Zenith box DTT900 works better than InsigniaNS-DXA1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-21-2008, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased the Zenith model and the Insignia model converter boxes and the Zenith by far pulls in the stations 40 miles and plus away better. The insignia does not work as good when hooked up to the same rooftop antenna . I returned the Insignia for the same and again have the same results. The store thinks its my antenna, but the Zenith provides a dependable signal all the time. I know that these are the identical product, but as you see I have different results.The store will not let me keep trying their boxes, so I'm stuck with it. I plan to help several people with the transition, but will not purchase another Insignia box for anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-21-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxernut View Post

I purchased the Zenith model and the Insignia model converter boxes and the Zenith by far pulls in the stations 40 miles and plus away better. The insignia does not work as good when hooked up to the same rooftop antenna . I returned the Insignia for the same and again have the same results. The store thinks its my antenna, but the Zenith provides a dependable signal all the time. I know that these are the identical product, but as you see I have different results.The store will not let me keep trying their boxes, so I'm stuck with it. I plan to help several people with the transition, but will not purchase another Insignia box for anyone.

Is the manfacture date different on the Zenith model...possibly newer?
post #3 of 16 Old 03-21-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:

I bought with the Gov't coupon the Insignia from BB and a Digital Stream STB from Radio Shack. The Insignia works OK, but I did find the Digital Stream has a more sensitive receiver as it was able to pickup digital channels that the Insignia can't lock onto. The Digital Stream also has a more robust remote control (larger and bigger buttons).
post #4 of 16 Old 03-21-2008, 05:27 PM

As I recall the Zenith/Insignia box could have 1 of 2 possible tuners. It could be a difference in the tuners inside the box...

Just a guess.

Bob Diaz
post #5 of 16 Old 03-22-2008, 02:24 PM

The Insignia I have is a superior performer, better than my HDTV and better than my Panasonic digital dvr/vcr. I doubt there is any difference between Insignia and Zenith.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-22-2008, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh5916 View Post

Is the manfacture date different on the Zenith model...possibly newer?

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that BOTH manufacture dates were 12/07. When I bought the Insignia the majority of the boxes on display were 11/07, but had such good luck with the Zenith date of Dec 07 I figured the Insignia to be the same with a Dec 07 date also.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-22-2008, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDiaz View Post

As I recall the Zenith/Insignia box could have 1 of 2 possible tuners. It could be a difference in the tuners inside the box...

Just a guess.

Bob Diaz

That's a good guess Bob, but in my case both have the identical "LG" chip numbers and Sanyo tuners.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

i guess it must be the luck of the draw. look at my thread below called"my insignia".
post #9 of 16 Old 05-18-2008, 10:49 AM

Rumor has it that the Zenith and Insignia boxes are being recalled for lack of RF pass thru. Has anyone else heard about this development?
post #10 of 16 Old 05-18-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post

i guess it must be the luck of the draw. look at my thread below called"my insignia".

probbly the production line that day for either the box or the tuner can ..
Shrugh.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-18-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman1 View Post

Rumor has it that the Zenith and Insignia boxes are being recalled for lack of RF pass thru. Has anyone else heard about this development?

It wouldn't be a government recall, as analog pass-through isn't a requirement for these converters. Yesterday, there were plenty of DTT900s for sale at a local Circuit City.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh5916 View Post

It wouldn't be a government recall, as analog pass-through isn't a requirement for these converters. Yesterday, there were plenty of DTT900s for sale at a local Circuit City.

Not yet but it's possible the Community Broadcasters Association's lawsuit has merit. The FCC used the same All Channel Receiver Act from 1962 to force ATSC tuners in new televisions. That means a federal court might someday issue an injunction preventing the sale of CECBs without analog pass-through.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-18-2008, 08:39 PM

It seems obvious that the Zenith engineers did not anticipate problems with the transistion to digital broadcasting. For example a station that cannot broadcast at full digital power because their tower will not support the weight of a high power antenna array is a reality. Our only reliable reception is to revert back to analog. I am sure this probably is happening all over the country. Also it appears that the coupon program designers did not anticipate any customer disatisfaction with their choice of a converter box. It appears that the retailer will have to step in and bear the burden of keeping their customers happy.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-19-2008, 06:50 AM

APT (Analog Pass Through) for the vast majority will not be needed after the Feb. change over to DTV & will only have limited usefulness for some.

Many who have switched to DTV are saying do it now, don't wait, it's better ...
post #15 of 16 Old 05-19-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVette View Post

APT (Analog Pass Through) for the vast majority will not be needed after the Feb. change over to DTV & will only have limited usefulness for some.

There are still a lot of people who want it and need it, though.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page