Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 274 Old 06-24-2008, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by superc View Post

Tonight I removered the ZR39741 chip there are no external connections from pins 9 and 10 to enable S-Video from top or bottom of the circuit board.

Check the Apex vs Zenith thread. It appears it is a Tivax clone, but has SVideo. I wonder if you compare the two boards we can see exactly what needs to be added to enable SVideo out of the Tivax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 274 Old 06-24-2008, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aethyrmaster View Post

I finally got connected to mine! I think that after you use the SET command to change a value, you then have to use the WW command to "write registers" so that the change becomes effective.

Lots more testing to do, though!

Never thought of that. But I did tested with setting the Aspect Ratio and see that the ratio changed the next time I changed channel without WW. I think I should try testing the TVAspectRatio again.
post #213 of 274 Old 06-24-2008, 07:47 PM

tivax stb-t9 fcc id UVD20071228001
if you go to
fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=203598&fcc_id=%27UVD20071228001%27

you can get schematic,s, block diagrams etc.
Can't post a link yet. Need to do 3 posts first.
post #214 of 274 Old 06-24-2008, 07:48 PM

make that https://
post #215 of 274 Old 06-24-2008, 11:15 PM

post #216 of 274 Old 06-25-2008, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Additional information regarding my prior post #172 ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post14048813 ):

Having now seen the schematic (thanks peterhting!), which shows the Smart Antenna connector, I can suggest that my original instructions to use a 6-conductor RJ-12 modular cord are unnecessary. Instead of using pin 1 for ground (I had assumed it was the only ground and didn't bother to search further), you can use either pin 3 or 4 of the Tivax Smart Antenna connector as ground, and can therefore modify a standard 4-conductor RJ-11 modular cord by filing the tab in the same way, and at the relay end just use the wires from pins 2 and 3 (instead of 2 and 1). Note that a 4-conductor RJ-11 cord simply has no contacts nor wires attached for pins 1 and 6, but otherwise uses the same style connector as the 6-conductor RJ-12 (and cheaper and available in a wider range of lengths to boot.)

Note that I have not tested this - it is purely theory that assumes the schematic referenced in posts #213 and #214 above is accurate.

One additional improvement (7/1/2008): to protect the Tivax switched 12V supply from any reverse EMF that may be generated by the relay coil, I added a reverse biased silicon rectifier diode across the relay coil pins. The cathode (end with the line on it) goes to the wire from pin 2 of the Tivax Smart Antenna jack, while the anode goes to the ground wire from pin 1 (or 3 as per above). I used a 1N4007 diode which was handy but is definitely overkill - anything with a reverse breakdown voltage of 50 volts or more (e.g. 1N4001)would be adequate.
post #217 of 274 Old 06-29-2008, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Something I've noticed - the unit does NOT have to be powered on to access via serial port. Data is transferred full-time, as long as there is power to the device.
post #218 of 274 Old 07-01-2008, 12:37 PM

at www dot consumerreports dot org/cro/electronics-computers/televisions/digital-tv-converter/recommendations-and-notes/digital-tv-converter-boxes-recommendations-and-notes.htm

TIVAX STB-T9

Picture quality. This model is among the few we tested that are capable of picture quality that comes close to a good quality DVD. It had a minor flaw that only the fussiest might notice: If you're watching a downconverted HD wide-screen program letter-boxed to fit your squarish screen, images are stretched vertically to a slight extent.

Audio. It delivers good audio from its RF and line-level left/right audio outputs (which you'd use with the composite-video out).

Features. Program guide provides show descriptions for several hours of programming for the currently tuned channel. Allows you to directly tune to a new digital channel without having to "scan-for-all-channels." Additionally, if no signal is found on a particular channel, the on-screen signal meter allows you to monitor its strength as you optimize the antenna position. So, if you know a channel exists, you can tune to it and adjust your antenna until the signal is strong enough for the box to tune it in. Has adjustable font, size, color, and transparency of the closed caption text and its background in order to make it more or less visible. It has a Smart Antenna connection. It comes with A/V cables (composite-video and stereo audio) in addition to the usual RF cables.

Note: Similar in function to the Microgem, but with different styling.
post #219 of 274 Old 07-01-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Although I own the Tivax, I would say the the picture quality aren't that great. If it is better, it is only marginal and it cannot be compared with boxes with S-Video.

Its close captioning has also one of the worst video quality - almost unreadable on a 27" Sony Trinitron. Its zoom modes are brain dead. Neither 4:3 or 16:9 TV owners could live with a single zoom mode.

The only reason that I am getting the Tivax is because it is hackable, and cheap.
post #220 of 274 Old 07-09-2008, 06:48 PM

I want to use the Tivax STB-T9 with my TiVo Series 2 DT DVR. I was concerned about not being able to set the channel on the converter box from my TiVo. I just realized that this TiVo model has a serial output that can change channels on a Motorola/General Instrument DTC 2000 cable box with serial port.
I see that you guys have confirmed that channels on the STB-T9 can be switched via the serial input. Do any of you know if:
1. The Tivax will accept channel selections from the TiVo out of the box, or
2. Can the Tivax STB-T9 be programed to emulate the DTC 2000 with respect to changing channels?
I have digital signals coming from several different directions and want to use the Smart Antenna features of the STB-T9. It would be very sweet if I could have the TiVo set the STB-T9's channel and have it optimize the reception at the same time. If this would work, most TiVo Series 2 DT owners would be lining up to get their hands on an STB-T9.
post #221 of 274 Old 07-10-2008, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scPat View Post

I want to use the Tivax STB-T9 with my TiVo Series 2 DT DVR. I was concerned about not being able to set the channel on the converter box from my TiVo. I just realized that this TiVo model has a serial output that can change channels on a Motorola/General Instrument DTC 2000 cable box with serial port.
I see that you guys have confirmed that channels on the STB-T9 can be switched via the serial input. Do any of you know if:
1. The Tivax will accept channel selections from the TiVo out of the box, or
2. Can the Tivax STB-T9 be programed to emulate the DTC 2000 with respect to changing channels?
I have digital signals coming from several different directions and want to use the Smart Antenna features of the STB-T9. It would be very sweet if I could have the TiVo set the STB-T9's channel and have it optimize the reception at the same time. If this would work, most TiVo Series 2 DT owners would be lining up to get their hands on an STB-T9.

You would need to be able to send direct commands from the TiVo to the Tivax. If you could tell the Tivo to send:

zir 5
zir -
zir 1

it could tune the Tivax to 5-1 or whatever you put in. There are smart antenna commands as well, but I don't think any of us have a smart antenna yet to try it with.

If you need to be able to understand some specific output type from the TiVo, as of now it's a No-Go.
post #222 of 274 Old 07-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

When are you guys going to write instructions on the commands and how to use them?

I would provide examples like this one but also include the zmon> prompt as I know people will get confused saying their screen does not match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aethyrmaster View Post

zir 5
zir -
zir 1
Will tune the Tivax to 5-1 or whatever you put in.

post #223 of 274 Old 07-12-2008, 03:51 PM

Tivo will support the Tivax STB-T9 after a software update (late-summer)

http://www3.tivo.com/setupandsupport...italtrans.html
If you aren't ready to buy a digital-ready TV, and plan to purchase a digital converter box to work with your existing TiVo setup, please review the following for coupon-eligible Digital Converter Boxes:
Supported Models

* Insignia NS-DXA1
* Venturer STB7766G
* Magnavox TB100MW9
* RCA DTA 800A
* GE 22729
* Zenith DTT900
* Channel Master CM-7000
* Lasonic LTA-260
* Philco TB100HH9
* Samsonic FT300A
* Tivax STB-T9
* Artec T3Apro

Not Supported

* Digital Stream DTX9000

You can learn more about the $40 coupon program for digital converter boxes on the official U.S. government Web site.
Please note, a software update (available late-Summer) will be required in order to control the digital converter boxes. Affected customers will be notified by email when the release is available.
post #224 of 274 Old 07-14-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replay3030Owner View Post

Check the Apex vs Zenith thread. It appears it is a Tivax clone, but has SVideo. I wonder if you compare the two boards we can see exactly what needs to be added to enable SVideo out of the Tivax

Has this been verified? Has anyone found a way to enable S-Video on the Tivax box?

Also wish that Tivax had thought ahead enough to add pass-through to this box.

If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
~ Clint Eastwood
post #225 of 274 Old 07-23-2008, 04:00 PM

I finally got my units in and I have to say I'm not too impressed. Remote build quality is cheap, picture quality just ok, zoom modes barely acceptable, and tuner sensitivity average. I tested it against the RCA model available at Walmart and he RCA is superior. I think the RCA model is $59 but in my opinion it's a better choice. Of course, one of the newer models with analog pass through or better guide may be even better. I hope that serial port opens up a treasure trove because right now I am underwhelmed.
post #226 of 274 Old 07-28-2008, 05:39 AM

Ordered my Tivax STB-T9 on July 18, but have yet to hear anything about delivery other than a "Thank you for your order" email message. In their defense they do state:

"Due to high demand for DTV converters, it is taking up to 2 weeks to get converters to our customers. You will receive an e-mail with tracking information when your item is shipped. If you have any questions, please contact us by going to

www.consumerelecgroup.com and clicking the Contact Us page. We usually respond within 24 hours." Sent them a simple inquiry this morning regarding the status of my order, so we'll see how quickly they respond. This vendor had been recommended by an acquaintance as being pretty reliable, so it was worth a shot.

Am holding back on my second coupon for now. Still reading reviews and getting feedback on the other CECBs out there. What is amazing is how many new in-the-box CECBs (Insignia NS-DXA1, RCA DTA800B1, Philco TB100HH9, etc.) are available on eBay, and many of them are actually being delivered for less than $20.00 complete. Of course the $40 coupons do not apply to these. Just search eBay with the term "digital analog converter" and you'll see.

In any case, am looking forward to the arrival of my Tivax STB-T9, as the serial port and its smart antenna connector seem quite interesting.

~ Clint Eastwood
post #227 of 274 Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JargonTalk View Post

Sent them a simple inquiry this morning regarding the status of my order, so we'll see how quickly they respond. This vendor had been recommended by an acquaintance as being pretty reliable, so it was worth a shot.

The morning that the above was posted, received a reply from the vendor's sales rep stating that their server had crashed and my order had been lost. The sales rep also said: "But I did locate it this morning before you contacted us. So your order have been readmitted to our shipping department. You will see your order with in two weeks, if not earlier."

There was an apology about the delay.

And now it seems that I have a UPS notification that Michley Electronics in Mountain View, CA is making a shipment to me. Since I've ordered nothing directly from Michley Electronics (which is Tivax), can only assume at this point that this is my STB-T9 order.

Wouldn't one think that the dealer/vendor would communicate better, or am I asking too much?

~ Clint Eastwood
post #228 of 274 Old 08-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

I found my box to have menu that is hard to view.

Like the luminance is way overdriven, very bright and looses focus, so that it blooms.

It's like the Hotdog scheme for Windows 3 on steroids.

Only limited testing on fringe reception with less than good antennas. Compared to other boxes is less sensitive.
post #229 of 274 Old 08-18-2008, 07:47 PM

I just joined this forum. I ordered the Tivax T8 today. It has passthru built in which should obsolete the T9. I wonder how soon the T8 will obsoletize.
post #230 of 274 Old 08-19-2008, 07:21 AM

Where did you buy your T8? I have a couple of places listed on the STB-T8 thread.
post #231 of 274 Old 08-19-2008, 07:39 AM

I bought mine "Consumer Electronics Group". $53.95 + $5.80 shipping. It appears it will be 2 weeks before they can deliver.
post #232 of 274 Old 09-02-2008, 03:32 PM

I got my T9 there too for about 18 dollars after the $40 coupon.

I strongly recommend this box- it works perfectly for me with absolutely no fiddling with the antenna (a very basic, slightly broken set of rabbit ears from Radioshack).
The box automatically picked up quite a few extra channels compared to the analog setup, all crystal clear with good audio.

I don't really care much about the extra features and the EPG - it's pretty basic, and just a nice to have. The build quality is fine and the important functions far exceeded my expectations. I wish I had got it in time for the Olympics - I get terrible analog reception from the NBC channel in my area.

On the con side, the aspect ratio on some channels is rather strange - some HD channels end up centered w/ black borders all around - but at least they are actually watchable, with only a trace of macro blocks rather than a flood of analog snow. I agree that menu text and closed captions are a bit hard to read, but that is partly due to the low end 27" CRT I'm using.
post #233 of 274 Old 09-02-2008, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

The T9 has one of the worst closed caption display. The Zenith is a lot better.
post #234 of 274 Old 09-11-2008, 06:01 PM

"On the con side, the aspect ratio on some channels is rather strange - some HD channels end up centered w/ black borders all around"

Some of my local HD channel does that, on a HDTV. Somehow they actually broadcast 16:9 program in SD format on a HD sub channel. This make viewable area even smaller. Most HDTV can not scale further up since it already in "HD". I will guess this is the HDTV/DTV in transition so the DTV viewer can also see the picture in whole without do down scaling.
post #235 of 274 Old 10-03-2008, 11:14 PM

I can't get my Tivax STB-T8 to work at all and I hope someone can help me. After I made all the connections, when I turn the TV and T8 on, all I get is snow on the TV. It doesn't change when I press the Standy button on the remote. The logo never shows on the TV when I first turn the T8 on and when I press Menu on the remote the menu never comes up. I never get anything but snow. I had ordered 2 units at the same time, and tried them both with this TV, and all I can get is snow. It seems unlikely that they're both defective. I'm trying to hook the T8 up with a 1994 model 27" Sony Triniton.

Here's what I've done. I set my TV to channel 4 and have the T8 set to channel 4. I have brand new batteries in the T8 and they are inserted correctly. The remote will switch the T8 from standby to on (red light to green light), so I think it's working okay. I removed the plastic protective strip on the front of the T8. I unconnected the antenna cable from the TV and attached it to the RF-In port on the T8. I took the red, yellow, and white A/V cables and connected them from the same colored ports on TV In-Video 1 to the Video-Out and Audio-Out same-colored ports on the T8. I also tried using the Video 2 in-ports on the TV. And of course the TV and T8 are plugged in and turned on.

I live in a deep fringe reception area. The PBS and NBC station do come in strongly, others more marginal. I have an UHF/VHF/FM antenna on the roof with cable from it running down to the ceiling of the basement. I don't know if it's at the rooftop or in the basement, but the cable is connected to a preamplifier. In the basement is a splitter, where the signal is divided into a feed for the bedroom TV and a feed for the living room TV. The feed for the LR TV comes up through the wall to a connecting plate behind the TV.

The TV setup was working well before I tried to switch to the digital converter box, but our PBS station switches to digital only in 4 days, and that's what we mostly watch. So I can't wait until Feb to figure this out.

So to be long-winded, but I'm trying to preempt questions.

Can anyone tell me why I can't get to the menu of my T8?
post #236 of 274 Old 10-04-2008, 01:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Since you have the RCA cables going into the TV's "Video 1" input, you have to change the TV to "Video 1" to watch the picture - you can't watch it on channel 4.

There should be a button on the TV's remote control labled "Input". Just keep pressing it until you get to "Video 1".
post #237 of 274 Old 10-04-2008, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
^^or use a coax cable from the out of the box to the ANT in of the TV, if you want to watch it on ch 4.
post #238 of 274 Old 10-04-2008, 11:15 AM

Thanks Rammitinski and biker 19. I found Video 1 by pushing on the TV/Video button on front of the TV and also by using the remote control. I got to the menu and the scan found one digital channel - ABC. It has a wonderful picture even though the signal level bounces between 0 and 15, and TvFool shows a Rx(dBm) of -132.4 for that channel for my location.

I picked the STB-T8 because many of my TV signals come from translators and I need analog pass-through. The box for the STB-T8 says it has analog pass-through. However, I can't get any analog channels with the TV set hooked up to the STB-8. The manual makes no reference to analog pass-through.

Can anyone tell me what to do to get analog channels with the STB-T8?
post #239 of 274 Old 10-04-2008, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Can anyone tell me what to do to get analog channels with the STB-T8?

From what Ive read on this thread, its just like on my Zenith, you turn the STB-T8 off. Then use your regular TV remote to go up and down the channels.
post #240 of 274 Old 10-04-2008, 09:34 PM

Still no analog. I tried what 300ohm suggested. Leaving the A/V cables connected to TV and STB-T8, I put the STB-T8 on standby and tried changing channels on the TV. Nothing but snow. I unplugged the STB-T8 and tried changing channels on the TV. Nothing but snow. The only way I can get analog channels is to disconnect the RF coax cable from the RF-out on the box and connect it to the TV set, and then work through the channels.

There may just be something stupid I'm doing or not doing, but I sure can't figure out what I need to do to get analog stations with the coax cable connected to the STB-T8.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page