Tivax STB-T9 EPG - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 274 Old 10-05-2008, 12:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You have to attach a coax cable from the box's RF out to the TV's RF (antenna) in first.

The analog signals from the antenna can't be "passed through" to the TV's tuner through the RCA composite cables.

Once you do that, then you can also watch the Tivax through channel 4 if you want, but the picture quality through the "Video 1" line input still should be somewhat better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 274 Old 10-05-2008, 12:33 PM

Liked: 10
Ah, thank you so much Rammitinski. I added a coax cable from the box's RF out to the TV's RF in, just as you said, and I now get analog just fine. I'm glad 300ohm had already given me directions about putting the box on standby and then surfing the TV channels. That saved me from more brain stress. Thank you, thank you, both of you.

Next step is figuring out if the VCR still works.
post #243 of 274 Old 10-05-2008, 02:04 PM

Anyone figured out the code for the STB-T8 remote? I would love to add this to my universal. I managed to teach it everything but the Power button. It doesn't want to learn that for some reason.

Bob

post #244 of 274 Old 10-19-2008, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I let the guy at Solid Signal talk me into the STB8 instead of the 9. Can anyone tell the difference between the two? Also, just to be clear, neither the STB8 or 9 will output a 720 or 1080 HD signal right? It says on the box 480i output.

I have a SamsungDLP and the colors look really saturated through the STB8.
post #245 of 274 Old 10-19-2008, 06:48 PM

The STB8 has analog pass-through and costs about $6 or so more than the STB9. The STB9 doesn't have analog pass-through.

My original post, stating the opposite, was incorrect, as aethyrmaster pointed out. Ouch, that's what I get for not getting up and finding my box to verify the facts. Thanks for the correction.
post #246 of 274 Old 10-20-2008, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Not true; the STB-T9 is the box WITHOUT pass-through.

At least my T9 doesn't.
post #247 of 274 Old 10-21-2008, 12:53 AM

If anybody is interested, and has a Micro Center computer store in their area, they carry one of the Tivax models as of this week for $55. I didn't look closely at it so I can't say which version.
post #248 of 274 Old 11-09-2008, 07:42 PM

Anyone tried the serial port on the t8? I've been reading this thread (I think I read all of it) for a week now and I just got my t8 from microcenter yesterday. It took me a day to find my null modem cable but I'm hooked up and with minicom I get lot's of "Sleep Remain" countdown messages, but I don't get the zmon prompt or any response from commands like help. I suppose it's possible my cable has a bad pin, but I thought I should ask if anyone has tried the serial port on a t8.
post #249 of 274 Old 11-30-2008, 01:31 PM

For archive purposes: Turns out I just had to turn off all flow control (no hardware, no software) and the st8 works just fine.
post #250 of 274 Old 12-26-2008, 07:37 AM

Argh.. This is a very long thread. I read ALMOST every posts. So now the question is, should I buy? I'm buying it for my parents. They aren't very tech savvy. They can operate a VCR after a few days of training. I just want to know if it's easy for them to operate. Someone tell me please.

Meritline has it for $11.99 shipped. Is this the cheapest? I found a couple reviews that rated the STB-T9 highly. Don't know if they are trustworthy.

dtvconverterboxes.blogspot.com/2008/07/reviews-ratings-and-comparisons-of.html

dtvconverterguide.com/reviews/tivax-stb-t9
post #251 of 274 Old 12-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edng View Post

Argh.. This is a very long thread. I read ALMOST every posts. So now the question is, should I buy? I'm buying it for my parents. They aren't very tech savvy. They can operate a VCR after a few days of training. I just want to know if it's easy for them to operate. Someone tell me please.

Meritline has it for $11.99 shipped. Is this the cheapest? I found a couple reviews that rated the STB-T9 highly. Don't know if they are trustworthy.

dtvconverterboxes.blogspot.com/2008/07/reviews-ratings-and-comparisons-of.html

dtvconverterguide.com/reviews/tivax-stb-t9

I wouldn't recommend your sole buying criteria be price alone, unless it has to be. Many boxes can be purchased from $10 to $20 locally with coupon and can be mail ordered for $20 to $30.

If they have strong signals for all stations and no multipath (reflections) then lots of boxes may work. If they have weak or reflected signals then some are better than others.

If they want to do unattended VCR recording (set one or multiple shows to record when not watching) then you have few choices of boxes, Zinwell (zat-950, zat-950a, zat-970, zat-970a), Dish Network (dtvpal, dtvpal plus), Echostar (tr-40 cra). The Dish Network and Echostar models are for most respects identical to each other. You can find discussions on each of those boxes in this forum.

You need to supply more criteria to get a recommendation. For just sit and watch tv with a strong quality signal the stb-t9 will work fine. Other factors may make other boxes a better choice.
post #252 of 274 Old 12-26-2008, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There are many CECB's on the market and some can be had for "FREE." Take a look at this thread for what users of this forum think should be the "BEST" CECB.

Bottom line though, is that it all depends upon your needs and location. Not all CECB's do everything, so you'll have to compromise on something.
post #253 of 274 Old 12-26-2008, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.

They have very good analog reception in their area currently. I checked AntennaWeb, digital reception should be excellent. They live in a high rise apartment by the way.

Sorry I didn't stated my criteria clearly. Basically, I am looking for a cheap box that's easy to operate. No bells and whistles needed. It just need to be extremely simple to use. Programming guide is not necessary and analog pass-through is definitely optional. Smart antenna will be a nice to have (they are used to adjusting antenna manually already).

I am thinking about getting the STB-T9 because of all the good reviews and there are a lot of people talk about it on the net. I figure if I encounter any issue, I can find answer easily over the web.
post #254 of 274 Old 12-26-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just an FYI, this forum discusses every CECB that has come along and there is already lots of information here. In my opinion, what ever issue or question you have about the CECB's will be answered here better than anywhere else.
post #255 of 274 Old 12-26-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edng View Post

Basically, I am looking for a cheap box that's easy to operate. No bells and whistles needed. It just need to be extremely simple to use. Programming guide is not necessary and analog pass-through is definitely optional.

Zenith DTT-901 from Kmart.
post #256 of 274 Old 12-27-2008, 11:53 AM

Liked: 12
I agree that the Zenith from Kmart or Circuit City or the identical Insignia model from Best Buy is an excellent choice.
post #257 of 274 Old 12-27-2008, 11:58 AM

I just mentioned Kmart because it's $10.00 cheaper there.
post #258 of 274 Old 01-01-2009, 10:51 AM

The Tivax STB-T8 Digital to Analog TV Converter Box is $9.99 total (Free Shipping) with the coupon at Amazon.com. Deliver is two to three weeks though.
post #259 of 274 Old 01-07-2009, 10:07 AM

I've used an analog TV with a Guide+ on screen EPG for years, and having just unpacked my STB-8 and used the EPG, I think the Tivax program guide sucks.

Am I missing something? As far as I can tell you have to tune to the channel first, then hit "Guide" and then you can see the current and upcoming shows, but only for the one channel. To see other channels: first tune to channel, hit "Guide", etc.

This is a far cry from a proper EPG where you can see a grid of all available channels and scroll around to see what is going on.

Hopefully I've missed something and there is a better way of doing things. Please let me know.

Otherwise, I agree that the picture quality is excellent.

I also just got a DTVPal Plus. Its picture quality is not even as good as my best analog channels, but is much better that my worst ones. The DTVPal has an excellent EPG, and evidently can pass through TVGOS to my TV. The feature set is truly astounding.

Pity one cannot get a combination of the great picture quality and the excellent feature set in one box.

Red
post #260 of 274 Old 01-14-2009, 08:16 AM

Looks like this is a great unit. One question. I have a Sony 20" will I notice a difference of using the composite video since the converter does not have a S-video. My TV does have a S-video.
post #261 of 274 Old 01-14-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooinek View Post

The DTVPal has an excellent EPG, and evidently can pass through TVGOS to my TV.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work (at least yet. Hopefully sometime in the near future, when they *supposedly* start broadcasting the proper data stream that they say the Pal needs).
post #262 of 274 Old 01-15-2009, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKS1800 View Post

Looks like this is a great unit. One question. I have a Sony 20" will I notice a difference of using the composite video since the converter does not have a S-video. My TV does have a S-video.

I know some people will disagree with me, but my experience is a 25 inch or less should look find with composite or the RF out. I remember one member noting that he like the RF out better because the dot crawl problem wasn't present then. Dot crawl is inherent to composite signals. As far as resolution on a screen that small, I think you would have to be within a foot of your screen to really tell the difference. At normal viewing distance it shouldn't make a difference. I would recommend trying the RF out as well and see which you think is better.
post #263 of 274 Old 01-16-2009, 11:28 AM

Overall the Tivax STB-T9 performs well. Good picture quality, good sound, easy setup, ability to scan for additional stations, well constructed, doesn't get hot... all positive points. The major deficiencies I see are the lack of automatic aspect ratio and the inability to change the color scheme of the menu and program info. The blue text on a black background is NOT an eye friendly choice.
post #264 of 274 Old 01-27-2009, 01:50 PM

Some additional Menus: (Accessible via remote when "Mute" is enabled)

Key_Sequence Screen_Output
9878 FE Information
9877 Hardware Version
9876 Factory Set Menu
post #265 of 274 Old 02-21-2009, 05:01 AM

I just got my boxen in today. I've finished building my antenna from some copper wire screwed on to a 2x4. Next step, get MythTV to control the boxen via the serial port.

Has anyone tried this yet?
post #266 of 274 Old 02-21-2009, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think they've tried that, but the commands to change the channel are available, as long as you can get MythTV to send them in the proper format. Dig back through this thread and the "Hacking the CECB's" thread - it's in one of those two.
post #267 of 274 Old 02-27-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekwyzrd View Post

Overall the Tivax STB-T9 performs well. Good picture quality, good sound, easy setup, ability to scan for additional stations, well constructed, doesn't get hot... all positive points. The major deficiencies I see are the lack of automatic aspect ratio and the inability to change the color scheme of the menu and program info. The blue text on a black background is NOT an eye friendly choice.

I found a couple of major annoyances with this converter box. First, my local PBS station is transmitting four video signals and one audio only. I don't want the audio only so I set it to "not viewable". Unfortunately after a day or two the setting reverts to "viewable" and I have to go into the manual channel setup again. I wish I could delete the channel from the list and be done with it.

Second is the menu colors. It's stupid that the closed caption font and color can be changed but the menu colors can't. The blue text on black background is NOT eye friendly.
post #268 of 274 Old 03-03-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 895internet View Post

Some additional Menus: (Accessible via remote when "Mute" is enabled)

Key_Sequence Screen_Output
9878 FE Information
9877 Hardware Version
9876 Factory Set Menu

factory reset will fix when you "set" the wrong variable and get a looping error. handy for the extended channel search option: ie. set 35 1 (0 is default for channels 1-69, 1-4 for different forms of channel search 1-135 with digital subchannels (hrc/irc/catv/qam) you will get a looping error on the rs232 port after but onscreen channel search will work. factory reset fixes this and anything else that gets saved via the onscreen menu save or CtrlArrayManualSave from rs232. fe info shows what demodulation it is set for.
post #269 of 274 Old 07-19-2009, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Ok - read about all 9 pages. Have a coupon about to expire and figure I might as well use it. Went to K-Mart today hoping to find the Zenith but they were OOS on all converters. Seems like lately most places are out of stock. Channel Master tough to find.

Should I go with the TIvex. And only a $1 more for the T8 with Pass-Thru but isn't Pass-Thru useless since all stations broadcast digital???

Any chance the serial port can be used as tv-out from box to pc?
post #270 of 274 Old 07-20-2009, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post

Should I go with the TIvex. And only a $1 more for the T8 with Pass-Thru but isn't Pass-Thru useless since all stations broadcast digital???

Any chance the serial port can be used as tv-out from box to pc?

I would get the STB-T8 myself, even if you don't use the feature it is nice to have just in case.

The serial port can't send picture data, also I haven't found a way to turn on the unit over the serial port either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page