"zir 2"

zir.txt 1.740234375k . file
post #123 of 274 Old 05-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bet that the MicroGEM remote would also let you control the Tivax.
You could then Freeze.

If satpro still has access to his friends MicroGEM he could test.
Looks like you would need a programmable remote to get access to everything.

I was also wondering if the volume on your Tivax is low.
My brother bought one and told me it was he is using composite cables.

Do you guys know what codes it is using?

Nightowl4 told me the Falcon Digital CECB are using the same codes as Toshiba TV so if you change volume with the Toshiba remote it changes it on the TV and the box.
post #124 of 274 Old 05-18-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The Tivax vol starts off mid-way. Most recommend maxing it out and use the TV's volume control.
post #125 of 274 Old 05-19-2008, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Tivax stb-t9 today. They were easy to setup. I am able to pick up all the ATSC channels my Olevia 32" HDTV gets which is 2 channels that my Hauppage Win-tv HVR1600 can't detect. Picture quality is good so far on all channels - surprising since our rooftop antenna is 1970's vintage and needs replacing And we are about 60 miles from the broadcast towers.
I'm glad you guys are here and let me know about the Tivax as previously I had read reviews that pointed to the Magnavox as the best CECB at least the most sensitive tuner. My Brother in law got his coupons first, so he picked up Magnavox units locally. When my coupons arrived, the local stores were sold out of the CECB's so I stated to look into other options online...

Read about the heat issues on some CECB's and a visit to my brother in law's confirmed the pretty much unvented and all plastic Magnavox was too hot to put your hand on. Anyways here are my reasons I went with Tivax:

1. Metal case with vents - nice substantial unit.

2. Understand heat producing processor chip has heat sink - others don't

3. Nice remote has buttons well arranged and easy to memorize - I have had my share of remotes where all buttons are identical and you are always turning on a light just to change channel, ect.

4. Like the fact you can change channels on box without remote.

5. Menu system is nicer than most and EPG seems to go about 6 hrs into the future but this seems to vary by station.

Very happy with Tivax so far.
post #126 of 274 Old 05-20-2008, 11:35 AM

Looking for a Smart Antenna that will work with The TIVAX STB-T9? I seem to not find Smart Antennas on the Web! Has anyone purchased this item and how well did it work?
post #127 of 274 Old 05-20-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisfarmer View Post

Received 2 Tivax stb-t9 today. They were easy to setup. I am able to pick up all the ATSC channels my Olevia 32" HDTV gets which is 2 channels that my Hauppage Win-tv HVR1600 can't detect. Picture quality is good so far on all channels - surprising since our rooftop antenna is 1970's vintage and needs replacing And we are about 60 miles from the broadcast towers.
I'm glad you guys are here and let me know about the Tivax as previously I had read reviews that pointed to the Magnavox as the best CECB at least the most sensitive tuner. My Brother in law got his coupons first, so he picked up Magnavox units locally. When my coupons arrived, the local stores were sold out of the CECB's so I stated to look into other options online...

Read about the heat issues on some CECB's and a visit to my brother in law's confirmed the pretty much unvented and all plastic Magnavox was too hot to put your hand on. Anyways here are my reasons I went with Tivax:

1. Metal case with vents - nice substantial unit.

2. Understand heat producing processor chip has heat sink - others don't

3. Nice remote has buttons well arranged and easy to memorize - I have had my share of remotes where all buttons are identical and you are always turning on a light just to change channel, ect.

4. Like the fact you can change channels on box without remote.

5. Menu system is nicer than most and EPG seems to go about 6 hrs into the future but this seems to vary by station.

Very happy with Tivax so far.

agreed with you on some points. Very solid box for the short time i have had it(3 days). I have had the epg extend ahead as far as 11 1/2 hours, but again like you stated it varies from channel to channel. Sensitivity in my case is very very good. ALthough it was latel last night(about 1130pm) i was pulling in cleveland ohio stations and I live south of toledo. Can even see ft wayne stations as well. Using a small yagi style ratshack antenna with a channel master spartan series amp. Overall very pleased with this TivaX. Now to get these stations to run one of their side channels with nothing but good classic comedy stuff like Bob Hope movies, Laurel and Hardy, 3 Stooges etc etc. A retro channel as a side channel would be excellent from the norm.
post #128 of 274 Old 05-20-2008, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmar View Post

Looking for a Smart Antenna that will work with The TIVAX STB-T9? I seem to not find Smart Antennas on the Web! Has anyone purchased this item and how well did it work?

Thus far, the DTA5000 is the only available Smart Antenna:
http://www.summitsource.com/dx-anten...00-p-6320.html

It is mostly unknown when other companies will release
their new Smart Antennas:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post13721144
post #129 of 274 Old 05-21-2008, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

For those of you still digging on the serial port stuff, I ordered my Tivax this morning. I should have it by Friday, and then we'll have two folks pushing them on the serial port.
post #130 of 274 Old 05-22-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post

It recognizes the command "set" just fine, I just can't seem to get the correct syntax. I've been using commands like "set SUPPORT_NEC_REMOTE 0". It always comes back with a syntax error.

I think "set" is not the command we're looking for to change those values.

Code:
ZMon>set SUPPORT_NEC_REMOTE 0
Syntax error: bad integer
ZMon>option SUPPORT_NEC_REMOTE 0
Invalid command. Try "help"
ZMon>override SUPPORT_NEC_REMOTE 0
Invalid command. Try "help"
ZMon>set 0 SUPPORT_NEC_REMOTE
Syntax error: bad integer

ZMon>set
 Try a index between 1 & 419 
ZMon>help set
to set current val at particular index type set  

What if it's expecting something like set SUPPORT_NEC_REMOTE 0001
like a 4-byte integer, or binary?
post #131 of 274 Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker74 View Post

What if it's expecting something like set SUPPORT_NEC_REMOTE 0001
like a 4-byte integer, or binary?

That is highly doubtful.

I would try set ... true/fale or TRUE/FALSE or T/F or something along those lines.
They could have also disabled entering anything, unless you enable maintance mode.

I should get one of these to play around with...
post #132 of 274 Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

the set modifies the values as seen with view. I don't think we have found a way to modify the options yet.
post #133 of 274 Old 05-22-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixer View Post

That is highly doubtful.

I would try set ... true/fale or TRUE/FALSE or T/F or something along those lines.
They could have also disabled entering anything, unless you enable maintance mode.

I should get one of these to play around with...

I suspect that it is running some sort of batch file and the names you see displayed are constants defined in the batch file. So you would need to be able to see the beginning of the batch file to see what the constant definitions are. Otherwise you would have to try random numbers and then see what happens, but this would not be a particularly easy, fast, or "safe" method. I wonder if there is a way to do a directory command and see what files are stored or to view these files?
post #134 of 274 Old 05-23-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecb_questions View Post

I suspect that it is running some sort of batch file and the names you see displayed are constants defined in the batch file. So you would need to be able to see the beginning of the batch file to see what the constant definitions are. Otherwise you would have to try random numbers and then see what happens, but this would not be a particularly easy, fast, or "safe" method. I wonder if there is a way to do a directory command and see what files are stored or to view these files?

I doubt that also.
If anything, it is just a big lookup table.
As for plugging in numbers, it wouldn't be that bad, get the default dump, try changing something, and get another dump, and see what has changed.

I still feel you must enter debug mode to do anything, but I don't think anyone knows how to do this yet.
post #135 of 274 Old 05-23-2008, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Didja try equal sign??? [set AAAA=b]
post #136 of 274 Old 05-23-2008, 02:25 PM

another guess try 1 for on or true
0 for off or false.

or maybe someone could hook with one of those zoran reference
kits :P
post #137 of 274 Old 05-26-2008, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnied View Post

another guess try 1 for on or true
0 for off or false.

or maybe someone could hook with one of those zoran reference
kits :P

I think rrrrrrobert had it right; I'd try SET 1 0. (I think that'll set the volume to zero.) If that's accepted then at least we know the syntax and we could use pixelation's file to figure out what numbers correspond to the "interesting" options.
post #138 of 274 Old 05-27-2008, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

What type of cable are you using to interface between the boxes? I was thinking of making one (I have all the spare parts), but I didn't know what I should use for the pinout.
post #139 of 274 Old 05-27-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aethyrmaster View Post

What type of cable are you using to interface between the boxes? I was thinking of making one (I have all the spare parts), but I didn't know what I should use for the pinout.

You would just need two female 9-pin sub-d connectors and a 3-wire cable. The pinout is:

2 --> 3
3 --> 2
5 --> 5
post #140 of 274 Old 05-27-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

a.k.a. null modem cable. They used to be widely available.
post #141 of 274 Old 05-27-2008, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I picked 2 parameters to play with.

Index 17, AspectRatio
Index 412, BlackBarDetect

The AspectRatio does not change until I flip the channel. But it does change.

BlackBarDetect does not do anything. Does anyone had any ideas what it does?

BTW, I think just the ability to send remote codes using serial link would open a lot of possibilities.
post #142 of 274 Old 05-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Does this one increase/decrease as you change the volume with the remote?
- You know run the command then increase volume and rerun the command -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMon>view 0 1 View Post

Index..Name....Default..Minimum..Maximum..User/System
1.......Volume.....32..........0............63..........User ......

I wonder if it is also sending the remote code x-times to increase/decrease the volume?

That or can you change the Minimum and Maximum volume?

Yes - I agree the ability to send remote codes using the serial link could open the possibility of using some scripting like AutoIt or VB to write a script to access the box and record a program on your computer Automated or you could use your computer to access the box becoming the event timer and program your VCR to record in sync like you would with the DTVPal.
post #143 of 274 Old 05-27-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing about the view output is that it does not seem to contain the "current" value. The Default value does not change.
post #144 of 274 Old 05-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

After all you said when you power cycle nothing gets saved so nothing is getting saved running these set commands to change the view command.

Were you able to control to volume however?
How about exceeding the maximum of 63?

So far it looks like unless a way is found out to save the set command to memory that it is only going to affect the converter until a power cycle.

It looks like for now this is good for sending send remote codes for now but that could change.

Thanks pixelation
post #145 of 274 Old 05-27-2008, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm glad everyone is having fun hacking the firmware via the RS-232 port, but back to basics for a bit...

Though this box is undoubtedly worth the 18 bucks PP I paid for it (after coupon), like almost every electronic item from China (where apparently engineering and attention to detail don't seem to be a priority), I've observed a number of flaws in the design:

1) The aforementioned zoom issue is a little more complicated than previously stated. If "zoom" is selected on an HD subchannel, it does the right thing. If "zoom" is selected on an SD subchannel, it either: a) has no effect at all if the SD mode is 528x480i or 640x480i (which is the desired effect and would be wonderful if not for b), or b) stretches the picture horizontally (off the screen at the ends) but not vertically (a purely nonsensical effect) if the SD mode is 704x480i; SD subchannels in 704x480i seem to far outnumber the others, but here in Philly there are some of both (for example 10.2, WCAU's weather channel, is unmodified by "zoom", as are all the WPPX/ION 61.*).

2) On my unit, at least, the NTSC video output leans toward the left at the upper right hand side. Normally, you wouldn't notice this on an SD channel, or on an HD channel showing widescreen content. But on an HD channel showing 4:3 content (or on telecasts with some vertical object or a vertical edge on the right side of the screen) the lean very obvious, as it is when displaying the menu; it's as if the upper NTSC scan lines are shorter and more compressed than the lower ones - some kind of analog distortion. No, it's not my set... I've tried it on several. May be a sample defect, or may be intrinsic to the design.

3) One OTA channel in the NJ/Philly area scans in with the wrong subchannel number (WMCN-DT, which PSIPs as 44.1 on any normal DTV, comes up as 44.3 on the Tivax, with no 44.1 or 44.2 at all.) Fortunately, this station shows automobile advertisements all day long, and is virtually worthless anyway.

4) After a power failure, the unit DOES remember what channel it was last tuned to. BUT, if it was in the "standby" state prior to the power failure, it comes up in "on" state after power is restored. That is, it can remember the last channel, but not whether it was on or off!

5) The "standby" and "mute" buttons on the remote are positionally reversed compared to virtually every other (i.e. Japanese) remote. Power is almost always the upper right button on a remote, and if colored, almost always (for whatever reason) green; on the Tivax green-top-right is mute. Bizarre.

6) The overscan in all aspect ratios is excessive, chopping off useful portions of program material, like the tops of heads and scrolling news at the bottom of 4:3 and zoomed 16:9 pictures- much more so than any typical NTSC tuner.

7) This unit's tolerance of varying multipath (i.e. trees blowing in the wind) is rather mediocre. I think a lot of folks who buy CECBs are going to be pulling their hair out because of this issue, which is by far the most significant problem with ATSC reception in the suburbs.

So like most Chinese stuff, decently manufactured but poorly engineered and/or tested. My $.02.
post #146 of 274 Old 05-28-2008, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I'm glad to hear someone talk about overscan. I personally detest it. It's one of the reasons I didn't like the Digital Stream box as well as my Tivax LX1000. They both cut off a fair part of the screen. I have my TV set for basically 0% overscan and don't like a tuner cutting off things. As far as overscan my Zenith CECB cuts off the least. Still a little bit but the best I've seen.
I setup the DS box for my inlaws who had a el cheapo Funia tube set which already had a ton of overscan. After hooking up the DS box they couldn't even see the station bugs, it was off the viewable part of the screen. I guess overscan of the converter boxes add to the overscan of your TV.
post #147 of 274 Old 05-29-2008, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

So my Tivax arrived today - Will begin testing probably tomorrow, maybe tonight.

Is there a way to manually tune to RF stations the way the DTX9900 does? I didn't find one.
post #148 of 274 Old 05-30-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aethyrmaster View Post

So my Tivax arrived today - Will begin testing probably tomorrow, maybe tonight.

Is there a way to manually tune to RF stations the way the DTX9900 does? I didn't find one.

How to tune the Tivax STB-T9 manually:

Find the "REAL" channel number from someplace like tvfool.com. NOT the virtual channel number.

Punch in the "REAL" channel number in the keypad on the remote.

That's all you have to do!

P.S. Let us know how the DTX9900 compares to the Tivax on RF sensitivity.
post #149 of 274 Old 05-30-2008, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

As for sensitivity, I think it's noticeably higher. There is a channel on RF 32 in my area, WQPX-64 (actual 64; RF 32). I can get 2-4 % on the DTX9900 when looking at it with my current antenna, but it's rare (bigger and higher would get it to me I'm sure).

The autoscan skips it on the DTX9900 because of how weak it is, but the auto on the Tivax sits on it and chews and chews for 10~15 seconds before giving up - it's trying like all get out to pull a good lock, but just can't do it to it's liking.
post #150 of 274 Old 05-30-2008, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by camteax View Post

How to tune the Tivax STB-T9 manually:

Find the "REAL" channel number from someplace like tvfool.com. NOT the virtual channel number.

Punch in the "REAL" channel number in the keypad on the remote.

That's all you have to do!

That's all you have to do now, but what happens if it's after 2009-02-17 and another channel, already scanned and known to your STB-T9, uses that same channel number as its virtual channel?  (There will be many cases like that after the transition.)  Your instructions will tune it to the virtual channel of the known station.

The three boxes I've hand my hands on all have a way to get to a given RF channel even if some other station is using it as its virtual channel.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page