Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

1 - yes - directly tune the RF channel number, then add in the menues
2 - no
3 - I find it acceptable, even though all it has is a composite
4 - as good as anything else out there.

Magnavox CECB reviewers complained about the box getting hot due to inadequate ventilation. Is the Philco better ventilated than the Magnavox? Does it get hot when used for a few hours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 95 Old 04-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2108 View Post

I found only this pic
http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=65824

That picture is not for any CECB and definitely not the Philco.

This units user interface is the same as the Magnavox TB100MW9
Look here for all the attached pictures

Also the User Manual has been posted and also has pictures
http://www.funai-corp.com/6pdf/om/TB100HH9.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #33 of 95 Old 04-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

oh ok I stand corrected thanks
post #34 of 95 Old 04-16-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Ok so once this is set you do nto have to keep going back everytime you turn off the box?

Once set - it stays.

Quote:

Also can you link me to where I can see pictures of this box in action

I found only this pic

http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=65824

You had no problem with the box crashing? like the zenith

Box has never crashed - and I leave it on ALL the time (except when moving to another TV for "testing" ). I even left it on once for over 48 hours straight with the Digital Closed Captions on - no crashes.

I have never done pictures of it.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #35 of 95 Old 04-16-2008, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

Magnavox CECB reviewers complained about the box getting hot due to inadequate ventilation. Is the Philco better ventilated than the Magnavox? Does it get hot when used for a few hours?

A little warm - but not hot enough to affect anything. UNIT HAS NEVER CRASHED - even with Digital Closed Captions turned on for 48 hours straight.

post #36 of 95 Old 04-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like this is the box for me I will still wait since my coupons expire end of MAY. I would like to see if the RCA800B1 comes in. It will have passthru and it will have the bog remote

Which leads me to another question. Can you use a universal remote? any brand or do i need a certain one?

again thanks guys for the help

Scooper do you agree the interface is the same as the mangavox? as posted above? If so it is acceptable
post #37 of 95 Old 04-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

lexus2108
The MICROPROSE MPI-500 is expecting to go live around May 15th
and will also have Analog PassThru and there will probably be others before your coupons expire in the end of MAY.

|
|

post #38 of 95 Old 04-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

lexus2108
The MICROPROSE MPI-500 is expecting to go live around May 15th
and will also have Analog PassThru and there will probably be others before your coupons expire in the end of MAY.

that is very close to my expiration date.

Do you know how the passthru will work? Thru menu settings like philco or just in box off position? I emailed microprose and no reply. How did you find out it was may 15th nothing on their website?
post #39 of 95 Old 04-17-2008, 04:05 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Which leads me to another question. Can you use a universal remote? any brand or do i need a certain one?

I used an All For One remote #8910 to learn buttons from the Philco remote. I would guess any learning remote would work.
post #40 of 95 Old 04-17-2008, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How did you find out it was may 15th nothing on their website?

I emailed contact.microprose @ microproseonline.com with the subject Microprose Contact Form

Curt Vendel replied with the email curt.vendel @ microproseonline.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Vendel View Post

We are testing our gateway software to connect into the coupon processing system, we are expecting to go live around May 15th. Sorry for the delay. We have decided to sell direct online.

|
|

post #41 of 95 Old 04-17-2008, 07:25 AM

I found it on ABC Warehouse's website for $48, but only available in-store. I went to my local store yesterday and they told me it is OOS but expecting a large shipment by the end of the month. Sears will also receive a shipment of Sylvania branded same OEM by the end of the month and they sell it for $49.99. ABC Warehouse accepts CECB coupons but I am not sure about Sears.
Link to ABC Warehouse product page.
post #42 of 95 Old 04-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

I emailed contact.microprose @ microproseonline.com with the subject Microprose Contact Form

Curt Vendel replied with the email curt.vendel @ microproseonline.com

TY I will try to send it there
post #43 of 95 Old 04-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

I will have to remember to add ABC Warehouse and Sears to my list.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post13657383
Also I have listed several other places and prices of the Philco there.

|
|

post #44 of 95 Old 04-18-2008, 06:05 AM

Meijer in the mid-west also carries Philco, and it is also authorized to accept the coupon. Both Meijer and ABC Warehouse are on the local vendor list attached with the coupons while Sears is not. I could not find the converter at my local Meijer, but I've read someone bought one there for ~$49 before coupon.
post #45 of 95 Old 04-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcsho View Post

Meijer in the mid-west also carries Philco, and it is also authorized to accept the coupon. Both Meijer and ABC Warehouse are on the local vendor list attached with the coupons while Sears is not. I could not find the converter at my local Meijer, but I've read someone bought one there for ~$49 before coupon.

ya its not online at these places
post #46 of 95 Old 04-18-2008, 07:56 AM

Since you cannot get the coupon value refunded, the best way to get a converter is to get one from local store to try out first. If it works great, then do a return and re-purchase with the coupon. If it does not meet your expectation, you just return it and look for another one. I found it cheaper to get one in local store particularly when shipping cost is considered. In addition, I am just impatient and cannot even wait for the better models to come out, not to mention the shipping time.
post #47 of 95 Old 04-18-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I, however, am deciding to be "choosey" on my selections of CECBs. I'm pretty pleased with the Philco and would get another one, except my PC's TV card's IR blaster can't control it.

post #48 of 95 Old 04-18-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcsho View Post

Since you cannot get the coupon value refunded, the best way to get a converter is to get one from local store to try out first. If it works great, then do a return and re-purchase with the coupon. If it does not meet your expectation, you just return it and look for another one. I found it cheaper to get one in local store particularly when shipping cost is considered. In addition, I am just impatient and cannot even wait for the better models to come out, not to mention the shipping time.

What if the store has crappy return policies? I wouldn't risk it personally. I mean sure you could test one out, but isn't that what these forums are for? to get a good idea of the product and how other people like it without having to waste time and possibly money?
post #49 of 95 Old 04-18-2008, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks like this is the box for me I will still wait since my coupons expire end of MAY. I would like to see if the RCA800B1 comes in. It will have passthru and it will have the bog remote

again thanks guys for the help

Scooper do you agree the interface is the same as the mangavox? as posted above? If so it is acceptable

The photos match the menues on the Philco as well.

post #50 of 95 Old 04-18-2008, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.G_Plisken View Post

What if the store has crappy return policies? I wouldn't risk it personally.

You find out their return policy before buying and go elsewhere if it's too strict.
Quote:

I mean sure you could test one out, but isn't that what these forums are for? to get a good idea of the product and how other people like it without having to waste time and possibly money?

These fora can tell you a lot, but not whether the unit in your box will be functioning or defective, nor whether you'll like it in actual use.

Not to go into detail, because neither is the Philco TB100HH9 and this thread is about that model, but of the two boxes in my possession now, I just like one much better for reasons that are not based on their features or performance, just on my own gut feelings about them.  That's something I couldn't have learned by reading posts here, only by using the two of them.
post #51 of 95 Old 04-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

You find out their return policy before buying and go elsewhere if it's too strict.These fora can tell you a lot, but not whether the unit in your box will be functioning or defective, nor whether you'll like it in actual use.

Not to go into detail, because neither is the Philco TB100HH9 and this thread is about that model, but of the two boxes in my possession now, I just like one much better for reasons that are not based on their features or performance, just on my own gut feelings about them. That's something I couldn't have learned by reading posts here, only by using the two of them.

What two boxes you have and which one is better
post #52 of 95 Old 04-18-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sylvania TB100MG9 at Sears, priced at $49.99, appears to be very, very similar to the Philco:

Quote:

This digital-to-analog converter from Magnavox receives digital over-the-air signals and converts them to function on your analog TV. It features an on-screen TV Channel Guide to help you find what you want to watch, as well as an Analog Pass-Through that allows you to continue watching low-power analog TV stations. Includes remote control.

Trilingual On-Screen Display (English, French, Spanish)
NTIA Coupon Eligible - The U.S. Government is providing $40 rebate coupons available to offset the cost of these boxes at the time of purchase. For details, go to www.dtv2009.gov

post #53 of 95 Old 04-21-2008, 03:57 PM

To one and all

I just got a message from Amazon. They are now selling the Philco TB100HH9
D/A Converter for $64.99. I suggest that you wait to see if the price comes down!!!!!!!!!!

by
post #54 of 95 Old 04-21-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.G_Plisken View Post

What if the store has crappy return policies? I wouldn't risk it personally. I mean sure you could test one out, but isn't that what these forums are for? to get a good idea of the product and how other people like it without having to waste time and possibly money?

I would not even shop at a store that has less than 2 weeks return period or charge a re-stocking fee. Unlike the online vendors for CECB, most of the local stores that are authorized to take the coupons are reputable chains.
This forum gives you some idea how a particular model performs, but different people may have different preferences. So far there is not a perfect CECB, it is really up to personal experience and preferences (S-video, better reception, pass through, or better EPG, etc). If you use the coupon to purchase a CECB and it turns out you don't like it, you've for sure wasted both time and money (at least the $40 coupon as it is not refundable). Of course, you are not going to try all CECB available locally but go for the one that is more likely a better choice first.

post #55 of 95 Old 04-23-2008, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by onan38 View Post

Found the philco here (URL deleted from quote as I'm apparently too new to post URLs) $54.34 with out shipping. To use the $40 coupon purchase must be made by phone.

I'd avoid etronics.com. I've had terrible trouble with them.

After seeing your message I called them April 7 (you have to call to use your coupon) and ordered a Philco. They told me they had sold the last one they had in stock "that morning" but they expected to get new boxes in a few days, so I said OK. On April 11 they emailed me saying my box had been shipped but gave me no tracking number. It's now the 23rd and I still don't have my order. Needless to say they charged my credit card back on the 9th.

I've emailed them back a couple of times and now they're telling me they are out of stock again, which I guess is an implicit admission that they never shipped my order in the first place. I'm going to give them another week then report them to the FTC.
post #56 of 95 Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

I'd avoid etronics.com. I've had terrible trouble with them.

After seeing your message I called them April 7 (you have to call to use your coupon) and ordered a Philco. They told me they had sold the last one they had in stock "that morning" but they expected to get new boxes in a few days, so I said OK. On April 11 they emailed me saying my box had been shipped but gave me no tracking number. It's now the 23rd and I still don't have my order. Needless to say they charged my credit card back on the 9th.

I've emailed them back a couple of times and now they're telling me they are out of stock again, which I guess is an implicit admission that they never shipped my order in the first place. I'm going to give them another week then report them to the FTC.

Looks like I need to take a lot of that back. No, I still don't have my Philco, but on a lark I Googled TB100HH9 and etronics.com was rated very highly. Puzzled, I started clicking on other vendors selling the Philco - and every one was out of stock! (Except gainsaver.com, which doesn't take the NTIA coupons.) So it looks like the problem is mostly with the manufacturer rather than etronics.com.

I'm still not satisfied with etronics.com. Their call center employee was poorly trained and had a ton of trouble getting my order right, and they weren't straight with me about the problems they're having with their supplier. And because it was a phone order, I can't even see my order status on their Web site. But it looks like I'd have run into the same delays buying the Philco over the Internet no matter which vendor I'd chosen.

Incidentally, etronics.com has raised the Philco's price a few $$. Still under $60, not that it matters since nobody has them.
post #57 of 95 Old 05-07-2008, 11:48 PM

I just picked up a Philco at Fred Meyers in the Portland
area of Oregon (Beaverton Town Center Fred Meyers).
Price - $49.95 (9.95 after coupon). They expected to get
the Sylvania, but had the Philco instead.

It has analog-pass through. This is fairly easy to use. Just
choose RF Out in the channel menu, then choose RF through.
You are immediately switched to the TV receiver. Note -- you
leave the converter box on while doing this. To return to the
converter box, just hold the setup button for 3 seconds.

Reception is generally good on the pass-through except for
a few trouble channels. I would say that overall it is better
than I would normally get.

As to the box itself -- setup was very quick. The wizard scanned
and found all the channels plus a number of 'extras' -- several
PBS and things I don't usually get. Reception was unbelievably good --
I usually have a lot of interference over the air, and have problems
with the local 5/32 (CW?). But these were perfect with the box. The
antenna didn't need any adjustment for any channel -- it's an old rabbit
ears. Usually I am fussing with it for every channel.

The box itself is white -- no doubt identical to the Magnavox described
here. There are vent holes on the bottom and a couple of slots on
the side. It gets a little warm on the top, but so far not hot. I raised
it up by placing an old vhs tape under it, to give the bottom holes
more clearance. Maybe I'll try drilling some holes like someone here
suggested. However, if I hadn't read the warnings about Magnavox here,
I might not have noticed the warmth as being unusual.

The remote -- the buttons are small but well-spaced, and slightly mounded,
so there is no problem pushing them. There is no zoom on the remote.
I don't think this is as much of an issue as people have stated. You get
to the aspect through the menu. After a little playing with it, I decided to
leave everything in letterbox. Zoom would be my last choice.

An aspect setting (zoom-full-letterbox) seems to apply to all subchannels in
a range, but apparently can be set independently for channels. This isn't immediately
apparent, (especially since letterbox setting shows up differently on different
channels) because when you check the settings through the menu, it
shows your last choice, NOT what the channel is using. When you leave
the menu, you are also likely to set what it is showing -- so it might look like
the channels cannot be individually set!

There is no TV volume control on the remote. This doesn't bother me,
I'm used to having a pile of remotes for my TV and VCRs -- and I would
need my TV remote anyway when using the VCRs instead of the converter box.

According to the documentation, channels can be individually added, though I
haven't tried it, since I am getting all channels. The documentation also
suggests you can use a universal remote.

The remote also has: alt ch - (return to last channel button), display (info on
what you are watching, with signal strength meter), audio (choose another
language, if available), still (pause picture, but audio continues), epg.

EPG - the guide describes what is on, with a next arrow to view about 6 hours
on the channel you are watching. On a positive note -- it is partly
transparent, so you can continue to watch your show while looking ahead.
I suppose a full-screen guide would blank things out. Probably I will continue to
use something like TitanTV.com) to quickly overview the
digital channel offerings.

I made sure when buying this that I got the analog pass-though. But now I
don't know why I cared! Certainly next year it will be unimportant. For my
next one, I will probably try out one with an extended EPG like the Artec.

My main issue is with VCR recording. I usually have two hooked up on
an antenna splitter. The converter (any converter at present) pretty much
negates their use. I will probably just reach around the back of the TV
when I need them, and rehook them directly. Next year, of course, this
will be a problem when there is no analog at all.
post #58 of 95 Old 05-09-2008, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

... I still don't have my Philco, but on a lark I Googled TB100HH9 and ... started clicking on other vendors selling the Philco - and every one was out of stock!

As of May 9 I still don't have my Philco, but today I found a couple of online vendors claiming to have them in stock: BeachAudio.com has 199 of them for sale at $61.99, and HiTechWireless.com has them for $64.95. Also, Solid Signal (which has them seriously overpriced at $79.99) is now claiming the Philco ships in 2-5 days (down from 7-12 days). So maybe they'll start shipping again soon.
post #59 of 95 Old 05-09-2008, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Is there any difference, other than the brand name on the housing, between the Philco TB100HH9 and the Sylvania or Magnavox TB100MG9?  I've started to see the TB100MG9 trickle into Sears and KMart here in Chicago (the Sears in Ravenswood and the KMart in Mayfair) at $49.99.

On the other hand, the Wal-Mart in Niles, Illniois, just received what must be over a thousand more TB100MW9's (the model without analog passthrough) a couple of nights ago, and they're stacked in six or seven locations throughout the electronics department.
post #60 of 95 Old 05-09-2008, 11:21 PM

Depending on where you live-
found the Philco at Fred Meyers and they are taking coupons.
$49
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page