Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1483 Old 08-24-2008, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser View Post

I see what you mean. I guess that particular post was one of the ones wiped a week or so ago when there were server problems or whatever and every post from the first few weeks of August got wiped. I'll repost the cached version along with some pics (taken from http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:...ng_en&ie=UTF-8 ):

nwiser, is your test pattern offset thru RF, composite or s video Is the offset the same via each method??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1483 Old 08-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbonater View Post

60Hz Hum

It's a ground loop. You've got the downstairs box on one circuit, connected through the coax to the upstairs box on another circuit, with the ground wires also connected at the circuit panel. Something's leaking a small amount of current into ground on one or both of the circuits; unfortunately, many switch-mode power supplies can do that. It could even be the UPSs. A coax ground isolator should fix the problem.
post #633 of 1483 Old 08-24-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople View Post

Nice

Your pretty sure it was the buttons on the top of the remote primarily that you might have hit?

yeah...it's been several weeks but I know the final key I hit was the "info" button...but as I said, I may have hit the "option" button right before I hit the info button. since I wasnt trying to find a secret menu or anything, I wasnt really paying close attention.

one thing that I dont think I mentioned in my original post was that when I exited out of the diagnostic menu, the box did/needed a hard reset (where the light on the front goes red). that may tie in with a key combination being pressed right after the cm7000 has been plugged in and the light is still red.

perhaps the "unused" buttons on the remote do have a purpose after all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmvine View Post

nwiser, is your test pattern offset thru RF, composite or s video Is the offset the same via each method??

when that picture was taken, it was through the s-video, but yes the offset was the same for both the RF output and s-video. I have several other CECBs whose image is centered, so I know it's the CM and not my tv.

Some have reported the same issue, others have reported their image is perfectly centered. I could have exchanged mine for another two, but I'd have had to pay shipping, and if the issue is realted to a particular batch of boxes that they have on hand and not just my two, I'd be wasting my already overspent money, only to have the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople View Post

Those pic links work, the ones on google are someones livingroom.

haha, I just looked at those pictures in Googles cache. that's funny and strange at the same time. it certainly isnt my living room...and as you can see it wasnt the pictures I originally attached to the post.
post #634 of 1483 Old 08-24-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post

It's a ground loop. You've got the downstairs box on one circuit, connected through the coax to the upstairs box on another circuit, with the ground wires also connected at the circuit panel. Something's leaking a small amount of current into ground on one or both of the circuits; unfortunately, many switch-mode power supplies can do that. It could even be the UPSs. A coax ground isolator should fix the problem.

nybbler thanks for the advice. It turns out the upstairs circuit is has pretty thin copper wire 14 gauge at best maybe 16 gauge. When its under load it generates about 0.6 volts of AC the same as diffferential I was getting on the Coax (VS a true earth ground). I'll Google the coax ground isolator and see how much they are. Right now I only have one box hooked up at a time because it can't be good to be pumping even low voltage AC through the boxes. I was very impressed by the build quality of the CM 7000 so this 60Hz hum is totally on my end.
post #635 of 1483 Old 08-24-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:

yeah...it's been several weeks but I know the final key I hit was the "info" button...but as I said, I may have hit the "option" button right before I hit the info button. since I wasnt trying to find a secret menu or anything, I wasnt really paying close attention.

one thing that I dont think I mentioned in my original post was that when I exited out of the diagnostic menu, the box did/needed a hard reset (where the light on the front goes red). that may tie in with a key combination being pressed right after the cm7000 has been plugged in and the light is still red.

perhaps the "unused" buttons on the remote do have a purpose after all?

when that picture was taken, it was through the s-video, but yes the offset was the same for both the RF output and s-video. I have several other CECBs whose image is centered, so I know it's the CM and not my tv.

Some have reported the same issue, others have reported their image is perfectly centered. I could have exchanged mine for another two, but I'd have had to pay shipping, and if the issue is realted to a particular batch of boxes that they have on hand and not just my two, I'd be wasting my already overspent money, only to have the same problem.

haha, I just looked at those pictures in Googles cache. that's funny and strange at the same time. it certainly isnt my living room...and as you can see it wasnt the pictures I originally attached to the post.

nwiser I just got my boxes from Summit source 4 days ago and they are perfectly centered on my 1999 36" Toshiba that I had calibrated ages ago in the service mode with a calibration DVD (The projector is perfectly centered as well). So you may still be in luck, but it does sound like a crap shoot or just a problem with the CM 7000 and your brand of TV.
post #636 of 1483 Old 08-25-2008, 07:25 PM

Yeah, ever since home video entertainment equipment started to get connected to home audio entertainment equipment, ground loop hum has been an issue. Measure that ground-breaker when it gets there, some market cheap ones that are only 100-ohm resitors in series types instead of true capacitive coupling types. At that high a voltage differential 100-ohms wont help much...

I asked a little bit back if anyone has seen online merchants with the CM-7000 for less than the usual $69'ish that isn't penalized by a higher S&H to comphensate. Is anyone finding ads/places to get these for less yet?

I have until 09-09-08 to purchase.

James Clerk Maxwell spins in his grave,
not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
Doppler Effect: Effect of stupid ideas appearing smarter when they come at you rapidly!
post #637 of 1483 Old 08-25-2008, 07:42 PM

This is the one I bought 634-001 Xantech Ground Beaker it 250MHZ so I hope it is true capacitive coupling. It cost $12 with shipping the cheapest I could find of that model.
post #638 of 1483 Old 08-25-2008, 08:16 PM

Wow "250MHZ" ?!
I sure hope thats a typo...

A typical capacitive coupling style of ground loop breaker acts as a type of high pass filter by nature at under 5-Mhz. Perhaps they meant to type 2.50-Mhz.

You will not see many of your channels and any pay channel or PPV (phone-home) devices that communicate back (<50-Mhz) will fail to connect and their watch-dog firmware will likely shut them down as they are now wise to the 50-Mhz high pass filter trick to keep pay channels for free (after you cancel) and have written that into most current equipments firmware.
(5.75-47.75-Mhz = Sub CATV Band - T7-T13 btw)

Example of what you wont get.
RF 5.0-88.0-Mhz = Broadcast TV 02-06
RF 174.0-216.0-Mhz = Broadcast TV 07-13
RF 216.0-300.0-Mhz = Super Band CATV 23-36

See my point?

Don't worry, the lowest UHF channel (RF 470.0–476-Mhz = UHF 14) wont be effected (LOL)

Of course it could be that it might only go "Up" to 250-Mhz...

I'll call them tomorrow and ask, you did mean this one right?.
http://www.smarthome.com/81285.html

From these people?
http://www.xantech.com/products/ir_products/063400.htm

Listed as:
"Order# 063400 UPC#:4277763400"

For future reference people, take two nuts, screws, and 300-to-75 ohm converter balun's.
Connect the flat-lead wires together with the nuts/screws and connect your F-Connectors accordingly to test for ground loop related problems.

not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
Doppler Effect: Effect of stupid ideas appearing smarter when they come at you rapidly!
post #639 of 1483 Old 08-26-2008, 10:16 PM

Here is the one I bought ironically a little cheaper, but the same part.

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByMa...h/Item/634-00/

The MHZ was listed in a seperate link.
post #640 of 1483 Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 PM

This is the link with the 250MHZ reference. It is a different product, but saw it in the search results and thought that was one of the specs.

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/g...isolation.html
post #641 of 1483 Old 08-27-2008, 12:04 AM

Oh my,

"GLI250"

(That is the only reference on that page to 250-Mhz...)

That is an old-fashioned BNC (British Navel Connector) quarter-turn type of ground insulator that goes between the computer and it's monitor that had seperate Red, Green, Blue, Vertical, and Horizontal wires.

I'm sure glad that wasn't the item you ordered (LOL)

not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
post #642 of 1483 Old 08-27-2008, 01:16 PM

Yeah I didn't even open the link when I saw it came up in the search I wrongly assumed it was associated with the 063400 part. I hope it works because its very handy to have them both on the same antenna. I'll post back when it comes in.
post #643 of 1483 Old 08-27-2008, 02:48 PM

I can't believe it came already. I used the cheapest shipping option and ordered it late on 8/24/08!

It works perfectly. The hum went from mildly annoying with the CM 7000 volume turned to 100% (if you used less than 100% it was very bad). To non existent even when I had the stereo turned up to max and the CM 7000 volume turned to 10% at this setting the hum was unbearable before. The good news is my boxes should be protected from the AC fluctuations and now I can turn up the stereo amps attached to both and just use the volume control on the CM 7000 if I want to.

As far as I can tell there was absolutely no signal loss using the ground breaker.

Here is the link to the ground breaker.

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByMa...h/Item/634-00/
post #644 of 1483 Old 08-27-2008, 03:28 PM

Cool beans. They are usually either capacitive coupled ground circuit with direct connect center connector or just a single toroidal core dual wound for each end to exchange magnetically across it. If you ever care to know, you actually don't measure the two grounds, you measure the two center conductors. The grounds are open on both of course, but there is either a small resistance for coils or none for capacitive model I've noticed...but I just connect two 75-to-300-Ohm baluns back-to-back.

not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
post #645 of 1483 Old 08-27-2008, 03:47 PM

"connect two 75-to-300-Ohm baluns back-to-back."

I thought about doing that, but since the cost was minimal and I only have one 75-to-300-Ohm balun that I may use to make another 4-bay antenna I thought going the premade route was the best. Its quite sturdy and compact which is a plus for me .
post #646 of 1483 Old 08-29-2008, 06:22 AM

Any recommendations on best companies to purchase the CM-7000 over the phone? Has anyone seen this unit in any of the stores taking coupons in South Florida? Thanks.
post #647 of 1483 Old 08-29-2008, 11:47 AM

Dont get it from Summit source...thats all I can say. They had the nerve to send me an email today about how you could get a free S-video cable with your CM-7000 order by entering a promo code. After the hassle I experienced with the CM-7000 boxes not having centered images, and them wanting me to foot the bill for shipping to have them exchange the boxes, only to take a chance that the new ones wouldnt be centered either, I wouldnt recommend them.
post #648 of 1483 Old 08-29-2008, 09:28 PM

SolidSignal.com was a smooth transaction.
Ordered 06-23-08
In hand 06-28-08

$9.95 shipping though, thats why I've been asking in here for a better deal too.

not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
post #649 of 1483 Old 08-30-2008, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
I had no problems with Solid Signal, either - at least not for this box. Got it the next day, actually. And there are no problems with the box, including the centering issue that a few have reported.
post #650 of 1483 Old 08-30-2008, 06:55 PM

Does SolidSignal.com charge one's credit-card when the order is placed or when it gets shipped?
post #651 of 1483 Old 08-30-2008, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

They charge you when the order is placed.
post #652 of 1483 Old 08-31-2008, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Dont get it from Summit source...thats all I can say. They had the nerve to send me an email today about how you could get a free S-video cable with your CM-7000 order by entering a promo code. After the hassle I experienced with the CM-7000 boxes not having centered images, and them wanting me to foot the bill for shipping to have them exchange the boxes, only to take a chance that the new ones wouldnt be centered either, I wouldnt recommend them.

......Your beef is not with Summit Source!
They don't manufacture the units!
Let's put things into proper perspective.
Your beef is with Channel Master only.
Their boxes have flaws (as do others). Purchasing them elsewhere will
not guarantee any difference whatsoever.
post #653 of 1483 Old 08-31-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

......Your beef is not with Summit Source!
They don't manufacture the units!
Let's put things into proper perspective.
Your beef is with Channel Master only.
Their boxes have flaws (as do others). Purchasing them elsewhere will
not guarantee any difference whatsoever.

ummm..no. my problem is with Summit Source and them making me pay shipping when they sold the defective product. just because they didnt make it, doesnt mean they should be absolved of guilt. I would feel the same way if I had gotten it anywhere else.

if a store sells toys for children that have lead in them, they are just as much at fault as the manufacturer for not knowing who's making their product and if its bad for the consumers welfare or not.

you must work for SummitSource.
post #654 of 1483 Old 08-31-2008, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

ummm..no. my problem is with Summit Source and them making me pay shipping when they sold the defective product. just because they didnt make it, doesnt mean they should be absolved of guilt. I would feel the same way if I had gotten it anywhere else.

if a store sells toys for children that have lead in them, they are just as much at fault as the manufacturer for not knowing who's making their product and if its bad for the consumers welfare or not.

you must work for SummitSource.

Firstly.....I don't work for Summit Source (note my location vs. theirs)
but had a very good experience with them......
and would recommend them (as I already have......and others have been satisfied as well).

Secondly......Although I agree with the shipping charges issue......
you are recommending that people not buy from them.......basically because
you had an (isolated) problem.

They didn't sell you defective boxes intentionally......it's just the nature of products today to be less reliable than ever......combined with bad luck!

Case in point......Channel Master acknowledges that there's a problem with the switches (on the unit itself) that all "chatter". This can present a major problem for some.
Yet.....they're doing nothing to resolve it......they simply don't care!

BTW......If a store sell toys with lead in them but is unaware of this fact.....
it's solely the manufacturers fault, not theirs. Once they have knowledge of it.....
it's a whole different story!
Rest assured that Summit Source was unaware of your (rare and unusual) problem.
post #655 of 1483 Old 08-31-2008, 11:37 PM

Anyone knows how often Frys put this on sale for $59.99? I am considering getting one in next month or so.
post #656 of 1483 Old 09-01-2008, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseShip View Post

Anyone knows how often Frys put this on sale for $59.99? I am considering getting one in next month or so.

Hi there

It seemed like about 4 weeks in a row, Fry's had the CM converter on sale from Sunday to Tuesday. But that stopped about 2 weeks ago, and now Fry's also has the AirLink 101 converter box to sell. Maybe you'll get lucky next month if they're over-stocked.

Regards
post #657 of 1483 Old 09-02-2008, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Has anyone been able to compare the CM CECB with the Apex DT250 with respect to sound/picture quality and tuner/reception quality? I have the DT250, am planning to get another box or two, and it seems like the CM and the Zenith 900/901 are the two most people are raving about (which means I may get one of each).

I have several CMs and recently compared side by side with a DT250. No comparison really. CM was better PQ, guide and reception. The CM also seemed to run a little cooler than the Apex although the Zenith beats both on that count. I exchanged the Apex for a Insignia(Zenith). Too bad BB doesn't sell CMs otherwise I'd have a 5th
post #658 of 1483 Old 09-02-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I have several CMs and recently compared side by side with a DT250. No comparison really. CM was better PQ, guide and reception. The CM also seemed to run a little cooler than the Apex although the Zenith beats both on that count. I exchanged the Apex for a Insignia(Zenith). Too bad BB doesn't sell CMs otherwise I'd have a 5th

Actually when I posted that I hadnt yet gotten my CM-7000's. i wish that were still the case...or that they were at least available locally, lirkf rom BB as you said.

While others seem to have positive things to say, there are a few of us who arent as pleased with out boxes. In comparison to my Apex DT250, the menus and channel information is much harder to read, which is sad as it's actually not that easy to read on the DT250.

IMO the CM-7000 signal meter is a joke, I get dropouts and pixelation at 100% on channels that my other CECBs seem to hold steady on, and my image is shifted to the left by an inch or so, which makes letterbox viewing uncomfortable and pretty much forced me to keep the thing on Zoom 2, which makes me mad as I lose a lot of the picture. I could send it back, but they want me to pay for shipping on it, which consideirng how much it already cost me both with having it shipped to me int he first place and the over priced nature of the thing, I refuse to do.

If I had been using it for a few months to a year and it suddenly broke or I broke it, that would be different, but the image shift defect was like that when I got it, so I dont feel its right to be paying to return it, especially since they wont test the ones they're gonna send me in return. If they're defective too, am I gonna have to pay shipping again and again until its right? (The same goes for that piece of junk DTVPal I have.)

I am not a happy camper with these CECBs. This digital transition that we've been "forced" into, not only doesnt offer me a better picture, but the $40 (x2) we're given by the gvt is a joke considering all the extra and hidden expense we incur. To top it all off, a lot of the exprense we incur is due to the retailers greed...I would guarantee only a select few of these boxes cost over $35 to make...meaning if they werent so greedy, we could have trese boxes for free and they would still make a volume profit.

Sorry for the rant...thanks for posting your experience even though its contradictory to mine. It's actually good when these CECB's work like they're supposed to for people.
post #659 of 1483 Old 09-02-2008, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Sorry to hear about your CECB problems. While initially I was not happy about having to buy converter boxes for all my DVDRs and a couple TV's, for me, in a strong signal area I'm very happy with the PQ of HD stations. SD stations are another matter. If I was forced to watch only SD channels I'd not be happy. IMO a good analog signal(not that easy to come by) is hands down better than a SD digital channel. The macroblocking alone drives me nuts on a bitstarved SD channel. Since 99.9% of my TV viewing is off a HD broadcast(even if just a SD source upconverted to HD by the station) I'm quite happy with the conversion.
I do agree the font/menu of the CM pales compared to something like the Zenith (probably best in class for that) in my case anyway for basic HD channel viewing, the CM is the best I've seen.
How I use my CMs is to record the output via S-video to my Panasonic DVDRs. I then play that recording back to my HD TV. I really don't look at the font or CC. I'm mainly concerned with the basic PQ output for viewing programs.
I also had a problem with one of my CMs. It had to due with poor/fluctuating signal strength. Stark would ship me a new box for free, but it was up to me to pay the shipping back to them. I think this is kind of the norm for mail order places, which is why I really prefer to shop B&M stores. Too bad the CM isn't available at more local stores. In MN we don't have Frys stores.
post #660 of 1483 Old 09-03-2008, 10:02 AM

I've only noted a couple posts related to the low volume output of the CM7000. I really like most of the features of my CM, but the low volume level is really annoying when someone forgets to turn down the volume before changing inputs. Do I have an isolated volume issue, or do all the CM's have much lower volume output than the other brands?
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page