do a bad job. This is when using the CM-7000. When I use my HD Sony DVR, I can set each type of channel differently.)

I don't mind, since I really don't plan on using the CM much or at all on that set anyways. I'll most likely be using it mainly on the 32" analog set run through either my old Panny or old Sony HDD/DVD recorder (the IR blasters of both will control it).
Old 07-23-2008, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Whidbey; The CM7000 remote doesn't appear to affect the 9521 rotor control box (so far), but the 9521 remote DOES affect the CM7000 receiver. At least the on/off & ch. up/down functions for starters.
Also the signal indicator (notice I didn't say 'strength'), is way too generous. It is fast responding which might be a double edge sword when 'aiming' an antenna. Interesting the tri colored LED on the front panel. Red for 1st boot up, amber for standby and green for on. I didn't see any of that in the skimpy manual.

I love those five large unused buttons on the remote. Nice to have extra unused buttons on your remote. Also glad they used a small menu button.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
How many hours of EPG does the CM7000 offer? I'm in LA area & I see about 12 hours of programs on each station. There is approx 6 hours on the 1st page & arrow up or down brings me a 2nd page with another 6 hours of programs.

Someone on another forum said the the CM7000 had up to 7 days worth. When I hit the right arrow, it brings me to the program guide for the next channel. Does this box offer more than 12 hours?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I love those five large unused buttons on the remote. Nice to have extra unused buttons on your remote.

they are for practices, people who can't work the buttons right can learn on them with out screwing anything up
Old 07-24-2008, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

LMAOROTF.
The Guide is 12 hours, same as the Apex DT250.

Ok, a real question; anyone have any idea on those five pair of PCB holes labeled on the left side of the main circuit board?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...5&d=1206372641

Old 07-24-2008, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-rdx View Post

How many hours of EPG does the CM7000 offer? I'm in LA area & I see about 12 hours of programs on each station. There is approx 6 hours on the 1st page & arrow up or down brings me a 2nd page with another 6 hours of programs.

Someone on another forum said the the CM7000 had up to 7 days worth. When I hit the right arrow, it brings me to the program guide for the next channel. Does this box offer more than 12 hours?

yes the box is supposed to give you 7 days of program times , in theory . Not even the DTVPAL give the full EPG cause no one is sending out that much information yet . I find it has gone over 2 days on 2 channels but that has been it and early on when i first hooked it up. My guess they aren't going to send out the full digital stuff until after the plug in pulled.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Ok, a real question; anyone have any idea on those five pair of PCB holes labeled on the left side of the main circuit board?

Hi there

It's for a 10-pin JTAG header. The signal names (TCK, TMS, TDO etc) are in silk-screen above the holes.

Regards
Old 07-24-2008, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And what can we do with that?

Old 07-24-2008, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger666 View Post

My guess they aren't going to send out the full digital stuff until after the plug in pulled.

Maybe. Hopefully.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

And what can we do with that?

IMO, for an end-user, that would depend on how much time you have.
You're going to need a JTAG adapter to connect to your host PC, something like this:
http://www.usbjtag.com/usbjtag.php

That should get you access to the ST20 32-bit processor that's in the STx7707 SoChip. So then you should study up on that processor and its instruction set:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...cs/mXqxtvr.pdf

After you upload memory from the CM-7000 to your PC, then you can try to disassemble about one or two megabytes of kernel and application code with:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...d.php?t=751858

All this would be a lot easier with schematics or at least a HW manual on the STx7707 SoC that described the various registers. But you probably have to put up some money and/or sign an NDA with ST.

Regards
Old 07-24-2008, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Guide is 12 hours, same as the Apex DT250.

Wikipedia says the CM guide is 12 hours but the Apex guide is 3 days.

Of course Wikipedia has been wrong before, but I can confirm the Apex will go out at least 17 hours. I've never seen more than 12 hours on the CM.

That said, I like the CM guide better. It's more intuitive, and unlike the Apex, you can browse different channels without dismissing the guide.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I just looked at a few channels and scrolled to the end of the listing. They were all around 12 hours. That's not to say it can't go farther. It just might be the stations are only putting in 12 hrs. of data.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I just looked at a few channels and scrolled to the end of the listing. They were all around 12 hours. That's not to say it can't go farther. It just might be the stations are only putting in 12 hrs. of data.

But it could also be that the unit displays only the next twelve hours' worth, even if the station is supplying more.  You'd have to find (a) another device, which will go past twelve hours in its display and (b) a station sending more than twelve hours of future guide data.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone comment on that removable clear plastic front cover?

My biggest complaints with this are the;
1. inability of adding a channel by simply directly entering the physical channel number without going through the hassle of a update scan,
2. overly sensistive signal garph and
3. lack on a 'dot' or 'hyphen' key, you can't directly access a sub-channel. Not a big deal, but since the button exists in the number matrix of the remote, there is no reason why it shouldn't be there.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:11 PM

Not long ago, I received two Channel Master CM-7000 converter boxes using my two coupons. Of course, my big reason for choosing this model was for the S-Video output.

For the most part, everything works well (using a Terk HDTVi indoor antenna for all my local stations 5-15 miles away) and provides a nice sharp picture on my 50" Hitachi CRT rear projection TV (except for the occasional fuzzy picture tune-in on standard-def sub channels, as other posts on this thread have already noted).

But here's the big problem with the Channel Master CM-7000 for those of you living in the Evansville, IN DMA (Designated Market Area): After a lot of research (as I will explain here), I have definitively concluded that this brand and model is incompatible with the digital signal from WTVW Fox 7 (listed as 7-1, operates in spectrum channel 28).

I have this hiccup problem (sound is interrupted, picture pixelates) sometimes as long as every 6 seconds but sometimes as often as every second (despite a signal strength of 100). This occurs with both of my CM-7000 converter boxes. I then decided to take this CM-7000 box and try it within a mile and plain sight of WTVW's transmitting tower, and still had the same hiccup problem with WTVW, while all other stations about 15 miles away worked just fine. And if that wasn't enough, I even went to Cincinnati where there's another station operating digitally in spectrum channel 28 (WPTO Think TV 14-1) and had no problem (and no hiccups) receiving this station with the CM-7000.

Then out of curiosity for the Sansonic FT-300A converter box, I decided to pick one up at Target and try it. This converter box works wonderfully on all my local channels (including WTVW Fox 7). And even though this box doesn't have an S-Video output, I still get just as sharp of a picture using composite video on my Hitachi 50" big screen with it's 3-D comb filter circuitry.

Needless to say, I will be providing all of this research to Channel Master and to the Chief Engineer of WTVW in an effort to try and fix this incompatibility issue.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

technoevv; Have you seen posts from a few days ago regarding a low band station (temp. using physical ch. 4) in Binghamton NY that has similar issues with this box?

BTW, welcome to the forums.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:30 PM

[quote=videobruce;14373534]technoevv; Have you seen posts from a few days ago regarding a low band station (temp. using physical ch. 4) in Binghamton NY that has similar issues with this box?

I just looked at those posts as well as the web page from WIVT in Binghampton admitting that their digital signal 34-1 (spectrum channel 4) does not work well with the Channel Master CM-7000 converter box. I certainly hope that the engineers at WIVT aren't just leaving the issue intact with a mere suggestion of getting a different converter box. Working in the broadcast television industry, I can speak from experience that there is possibly a software or firmware upgrade that WIVT (in Binghampton, NY) and WTVW (here in Evansville, IN) can employ within their digital broadcast encoders. They may also have an issue with the exciter at the transmitter not working well with the CM-7000. These are just a couple of possibilities.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I talked to their engineer and he is blaming it on impulse noise.