check this out http://trtinfo.com/Portals/27/TRTPar...7/Default.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1483 Old 04-28-2008, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic DMR-E95H and I am also interested in whether the Channel Master CM-7000 Converter is compatible with the Panasonic's IR Blaster. The Panasonic has codes for a number of older cable boxes. I unsuccessfully tried a Zenith DTT900 converter on the chance that some of the codes for the cable boxes would work. I liked the video from the Zenith, but it exhibited some annoying audio problems. Panasonic Consumer Support did not know of any compatible DTV converters.
post #213 of 1483 Old 04-28-2008, 11:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
My Panny E85H controlled my Accurian ATSC tuner with a Pioneer cable box code, so I would assume the E95H will probably contain the Pio code for the CM box (chances are it's the same code).
post #214 of 1483 Old 04-29-2008, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just got a CM 7000 from L & S Electronics for $64.98 in Johnson City, TN. I am a bit disappointed in the performance compared to Zenith on the same antenna. It is a bit weaker reception wise across the board on UHF except for two stations that have multipath issues due to mountians. I only have one VHF DTV station and the CM 7000 is definitely better than Zenith on Ch. 7. Ch. 7 has some co-channel interference issues and the CM 7000 is definitely better on Ch 7. It could be better on all VHF channels than Zenith, but there is only one station to test on. The guide is hard to read, but good to have. The CM 7000 is not as forgiving as the Zenith in terms of reception when antenna placement is not perfect. The bottom line, the CM 7000 is weaker on UHF and a bit better on VHF which may be good later when stations move back to UHF. I hope the Echostar unit is better.
post #215 of 1483 Old 04-29-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

I'm not sure if the Digitalstream DTX9900 has a 16:9 setup mode.

Read/scanned through that monster thread yesterday and I didn't see the answer or an example of the setup menu. I posted a comment there and hopefully someone will confirm it for sure. I think it may not and may only have a 16:9 anamorphic mode.

As one poster's image showed, the DTX9900 does have the 16:9 setting - but ONLY for the x.1 subchannels!!! All others are fixed to anamorphic. This is a nuisance. Why only allow us to change the x.1 subchannels?

As for the cutoff of the bottom few lines... in almost every case that's a minor nuisance. Shouldn't be a deal breaker for most viewers.

I've generally alternated between the DS' 14:9 and anamorphic settings. 14:9 is a nice option for a lot of programming. Apparently, not many CECBs offer this option.
post #216 of 1483 Old 05-01-2008, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onslowtn View Post

The bottom line, the CM 7000 is weaker on UHF and a bit better on VHF .

This is good to know, because I have stations on 8, 10, 11, 12, and 13.

Thanks for the info! :-)
post #217 of 1483 Old 05-01-2008, 06:26 AM

Hey, Onslowtn, were you using the CM7000 or the CM7000 D2A model? I see solidsignal sells the CM7000 and summitsource sells the CM7000 D2A. Wonder if they are the same box? Regards

Dave E

Whodart NLRock
post #218 of 1483 Old 05-01-2008, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's the same box. I am not sure reception is better on Ch. 7 than Zenith. It seems to handle interference and multipath a bit better, but It is weaker on UHF stations that do not have major multipath issues.
post #219 of 1483 Old 05-01-2008, 08:24 PM

I received my Channel Master CM-7000 box from www.freedtvshop.com on Tuesday and these are my first impressions. (They are in stock there now BTW)

The box feels solid and is of metal construction which is nice. I am not crazy about the color, as I would prefer black to match the rest of my equipment. Remote is ok, but as you can see on the users manual the remote is a bit strange as it has "unused" buttons for some reason. I don't care too much how the remote looks or feels because I was always planning on using my Yamaha receiver's universal remote. This worked very well due to the fact the CM-7000 uses Pioneer Cable box codes. Granted I can't access all the features of the CM-7000 with my universal remote (it is not a learning remote) such as the on screen guide, setup menus etc. But typically I know what I am going to watch and am so I am not too concerned about it. If I do want the guide I can always just pickup the CM-7000 remote.

I have very good analog reception (large antenna in the attic and signal coming from only 15 miles away) so it was no surprise that nearly all of my stations were at 100% signal strength. I am not the one to ask about reception as I am sure any box would work with my setup. It does not have analog pass through but I don't watch any low powered stations anyways so it was not a concern for me

I did notice there was a difference in quality between even my best analog station and the digital signal through the Composite connection on my 32" tv. Not earth shattering but defiantly noticeable. Between the Composite and S-video connection again there was a (bit more subtle) difference in quality (S-video obviously being better). As a test I asked my wife if she noticed a difference between the two (not telling her which was which) and she noticed the difference immediately (but then again she is a photographer and has a good eye for these things!)

Overall I am happy with the CM-7000. It is probably the most expensive box out there right now, but it is also the only one currently available with S-video. I think this is this is the best box currently on the market for me. (Otherwise why would I have bought it )
post #220 of 1483 Old 05-02-2008, 06:36 AM

Maybe northbear and others who have the CM-7000 can help us understand whether this box will display an image as we prefer it. Watching on a Sony 36" glass 4:3 EDTV we want to see 16:9 images displayed as letterbox, or 4:3 images displayed full screen, each showing full transmitted image with no additional zoom, stretch, or distortion. We have found all the discussion about the different screen modes a little little unclear, DTV being very new to us.

The CM box is one of our current preferences because of its s-video capability, but I'm a hog looking at a wristwatch when people start discussing the various screen modes. We understand the ins, outs, and relativity in matters of signal strength, but are not overly concerned about tuner sensitivity. We're getting very good digital reception on our Sharp Aquos HDTV off an antenna array that has the best possible UHF antenna atop the pole, and lower down a very good VHF log periodic, both amplified separately with a CM 7777 preamp. Our transmitting towers are 45 miles distant, but we're located a little downhill from what would be ideal. The Sharp usually shows about 75% signal strength, and reception drops out somewhere below 50%. We assume its tuner is probably about average in terms of sensitivity, which also describes the CM-7000, judging from user reports in these threads.

Thanks in advance for any light any of you can shed on whether the CM box will display an image as we prefer it.
post #221 of 1483 Old 05-02-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

oh my god i just wrote summit and this is what they said

Me:has the Channel Master CM-7000 come in stock yet
Summit Source: Channel Master called us to let us their boat from the factory was delayed in Bulgaria, and that we'll be receiving the boxes from them the week of May 19th. We'll ship them out to our customers the day they hit our doorstep.

who the hell makes electronice in Bulgaria
post #222 of 1483 Old 05-02-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger666 View Post

Summit Source: Channel Master called us to let us their boat from the factory was delayed in Bulgaria, and that we'll be receiving the boxes from them the week of May 19th. We'll ship them out to our customers the day they hit our doorstep.

Hey, ordered the CM7000 box from FreeDTV shop today, it is in stock, and sales said it comes from China? Big suprise.

Whodart NLRock
post #223 of 1483 Old 05-02-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Believe it or not, China actually farms out a lot of their production to even cheaper places now, because their costs have been rising along with the standard of living there.
post #224 of 1483 Old 05-02-2008, 01:01 PM

China already farming out production? Things are moving too fast. I don't think China has mastered quality assurance and quality control yet, much less confer any understanding of it to operations in lesser countries. It seems to me we're seeing the effects of that in the DOAs, infant mortality, and big sample to sample performance variations people are reporting in the CECBs they've bought.
post #225 of 1483 Old 05-02-2008, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Bulgaria is not even near china , at lest the map i'm looking at says so. It's near turkey and greece, what the hell did the boat get their , it's like the tile for our house, got stuck in turkey because of the war and was a month late
post #226 of 1483 Old 05-02-2008, 02:32 PM

What's wrong with Bulgaria? Nobody raised a fuss when it was mentioned over a month ago...
post #227 of 1483 Old 05-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger666 View Post

I ordered from summitsource as well. The day after i ordered it, the backorder estimate changed from 2 weeks to 4 weeks. Well at least i kind of know when they will ship it to me now.
post #228 of 1483 Old 05-02-2008, 09:51 PM

Fry's has them in B&M ad for $59.99 again.
Still don't take $40 coupons.

http://ads.ocregister.com/interactive-ads/ocr/images/pdf/20080502084047.pdf
post #229 of 1483 Old 05-03-2008, 11:43 AM

Hello,

I picked up up an RCA box at Walmart and it is OK. I thought my second coupon would be used on a CM but now I am not so sure from what I have read so far.

They are on sale at Fry's in Phoenix ( as mentioned above). Hopefully they take the coupon since this box is listed on the CECB website (ntiadtv.gov/cecb_list.cfm) unless Fry's isn't a participating retailer.

Here is a great site on CECB boxes - will answer the question about which chip it uses

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CECB_units

I will post again if I get a CM.
post #230 of 1483 Old 05-03-2008, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Frys is not participating in the coupon program. You'd have to buy outright if getting it at Frys.
post #231 of 1483 Old 05-04-2008, 05:25 PM

Well, I took the plunge and ordered two CM-7000 converter boxes from Summit Source. My coupons expire on 5/23, so I was concerned that Summit Source will not be getting a new supply until 5/19. I emailed Summit Source with my concerns, and I received a reply email from Gretchen stating that they could process my coupons right away if I authorized them to do so in the comments for my order. I followed her instructions. Let's hope it works out OK.

I am going to connect these two boxes to a Sony 24" Wega Trinitron and a Panasonic Showstopper (Replay) using S-video connections. The Showstopper and one of the boxes will both feed the TV with S-video through a Sony STR-DE845 receiver which does S-video switching.

I am going to try to control the box hooked up to the Showstopper with its IR blaster using Pioneer codes. 0144 I believe.

I will let you know how all this works when I get it set up.

William Coleman
post #232 of 1483 Old 05-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramashiva View Post

Well, I took the plunge and ordered two CM-7000 converter boxes from Summit Source. My coupons expire on 5/23, so I was concerned that Summit Source will not be getting a new supply until 5/19. I emailed Summit Source with my concerns, and I received a reply email from Gretchen stating that they could process my coupons right away if I authorized them to do so in the comments for my order. I followed her instructions. Let's hope it works out OK.

I am going to connect these two boxes to a Sony 24" Wega Trinitron and a Panasonic Showstopper (Replay) using S-video connections. The Showstopper and one of the boxes will both feed the TV with S-video through a Sony STR-DE845 receiver which does S-video switching.

I am going to try to control the box hooked up to the Showstopper with its IR blaster using Pioneer codes. 0144 I believe.

I will let you know how all this works when I get it set up.

Looking forward to your good luck! I have a showstopper that I would like to move to the bedroom, if the CM box works with the IR blaster.

Chris C
post #233 of 1483 Old 05-07-2008, 04:23 AM

Eventually the price of oil will rise so high, it will no longer be practical to ship things across the Pacific Ocean.

And then the factories will move back to the Americas, in order to reduce fuel costs.
post #234 of 1483 Old 05-07-2008, 06:27 AM
jhe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrrroger View Post

Eventually the price of oil will rise so high, it will no longer be practical to ship things across the Pacific Ocean.

And then the factories will move back to the Americas, in order to reduce fuel costs.

Oil prices won't fix this. This is the job of our government. Haven't you heard about the return of sail boats for moving cargo? Especially the new ones where they have kites towing the ships! No need to burn oil.

Soon as prices for oil go up enough we may get those underwater trains they had on a Seaquest episode going to China. That could be all electric from solar power and not use any oil.
post #235 of 1483 Old 05-07-2008, 06:44 AM

Please explain what this oil discussion has to do with the CM box. There's enough clutter without this!

Dan
post #236 of 1483 Old 05-07-2008, 09:57 AM

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who did research on the CM7000 as all of your comments help me my purchase decision.

I just ordered two CM7000's from summitsource

Notes:

Stock - They are still out of stock as of today (05/07/08) but I called summitsource sales and they said they should get their shipment by mid may sometime. I confirmed this by calling Channel Master and CM said that their container is due in by 05/13/08.

BTW - Channel Master online and by phone sales can't accept the coupons as you have to go through either summitsource or another retailer to use the coupons.

Price - I paid $68.95 each and with ground shipping $13.80 to Oregon minus the two coupons ($80) and my grand total for 2 was $71.70 (pretty good I think and it was easy to enter my coupon information once I clicked checkout.

FRYS Electronics - I called the frys.com sales today and their store in Wilsonville, OR and they both said they don't accept the coupons.

Anyway, thanks again and I'll post back after I get my 2 units and try them out with my TV's at my house

Bruce
post #237 of 1483 Old 05-07-2008, 11:21 AM

No I had not heard about sailing ships transporting cargo from China to the Americas. Last I heard, they still use diesel oil (which has tripled in price just since 2000). THAT will make the factories move closer to their American markets (probably Mexico), not any kind of government interference. Economics force businesses to change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kolton View Post

Please explain what this oil discussion has to do with the CM box.

The CM boxes are made in China (or possibly sub-sub-sub-contracted to Korea). i.e. Made overseas. THAT'S the relevance.
post #238 of 1483 Old 05-07-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

The CM boxes are made in China (or possibly sub-sub-sub-contracted to Korea)..

That's funny.. the sticker on mine says "Made in Bulgaria".. (as noted by leo888 and DJ earlier in this thread)

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #239 of 1483 Old 05-07-2008, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

No I had not heard about sailing ships transporting cargo from China to the Americas. Last I heard, they still use diesel oil (which has tripled in price just since 2000). THAT will make the factories move closer to their American markets (probably Mexico), not any kind of government interference. Economics force businesses to change. The CM boxes are made in China (or possibly sub-sub-sub-contracted to Korea). i.e. Made overseas. THAT'S the relevance.

The units are marked Made in Bulgaria and the ship with them as cargo is leaving Bulgaria. Why do you know that the units are actually made in China? Have you been to the China factory? Do you work on the assembly line there?
post #240 of 1483 Old 05-07-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

THAT will make the factories move closer to their American markets (probably Mexico), not any kind of government interference. Economics force businesses to change.

For one Chinese manufacturer, you're partly right, but they're building their new factory in So. Carolina! There was a front page article in yesterday's Los Angeles Times. There are some local/state government subsidies involved.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page