Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 164 Old 06-09-2010, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z View Post

Probably because you do not realize that the "HD tuner" also has a 32-bit RISC processor and memory plus D-to-A convertors.

maybe they should sell the boxes without those two and we can buy a faster processor and add more memory to the box on our own!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 164 Old 06-09-2010, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2010 View Post

maybe they should sell the boxes without those two and we can buy a faster processor and add more memory to the box on our own!

That is wishful and uninformed thinking.

If you open up one of these tuners or look at photos of their interior, you would find no sockets for any of the components. Everything is soldered and surface mounted, meaning they are not user serviceable.

"Upgrading" would be a waste of time/money, since the embedded firmware is usually written for a specific hardware configuration. Changing any of the chips would probably render the box into a doorstop.

Besides, all the processor (actually SoC, or System on a Chip) and memory chips will be industrial/commercial components that are not sold by PC retailers. Heck we can't even find the datasheets for these SoCs on the web. You probably need to sign an NDA to get any info!

If you want to replace components/chips, then go build & use an HTPC.
post #153 of 164 Old 06-10-2010, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
blue_z, please lighten up the way you talk down to folks here.

post #154 of 164 Old 06-10-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry.
post #155 of 164 Old 06-11-2010, 01:23 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

blue_z, please lighten up the way you talk down to folks here.

????, blue_z made some vaild points, upgrading these *CECB boxes isn't going to happen.
*There might be some upgradeability, more hacking options of the boxes that are released to the Canadian market...

Quote:

That is wishful and uninformed thinking.

If you open up one of these tuners or look at photos of their interior, you would find no sockets for any of the components. Everything is soldered and surface mounted, meaning they are not user serviceable.

"Upgrading" would be a waste of time/money, since the embedded firmware is usually written for a specific hardware configuration. Changing any of the chips would probably render the box into a doorstop.

Besides, all the processor (actually SoC, or System on a Chip) and memory chips will be industrial/commercial components that are not sold by PC retailers. Heck we can't even find the datasheets for these SoCs on the web. You probably need to sign an NDA to get any info!

If you want to replace components/chips, then go build & use an HTPC.

post #156 of 164 Old 06-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone69 View Post

????, blue_z made some vaild points, upgrading these *CECB boxes isn't going to happen.
*There might be some upgradeability, more hacking options of the boxes that are released to the Canadian market...

when is that going to happen?
post #157 of 164 Old 06-12-2010, 12:49 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2010 View Post

when is that going to happen?

Google is your friend...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...ion_transition

# Canada: The main FTA broadcasters (CBC, CTV, and Global) have launched HD streams of their programming in limited markets such as Toronto and Vancouver. On Thursday, May 17, 2007, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC, Canada's broadcasting authority) ruled that television stations would be forced to switch to ATSC digital broadcasting by Wednesday, August 31, 2011, with minor exceptions in remote areas where analogue transmissions will not cause interference.[13]
As of May 2007[update] there were fewer than 20 digital television stations in Canada. Unlike in the other countries, Canada originally was allowing the market to determine when the analogue switch-off begins. As a result, while analogue and digital broadcasts currently co-exist, digital transmission penetration is still low, and the only way to receive Canadian digital TV in most areas is via cable or satellite TV. In Toronto it is possible to pick up DTV over the air; in Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec City a partial set of channels (most often CBC only) are offered – primarily as a vehicle for limited HDTV deployments. About one-half of Canadian homes have over-the-air access to high-powered US border stations, all of which offer ATSC DTV. New TV's and DVD recorders often include ATSC tuners but are not required to do so; retail-store availability of basic converters for existing NTSC TV's is limited.[14] (Wikinews)
Further information: Digital television transition in Canada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...tion_in_Canada
post #158 of 164 Old 06-12-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes he did and it was very interesting too but that wasn't what I was getting at (previous posts too).

Thank you blue_z for the apology.

post #159 of 164 Old 06-12-2010, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

About one-half of Canadian homes have over-the-air access to high-powered US border stations, all of which offer ATSC DTV.

Interesting. Sounds like they have no urgent rush to go digital as they can sniff off 'US.'

post #160 of 164 Old 06-12-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

...but that wasn't what I was getting at (previous posts too).

You're probably refering to post #149?
You responded to the "i don't get it why ..." as if it was a request for information.
I read that same "i don't get it why..." as an argumenative statement when combined with some previous posts. I essentially responded to the "i don't get it..." part, rather than the "...why..." part of that statement.

I just don't get why people have to preface questions with phrases like "i don't get it why ..." or "Am I right that ...".
http://www.at91.com/forum/viewtopic....,16451/#p16451

Regards
post #161 of 164 Old 06-13-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just don't get why people have to preface questions with phrases like "i don't get it why ..." or "Am I right that ...".

Ah, I see. Understood.

post #162 of 164 Old 07-17-2010, 12:19 AM

There's a couple of really big reasons why the cheap CECB's exist.

#1 The FCC said such inexpensive converter boxes had to exist so us proles could continue to get our prolefeed. Y'know, like "American Idle" and soap operas.

#2 Great heaping gobs of "government money". The $40 from each of those coupons gets split between the retailer and the manufacturer, plus there's money above the $40 for CECB's with a price higher than $40.

The transcripts of the meetings and the manufacturers' input while the CECB specs were being hashed out is interesting reading. IIRC the FCC wanted to make some more advanced features *optional* but Funai convinced them to specifically prohibit them. Fortunately some manufacturers insisted on being allowed the option of S-Video, though few chose to include it.

They even got as nit-picky as discussing whether or not batteries for the remote had to be included.

The bit about requiring auto power off/sleep and having it enabled being the default is in there, so is mandating the option to disable that "feature".

I'm from the BRS school of power control. On is ON and Off is effing OFF.

BRS = Big Red Switch, like the giant toggle on the IBM PC/XT power supply.
post #163 of 164 Old 07-17-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post

#1 The FCC said such inexpensive converter boxes had to exist so us proles could continue to get our prolefeed. Y'know, like "American Idle" and soap operas.

I'm sure our government didn't care anywhere near as much about us continuing to receive the programming as they did the commercial ads that went along with it.
post #164 of 164 Old 07-17-2010, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Many of us can't afford subscription TV. There's also the issue of public address/warning system.

I don't see how a mfger could get by on $20. Of course I'm assuming you meant an even split.

I think the sleep function was an energy efficiency mandate.

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page