post #1471 of 1483 Old 09-25-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

My RCA U-remote had a specific CM converter box code. Is the Pioneer code one for a cable-TV box or something like that - I know there was not a Pioneer CECB (or "DTC" as RCA calls it).

Yes, would be under cable box rather than converter box. I think really more for older u-remotes that don't have converter box programming. Also requires turning on the Pioneer cable box function in the CM's menu (sounds like you could get in the user menu with the RCA). You could try it if you have an older u-remote or maybe even try it with the RCA via programming for a cable box.

That seems weird though as a converter box-dedicated u-remote should have good functionality. Does the mute function work? Also try the arrow keys rather than the volume keys. I'll have to try mine again when I get a chance but currently have jury duty (I don't have it programmed anymore as I got an HD tuner).

Edit P.S. Also watch for pass-thru or punch-thru function on the RCA that makes the TV take priority on the volume control. Check you RCA manual.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1483 Old 09-26-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

I'll have to try mine again when I get a chance but currently have jury duty (I don't have it programmed anymore as I got an HD tuner).

Update: They plead out so I'm done! smile.gif My modern Philips u-remote (i.e. utilizes converter box codes) controls the volume no problem; it is capable (with a program setting) of setting the TV to punch-thru though which would cause your problem. My ancient RCA u-remote (Pioneer cable box code) does not control the volume as it has a fixed punch-thru for the TV.

post #1473 of 1483 Old 10-22-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

My modern Philips u-remote (i.e. utilizes converter box codes) controls the volume no problem; it is capable (with a program setting) of setting the TV to punch-thru though which would cause your problem. My ancient RCA u-remote (Pioneer cable box code) does not control the volume as it has a fixed punch-thru for the TV.
Thank you! Using a $6 Philips u-remote from Big Lots solved the problem, it controls the volume and other features that the RCA u-remote could not.
post #1474 of 1483 Old 02-17-2014, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
this box was a pile of disappointment. out of three purchased, two died (capacitors) and one sometimes reboots when it's first powered on.
post #1475 of 1483 Old 02-17-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 86

Yes it's really bad that CM apparently took the low road and used sub standard capacitors :( Knock on wood mine are all still working(4 but only 2 in use) but it sounds like it's just a matter of time......when it works, as mine does, it has the potential to be one of, if not the best CECB made, again too bad so many seem to be failing. Unless one really wants the quality of the S-video output(as I do) or nice guide, I think one of the Zenith/Insignia CECBs are probably a better choice.

post #1476 of 1483 Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Was this capacitor problem only certain manufacturing dates? My two boxes are still going strong (knock on wood) although I just use them for recorder tuners. Yet the first years of CECB-time it was my main tuner (acquired an HD tuner on the cheap a couple of years ago). I say "it" because one was used for the main TV and one for the bedroom TV (light use), and I would swap them after several months to even out the use.

I have experienced a problem where they the pic goes 'off in the weeds' infrequently which requires me to pull the cord live to give it a hard reset (normal power toggling doesn't work). When it does this it produces really bad interline twitter. Of course this really sucks when a box does this as a recorder tuner, I need to get in the habit of checking the PQ when setting up a recording.

You're welcome seatacboy!

post #1477 of 1483 Old 02-17-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 86

I've never heard of any specific dates, my boxes are basically original when the first came out.

I'm not sure why some people experience problems but others not, same thing with older DVD recorders where I have several that are working just fine while others have had to have the capacitors replaced :confused: I wonder if it has to do with the users local power or if it's just the luck of the draw. If the later I'd call myself lucky and as you said........knock on wood :)

post #1478 of 1483 Old 02-17-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah mine are earlier vintage too, well when the coupons first came out. And the cap problem posts seemed like were folks complaining they've only had them for a year or two. Hmmm, makes me wonder - later cost reduction? Or akin to Allied forces bombing Nazi factories late in the war? biggrin.gif (antique gun collectors are all too familiar with this issue in regards to the Walther P38 9mm pistol).

post #1479 of 1483 Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 PM

In my experience, I used them 24/7 on TiVo boxes. One went three years, the other four before losing the caps.
post #1480 of 1483 Old 02-18-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardly View Post

In my experience, I used them 24/7 on TiVo boxes. One went three years, the other four before losing the caps.

How long ago do you think you bought those? I'm thinking that if it was about 4 years ago then they're possibly* several years later build dates than jjeff's and my units.

*Depends on who you bought them from, warehouse storage, etc.

post #1481 of 1483 Old 02-18-2014, 12:04 PM

They were purchased in 2009. I replaced them with DTT-901's in 2013. Still running 24/7.
Gave the CM-7000's to Whitebar.
post #1482 of 1483 Old 02-18-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardly View Post

They were purchased in 2009.

After further review, same here (Jan. and May from Solid Signal). I thought earlier in the CECB program but I'm really good at procrastinating things. redface.gif

Now I wonder if my infrequent problem mentioned above could be due to some of these caps, maybe induced by insufficient noise filtering. I know my Zinwell ZAT-970A's freak out when I toggle a fan on the same circuit but they only have a mere wall-wart for a power supply; my lone ZAT-950A does the same thing but I don't have to re-tune the channel to get it to snap out of it (different tuner module and maybe other components).

post #1483 of 1483 Old 02-18-2014, 01:58 PM

It may be that my problems were exacerbated by defeating the energy saver so that they run 24/7.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page