Channel Master CM-7000 Digital to Analog Converter - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1483 Old 03-31-2008, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do you enter the coupon number at SolidSignal?

For digital audio the resistors are RD61 360 ohm (in-line resistor), RD62 91 ohm (resistor to ground). The in-line cap should be 150nF, I think that's CD29 but it's hard to tell without actually having the board. The other cap (CD30) looks like it goes from output to ground and so should be small, < 1nF; it could probably be left out entirely. The two transistors probably aren't all that critical, provided they can run at 6Mhz and the polarity is right. I don't know about RD60 (depends on the transistor selected), RA7, or CD28. That's enough impersonating an EE from this software guy for today :-). Caveat Lector (which means I will not take responsibility if you break anything).

And rrrrrrroger, I have no idea of the sensitivity of this box compared to the Zenith. The Zenith doesn't have s-video so it's out of contention for one of my TVs; I have that input and dang it, I want to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1483 Old 03-31-2008, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Are you sure of that model? ..
No QAM, and No digital output on the RJTech I have.
Newegg no longer has them.

There were two different RJTech boxes on www.newegg.com
(Not easy to find: "deactivated item", see below.)

RJ900ATSC is low-rez SD-STB people have used with a Smart Antenna.
They found out the QAM and Coax Digital Audio claims were incorrect.
[So it might even be CECB Coupon Eligibile.....if RjTech bothers to submit it???]
[Or maybe it's using older Zoran chips (see below) and couldn't meet CECB specs]:
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...AFC-C8Junction
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...0108_436053-20
http://www.dtskaraoke.com/rj900atsc.html
http://www.google.com/products?q=rj900ATSC

RJ1000ATSC is a similar low-rez SD-STB (using older Zoran chips),
advertised to support QAM, S-Video, Coax (SPDIF) Digital Audio
and RGB Component Video I/F....but NO Smart Antenna I/F.
[And maybe it has Analog NTSC.....or NOT???]:
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...AFC-C8Junction
http://blujay.com/item/RJ-1000ATSC-T...090700-1637890
http://www.yesbuy.net/rj-tech-dvd-dv...j1000atsc.html

Given what has transpired, buyer beware....

And for a few more bucks, you can buy a hi-rez HD-STB....
post #93 of 1483 Old 04-01-2008, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

[/quote]And rrrrrrroger, I have no idea of the sensitivity of this box compared to the Zenith. The Zenith doesn't have s-video so it's out of contention for one of my TVs; I have that input and dang it, I want to use it.[/quote]

+1......for the extra money I'd rather get the ability and capability of having s-video.....I know at least one of the TV's I will be hooking up has s-video...not sure on the second....but for $20 more ($10 each) compared to the Zenith.....it's probably worth it to me.
post #94 of 1483 Old 04-01-2008, 06:43 AM

Having tried, head-to-head, the Zenith DTT-900 verses the Digital Stream DTX-9900 I found that there is no difference in the quality or sensivity of the tuners in each. Both displayed excellent video and audio output and high speed channel changing. The user interfaces are nice on each, but in my opinion the Digital Stream is more feature rich (mainly the EPG which goes out many hours in advance compared to the Zenith which only goes out one program in advance) and the remote control had a better and more durable design.

It just baffles me that the Zenith is getting so much praise when it really doesn't have anything over the Digital Stream (just as an example).
post #95 of 1483 Old 04-01-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_geek_97 View Post

It just baffles me that the Zenith is getting so much praise when it really doesn't have anything over the Digital Stream (just as an example).

Well..... one reason is because the Zenith was first to market, and therefore got lots of early positives.

Second reason: It's a VERY serious flaw that the Digital Stream can not manually add channels. My initial Zenith autoscan only recovered 4 stations, but with the manual tuner and tweaking of the antenna, I was able to add several more. ----- Therefore I would not recommend the DS to a customer, unless it was shown to get 1-2 extra stations than the other boxes.

Back to CM-7000:

So if I'm understanding, this is a very sensitive receiver?
I live in a poor market with many weak signals and need the best possible box.
post #96 of 1483 Old 04-01-2008, 11:47 AM

Third reason: The Digital Stream chops scan lines off the top and more off the bottom of the picture before resizing it.

I'd rather deal with sound issues and not having a richer EPG than for my tuner cropping off and stretching the image incorrectly.
post #97 of 1483 Old 04-01-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replay3030Owner View Post

Third reason: The Digital Stream chops scan lines off the top and more off the bottom of the picture before resizing it.

I'd rather deal with sound issues and not having a richer EPG than for my tuner cropping off and stretching the image incorrectly.

FYI, there's a separate thread about that DigitalStream CECB, and there's a posting there that says the cropping is noted only on some channels:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post13517314

I'd agree I'd rather not have any cropping at all, though!

Dana
post #98 of 1483 Old 04-01-2008, 07:13 PM

First, as I have mentioned multiple times (whether you are concerned or not) I have compared these units on the same evening using the exact same TV, antenna and cables and was NOT able to see any difference concerning missing or "cropped" scan lines on the DS. I'm not sure how many of the rest of you can say you've done that, but it's one thing to read what other people have read about what other people have read about certain models and actually testing them for yourself with your own two eyes and ears. (BTW, the aspect ratio is only distorted in the "14:9" video mode, which you never HAVE to use.)

Second, does it really matter if a certain unit came out before a different unit with respect to which one is better (or better rated anyway)? If anything the latter unit stands a better chance of having overcome the faults/shortcomings of the first-to-be-released unit.

Third, you CAN manually enter channels into the Digital Stream DTX-9900.

Fourth, all that these boxes are doing is lengthing the useful life of analog TVs and analog VCRs/DVD-Rs, etc. If reducing the number of "cropped scan lines" is so important then perhaps buying a true HDTV would be a more appropriate course of action.
post #99 of 1483 Old 04-02-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_geek_97 View Post

Second, does it really matter if a certain unit came out before a different unit with respect to which one is better (or better rated anyway)?

Strawman argument!. I never said that. Here is what I said (read carefully): "Well..... one reason is because the Zenith was first to market, and therefore got lots of early positives."

It got lots of early praise.
That does not mean it's a better box.
It only means it got lots of early + recommendations.
Quote:

Third, you CAN manually enter channels into the Digital Stream DTX-9900.

Well then it might be worth trying out.

In your testing, how many channels does the DTX-9900 get versus the Zenith box?
Quote:

If reducing the number of "cropped scan lines" is so important then perhaps buying a true HDTV would be a more appropriate course of action.

Yes, I thought about that, but I don't know what kind of tuner is inside the DTV. It could be a piece of junk that gets half as many channels as my Zenith unit.
post #100 of 1483 Old 04-02-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Solidsignal just received a shipment of CM-7000s and they have raised the price to $79.99 per box.....reason being, demand.

I just ordered two this morning and mandaged to get the $68.99 price right before they raised it.
post #101 of 1483 Old 04-02-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4yqt View Post

Solid Signal's site: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=CM-7000
WOW! Boy did their price just go up! OUCH!

Yeah what's up with that? The MSRP went from $79 to $85 in just one day??? Why? The MSRP should not change unless Solid Signal is lying to us.

(later)

I have the CM box in my shopping cart. But I'm hesitating to click "buy". I don't want to spend $50 just to find out this CM box gets fewer channels than the Zenith and that I wasted my cash. Decisions, decisions.

Also, what I really want is S-video AND an automatic channel tuner.
One w/o the other doesn't help keep the Super VHS machine running
post #102 of 1483 Old 04-02-2008, 11:52 AM

Thanks to dingo99, there's an evaluation of the ChannelMaster CM-7000's digital closed captioning at the thread on evaluating converter boxes for users of captioning:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post13506638

He's provided a picture there of the digital captioning which is still much smaller than the analog captioning provided by his TV. (Other CECBs like the Insignia/Zenith can provide much larger captions.) The digital captioning is also ending up higher on the screen.

It's unfortunate the CM-7000's digital closed captioning wasn't better designed, especially since it had S-video. So if any of you were wanting to capitalize on the digital closed captioning from this CECB because of its S-video output, you may want to look at that posting carefully.

(Evaluations of the digital captioning from other CECBs would be very much appreciated at that thread.)

Dana
post #103 of 1483 Old 04-02-2008, 01:44 PM

It's unfortunate the CM-7000's digital closed captioning wasn't better designed, especially since it had S-video. So if any of you were wanting to capitalize on the digital closed captioning from this CECB because of its S-video output, you may want to look at that posting carefully.

(Evaluations of the digital captioning from other CECBs would be very much appreciated at that thread.)

Dana[/quote]

Dana have you checked out the Microprose MPI-500 with a CC button?

http://www.prlog.org/10054514-microp...ification.html

http://www.prlog.org/10054514-microp...tification.pdf
post #104 of 1483 Old 04-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITTOTEX View Post

Dana have you checked out the Microprose MPI-500 with a CC button?

There are many CECBs (22 and counting) that do have the ability to decode closed captions (and which have a CC button), and the Microprose is one that has been listed on the first posting of the thread on evaluating CECBs for caption users for quite a while.

Since this is a thread about the Channel Master CM-7000, let's not go off-topic by talking about other CECBs here. There's a general one about all CECBs at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=980052

or people interested in captioning issues can go to the thread on "Evaluating Digital to Analog Converter Boxes for Users of Captioning."
post #105 of 1483 Old 04-02-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi there

Fry's/Outpost.com has it online for $60
But no obvious way to submit a coupon.

Regards

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/5488779
post #106 of 1483 Old 04-02-2008, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z View Post

Hi there

Fry's/Outpost.com has it online for $60
But no obvious way to submit a coupon.

Regards

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/5488779

The call went like this:

Me: Hi, I saw the Cm-7000 converter box for sale on your store, and wondered if you accept the govt. coupons toward the purchase price?

She: No, we do not accept those coupons.

Me: Have you heard of the coupons?

She: No, I've never heard of the coupons.

Me: I't s a program.. etc etc. analog switchover... etc etc and everyone selling these boxes will be able to accept... etc So will you tell your manager that customers are interested in your ability to accept these coupons?

silence.... (possibly the sound of ideas flying overhead)

She: yeah, right. bye.

*click*

If we get enough callers maybe they will eventually look into it?
Next..
post #107 of 1483 Old 04-02-2008, 10:10 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlava View Post

If we get enough callers maybe they will eventually look into it?

Sorry, but don't count on it. Unless they've already started the application process, they won't be able to get into the action now. Retailers had to apply by March 31, 2008 to participate in the coupon program.
post #108 of 1483 Old 04-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ99 View Post

Sorry, the first batch of pictures didn't turn out.
Will try again.

I did get to see better menu screenshots thanks to FreeDTVShop for posting the Manual http://www.freedtvshop.com/fdtv/converters/cm7000UM.pdf

However, they did not show the EPG.
You did but they were really small will you try these again?

By the way the only other EPG that I know of that is not a Now/Next
is the Digital Stream DTX-9900
You can see a video of it thanks to DrBri99
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc3RRT7a-_I
post #109 of 1483 Old 04-03-2008, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dingo99,

How about an evaluation of the CM 7000 reception abilities versus the Zenith DTT 900?
post #110 of 1483 Old 04-03-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onslowtn View Post

Dingo99, How about an evaluation of the CM 7000 reception abilities versus the Zenith DTT 900?

I don't have a DTT900 to make the comparison, and for me the Zenith's left-channel audio problem is a deal-breaker, so I have no plans to buy it.
post #111 of 1483 Old 04-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've noticed a low buzz which is a little annoying. I've hooked it up through a Philips automatic switch, which may be a contributing factor. So far, so good.

Is this low buzz in the Audio?
Is this like the Zenith Audio problem in the left channel?
post #112 of 1483 Old 04-03-2008, 03:38 PM

Just tried to pick up a CM-7000 at Frys where they are having a one day sale at $59.99. The checkout gal tried to run the coupon and then said it wasnt a MC or Visa. Her supervisor didn't know about the cards either. I asked for the manager who was clued in. He said, "Fry's is not set up to take the coupons yet but they may be in the future. They are working on it. Sorry"

They carry both Insignia boxes and Channel Masters.
post #113 of 1483 Old 04-03-2008, 04:44 PM

Full-screen shot of the CM's EPG attached, so you can see its size. Up/down arrows scroll up to 12 hours of data, left/right changes the channel. Info panel on the right updates as you scroll.

Also, my experience has been different from DJ99's - I have not heard any buzzing or other audible problems from my CM.
LL
post #114 of 1483 Old 04-04-2008, 02:26 AM

Electronic Guides are nice, but I've always prefered zap2it.com or tvguide.com. Quick to browse and much easier to use (you can view an entire day at once).
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlava View Post

Me: I't s a program.. etc etc. analog switchover... etc etc and everyone selling these boxes will be able to accept... etc So will you tell your manager that customers are interested in your ability to accept these coupons?

She: yeah, right. bye.

Your mistake was talking to the $6 an hour minimum wage employee. You should have immediately talked to the manager yourself, and explained to him about the program. Odds are good he already knows about it (being a ~$20 an hour employee with more intelligence & knowledge).
post #115 of 1483 Old 04-04-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otanut View Post

Just tried to pick up a CM-7000 at Frys where they are having a one day sale at $59.99. .... I asked for the manager who was clued in. He said, "Fry's is not set up to take the coupons yet but they may be in the future. They are working on it. Sorry"

Here's what I would have said: "Frye's is listed on the government website. Therefore you are obligated BY LAW to take the coupon, as a government-certified retailer. No exceptions." I then would have laid down the $40 Coupon + $25 cash and explained: "There's your payment. I don't care what paperwork you need to do, I only care that I have paid you with legal U.S. tender." And walked out the door with my box.

I will Not be mistreated by a store (especially after I wasted $5 in gasoline driving there!).
post #116 of 1483 Old 04-04-2008, 11:39 AM

Hi Everyone -- Our date slipped to 4/7. We were just notified of this today (the day we were supposed to have stock). Sorry for the delay to those that have ordered, but we're doing our best to be forthright about the dates.
post #117 of 1483 Old 04-04-2008, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrrroger View Post

I will Not be mistreated by a store (especially after I wasted $5 in gasoline driving there!).

Then I guess it pays to call ahead of time.
post #118 of 1483 Old 04-04-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

Is this low buzz in the Audio?
Is this like the Zenith Audio problem in the left channel?

No, it sounds like low-level 60 cycle hum. I don't believe its isolated to a single channel.
I have the box jammed onto a single shelf in my bedroom TV stand underneath the TV surrounded by a Philips video switch, an old RCA vcr and a DVD player.
Under the circumstances, I'd be surprised if it didn't hum.

I know it's coming from the box, because the TV sound only hums once the box is turned on. Since it's a tight fit, I haven't had the time to rip things apart to isolate the box and see if the hum goes away. Will try to find time to experiment this weekend.

I only use that TV to watch the news, so it's not a big deal to me.
post #119 of 1483 Old 04-04-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thank you, dingo, for that screenshot of the guide. It looks readable and not too complex. The online manual didn't show this, it's a selling point to have more than now/next! All the tvs I am outfitting have S-Video, so that's another plus.

Locally, I don't think any CECB retailers have the CM-7000. Frys does, but they are not on the NTIA retailer list. They've been on sale 3 times already, under $60.
post #120 of 1483 Old 04-04-2008, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

No, it sounds like low-level 60 cycle hum. I don't believe its isolated to a single channel.
I have the box jammed onto a single shelf in my bedroom TV stand underneath the TV surrounded by a Philips video switch, an old RCA vcr and a DVD player.
Under the circumstances, I'd be surprised if it didn't hum.

I know it's coming from the box, because the TV sound only hums once the box is turned on. Since it's a tight fit, I haven't had the time to rip things apart to isolate the box and see if the hum goes away. Will try to find time to experiment this weekend.

I only use that TV to watch the news, so it's not a big deal to me.

Sounds like a ground loop in the power connections.....
or a loose audio I/F connector....wiggle & reseat all L/R plugs....

If you have any two-prong power plugs, try reversing the connection
(but don't violate plug polarity reversal protection devices, if any are found.)

With the CM-7000 turned on and buzzing, disconnect antenna lead and
see if it goes away. If so, a coaxial isolator should fix the problem.
I discussed ground-loop investigations/solutions in Zenith thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post13498907
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page