Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1483 Old 05-24-2009, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Problems with CM-7000:

Now that I've had my CM-7000 for over 6 months I really like it. Excellent picture and just easy to use. I also have a HDTV tuner Samsung HDTB-260F which has a better picture, but has inferior reception and slower everything. My family is consistently using the CM-7000 for OTA watching and say they really can't see much of a difference as compared to HD picture quality.

This is where the problem comes in. Since we use the CM-7000 frequently it is getting left on almost all the time (24hrs./7 days a week). Today the picture was coming in black and white only. After scanning this thread I noticed someone saying to unplug it for 10 sec. to reset and it worked. Now I'm wondering about the durability of this DTB. Has anyone had similar problems. Should I invest in a second box? I still have one coupon to reapply for because it expired without use.
post #1173 of 1483 Old 05-24-2009, 06:02 AM

DVRs, converter boxes and cable boxes are almost like mini PCs and as such, they need reboots. i dont think you need to worry about the device's durability. however, i've heard that they can get hot sometimes so you should put it on stand-by when you're not using. i have setup mine for automatic stand-by every 2hrs.
post #1174 of 1483 Old 05-24-2009, 06:03 AM

Liked: 11
My own opinion is that none of these boxes was designed for long term (years) use. I believe they were designed on-the-cheap to be a stopgap measure until people needed to buy new TVs.

Yes, I would have a second box on hand. Or possibly consider another device such as a DVD player with a digital tuner built in. TVs with digital tuners are now much more affordable than they were a year ago, so if you watch the sales and rebates you might find a good opportunity there.

One question I haven't been able to answer for myself is how good the tuners are in new TVs, DVD players or other units. My RCA box seems to pull the signals in better than the CM7000, so I'd hate to buy a new TV and get a weak tuner.
post #1175 of 1483 Old 05-24-2009, 07:43 AM

I agree these CECB seem to be disposable commodities. Having a backup unit or two seems very prudent. I keep mine (a Zenith) turned off when not in use.

I also agree with armand1's comments on the Samsung STB. It's a great unit in many ways but it seems lethargic. But compared to my Zenith CECB it's reception is only slightly worse, certainly nothing to complain about. If you want a true HD tuner I think you can do a lot worse than buying the Samsung (you can find them on eBay).

_Lazza
post #1176 of 1483 Old 05-26-2009, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi there

> My own opinion is that none of these boxes was designed for long term (years) use.

> I agree these CECB seem to be disposable commodities.

You guys are certainly entitled to your opinions, but from my perspective as an engineer w/several EE degrees and working with several industrial electronic firms, a lot of consumer electronics is cheaply made. But the use of high-density computer parts like the SoCs used in these CECBs force the manufacturers to use better computer-grade boards and parts instead of the cheapest consumer electronic components.

If you're passing judgment on quality solely based on price, then you're mistaken. Can you name any other electronics product where each manufacturer could sell perhaps several 100-thousand units, which might be 90% of their production run, in less than a year? Do you realize what kind of economy-of-scale can be achieved with such a huge production run in such a short time frame? And then they don't even have to spend a dime on marketing!!! The government is doing all the advertising for them! All of these savings have been passed on to the CECB consumer, and is a big reason (along with competition) why these units are inexpensive. (Since the feature set is restricted, there's poor brand awareness, and because the consumer feels forced to purchase a unit, the brands have to compete primarily on price.)

It's a waste of time to make a blanket generalization on the quality of all CECB brands. But I consider the CM-7000 to be of decent quality. Its weakest components are the switches (front panel and remote control), and since they're electro-mechanical components rather than electronic, this cost-cutting is more obvious. But with proper care (e.g. surge protection, proper ventilation) there's no reason it can't last at least 5 years of use.

Regards
post #1177 of 1483 Old 05-26-2009, 02:38 AM

Liked: 11
Did anybody ever figure out of there are codes for this that will work for universal remotes?
post #1178 of 1483 Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confuzzled View Post

Did anybody ever figure out of there are codes for this that will work for universal remotes?

my 37" Olevia LCD came with a programmable universal remote. last night i tried to configure it so that i could control the CM-7000. according to the converter's manual, we should use a code for Pioneer cable boxes. Olevia's manual listed 3 of such codes. the one that kinda worked for the CM-7000 was "4022" (if my memory serves me well). however, with this code on this Olevia remote, i can only do 2 things:

1) switch channels.
2) turn the converter ON/OFF.

has anyone been successful with other remotes or codes?
post #1179 of 1483 Old 05-26-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
In the last few weeks, my CM has shut itself off 4 times. A couple times I was watching on the Zat and switched back to the CM, only to find it had turned itself off, so I had no idea what caused it. I'd been using it a few minutes earlier, so it is not the inactivity timer. Most recently, I was changing the volume on the CM when it shut down.

Recently I have used the buttons on the box a few times to power on/off. So I'm thinking maybe after a long time sitting the button unstuck itself and powered off. I'm going to stop using the buttons, to see if my problem goes away.
post #1180 of 1483 Old 05-26-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordloewelabs View Post

has anyone been successful with other remotes or codes?

I have a Philips SRU6061 universal remote.

Using code 0449 (the first of the 4 Pioneer cable box codes listed in manual) it can:
Power on/off
Mute
Channel up/down
Volume up/down
Numeric keys (press 052 to access channel 05-2)

The buttons listed below do not work; has no effect when pressed:
menu
guide
info
last (previous channel)
CC (closed caption)

I have a small collection of cheap universal remotes of various brands, accumulated over the years; I'll go through them and see what happens.
post #1181 of 1483 Old 05-26-2009, 02:24 PM

I purchased a Phillips SRU6061 at Target for $5 on a clearance sale. This is a "learning" remote.I was able to program it in the "learning" mode to control my Channel Master,Zinwell,and all my other components.
post #1182 of 1483 Old 05-26-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by confuzzled View Post

Check in the Remote Control Forum. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Worse case, you could get a OneForAll 10820 w/learning, less than $20, and simply teach the commands into the new one, and control 9 other devices. http://www.amazon.com/One-All-Learni.../dp/B00083ET5G

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1183 of 1483 Old 05-27-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finlay648 View Post

I have a local station that has a weak signal. My CM-7000 does a great job of producing a picture from the weak signal but often will report "scrambled program". When it gets in this state it does not recover automatically which is annoying since I have to change channels to get it to recover. Even if the signal strength gets to 100% it still locks out the display and reports "scrambled program". Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Any way to make it automatically recover?

I have the same "Scrambled Signal" on the local PBS station off air. It goes away when they switch off of HD to SD but then comes back when they go back to HD. Going channel up or down and then back brings the channel back with a perfect picture and sound but if they switch to SD and then back, "Scrambled Signal" comes back. I have a very strong signal. The other sub-channels from that station never have a problem.

Has anyone found a solution for this problem?
post #1184 of 1483 Old 05-27-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford1953jimav View Post

I purchased a Phillips SRU6061 at Target for $5 on a clearance sale. This is a "learning" remote.I was able to program it in the "learning" mode to control my Channel Master,Zinwell,and all my other components.

Do you mean "learning" in the sense of the remote being able to actually recieve and memorize IR signals from another remote head-to-head, or "learning" in the sense of just poking in some kind of number code (or perhaps going though a "punch the power key till your device shuts off" test sequence to find the device's preset code without having to enter the number).

I ask because ninja1 also reports having a SRU6061, so if you were able to really teach the missing IR codes to the 6061 in IR learning mode then that should be made clear.

If you are just talking about using preset codes, I suspect that you are missing the same control keys as ninja1 (these keys did not work on my universal remote either, until I taught them using the head-to-head IR method from the original CM7000 remote)

A little more info would be nice

- Delphin
post #1185 of 1483 Old 05-27-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphin View Post

I ask because ninja1 also reports having a SRU6061, so if you were able to really teach the missing IR codes to the 6061 in IR learning mode then that should be made clear.

The Philips SRU6061 does indeed have the head-to-head learn capability, and that is what people usually mean when they say "learning remote". The process of repetitively going thru some specificed button-pushing algorithm until your device responds to the remote is called "code search" or "brand search". I didn't go through the process of teaching my 6061; I thought you were interested in out-of-the-box capability, without teaching. If you have a learning remote, the whole issue of finding and trying out various Pioneer cable box device codes is moot. I'd still like to find a simpler 2-device or 3-device universal remote which can adequately control the CM-7000.
post #1186 of 1483 Old 05-27-2009, 09:32 PM

I don't have a CECB that does not have an APT and I see that the CM is such a creature. Does the lack of an APT affect the ability to watch a video tape while connected to the box? Does the box have to be off in order to watch a video tape?

I am leaning towards getting the CM as my last (for the time being) CECB, as my strongest receiver is an Insignia, and I really should get at least one CECB that is recognized as having one of the strongest tuners (for weaker signals) on the market.

If you read enough posts on every CECB, you will eventually come across users who have had problems with each box regardless of how many other people love a box. The number of complaints suggests the presence of a potential problem at least at times. (I find that my Insignia generally behaves well but every so often, even it lists stations that don't exist after I have done some surfing for a station that comes in very weakly. It restores the correct number, but this example just illustrates that even one of the better boxes can do something funky.

Even with the problems with the CM, its strong(er) tuner will hopefully help with the reception on the weaker stations in my area, even with my average antennas in use.
post #1187 of 1483 Old 05-27-2009, 10:26 PM
wws

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr100watt View Post

I don't have a CECB that does not have an APT and I see that the CM is such a creature. Does the lack of an APT affect the ability to watch a video tape while connected to the box? Does the box have to be off in order to watch a video tape?

My TV sets support multiple A/V inputs, so the CMs each have their own dedicated inputs.

Are you limited to just the RF connection? If so, you could buy a cheap "channel 3 signal combiner" and simply run the CM on channel 3 and the VHS deck on channel 4.

If you only have a single aux baseband A/V input plus the RF connection, you could run the CM on the aux input and the VHS deck on the RF connection.

Or you could run the CM into the VHS deck, then run the VHS deck to the TV. This would allow recording from the CM. Use the baseband A/V connections where possible. If you have to run RF on both links, use channel 3 for one and channel 4 for the other.
post #1188 of 1483 Old 05-27-2009, 10:41 PM

Thanks for the detailed hookup. I'll need to reread your explanation to follow all you said.

With my current hookup (using both RF and RCA connections), I can have my Insignia or PP turned on, turn on my vcr, and watch playback - or with the box off, obviously, too. I have the boxes hooked into my vcr players, and one vcr player audio and video outs connected into my tv.

I didn't know whether the absence of an APT would affect such a connection. Perhaps the APT is just for the stations and has nothing to do with playback of a video tape.

Since no one to my recollection had mentioned this when the boxes first came out without an APT, that there should be no problem with such a hookup.
post #1189 of 1483 Old 05-28-2009, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

if the CECB is before the VCR then you can watch or tape DTV because the VCR will pass through the DTV even when off. you can then also watch the VCR even if the CECB does pass through signals.
post #1190 of 1483 Old 05-28-2009, 08:31 AM
wws

Quote:

With my current hookup (using both RF and RCA connections), I can have my Insignia or PP turned on, turn on my vcr, and watch playback - or with the box off, obviously, too. I have the boxes hooked into my vcr players, and one vcr player audio and video outs connected into my tv.

You should be able to hook up the CM in the exact same way.

Quote:

I didn't know whether the absence of an APT would affect such a connection. Perhaps the APT is just for the stations and has nothing to do with playback of a video tape.

Yes, while APT may have been important during the transition over the past couple of years, when there were both analog and digital signals on the air, relatively few will need this after june 12th.
post #1191 of 1483 Old 06-03-2009, 11:09 PM

One more person's view of the CM 7000 -

the pros -

1. Very sturdy and feels well made, much heavier than the other boxes. Feels like it will last.

2. The buttons on the front panel of the box (unlike what some other posters have commented on) feel sturdy and give resistance to the touch, feel locked in place.

3. The buttons on the remote feel sturdy and offer more resistance than I'd like (perhaps a good thing), again feeling well constructed.

4. Contents inside the box were mildly well padded to withstand mild shock. The box itself had a plastic protective cover over its panel to protect sensitive areas (control buttons, remote sensor). If you think the box during shipping is going to be banged and dropped, get added protection - the padding in the box leaves the contents susceptible to potential damage.

5. Noted stronger ability to hold reception on strong stations without breaking up as often as my other boxes. Ability to pick up two weaker stations to the point of holding them longer before breaking up. (I had hoped for much better reception on the weaker stations than I got, but it seems like with the right antenna, I will experience less breaking up. I was hoping for miraculous reception of these stations and the reception fell far short of that hope for those weaker stations.)

Many times I noticed the signal meter down in the 10 to 30%range for some weaker stations (at the strongest signal for these weak stations), and there was momentary break up of the signal. I have tuned to stations where the signal meter reading is between 90 and 100% and sometimes much lower while the picture is held most of the time. PP loses the picture in the low 60% range, as does the Zinwell when the signal reading goes too "low." With the CM, the signal reading seems as though it has to almost be below 15% or lower for it to drop the picture.

6. Many options for customizing closed caption appearance, the best feature being that as a preference is modified, the appearance/display of that choice appears on the same page as the menu options, allowing the user to experiment and see how modifications will appear before exiting out of that menu. Insignia, PP, and Zinwell don't do this - you make the changes, go to your station, wait for the cc to appear and then see the results of your modifications.

7. Fast initial scanning of stations. Helpful listing of each station as they are locked in to the memory.

8. Retention of already loaded stations during updating of potential new stations not received on the initial load. (You don't have to do a total "rescan.")

9. Excellent EPG - not a grid like Pal Plus, but a large listing of future programs per station with the ability to stay on that program listing menu without having to back out of any screen (other than having the station you were watching change to the station you want listings for. Decent length of description of each program for those that list it.

10. Ventilation holes (many) not only on the bottom, but also on the top.

11. No wall wart. Easy to plug in cord. (Decent cord length, too.)

12. Large text in the manual. (Read cons!!!)

13. While the appearance of changed stations is not as fast as that of Insignia or Pal Plus, the change is fast enough. I noticed it seems to be a half to one second slower.

14. The way in which keeping loaded stations in the memory is handled - you can "delete" a station by simply keeping it from appearing during channel selection changes, allowing you to "add" it back in without having to rescan for it. You can mark a station as a favorite and thus have a list of favorites to choose from. I didn't explore this so I don't know yet how the CM handles movement among the favorites when that button is pressed.

15. Useful remote buttons, such as "favorites, mute, back/recall, and cc." Dedicated channel rocker button. (Many times during my initial testing, I pressed the up and down arrow buttons, as I would on the PP!)

CONS

1. As warned by many posters, the OSD, especially the information banner, is ridiculously small. It is the smallest by far of any of my boxes. I thought the Pal Plus was a bit hard to read (as compared to the Zinwell or Insignia). I'm grateful the PP's text is AS LARGE as it is given the text size of the CM. I tested the CM on my small portable tv's and at first the appearance was unreadable. I mean, not hard to read, I mean unreadable. I realized I had the set connected via the RF connection. When I switched to the RCA link, the text was slightly more legible, but not by much.

I got used to barely being able to read the banner title of each station (which appears when changing stations), and knowing that the leftmost portion is cut off by the edge of the tv screen. The positive about the size is that unlike the other boxes I have, when I change a station, I have come to accept that for a few seconds, a good portion of the screen will be taken up by the banner/info display. At least with the CM, only a very small part of the screen will be taken up by this information. (this banner info goes away by itself in a short period of time).

Through experimentation, I found that as far as close captioning goes for a small portable screen, what results in the most decipherable appearance is a font size of LARGE, style of FONT 4, and BG Opacity to TRANSLUCENT. Other settings I left to the "default" setting. Because the appearance of the cc is so small and my small tv seems to blur images (even did this with my PP), I needed to have the CM separate each character from each other and any other surrounding color as much as possible to make each character stand out as much as possible. I got to the point where I could read the letters with some effort. Not good by any means, but at least barely readable - before, the appearance was unreadable.

2. The navigation path to do commands on screen is clunky. There is no "cancel" button or any way to go back to a previous step - just an "exit" button. This is noteworthy when making changes in the cc menu screen. You cannot modify preferences and also change the close captioning choice, such as going from cc1 to digital 1 - you have to exit out of the preferences, select the cc choice and then go back into preferences. (I did notice, however, that the CM seems to remember what cc preference choice was your last, so when you choose preferences and hit ok, it goes to the most recently selected preference choice.)

Unlike the Zinwell's remote capability, you have to press a button repeatedly to toggle through choices, such as through the various close caption choices, just like what you have to do with the Insignia. With the Zinwell, you hold a button down and it automatically moves you through choices - this is helpful for backing out of a menu - with the CM, you have to press, press, press the buttons. When you are moving down the future program listings for a station, rather than holding down the "down arrow" button and letting the CM automatically scroll down, you have to press, press, press, the buttons for each scroll down. VERY TEDIOUS.

3. No way to manually add a station other than rescanning through the update. There is no way to get a temporary signal read on a station not scanned into the CM. Zinwell allows you to do this, I think Insignia does, too. But the CM is powerful enough, so if you do a rescan and play around with your antenna's position during scanning, it there is any way for the box to lock in on a station, it will do it. The first time I scanned stations, it missed a few (the weak ones). Next time during the rescan, I pointed the antenna in various directions, and at the very end with a few seconds left, it locked in on the weakest station.

4. No analog pass through. Sure, after June 12, most people won't need that feature, but until then, it's nice to have it available.

5. Short RF cable (looks somwhat well made, though).

6. Large box size (not too large, but requires some room for placement).

7. Somewhat longer time to display a new station as compared with Insignia/Zinwell/Pal Plus. Still quick, but slower than these by a half to a full second.

8. Several useless buttons on the remote, already described on other posts. One button on the remote (labeled, "wide" I believe) changes the format of the displayed screen. YOU DO NOT NECESSARILY KNOW THAT THIS BUTTON PERFORMS THIS FUNCTION AFTER HAVING READ THE MANUAL AND USING THIS CECB FOR THE FIRST OR SECOND TIME!!! I thought there would be some adjustment button after pressing this button to activate the format choice. I couldn't find one, and after a tech call, was told how to do it. A needless oversight in the manual in this regard. How much editing does it take for the company to not explain, "press the WIDE button toggle through format displays?"

Each press of the button changes through a full, letter box, zoom, zoom1, zoom2, or some such description. At first I thought the screen display was mishandled by my tv. None of my other CECBs handle this formatting this way. This typified the less user friendly nature of the navigational system of this box as compared with the Insignia, Pal Plus, and Zinwell, almost all of which I could figure out quickly with barely a read through the manual. With the CM, to perform a few basic fuintions, such as changing the screen format, I was left in a daze as to what button got the screen reformatted.

(Every manual I have read has had some oversight, misspellings, etc. At first, I thought the CM had gotten it right, and that it had been edited perfectly. There are at least two (that I know of) major misspellings that almost give away that the editor or printer did not learn English as his/her first language. Any editor whose first language was English would have picked up on these two glaring misspellings and had them corrected before manual printing. Also, a non-tech editor would have read the manual to double check that it addressed almost every major basic user process. There is one page that addresses ways in which to deal with the mosdt common problems, so at least some thought was put into it. Also, credit should be given for printing the manual in large text font size.

Guess that explains most of my first reaction. I may have more after June 12.

My questions to other CM users -

for a small tv screen size, what cc preferences have worked best for you?

On my small tv, which sometimes puts color on cc letterring from the tv cc itself, I see that the letters for program descriptions are multicolored. Do the letters for program descriptions appear multicolored on your screen, too?

Is there any way to move down the listing of programs for each station without having to press the down arrow each time you want to move to the next time period?

Have you found any way to deal with manually checking a station that is not yet added?

I am still not sure if the box should have the orange/yellow light on when the box is turned off and all that means is that it is in standby, or if the light should be red, signaling "off."

I tested my CM on three different antennas - two were dipole only, one way a UHF/VHF combination. The VHF pulled in most stations strong, never got the two "weak" stations. The UHF/VHF pulled in the two weak stations when the antenna was pointed in a specific way with no room for error. It was an UNamplified antenna. Have other CM users found that an unamplified antenna is sufficient for pulling in most stations including the weaker ones? The antenna that worked the best among the three was the VHF/UHF (RCA ANT145). I had a fine tuning dial knob and a UHF "plate" rotatable by 180 degrees.

So far, my box has not gotten "stuck" or experienced any "problems." The major problems so far have to do with the close to unreadable text size of cc and other displayed messages on a small tv screen, and the tedious nature of having to work through the menu screens and option. I am impressed with the boxe's ability to hold signals.
post #1192 of 1483 Old 06-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

That says it all! My CM7000 LED is Green on and dimmer Amber off. I could read the OSD on a 4 inch Sony black and white TV. Some TVs are not as clear. The best feature of the CM7000 for me is the picture quality.
post #1193 of 1483 Old 06-09-2009, 01:50 PM

mr100watt, now that was a real review.

I don't know how many people are still looking for another CECB, but I'll throw out a few replies to your review.

1) The buttons on the box itself are notorious for moving 2 or 3 channels every time. I got a box that the up button works correctly, but the down button moves 2 or 3 channels at a time.

2) The "excellentness" of the EPG is totally offset by the unreadable typeface.

Even on large screens, the EPG is unreadable. People ask if it's legible on ## sized screen. The larger the screen is, the display is still 480i. There is a limit to the resolution. If the type gets too small, it will be fuzzy, or full of dot-crawl, no matter how large the screen size is. The CM text is THAT small.

3) The remote not only has a stupid layout, it has those unused buttons, yet the unused buttons are still labeled. Sheesh. Who thought up the bright idea of labeling a button "page up" even though it doesn't do anything?

4) No APT is not a problem. I used to think APT was an absolute must. Now I've changed my mind. I simply run one antenna line directly to the tv's RF plug for the analog channels, and then the CECB's output into the RCA composite jacks for the digital channels.

5) The manual is essentially worthless. I have had to come here to figure out most of the uses of the CM 7000. It's best feature, the (14:9) in-between aspect ratio isn't even mentioned in the manual.

6) I find PQ to be unremarkable. The reviewers who said it was best may have compared s-video on the CM to composite from boxes that don't have s-video. That isn't fair. Composite vs. composite, or RF vs. RF, the CM 7000 isn't particularly better than the other CECBs. IMHO.

7) I felt the padding in the box was insufficient. As I mentioned in another thread, mine arrived with the 3/4 switch bashed in, and a pushed in spot on the cardboard where the 3/4 switch had hit it in transit.

As for CC, I have left that to the tv, since my tv has the "closed captioning on mute" option which no CECB has.

However, none of these gripes changes the ability to hold on to channels w/o breaking up. It is excellent. Other boxes break up the signal when wind blows through our big, old trees (dynamic multipath). The CM doesn't. That's a huge plus.

Depending on the amount of overscan the tv has, the partial zoom, halfway between letterbox and fullscreen cut-out, is really useful. The Digital Stream is the only other CECB I know of that has that feature.

For the people on this BB (early adopters) I recommend the CM 7000. You are used to putting up with quirks of new technology to get its benefits. The small text, the confusing remote, are things you'll put up with to get the CM 7000's superior performance.

However, for the average Joe, go buy a Zenith DTT901 at Sears. "Grandma" is going to have a heck of a frustrating time getting used to a CM 7000. Again, IMHO.
post #1194 of 1483 Old 06-09-2009, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNinCA View Post

6) I find PQ to be unremarkable. The reviewers who said it was best may have compared s-video on the CM to composite from boxes that don't have s-video.

I believe that that's exactly what they were saying, that S-video output was an advantage for the CM-7000 over boxes that don't have it, and most of them didn't try to imply anything else.
post #1195 of 1483 Old 06-09-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Even on large screens, the EPG is unreadable. People ask if it's legible on ## sized screen. The larger the screen is, the display is still 480i. There is a limit to the resolution. If the type gets too small, it will be fuzzy, or full of dot-crawl, no matter how large the screen size is. The CM text is THAT small.

I am setting 15 feet from my TV and have no problem reading the CM 7000 IPG, could it be bigger yes, is the IPG useless as is, no way. Of the six different CECB's I own CM 7000 is by far the best.

Philip
post #1196 of 1483 Old 06-09-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

S-video output was an advantage for the CM-7000 over boxes that don't have it

That's exactly my experience. I have both the Z 901 and the CM7000 connected to the same large screen TV, and although both provide good pictures, the CM, using S-video, is without question a step above the 901 in pic quality.
post #1197 of 1483 Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
QR to JNinCA post:

1) The few times I've used the buttons on the box I've observed some flakiness; mainly the power button doesn't like to turn the box off sometimes.

2) EPG font is small but very readable on my 27" (S-video hook-up).

3) I discovered the one unmarked button acts like an Enter key. I wonder why they didn't make the obvious connection of the channel and volume functions to the big arrow keys? (EIA standard?!). And link the dadgum Favorites to the channel function for crying out loud (I find the Fav useless since it requires so many button pushes to navigate). Mute is kinda in a weird spot but at least off to a corner. I think the coders broke off to another project half-way through design. I suspect the remote is a generic model they use on a variety of products (I can feel a set of mystery holes below the bottom set of buttons by pressing there on the escutcheon plate). I do like the size and feel of it though.

5) Yeah, that extra zoom is great. My Zinwell over-zooms IMO.

6) I agree with dattier on the S-video. A big reason I bought this box as so few have it.

post #1198 of 1483 Old 06-10-2009, 08:28 AM
wws

This is interesting. I have been messing around with captioning a bit this morning. It seems that the "CC1" captioning has tiny font, but the "Digital-1" captioning follows what is selected in the "preferences" menu. (I use 'large', and 'font-4'.) Looks like a bug in the firmware to me! So to those who are complaining about tiny fonts, try selecting the digital version instead.

FWIW, with my 10 year old 32" Panasonic set, and using s-video, I can easily read the digital captions from across my great room - about 25 feet or more. The captioning is almost the same size as the news crawler that the TV station is placing at the bottom of the screen. But yeah, the CM7000 CC1 captioning is pretty small...

One other solution is to simply use the closed captioning in the TV set as one always has, rather than the feature in the CM-7000. Since the analog captioning is 'passed through', this still works. On my Panasonic, the built-in captioning has even larger letters than the TV stations crawler.
post #1199 of 1483 Old 06-10-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Good advice on the CC style, but I end up with mine on CC1 now and then, because Digital 1 doesn't work. Not sure what that's about, because I don't need to change CC style on my other CECBs nearly as often. Accessing CC from my TV is very inconvenient, it's buried in menus. When I'm watching something and need CC, it is actually faster to switch CECBs than to figure out which CC style works, with the long pauses before the text starts (or doesn't) -- the delay seems to be worse on the CM7000. I use CC frequently in prime time; some stations have the background music turned up too high. I'd say it's my old ears, except my kids feel the same way.
post #1200 of 1483 Old 06-12-2009, 12:37 PM

Could someone please explain what the Vertical Blanking Interval problem is, and what units have it?

Also, are there multiple versions of the software? I'll post mine here soon.

Thanks.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)