Channel Master CM-7000 Digital to Analog Converter - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1483 Old 12-23-2008, 10:06 AM
wws

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using a CM-7000 with a 10 yo Panasonic CT-32SF35 TV. The CM is a good match for this set, since not only does it have S-video inputs, it also has an RF output for a 'cable descrambler box' and 2nd antenna input. Due to this flexibility, there is not much need for a analog pass through. I also have all three of the CM outputs (RF, composite, s-video) hooked up to the Panasonic. Using the picture-in-picture, it is easy to A/B the various inputs.

Comparing the s-video against the composite, the results really depend on whether the Panasonics 3D digital comb filter is enabled or not. With the comb filter turned on, I can't see much difference between the pictures. With the filter turned off, the differences are quite noticable. An easy test of this is to bring up the CMs menu. With the black lettering against the orange background, the dot crawl mess is obvious on composite, and gone with s-video. Turn the comb filter back on and the two look identical.

This would seem to indicate that the s-video doesn't buy much - because the comb filter cleans things up so well. However a quirk on the CT-32SF35 (or at least my particular unit) has been that when the comb filter is turned on, there is very audible background noise through my sound system. So it has been advantageous to use s-video as much as possible and leave the comb filter turned off.

Comparing the RF to either composite or s-video is also interesting. A test that really shows this is to bring up the CM diagnostic menu (down, down, info) and turn on the video test. This brings up a bunch of vertical and horizontal bars, and also some circles, on the screen. With the composite or s-video connection, there is a single faint repeating vertical bar to the right of the centermost vertical bars. With the RF connection, there are multiple repeating bars. I though the CM might be overloading the Panasonics tuner and put a variable attenuator in the line. Turning it all the way down to the point where noise starting appearing in the picture, the multiple bars were still there. So now I wonder if the RF modulator inside the CM may be slightly overdriven?

Speaking of the video test, I also notice that my image is shifted to the left a bit. No difference between RF/composite/s-video.

Sensitivity-wise, the CM is much better than my other converter - a Samsung SIR-T451 that I've had for a few years on a different TV. Both use the same antenna, a rooftop Winegard. Also the CM seems to recover from signal dropouts much faster than the Samsung.

One other feature that works ok is the use of the Pioneer cable box control signals. The Panasonic remote has cable box support, and Pioneer is one of the boxes they support. It only controls the power and channel up/down functions. One can do direct entry of the channel/subchannel number too. (No 'enter' button though - so after entering the digits one has to wait 3-4 seconds for the timeout to occur.) The CM volume control does not work from the Panasonic remote.

The only feature I miss on the CM is the ability to manually add (or even just display) channels that have not been found by a scan. It would be nice to enter a channel you think 'should' be there. Then turn the antenna while watching the signal strength meter to try to pick it up. It seems like it would be a trivial software change for CM to provide this...

In summary, again I think the CM-7000 is a great match to this particular set. And anyone who has a TV with s-video, but lesser comb filtering capabilities would certainly appreciate it. For high end TVs with good (e.g., 3D digital) comb filters, other boxes might perform about as well, and offer a different feature mix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1483 Old 12-24-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wws View Post

I also have all three of the CM outputs (RF, composite, s-video) hooked up to the Panasonic.
Comparing the RF to either composite or s-video is also interesting. A test that really shows this is to bring up the CM diagnostic menu (down, down, info) and turn on the video test. This brings up a bunch of vertical and horizontal bars, and also some circles, on the screen. With the composite or s-video connection, there is a single faint repeating vertical bar to the right of the centermost vertical bars. With the RF connection, there are multiple repeating bars. I though the CM might be overloading the Panasonics tuner and put a variable attenuator in the line. Turning it all the way down to the point where noise starting appearing in the picture, the multiple bars were still there. So now I wonder if the RF modulator inside the CM may be slightly overdriven?

Speaking of the video test, I also notice that my image is shifted to the left a bit. No difference between RF/composite/s-video.

In CM-7000, is "RF out" working OK ? How much is the difference between "RF out" & composite ?

Is "RF out" connection to TV, of same quality in both CM-7000 and DTT901 ?

Thanks.
post #993 of 1483 Old 12-24-2008, 08:43 AM
wws

Quote:
Originally Posted by userav View Post

In CM-7000, is "RF out" working OK ? How much is the difference between "RF out" & composite ?

The 'repeating vertical bars' are easy to see with the diagnostic. Depending on how critically you watch a real program you may not notice it, due to all the motion that is going on.

Colors are a bit better with composite too.

Quote:
Is "RF out" connection to TV, of same quality in both CM-7000 and DTT901 ?

I do not own a DTT901, so can not speak for it. But remember that with the RF connection there is an extra modulation and demodulation step in the chain. This can not help but add noise and other artifacts compared to a direct connection using the A/V cables. Especially since we are talking about a $50 product...

One other consideration is the audio. It has been reported that the audio sent by the DTT901s RF output is mono. So if you want stereo, then the A/V route is the way to go. (I am not sure about the CM7000. Need to test it.)

Speaking of the audio, the background noise level is a bit higher with the RF connection than the A/V connection too.
post #994 of 1483 Old 12-25-2008, 11:10 PM

I often don't read user manual; incidentally I come across the system specifications provided in the CM-7000 user manual. Among the useful ones is the input dynamic range of -83 dBm to -5 dBm. I don't recall any other CECB providing this spec; I even emailed Zenith asking for this info for the DTT901 and the reply was that they don't have any sensitivity test data.

Anyhow, for my case, most DTV signals come in between -90 dbm to -110 dBm (I live ~90 miles away from major stations). With an antenna gain of 12 dB, pre-amp gain of 25 dB, cable loss of 2 dB, the weak signals go into the box at about -75 dBm, which are OK most of the time except for severe fading periods (due to multipath, cloud/air attenuation/reflection) where signal strength varies more than 10 dB in miliseconds.

Note that tvfool.com can be used for a rough estimate of the received signal strength but it is not that accurate. I don't think it accounts for the elevation of one's house. As an example, my friend's house is only a few blocks away but it is at the bottom of the valley while mine is on the hill side; when we entered the two addresses, we came up with the same data.

For people who live close to broadcast stations, they must be careful not to overload the box. For example, if the expected received signal is at -20 dBm, using the same antenna/pre-amp will result in +15 dBm coming into the box causing overload (i.e. -5 dBm max for no signal distortion). For this case, a common rabbit ear antenna (UHF loop gain of < -1 dB) with no amplifier would be sufficient.
post #995 of 1483 Old 12-30-2008, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Interesting post qvo1999! I was curious about potential overload with the CM7000. In my case, the two highest power stations average -35dbm. If I add in the pre-amp and antenna gain (12 db + 12 db) and then subtract roof loss with attic install (-13 db), my input power is -22 dbm. I should be good to go! Thanks!
post #996 of 1483 Old 01-02-2009, 01:24 PM

is anyone able to get replaytv 5040 to turn on channelmaster cm-7000 automatically (instead of having to have the cm7000 turned on all the time)? thanks
post #997 of 1483 Old 01-02-2009, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.chen1 View Post

is anyone able to get replaytv 5040 to turn on channelmaster cm-7000 automatically (instead of having to have the cm7000 turned on all the time)? thanks

You can probably get a better answer over at the RePlayTV forum here at AVS. However, I am pretty sure the answer is no - I think the RePlay relies on the converter box, cable box, satellite box, etc being left on all the time.
post #998 of 1483 Old 01-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDB View Post

You can probably get a better answer over at the RePlayTV forum here at AVS. However, I am pretty sure the answer is no - I think the RePlay relies on the converter box, cable box, satellite box, etc being left on all the time.

Sounds right to me....No way for the Replay to know if the box is already on, or for that mater, to even send an IR ON/OFF toggle.

Chris C
post #999 of 1483 Old 01-08-2009, 09:05 AM

Incidentally, when going ot TVfool... you need to enter exact coordinates to get real accuracy, the address function is not too accurate, I know Google maps shows my house as being at the bottom of a 50 foot ravine 200 feet from where it actually is. But anyway... I'm troubled about this adding channels function. I'm assuming that once youv'e locked onto a station once, then it's stored, and you don't have to scan for it again? I'm just wondering what the proecdure is for storing all your available channels when your stations aqe in more than one direction.
post #1000 of 1483 Old 01-08-2009, 09:19 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphanguy View Post

But anyway... I'm troubled about this adding channels function. I'm assuming that once youv'e locked onto a station once, then it's stored, and you don't have to scan for it again?

Exactly. When you can for stations, you can either replace the ones previously found, or add to them. So if you have stations abc to the west, and stations def to the north, you could point the antenna west, scan, point the antenna north, scan again, and you would have stations abcdef in memory.

As far as I know, you can not enter a station's frequency directly in any way.
post #1001 of 1483 Old 01-09-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDB View Post

As far as I know, you can not enter a station's frequency directly in any way.

This is one minor disadvantage of the CM-7000. If I recall correctly, both DTVPal and DTT901 let us scan one specific channel. Note that stations from 2 directions use the same physical channel (co-channel interference), then the old one will be replaced. Also, the CM-7000 stores duplicate list of both virtual and physical channels.
post #1002 of 1483 Old 01-10-2009, 07:59 PM

Bought my first thru solidsignal, just picked up another for 9.99 (after coupon) at Frys (Wilsonville, OR). Price is good through tuesday.
post #1003 of 1483 Old 01-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
anyone know of a brick and mortar store here in NYC that sells this box?
post #1004 of 1483 Old 01-12-2009, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post

anyone know of a brick and mortar store here in NYC that sells this box?

Unfortunately, they don't exist (only option is mail order).
post #1005 of 1483 Old 01-12-2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:

The 'repeating vertical bars' are easy to see with the diagnostic. Depending on how critically you watch a real program you may not notice it, due to all the motion that is going on.

Colors are a bit better with composite too.

I do not own a DTT901, so can not speak for it. But remember that with the RF connection there is an extra modulation and demodulation step in the chain. This can not help but add noise and other artifacts compared to a direct connection using the A/V cables. Especially since we are talking about a $50 product...

One other consideration is the audio. It has been reported that the audio sent by the DTT901s RF output is mono. So if you want stereo, then the A/V route is the way to go. (I am not sure about the CM7000. Need to test it.)

Speaking of the audio, the background noise level is a bit higher with the RF connection than the A/V connection too.

RF outputs are always mono (on every box).
post #1006 of 1483 Old 01-12-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.chen1 View Post

Replaytv units are designed to only change channels via the IR blaster
......no on/off.
post #1007 of 1483 Old 01-12-2009, 10:01 PM
wws

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

RF outputs are always mono (on every box).

Is mono audio one of the requirements for coupon eligibility? This CM-7000 is the first piece of A/V gear that I have bought in years that has a modulated RF output.
post #1008 of 1483 Old 01-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is mono audio one of the requirements for coupon eligibility?

No, it just isn't cost-effective to modulate to stereo because the BTSC patent holders charge an arm and a leg for licensing. Or so I've heard.
post #1009 of 1483 Old 01-13-2009, 11:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthal View Post

Bought my first thru solidsignal, just picked up another for 9.99 (after coupon) at Frys (Wilsonville, OR). Price is good through tuesday.

Dang it ... . I just ordered one from SS today and that is my local Fry's (no sales tax) . Last time I was in there they did not have any more CM7000's and did not know if/when they would see any more ( not even a tag for it on the shelf any longer so I figured they were not going to carry it any longer , guess I was wrong ) . Ah well I guess the price difference after gas (about 70 miles round trip) is not a big deal but it would have been nice to have it sooner .

Anyway I have not read through the entire thread but I gather this is considered to be the best box on the market regarding PQ (will be using S-Video to AVR then HDMI out) ?
I am going to be using this with a projection system at about 120" , anybody else using these with front projectors ?
If so what do you think ?

Thank You ,
- Jason
post #1010 of 1483 Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, it has the best PQ of any CECB through s-video. But seriously, on a 120" screen you really should be using an HD tuner.

There is a list of them in the HDTV Hardware STB sticky thread. A lot of people are buying the Centronics, which I guess is pretty inexpensive. There's a dedicated thread for that model over there, too. Being a cheap box, I don't know how good the PQ is compared to other HD tuners, but for sure the Samsung DTB-H260F should at least look very good on your setup. You'll be getting what you pay for.
post #1011 of 1483 Old 01-14-2009, 02:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh I am not expecting miracles , just a reasonable image for local OTA channels .

- Jason
post #1012 of 1483 Old 01-14-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Oh I am not expecting miracles , just a reasonable image for local OTA channels .

- Jason

With these CECBs, I've found that the source programming makes a big difference. You might be fine where the OTA programming is HD from the camera on through, but older SD programming might look pretty darn soft at 120".
post #1013 of 1483 Old 01-14-2009, 10:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Will only be used for HD OTA broadcasts , will not even bother powering up the projector if the incoming signal is garbage . We hardly watch any regular tv but I figured for less than $20 it makes sense to have it for occasional viewing .

Thanks for the honest feedback .

- Jason
post #1014 of 1483 Old 01-17-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogE View Post

I got to watch Ch13 for a while around 9pm on Friday. The sound hiccuped a couple of time and blanked once or twice, but only for less than a second. Still this is tons better than the completely broken up picture the Magnavox gave me.

Bit of an update on this. Ch13 still gives me problems. I must have had a good night that time. A lot of it has to do with the signal strength, which avgs around 40 but can drop around 30. It seems the signal gets worse at night. There were times the signal was unwatchable.

For reference, I live about 45-57 mi from the Pittsburgh stations and 10-15 mi from the Johnstown stations. I have the cm CM-3671 14' antenna which fed a CM powered 4 way splitter some 30' away. That fed four different feeds, one of which ended up in a passive 3 way splitter. That fed the VCR, AV receiver and CM.

I moved the powered splitter into the living room. Where it was, I put a 2 way splitter so I can feed the bedroom TV. Then connected one living room feed to the other output. By boosting the signal at the final split, the CM seems to have a better picture, even at low reported signal.

By that, I mean, the meter does not seem to read higher, but the picture has less drop outs. This is especially noticed with ch13. Tho, Ch11 still has these little random hiccups in the audio. The signal is quite strong, which is interesting. That's NBC and I have a local NBC affiliate, so that's not a real problem.

Guess that's it.....cheers!
D

--
So long and thanks for all the fish
post #1015 of 1483 Old 01-17-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogE View Post

By that, I mean, the meter does not seem to read higher, but the picture has less drop outs. This is especially noticed with ch13. Tho, Ch11 still has these little random hiccups in the audio. The signal is quite strong, which is interesting. That's NBC and I have a local NBC affiliate, so that's not a real problem.

dont feel bad about the hiccup from WPXI. I live in Pittsburgh and ever since I hooked my CM-7000 my NBC/channel 11 has done the same thing. it drives me bonkers!

Fortunately I can still pick up the Johnstown NBC affiliate WJAC and (despite living in Pittsburgh) it comes in much clearer (albeit at 40% average signal).

I'd take a little snow and fuzziness over pixelation and audio hiccups/dropouts any day of the week. So glad the government knows whats best for me.
post #1016 of 1483 Old 01-20-2009, 07:24 PM
wws

I just bought a 2nd CM-7000 with my other coupon. Interestingly, in the two months between the two units, there have been some packaging changes. First is that the box no longer has the HDTV decal, but has a 'TV converter box coupon program' logo instead. The provided RF coaxial cable has changed from the white cable and knurled connectors to a generic black RG-6 cable with compression connectors. And the instruction manual has been changed around a bit. Notable is that it admits to having an S-video capability in the feature list, and also a troubleshooting section at the end.

The box itself seems unchanged. The software versions are identical. (Software build date is 2008-06-16 in both cases.)

This second unit is now sitting on top of my old Samsung SIR-T451 HDTV tuner. The CM-7000 is far more sensitive with the same antenna. But the Samsung does full HD on the channels it does get, so I guess I need an A/B switch to leave both of them hooked up...
post #1017 of 1483 Old 01-20-2009, 08:31 PM

For anyone who has the latest software build...is the VBI being cut out the only improvement from the 20080129 build? I was given two more coupons from a friend of mine and have the chance to get another CM-7000 with the newer software but I'm not sure if it's worth it to pay the $8+shipping from Solid Signal to get it.

Is there anyone who has one old and one new CM-7000 and could offer an opinon as to whether it would be worth it?

I asked Ron the CM tech support guy about getting new software installed on my current boxes to correct for the VBI data being displayed and he emailed me back saying he hadnt heard of the issue (someone has to have though otherwise it wouldnt have been fixed in the latest release) and I would need to send them in and provide receipts of purchase.

I guess he was thinking that I just bought these CM-7000's and could do a warranty exchange or something. My boxes are over 6 months old anyway, so they wouldnt be covered under the warranty, and it would probably cost me more to mail them in to him than it would to just by new ones...especially considering I already mailed one in that was defective (electronic arc-ing/popping noise when you turn it on).
post #1018 of 1483 Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 AM
wws

In message #1016 the TV is a Philips 30pw850h37a (16:9 HD-ready CRT). I initially hooked the CM-7000 through the s-video connections on my Sony RDR-VX500 DVD recorder. From there, the Sony is connected to the Philips through component video cables at 480p. Bringing up the CM-7000 diagnostic menu video test (down/down/info), there was almost no sign of the vertical 'ghost' lines that I saw with the Panasonic setup described in message #991. Looks good!

However this morning, I connected the s-video from the CM-7000 directly to the Philips TV - bypassing the Sony deck. Now I see vertical ghost lines on *both* sides of the vertical bars! The interesting thing is that I don't see this at all with the composite input - just the s-video. Composite looks perfect. No ghost lines at all.

It is weird that on one setup I get the ghost bars on composite (and RF), and the other I get the ghost bars on s-video (have not tried RF yet.) Do others see such a difference between s-video and composite with their CM-7000s?

I wonder if there are some sort of internal level adjustments inside the CM-7000 that aren't set quite right...
post #1019 of 1483 Old 01-21-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Try turning down the sharpness when connecting the box directly to the TV. That can often causes ghosting, or at least enhance it.

Some DVD recorders can also "clean up" the signal some when running a source through them. My DTVPal with it's normally cruddy PQ doesn't look that bad at all when running through my Panny E85H, into it through composite and out to my analog 32" CRT through component.
post #1020 of 1483 Old 01-22-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Has anybody done any research or attempted to mod the CM7000 to allow 5.1 digital audio out ( are the internals capable ) ? I am a very experienced solderer but do not know much about OTA tuners ( anybody want to help out and see if we can figure this out , if possible ) ?

- Jason
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page