ATSC Converter -> Analog DVR: IR Blaster Channel Control? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 03-07-2008, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an analog DVR/DVD recorder (Panasonic DMR-EH55) and I want to record DTV using a coupon-eligible converter box, preferably with the DVR controlling the channel through its IR blaster.

Has anyone successfully controlled a coupon-eligible converter box using an IR blaster in this manner? If so, how did you set the correct IR codes?

My Panasonic DMR-EH55 can control cable and DirectTV set-tops using an IR blaster. However, the setup requires me to pick a particular set top box manufacturer during configuration of the IR support. I hope to buy an ATSC converter whose IR codes matches an existing device supported by my DVR. I'll be happy to get the main channel numbers without the sub-channels. Converter box recommendations are welcome.

Also, my DVR supports TV-Guide On-Screen for antenna and cable. However, I suspect that if I try to record a program from the antenna listing, it will not use the IR blaster to change channels, but if I try to use the cable TV listings, the channel number will not be correct for the OTA converter box.

Has anybody else worked this out yet?

-Steve Goodridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-07-2008, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Try one of the Digital Stream models from Radio Shack. The last Digital Stream HD ATSC model could be controlled with a Pioneer cable box code, and the Panny recorders usually have that code. Mine do.

Otherwise, I don't expect it to be too common for any old recorders to have the codes for the newer boxes. You may get lucky with one, but the only one I might expect it to work with is the DS, like I said - unless they don't use those Pioneer codes anymore - which is a possibility. But you can return things usually without any hassle at Radio Shack.

And you should be able to still get the TVGOS listings OTA (with your antenna split to the RF input of the Panny, so that the analog tuner can pick up the guide info), and still be able to program recordings through it from the ATSC tuner. You'll just have to enter in the correct channel numbers in the guide for the ATSC tuner's channels. You have to go into the "channel editor" menu to do that, and it's very simple and should work perfectly. You should set up the TVGOS for both "OTA" and "Direct" (Direct would be the best choice - if you use "Digital Cable", the Panny may keep constantly cycling through the ATSC tuner's channels looking for the host channel - with "Direct" it shouldn't - because it will always be getting the guide info OTA) - then after the initial channel download, go into the channel editor and just turn on or off the appropriate channels, and change any numbers if you have to.

You will have to leave the ATSC tuner on at all times, though. The IR blaster will not turn it on and off. And it will only be able to tune to the main channels, like you said.
post #3 of 33 Old 03-08-2008, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

You should set up the TVGOS for both "OTA" and "Direct" (Direct would be the best choice - if you use "Digital Cable", the Panny may keep constantly cycling through the ATSC tuner's channels looking for the host channel - with "Direct" it shouldn't - because it will always be getting the guide info OTA)

By "OTA" and "Direct" do you mean "antenna and DirecTV"?

My DMR-EH55 has five options that can be selected:

Antenna
Cable without a cable box
Cable with a cable box
DirecTV
Dish Network

I'm not sure which of the options you mean by Direct. My instincts say "Cable with a cable box" would be what I need unless DirecTV will work with a Pioneer cable box code.
post #4 of 33 Old 03-08-2008, 09:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggoodri View Post

My instincts say "Cable with a cable box" would be what I need unless DirecTV will work with a Pioneer cable box code.

I'm not sure if you will only be offered a choice of Direct tuner codes if you choose "Direct".

But you can try "Antenna" and "Cable with a cable box" first. If the IR blaster doesn't cause the ATSC tuner to constantly keep cycling through the channels looking for a host channel, then you should be in business.

(And yes - "OTA" is "over the air", meaning "antenna" in your case. I hope you actually have an antenna hooked up and it's receiving the host channel well enough, or doing all this will be fruitless.)
post #5 of 33 Old 03-09-2008, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm not sure if you will only be offered a choice of Direct tuner codes if you choose "Direct".

But you can try "Antenna" and "Cable with a cable box" first. If the IR blaster doesn't cause the ATSC tuner to constantly keep cycling through the channels looking for a host channel, then you should be in business.

(And yes - "OTA" is "over the air", meaning "antenna" in your case. I hope you actually have an antenna hooked up and it's receiving the host channel well enough, or doing all this will be fruitless.)

Thanks - I looked through the settings and I only get a choice of Pioneer codes if I choose "cable with a cable box."

I have a Radio Shack branded Yagi antenna up on the roof with a Channel Master mast-mounted preamp. I use a splitter to feed the HDTV (built-in digital tuner) and my DVR. I plan to use the passthrough on the DVR to feed the converter box when I get it. I am getting good TVGOS listings data for both OTA and cable using the RF antenna connection.

The channel editor looks pretty confusing with a mixture of both antenna and cable listings, but I should be able to figure it out.

Now, all I need is for my coupon to show up....
post #6 of 33 Old 03-09-2008, 10:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That'll work. You have to hook the ATSC tuner back up to a line input on the recorder to record from it, of course.

Then you just have to hope that the TVGOS data search doesn't always default to looking for the host channel from the cable (ATSC) box. If it does, you won't get any guide listings.

(And hopefully, the new DS box still uses a Pio code.)
post #7 of 33 Old 03-29-2008, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Try one of the Digital Stream models from Radio Shack. The last Digital Stream HD ATSC model could be controlled with a Pioneer cable box code, and the Panny recorders usually have that code. Mine do.

So far I cannot control the Digital Stream DTX9900 using the Panny DVR with any of the Pioneer codes that it knows. I have tried a bunch of other manufacturer codes but no success so far. I like the box and will use it with one of our standard-def TVs regardless, but I am hoping for a good solution for use with my DVR. If I can find a compatible legacy cable box that uses the same IR codes and my panasonic knows about it, I'll be set.

The anamorphic wide screen output of the DTX9900 is nice for recording to the DVR and playing back on my HDTV. I've read that the RCA CECB doesn't have this output capability, so although it is reportedly controllable using an RCA sat box IR code I would rather not buy the RCA for use with my DVR.
post #8 of 33 Old 03-30-2008, 12:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm surprised and disappointed to hear that it doesn't work. Sorry to hear that. Because it was so similar to the older model in every way (menus, features) I thought it might work. Maybe it's actually a Pioneer TV code I've been using (in my remotes) rather than a cable box code. But I'm pretty sure I tried it with my older Panny E85H's IR blaster at one time and it worked. Or maybe it could've been my Sony RDR-HX900. One of them, anyway.

Someone said that they found remote codes for the Zenith box, and that you could actually tune it to subchannels by entering the channel number and the sub number in succession, like 262, instead of 26-2.

But then, I don't know if the recorders will carry that code like his remote does, either.

I know RS is supposed to carry the Zenith also, but it's not in all the stores - some people ordered it through them, though. Maybe you could exchange it if they have it, then try that, and if it doesn't work you could exchange it back if you'd rather have the Digital Stream.

I believe you can record in anamorphic widescreen from the Zenith, too (but then there's that audio issue you have to watch out for).

Otherwise, you could wait for the TR-40 with the VCR timer. That's what I'm probably going to do, even if my coupons expire before then (I haven't gotten them yet though, even though I applied on Jan.2).
post #9 of 33 Old 03-30-2008, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Someone said that they found remote codes for the Zenith box
But then, I don't know if the recorders will carry that code like his remote does, either.

The Panasonic DVR doesn't allow me to enter remote code numbers; it requires me to select the manufacturer name and it repeatedly tries each code it has for that manufacturer until I verify success. So, what I really need is to know the manufacturer name for the closest matching cable box to the Digital Stream DTX9900's (or another CECB) codes.

I will be happy to keep the DTX99000 for our Sony standard def TV. But for now I'll continue to use it as a tuner for the DVR by manually tuning it to the channel of interest, with the limitation of not being able to change channels while away.
post #10 of 33 Old 03-30-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The Panasonic DVR doesn't allow me to enter remote code numbers; it requires me to select the manufacturer name and it repeatedly tries each code it has for that manufacturer until I verify success.

Yeah, I know - I have two Pannies myself. And it's a real PITA having to go through them all if you don't know the exact one. I just meant "code" as a general term.
post #11 of 33 Old 04-08-2008, 04:44 PM

I have a Panasonic dmr-eh50 that I am loath to give up. I'm disappointed to read that the Digital Stream. DTX9900 doesn't work with the panny's.

A CECB box spreadsheet at octopus.freeyellow.com/CECB_list_wip.xls
has the following notes at the bottom:
Remote Codes
RCA DTA800B "same remote code as a rca brand directv satellite receiver this is also the same as the dtc-100."
Zenith/Insignia "SAT/DTV/WebTV" "Zenith" "Philips Universal" three device sticker in the battery compartment "CL034" code 0267 "Harmony Remote software/ website already has the codes for the Zenith DTT900"
CM-7000 "uses Pioneer cable box remote codes"

Has anyone tried a Channel Master CM-7000 with a panasonic DVR to see if it can control it?

Does anyone know of any non CECB DTV converter boxes that can be controlled by the panny?

I'm just so bummed that at CES 2008, Panasonic did not roll out any new HDD DVR's and google yields a comment by the product manager to the effect of "you mean people want those?" At this point I'd give up the DVD burner for one that at least had a hard drive and 7 day EPG. Haven't found one yet, though the Echostar tr-50 may work when it finally comes out. Who really needs a combo VCR/DVD burner these days?

I did find a thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post13554641 where he says he got a Zenith DTT900 to work with a Panny eh55

Maybe an Echostar tr-40 will work with its vcr timer function....
post #12 of 33 Old 04-09-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yes that's the post I was thinking about, the Zenith box. That or the TR-40 seems to be the best options in your situation. Neither are perfect but at least it keeps the valuable Panny's working after the shutdown.
post #13 of 33 Old 04-09-2008, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Someone also said that they found an RCA satellite box code that worked the RCA CECB box. Also, someone posted that the Channel Master box can be controlled by a Pioneer cable box code (like I thought the Digital Stream maybe would, like their old ones could, but was wrong apparently).
post #14 of 33 Old 04-09-2008, 01:59 PM

Just last night I found 3 codes on my ReplayTV box that would control the RCA DTA800b CECB. The code #'s that the Replay referred to them were: 392 or 533 or 5392. I do not know what manufacturers that might map to, but it worked for me since I had direct code #'s to test.
post #15 of 33 Old 02-17-2009, 04:30 PM

I was wondering what a IR blaster is, I figured i would ask here rather then make a new thread among other reasons because this is a interesting thread. Maybe I will be able to understand a bit more of it if I know what a IR blaster is.
post #16 of 33 Old 02-17-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
IR Blaster, device that sits in front of the tuner to send IR remote codes so that the device recording can change channels on the tuner. In short it's a way for a DVR like a Tivo to change channels on an external tuner.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #17 of 33 Old 02-18-2009, 07:06 AM

So only useful if you have a DVR, or something like that, with a analog tuner? Could a VCR take advantage of something like that?
post #18 of 33 Old 02-18-2009, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Are there VCRs that know how to change channels on a set top box via an external IR connection? I'm not aware of any. It was tricky enough to get it to work with my IR-blaster equipped Panasonic DVR. My Zenith box uses the same codes as an LG satellite set top box, but channel changes weren't always reliable due to the way the DVR sent out the channel twice in a row sometimes, and the way subchannels are keyed on the Zenith.
post #19 of 33 Old 02-18-2009, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I posted the following in another thread a few days ago. I think Mike's 4 digit method works quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL28 View Post

The DMR-EH75V and the Zenith DTT901 CECB work fairly well together. I have mine setup as a DirecTV "LG" satellite controller on "IN3" port using full 4 digit channel numbers for all channels (Select 0028 and then 1028 during optioning of EH75). Then for low channels like 2.2 I enter it as 202 (unit sends 0202 to Zenith) and for higher channels like 44.2 I use 4402. Once I finally located most of my local DTV stations in "channel edit" I was good to go (Not all of my local DTV channels were listed). So far recording using scheduled TVGOS has worked like a champ! I've kept all of my analog channels on my antenna connection for now which made it easier to be sure I was getting the same guide information. Unit is able to switch between antenna connection and CECB for back to back recordings so far without a hitch. When I get a bit braver will try to see it TVGOS will download using the Zenith.

I just set up a Zenith DTT901 to be controlled by my Panasonic DMR-EH75V's IR Blaster. My intent is to continue to use the Panasonic DMR-EH75V for OTA recording even though it doesn't have a digital tuner.

I used the above instructions posted my MikeL28 and my manually scheduled recordings work perfectly. - No problem with back-to-back recording!

Since the Panasonic DMR-EH75V's IR Blaster will not turn on the Zenith DTT901, I do have to leave the Zenith DTT901 on all the time though.
post #20 of 33 Old 02-19-2009, 03:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Are there VCRs that know how to change channels on a set top box via an external IR connection? I'm not aware of any. It was tricky enough to get it to work with my IR-blaster equipped Panasonic DVR. My Zenith box uses the same codes as an LG satellite set top box, but channel changes weren't always reliable due to the way the DVR sent out the channel twice in a row sometimes, and the way subchannels are keyed on the Zenith.

Yeah, some of the better ones had IR blasters, or what were sometimes known as "cable eyes" or just had "with cable box control" printed on the VCR. Oftentimes, like with the JVC's, the blaster didn't come in the box and they gave you a form where you could send away for it (for free).

The CM would be your best bet to work with those, because it uses such an old, cable box code. I don't think any tuner that would require the use of four-digit numbers would work, though.
post #21 of 33 Old 02-21-2009, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Sony also had at least one (probably more) VCRs with a IR blaster. I saw one at my local pawn shop for $20. It didn't look like it included the IR blaster though, although they can be bought on the net for ~$20. This VCR also had TVGOS although one can only imagine what version it was........v.1.0 anyone
post #22 of 33 Old 02-21-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
The DTVPAL's / TR40s can be controlled by selecting Echostar DBS codes. At least - I can control one from my PC that way (Hauppage WINHVR1600 with IR blaster )

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #23 of 33 Old 02-21-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Sony also had at least one (probably more) VCRs with a IR blaster.

Definitely more than one. Panasonic, among others, too.

Also, Sony definitely wasn't the only one to have TVGOS. RCA's and others also had it. Don't know the version(s), but you're right that it had to be a pretty old one. God only knows what's in all those old TV sets, too.
post #24 of 33 Old 02-21-2009, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

My uncle has a old RCA(Thompson) tube TV that has the TVGOS and even a IR blaster. The PIP when you're in guide mode isn't a box on the top left side but rather a thin strip of the picture along the top of the screen. I suppose on cheap CRT sets like the RCA if it was a small box it would be so fuzzy you wouldn't be able to see it anyway It's definitely not a HDTV and only has the analog tuner.
He actually bought a Sony Z4100 LCD after seeing my W4100 w/digital TVGOS. Of course he wants to put the RCA in the basement with a converter box
post #25 of 33 Old 02-21-2009, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I see BB is offering people a few bucks off (like $10. or $20.) if they give them their old TV's when they buy a new one from them.

I wish I had the room to stock a bunch of these old, larger CRT's. I'd stand outside of BB and offer people 10 bucks more for them, and sell them myself for a decent profit later.

A lot of people are going to be unpleasantly surprised when they find that all that SD stuff they still watch looks like crud on their new flat panels. I'm sure many will gladly downgrade the HD a bit in order for all the SD to look good again.

I'm talking about people that aren't going to want to upgrade their source to something that costs more money, and that watch a lot more SD than they do HD and are perfectly satisfied with it otherwise.

They could easily still be making and selling them, but naturally they want to "force" the higher priced sets on people, with the hopes that they'll give in and upgrade their service.

There will be a huge aftermarket for these larger sets, I believe. I really should be going out garbage-picking regularly, looking for them, but you'd have to get up really, really early - actually, as soon as they put the stuff out the night before - if you want to beat the illegals to it. As soon as that stuff goes out, you can see them driving their trucks filled with junk all around the neighborhoods, stopping occasionally here and there and piling stuff in. (I hate that there is no way to do that kind of stuff anymore - these people have literally got a lock on every little money-making opportunity imaginable in the Chicago metro area now. Not that I'd normally want to garbage-pick, but this could be pretty lucrative. Hmmm. Maybe I should put an ad in the paper saying "Buying old TV's - will pick up". I'd need a truck, though. And help. With my back, maybe a gorilla would do. I'd only have to pay him bananas.)
post #26 of 33 Old 02-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I see BB is offering people a few bucks off (like $10. or $20.) if they give them their old TV's when they buy a new one from them.

I wish I had the room to stock a bunch of these old, larger CRT's. I'd stand outside of BB and offer people 10 bucks more for them, and sell them myself for a decent profit later.

A lot of people are going to be unpleasantly surprised when they find that all that SD stuff they still watch looks like crud on their new flat panels. I'm sure many will gladly downgrade the HD a bit in order for all the SD to look good again.

I'm talking about people that aren't going to want to upgrade their source to something that costs more money, and that watch a lot more SD than they do HD and are perfectly satisfied with it otherwise.

They could easily still be making and selling them, but naturally they want to "force" the higher priced sets on people, with the hopes that they'll give in and upgrade their service.

There will be a huge aftermarket for these larger sets, I believe. I really should be going out garbage-picking regularly, looking for them, but you'd have to get up really, really early - actually, as soon as they put the stuff out the night before - if you want to beat the illegals to it. As soon as that stuff goes out, you can see them driving their trucks filled with junk all around the neighborhoods, stopping occasionally here and there and piling stuff in. (I hate that there is no way to do that kind of stuff anymore - these people have literally got a lock on every little money-making opportunity imaginable in the Chicago metro area now. Not that I'd normally want to garbage-pick, but this could be pretty lucrative. Hmmm. Maybe I should put an ad in the paper saying "Buying old TV's - will pick up". I'd need a truck, though. And help. With my back, maybe a gorilla would do. I'd only have to pay him bananas.)

just make sure it isn't over 200 lbs and doesn't have a love interest.
post #27 of 33 Old 02-23-2009, 10:27 AM

I have two Panasonic DVR's, a DMR-E85H and a DMR-EH55S, but have been successful with only the DMR-E85H in setting it up to control a digital converter using the IR blaster. I bought the DMR-E85H in October 2004 and initially had it connected via an Onkyo A/V receiver/amplifier to a Panasonic analog TV. In March of 2006, I replaced the analog TV with a Panasonic plasma digital HDTV and discoverd that there were more digital channels available than were analog channels. This prompted me to purchase a digital Stream HD3150PLUS digital converter box which I connected to the "L1" input of the DMR-E85H DVR so that I could record the additional digital channels. At that time, all recording of the digital channels via the digital converter was initiated manually on the DVR with all "timer" programmed recording being done from the antenna input. In January of 2007, I purchased a second DVR, a Panasonic DMR-EH55S, which was integrated into the home entertainment system and, since there was no digital converter connected to it, was used to record only the OTA analog programs. When the "switch over" and conversion from analog to digital OTA broadcasts became imminent, I purchased an Insignia NS-DXA1-APT converter to connect to the DMR-EH55S. Now that the "shut down" of the OTA analog broadcasts has started, I began thinking about ways to have the two DVR's control the channel selection on the respective digital converters using the IR blasters connected to each of them. I started with the DMR-E85H by reconfiguring the TV Guide setup from "antenna" input to "cable box" input. When it came to the point in the process to "detect" the IR code for the Digital Stream digital converter, a series of discreet IR codes was displayed for testing in an interative process until one of them successfully communicated with the digital converter. In the case of my Digital Stream box, the code was "006". Although this solved the IR code problem, I still had to find a way to program the DVR timers and ended up with a somewhat awkward but "do-able" way for it. The problem involved having the digital converter set to the correct channel while at the same time having the DVR set to it's correct input, in this case input "L1". In order to do this, I had to set up two consecutive timers for each channel that I wanted to record from the digital converter. The first was to program a minimum length timer (1 minute) which would send out the IR blaster command for selecting the desired channel on the digital converter. Since this timer not only sends the channel number command to the digital converter, it also changes the input on the DVR to the same channel number as was sent to the digital converter. This then necessitates a second timer immediately following the first which will then set the DVR input to "L1" (or whichever input the digital receiver is connected to) and lasting for the duration of the program to be recorded. Since the digital converter does not recognize the "L1" IR blaster command, it's channel will not change as a result of the second timer. This "two timer" process must be repeated any time that subsequent programs "air" on a channel other than the one to which the digital converter is currently set and/or the DVR input is set to one other than the input to which the digital converter is connected. If the digital converter channel is already set to the desired channel then only one DVR timer needs to be programmed to set the date, "start/end" times and the input to which the digital converter is connected. Although this is an awkward way of doing this, it is the only way which I have found to reliably work. Since most of the timers which we set up are recorded on a daily or weekly basis, it usually only has to be done once. About the only continuing "downside" is that each time the "two timer" program executes, it creates a one minute recording/thumbnail preceding the desired recording and later has to be erased. The only alternative to this is to remember when each recording is to occur and manually ensure that the digital converter is set to the correct channel. This approach did not work for me because there are times when I am not present when the recording is about to occur or, in many cases, I just do not remember to manually change the channel on the digital converter.

The setup process is different on the DMR-EH55S in that, rather than presenting you with a list of discreet IR codes from which to try, it presents you with a list of many "set top box" manufacturers ordered alphabetically. Once a given manufacturer is selected, it then takes you through an iterative sequence of IR codes for the selected manufacturer until, presumably, you find one which will communicate with your "device". After many attempts over many hours, I was not successful in finding a manufacturer's code which would work with my Insignia NS-DXA1-APT digital converter box. Without a working" code, even the "awkward" programming process as described above for my DMR-E85H will not work. Choosing a digital converter whose IR code is compatible with any of those listed in the TV Guide setup of the DMR-EH55S would seem to be an impossible task. I don't understand why the manufacturers of most home entertainment electronics seem to be so "secretive" or protective and do not include the IR code(s) for each of their devices in the "user" documentation, either provided with the equipment, on-line or through their "customer support".
post #28 of 33 Old 02-23-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgeland View Post

Insignia NS-DXA1-APT converter to connect to the DMR-EH55S........

The Insignia NS-DXA1-APT is basically identical to the Zenith DTT900. I don't think it can be controlled as a cable box, but it can be controlled as a satellite receiver. See the quoted instructions in post #19 above for directions. Note that (at least with the Panny DMR-EH75V) the Insignia NS-DXA1-APT will need to be connected to Input 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgeland View Post

digital Stream HD3150PLUS digital converter box which I connected to the "L1" input of the DMR-E85....awkward ......two consecutive timers ..........

I don't have any experience with the DMR-E85 or the HD3150PLUS, but I'd have to think there's a better way.
post #29 of 33 Old 02-23-2009, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Your EH-55 works quite well with a CM-7000 as described by me in this post
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...330&highlight=
The two problems are you're not able to tune to single digit sub channels other than the main .1 channels, eg. 2.1 is ok but not 2.2, you're also not able to do back to back events on different channels. Other than those two problems it works very nicely. I believe others have got the Zenith CECB to work with there Panny DVDRs so don't give up yet. You might want to check the DVD Recorders forum for more info on CECBs and IR blasters.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ysprune=&f=106
post #30 of 33 Old 02-24-2009, 02:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Whew. I'm glad you guys can make heads or tails out of what he's talking about, because I sure as heck can't.

Talk about over-explaining something to death.

All I can say is that both recorders can control the Digital Stream using a Pioneer cable box code, and the EH55 can control the Insignia with (I believe) an LG DirecTV satellite tuner/DVR code.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page