Channel Master CM-7000 Digital to Analog Converter - Page 47 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1381 of 1483 Old 01-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Finally got around to popping the hood on my CM-7000. As the OP said, The 12v & 5v were slightly high, while the 3v was low (as I recall about 2-1/2v). I dug around in my old parts collection and found a 1000 mf cap 25v (slightly larger in physical size, but voltage won't matter as long as it's not less). It wouldn't fit all the way down on the board because of the larger diameter, so I left it at about 1/2" off the board......not going to be tossed around any.

Did anyone else notice the appearance of the large epoxy rectifier next to the cap? Might be a Zener....can't read the numbers without removing the component. Looks like it's ran pretty hot....the phenolic board is discolored, and has that charred smell. That thing sets fairly close to the bad capacitor I replaced....Wonder if the heat off the rectifier cooked the capacitor? .....sounds feasible to me.

Anyway.....Running for 2 days now. I'm ready to call it fixed.

Chris C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1483 Old 01-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Regarding CM7000 sensitivity.

My cousin could not get WPCW (19.1, actual 11) in Jeannette, PA 15644 outside Pittsburgh using an RCA 1250 High Power amplified set top antenna.

Her CM went "red light" and she replaced it with a DigitalStream bought at Radio Shack a few months ago.

Now she can get 19.1 and feels that the DS has a much stronger tuner.

I have the same problem with my CM but I have a DDT901 Zenith NIB that I am reluctant to open since I don't know if it would get 19.1 like the DS.

Any thoughts?

THanks in advance,
Tom

PS. I have the exact same RCA 1250 and cannot get 19.1 and just put up a CM 4228 on my porch to no avail although it produces much high signal strength than the RCA. Maybe I should be an amp on it?
post #1383 of 1483 Old 01-10-2011, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccrider2
Did anyone else notice the appearance of the large epoxy rectifier next to the cap? Might be a Zener....can't read the numbers without removing the component. Looks like it's ran pretty hot....the phenolic board is discolored, and has that charred smell. That thing sets fairly close to the bad capacitor I replaced....Wonder if the heat off the rectifier cooked the capacitor? .....sounds feasible to me.

Yes my board is slightly discolored. The large epoxy rectifier is a diode, not a zener. The diode getting hot did not cause the capacitor to fail. If anything the capacitor added additional heat to the diode due to longer conduction time. The diode also may not be a fast recovery diode, I did not check, which would also cause additional heat dissipated by the diode.

I tested all of the capacitors and found a number of them have high ESR values indicating they have deteriorated.

These are just cheap low hour rated capacitors.
post #1384 of 1483 Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebar View Post

Yes my board is slightly discolored. The large epoxy rectifier is a diode, not a zener. The diode getting hot did not cause the capacitor to fail. If anything the capacitor added additional heat to the diode due to longer conduction time. The diode also may not be a fast recovery diode, I did not check, which would also cause additional heat dissipated by the diode.

I tested all of the capacitors and found a number of them have high ESR values indicating they have deteriorated.

These are just cheap low hour rated capacitors.

Guess it might be a good idea to replace them all. Looks as though they made this thing as cheap as they could. You'd think a full wave supply wouldn't have added that much to the total cost.

Chris C
post #1385 of 1483 Old 01-11-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 92
It's our disposable society, if it makes it out of warranty and preferably a year, the mfg. is off the hook
In the 70s I used to work on old radios from the 30s-50s and most capacitors were fine, only the largest electrolytic and wax paper ones tended to fail. I find that ok but 2 years just greed It's not like the CM was a cheap box, I believe it was about the most expensive CECB of the time($20 more than most). I guess the added dollars didn't go into 5 cents caps instead of the 3 cents ones
On the plus side, it sure included a nice RF cable, of course the customer could actually see that, no one would notice better caps in the power supply
post #1386 of 1483 Old 01-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Yep....for real

Chris C
post #1387 of 1483 Old 01-13-2011, 10:48 PM

Liked: 10
And the CM7000 was the rare exception to everything made in China. Those cheap Bulgarians.

post #1388 of 1483 Old 01-14-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Me wonders if they let their EMS company have too much part selection control and they used low grade caps in some builds to cut costs? Or a substitute when they ran out of caps? (that happened with my last employer - the EMS didn't want to admit they didn't order parts in time and stop the presses). I would be surprised a company like CM would resort to such measures on their own as it hurts their brand name. Plus many times it's the same if not cheaper to use the same components used in the higher quality products (higher volume price breaks, reduction of multiple inventory, etc.).

I'm also surprised that caps in this day and age would be of poor quality. Maybe they let the EMS design this box with little oversight? (i.e. use of under-rated caps per design requirements?).

post #1389 of 1483 Old 02-27-2011, 06:37 PM

Over the last year, I've managed to drop each of my cm-7K remotes on the Saltillo tile floor. About two drops each until they wouldn't work.
Took them apart one last time before trashing them, and noticed the battery contact tabs were loose and wiggled freely on the printed circuit board. First attempt at solder failed. Need to scratch some of the green coating around the printed circuit board contact point to give the solder a place to bond. Second soldering attempt successful. Dang, I really missed that Guide button!
post #1390 of 1483 Old 02-28-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradsky View Post

Dang, I really missed that Guide button!

My inexpensive Philips u-remote I got at a CVS drugstore has a Guide button (and verifed on my CM) so I suspect that function is common to newer u-remotes that support DTV converter boxes. Also has the Info button. No aspect ratio button (CM > Wide) on my model of u-remote though.

post #1391 of 1483 Old 03-04-2011, 04:22 PM

Fry's has the CM-7000 for sale in their ad today, 4Mar11, for $59.99 which is about $20 off normal price.
tom
post #1392 of 1483 Old 03-19-2011, 07:49 PM

Had mine since March 2009. Red-lighted some time ago - just gave up on it since my indoor dipole was having issues with reception anyhow. Finally found the determination to get coax into the room and found the converter box persistently red-lighted and unresponsive to any power cycling, button pushing, etc. Not sure if I have the will to procure & replace caps. I will buy some beer and come to your shop maybe.

In the meantime found an older Centronics tuner I had purchased even earlier (didn't qualify for the coupon) and it fired right up. Looks pretty comparable to the CM to my less-than-videophile (and bifocal lacking) eyes.
post #1393 of 1483 Old 03-19-2011, 09:58 PM

I replaced mine a few months ago and have had no problems since. If you don't feel you can replace them yourself, send me a PM and maybe I can repair it for you.
post #1394 of 1483 Old 03-20-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equivocal View Post
Those cheap Bulgarians.
Hilarious. A fellow was in our plant last year with pictures from a turbine he worked on over there - just gigantic. Like Soviet-era "we will make it bigger & crush the running dog imperialist". If they're making anything with semiconductors I'm guessing one of us built it (and the PCB's BOM).

Speaking of BOM, anyone go to the trouble of building a "recommended spare parts" list for the CM7000 repairs you've done? That would be great for those of us who can do a little soldering but don't have a friend with a massive component junk drawer.

Whitebar, it's more laziness / inertia than ability - I wouldn't feel right about imposing.

Thanks for all the advice.

JR in OH
post #1395 of 1483 Old 03-20-2011, 11:52 AM

From testing the caps in my unit, these are the one I would replace at a minimum:

C14 - 4.7ufd 50v UPW1H4R7MDD
C4 - 1ufd 50v UPW1H010MDD
C8 - 100ufd 25v UHE1E101MED
C10 - 470ufd 16v UHE1C471MPD
C12 - 1000ufd 10v UHE1A102MPD

There are 4 others in the supply that were not grossly bad.
C1 - 22ufd 400v EEU-EE2G220 **
C7 - 220ufd 25v UHE1E221MPD
C11 - Same as C10
C13 - Same as C10

Part Numbers of replacement caps are Nichicon except the 22ufd 400v that is Panasonic.

** Updated C1 replacement part number to correct physical size part.
post #1396 of 1483 Old 03-20-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bari_old_dad View Post

Whitebar, it's more laziness / inertia than ability - I wouldn't feel right about imposing.

I wouldn't see as imposing, more of a service for those without the ability or desire.
I figured $18 plus the cost of return shipping. This would cover my cost of the parts and a little for labor.
I won't make a living at this, but there would be some satisfaction knowing it was saved from the e-waste (for now).
post #1397 of 1483 Old 03-20-2011, 01:20 PM

That's great . . . I'll see if I have enough for a minimum order from Digi-key or = and get them coming. Will post if I have any success . . .
post #1398 of 1483 Old 03-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bari_old_dad View Post

That's great . . . I'll see if I have enough for a minimum order from Digi-key or = and get them coming. Will post if I have any success . . .

Might want to check at Newark, I assume, only in Indy. I can't say for sure that they don't have a minimum order, but I've never been billed a fee for an order. But then I usually go wild ordering several of each when buying, just to keep in the junk drawer....prices are also way cheaper than the Shack. Also, on some items you get a price break on quantities.

I don't work there...

Chris C
post #1399 of 1483 Old 03-20-2011, 03:18 PM

Berry Old ... Either Mouser or Digi-Key have a very low shipping / handling fee. I just can't remember which one. I think it is Mouser, FWIW. http://www.mouser.com/
For power supply use, I would go with "Low ESR" and 105C capacitors that match the physical dimensions[if no room on the board], capacitance and voltage from the Nichicon or Panasonic lineups.
They are very quick to get stuff in the mail. I have no $$ invested, just reporting my experience.
tom
post #1400 of 1483 Old 03-24-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwalsh0 View Post

Berry Old ... Either Mouser or Digi-Key have a very low shipping / handling fee.
They are very quick to get stuff in the mail.

Thanks - wish I would have read your post a little sooner as the parts arrived yesterday (Weds) - 2 days after Digi-key processed the order. Caps are of Japanese mfg - Nishicon. Shipping - asked for US mail 1st class. I ordered 3 of each (starting my own junk drawer), 15 total about $0.32 to $0.64 or so each, total order including shipping was still under $10.

Maybe tomorrow I will give the repair a try . . .

I didn't see that Newark was a sponsor - I would have tried them 1st.
post #1401 of 1483 Old 03-26-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebar View Post

From testing the caps in my unit, these are the one I would replace at a minimum:

C14 - 4.7ufd 50v UPW1H4R7MDD
C4 - 1ufd 50v UPW1H010MDD
C8 - 100ufd 25v UHE1E101MED
C10 - 470ufd 16v UHE1C471MPD
C12 - 1000ufd 10v UHE1A102MPD

There are 4 others in the supply that were not grossly bad.
C1 - 22ufd 400v EEU-EE2G220 **
C7 - 220ufd 25v UHE1E221MPD
C11 - Same as C10
C13 - Same as C10

Part Numbers of replacement caps are Nichicon except the 22ufd 400v that is Panasonic.

Tried the 1st five and still red light only . . . checked polarity and cold solder joints, seems OK. Maybe I will try C11 and C13 later. The big cap C1 had a pool of spooge, not sure - looked like liquid nails, which pooled over to C14 on the top-side of the PCB. Is this just some sort of tamper-evident stuff, or did one of these loose its electrolyte maybe?
post #1402 of 1483 Old 03-26-2011, 04:50 PM

The C14/C1 stuff is used to secure the parts from shock and vibration.

If you have a voltmeter I would measure the power supply outputs. The voltages are mark on the logic board at the connector. The voltages can be checked from the wire side of the connector while it is plugged in. You should have 3.3v (3.2-3.4), 5v (4.5-5.5), and 12V (11-13).

If the voltages are ok, look on the logic board, there are several large through hole caps.
ET1 is a 1000uf 10v (5mm spacing vs the 3.5mm on the power supply)
ET2, EW1 are 470uf 10v (470uf 16v for the power supply is ok)
post #1403 of 1483 Old 06-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

I just picked up one of these CM7000s on ebay...and boy, does it cook. I wanted it because I have an MT2 dual-tuner OTA module in my DN box, but it's dropout happy and produces "screens of death" in both rooms...not good. The living room is no problem because I can use the TV's tuner or my HTPC, but I needed a box for the old 20" Samsung in the bedroom.
The tuner sensitivity is fantastic. Right away, it found a low-power that I had never seen before today because of a strong co-channel. Several stations with way-below-zero noise margins that the MT2 has problems with were rock-steady. I also have 2 stations on RF41, an analog and a digital, opposite each other. The CM grabs the digital easily with a bi-directional antenna, whereas all of my other tuners take about 10 seconds to produce video, and have blocking errors from the analog signal. The CM signal meter flops around wildly on this station, but the picture and sound stay smooth and steady.
The S-Video output is a nice bonus, and makes this the best PQ I've ever seen on this old CRT. The unit runs a lot cooler than the MicroGEM boxes I use in my kid's rooms, and the remote is a lot nicer to use than most CECBs. My only gripe- it can't handle duplicate virtual channel numbers, which is a problem in my area as there are conflicts at 23, 24, & 57. It will lose the old one if a scan finds a new one.
post #1404 of 1483 Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 AM

I just tried connecting a channelmaster to a hidef crt tv.

I first hooked up a pal, which was acceptable, but not impressive.

I then connected the channelmaster with s-video and it really looks good.
This is a 36" sony HS500, an older model.
I don't even know if it upconverts.
It has very few options for screen configuration.

Sound quality is great, and this set has fairly wide range, so bass distortion would be obvious.

I will be able to compare to a proper hidef signal eventually on one of the good hidef sonys.
Most didn't come with a tuner.

I paid more for the cecb, than I did for the tv.
And that's why I went hidef before I planned to.

I have some dvd recorders with tuners also, all sd.
Every dvd recorder I've seen has an sd tuner until you get into blueray.
That's a real shame.
They are missing a market there.

Maybe this subject needs a thread?
It has come up a few times before.

Even with sets with a hidef tuner in them, I have no plans to buy a second hidef tuner for picture in picture.
Everything I have now, has that feature and no feed for it.

Everyone should be happy to know that the CM signal looks great on a hidef set.
This one is probably 800 lines resolution.
My good one is 1400+.

Signal source is a cheap set of bunny ears.
Amazingly, even for the CM, I'm getting all channels.
We have vhf and uhf stations here.
post #1405 of 1483 Old 06-28-2011, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Yes I also use my CM7000s on a HD set and they look quite good, as good as SD gets. The Zenith CECBs were also good but if you could take advantage of the better quality of S-video, the CMs are the way to go
I'd be a little leary of spending too much for a used unit at this point, capacitor failures seem to starting to surface but maybe they are just anomalies....all 4 of mine still work
post #1406 of 1483 Old 06-30-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, fresh posts!
I thought there were still some new CMs online or maybe it was Fry's. Of course they're probably the same ones built a few years ago so if that's the case one might get a better deal from an individual selling one they never used (i.e. coupon mania at the time).

Hey didn't one of you guys buy one of the TRT boxes? If so, how has it held up?

post #1407 of 1483 Old 07-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

This CM box has been doing some spooky things with the channel map. I have a rotor and a lot of channels, including some of those duplicate vitual channel numbers. So I have "picked" which ones I want in the map.
Now if I turn the rotor, and the antenna gets a look at the station I didn't pick, it appears on the map, replacing the one that I picked. I didn't run another scan, I just tuned in a different station at the same azimuth. This only happens on RF channels that are already in the map, but that's all of them except 9,11,14,15,23,24, and of course 37. The rest is full and some of those are co-channels.
It's like there's a ghost in the machine running add-on scans. It even grabbed one during tropo from 120 miles away!
post #1408 of 1483 Old 07-01-2011, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I've noticed some oddities too that it seems to have a scan mind of its own. Like picking up a duplicate set of PBS stations. And CBS here has a VHF and a UHF channel but it only picked one, but I don't know which one (my Artecs and Zinwells display both channels).

I suspect the ghost does the scans when turned on.

post #1409 of 1483 Old 07-02-2011, 02:08 PM

My channelmaster is doing something similar with channels.

I ran the sharpness up to full, and the sony hidef looks amazing now.
Good audio too.
The sony has great sound for it's size.
Any blips from the box should show up.
Anyone know if an HS500 upconverts?
Can't wait to try the box on my sfp model.

I have one TRT running since I got it.
Still my favorite.
post #1410 of 1483 Old 07-03-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-1138 View Post

My channelmaster is doing something similar with channels.

I ran the sharpness up to full, and the sony hidef looks amazing now.
Good audio too.

I have one TRT running since I got it.
Still my favorite.

Many TVs have different user-adjustable PQ settings for each input mode. I mention this because I've seen posters complain about the PQ, but one box will be on composite while the CM is on s-video (i.e. they say the CM doesn't look good enough).

The Artec box is one of a few if not the only one that has PQ adjustments within its menu.

Yeah that TRT looks sweet on paper. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still selling them (I think it had to be purchased from the mfg but not sure).

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)